PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to go about finding sponsors?

Everyonedoes
10-31-14, 8:57 am
So a friend of mine recently won a NPC NATIONAL QUALIFIER. Here a photo of him from the show.
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10735563_377325349088053_1014459429_n.jpg
So can anyone provide any insight on how to go about getting sponsored? Should he focus on setting up a professional looking Face Book, Twitter and Instagram? He has those but they are a mix of personal and BB stuff. Is there best way to contact the common, well known companies that may be willing to sponsor him? Email or phone calls or show up in person and request a meeting? Anything those of you who have gone through this process can tell me will be of a great help, thank you.

GunRock
12-17-14, 9:15 pm
Richard Hawthorne breaks down the sponsorship process. Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/t61iu2cPVsc

P Diesel
12-18-14, 11:58 am
why does he want to be sponsored? because itll be cool to be associated with some company or becuase he needs the backing and support of a company? also, if it was that important why is he not on here inquiring as to how to get a sponsorship for himself?

P

Kowboy
12-18-14, 1:22 pm
why does he want to be sponsored? because itll be cool to be associated with some company or becuase he needs the backing and support of a company? also, if it was that important why is he not on here inquiring as to how to get a sponsorship for himself?

P

I tried to sleep w/ P to get a sponsorship....all I got was a tshirt and a broken heart :(

P Diesel
12-18-14, 1:50 pm
I tried to sleep w/ P to get a sponsorship....all I got was a tshirt and a broken heart :(

it was a sweet tshirt tho wasnt it?

P

Kowboy
12-18-14, 2:19 pm
it was a sweet tshirt tho wasnt it?

P

It was, I haven't washed it yet so it still smells like Nix0r's balls and has fresh Higa stains on it.

ghost
12-18-14, 2:27 pm
It was, I haven't washed it yet so it still smells like Nix0r's balls and has fresh Higa stains on it.

Don't forget the awkward chaffing from his beard.....

Nix0r
12-18-14, 2:31 pm

"No excuses, eh? My balls are smooth."

It's all about the texture game.

ghost
12-18-14, 2:42 pm
"No excuses, eh? My balls are smooth."

It's all about the texture game.

he LOVED the texture.

Kowboy
12-18-14, 2:50 pm
I shaved mine to get the full textured experience from Nix

GUNZ
12-18-14, 8:43 pm
One day when im done with the sport I will write a big article on this!! This topic drives me nuts, lol

GunRock
12-18-14, 10:43 pm
From my perspective as a customer, Animal is the sort of company that would be most likely to sponsor somebody that showed a proven love for their brand. The guys who show up and volunteer to help out with the Cage etc. With that being said, I'm not sponsored and I get questions from people all of the time (I'm serious) about being sponsored who've never had the first Animal product! (Granted that's because I wear Animal stuff when I go to meets and I ghetto engineered my very own Animal Backpack so it looks like I've got juice... yeah you can't even buy that backpack in The Shop Son, how do I get sponsored and get my own backpack too?)

Being sponsored, from my experience with being sponsored by local nutrition shops and from my time competing in martial arts, is a second job. So if you're a sponsored athlete, you not only have to do whatever your primary job is and train, but also serve as a part of the marketing team for your sponsor. That means traveling when you don't feel like it, staying at events when everyone else gets to head home, etc. I've been at several meets where the sponsor booths are outside in the hall so you don't even get to see the lifting, just watch random people walk by on their way to the bathroom.

I linked Richard Hawthorne's video because I think he does a great job of explaining the hard work that goes into becoming a sponsored athlete but I still laugh when I see or hear this question.

P Diesel
12-22-14, 1:12 pm

HIGA stains dnt come out

it hurts SO good

P

Kowboy
12-22-14, 2:07 pm
Not sure what it is that he eats but you are right man. They never leave ya or your clothes. Can't seem to get rid of the taste either...

G Diesel
12-22-14, 3:23 pm
My advice would be to only reach out to companies that you feel strongly about. Have some standards, as I assume you'd only be able to represent a company you believed in. I know that is my case, and why I first approached Animal (and only Animal) many moons ago.

Beyond that, I'd say this: BE YOUR OWN SPONSOR. The less you have to depend on anyone else or answer to anyone else, the more freedom you'll have to be the man you really are. This would probably involve having a job in the real world, likely not directly involved with bodybuilding, but ultimately that could be a good thing in making you more diverse and multi-dimensional, not just as an athlete, but as a human being. If you're involved in a sponsorship, you want it to be a mutually beneficial partnership. An affiliation shouldn't define you as a person, it should simply enhance your life and your participation in your chosen sport, lifestyle or vocation.

Peace, G

Lottawheels
12-22-14, 9:25 pm
I guess I can't exactly help much here, animal approached me because of my background and impressive performance at my age, but I can say that I think it is important to be yourself. A lot of people put on a big facade to try and get companies to like them and realistically, to be a good fit the company should want you because of what they see in the real you. Just be true to yourself and hopefully the right fit will fall into place if and when the time is ready. It is a lot of work to be sponsored and unless you have a good relationship with your sponsor, it won't be worth it. So you should want to support them just as much as they support you. Don't just let any company have you and don't just market yourself to any company.

Swolepez
12-26-14, 10:33 pm
My advice would be to only reach out to companies that you feel strongly about. Have some standards, as I assume you'd only be able to represent a company you believed in. I know that is my case, and why I first approached Animal (and only Animal) many moons ago.

Beyond that, I'd say this: BE YOUR OWN SPONSOR. The less you have to depend on anyone else or answer to anyone else, the more freedom you'll have to be the man you really are. This would probably involve having a job in the real world, likely not directly involved with bodybuilding, but ultimately that could be a good thing in making you more diverse and multi-dimensional, not just as an athlete, but as a human being. If you're involved in a sponsorship, you want it to be a mutually beneficial partnership. An affiliation shouldn't define you as a person, it should simply enhance your life and your participation in your chosen sport, lifestyle or vocation.

Peace, G

Another spot on post by G Diesel ^^^

I enjoyed Ants video...being consistent for years on top of years..companies can't have someone who they can't trust, gotta be consistent and patient

Rex
12-28-14, 12:14 pm
From my experience getting a sponsorship is similar to applying for a job.
YOU have to take action. No company will call you up asking "may we please pay you?"

Visit expos and shows to make yourself known and talk to people in person. YouŽll immediately sense if theyŽre interested in you or not. They might ask you to send in your resume and youŽll have to follow up...

You can also just send out resumes to all companies you are interested in and wait for their reply. I talked to Victor Martinez when he was guestposing in Germany and he told me that this has been exactly how he landed his first sponsor deal. I think he had sent out something like 20 letters and only heard back from 3 or 4 companies.
But before you get discouraged remember, it only takes 1.

Sprint
12-28-14, 3:17 pm
Something I've always wondered myself. All I'll say is be yourself, so approach those that suit you. If you represent a Company/Brand, it'll be a 24/7 thing. Act like an egotistical douche or be a bit of a bully when the biggest guy in the gym isn't there, but be a mouse when he is, your bad rep filters into the Company you're representing or wishing to represent.

Approach the types of Company that appeal to & fit who you are & it shouldn't be an issue.

I've been asked if I'm sponsored by Animal before, because I'm always wearing Animal gear at the gym, track & around the house.

( Funny story, my girl's 5 year old is getting good with his reading now & is trying to read everything, & the other day I noticed him studying me & my shirt intently, next thing we hear is a hesitant but confident " Shut the fuck -" before we stopped him).

I wear my Animal gear & use their products, along with Universal, because I believe in their ethos. Only approach those who you believe in, because it'll show through in how you carry yourself whilst representing them.

In short, don't sell out.

Swolepez
12-28-14, 9:20 pm
I've been asked if I'm sponsored by Animal before, because I'm always wearing Animal gear at the gym, track & around the house.

Actually in the past 2 wks I've been mistaken of being a Universal Nutrition Rep on BB.com twice.....I had to tell both of them that I'm just a big fan of Universal/Animal....no lie, it felt good that people thought I was a Rep for Universal Nutrition lol

Sprint
12-29-14, 6:52 am
Actually in the past 2 wks I've been mistaken of being a Universal Nutrition Rep on BB.com twice.....I had to tell both of them that I'm just a big fan of Universal/Animal....no lie, it felt good that people thought I was a Rep for Universal Nutrition lol

I'll be honest, when I've been asked before I've felt real good.