PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Mentality-More than a state of mind

STRONGxMIND
11-01-14, 12:01 am
Alright well...heres my first post on my training log/personal journey. Nothing too fancy will be posted here probably for another 2 weeks or so as i am in the final weeks of my senior collegiate football season/final weeks of football ever. This is just a little bio/background info post to start things off in the right direction. To say I'm saddened and/or happy just wouldn't describe how i feel and i know that for some who have gone down this road before me knows what I'm talking about. That being said though, the reason why i chose to title my journey with "Warrior Mentality" is because as a warrior you have to learn how to overcome and persevere through the hard times. You have to be your own motivator when no one is there for you. Its more than a state of mind in the gym or on the field but in every day life. It is a persona in a sense. I view myself as part of the underdogs which translates over to the way i train on my own. No personal trainers, no real coaches to tell me what routine to do, none of that; out of this though some of my best friends and some people i hardly even know look up to me and come to me for advice on what to do and how to train, mind you i am in NO WAY a personal trainer or educated on this subject but i do research and look at articles and thoroughly read what up on what i enjoy doing and that is training. This past summer i decided to combine two different programs and create a 6 day a week training program for the little amount of time i had at home before i came back for training for football. At first i was apprehensive about if i made the right decisions on what to do, how often, etc. I decided to just go with it and see how it went for a couple weeks. I noticed changes rather quickly which was a huge confidence booster for myself and along with this i helped and trained one of my best friends to catch the iron bug when he hasn't even stepped foot in a gym at all before i came home. This made me push even harder and we fed off each others energy.

That was just a brief intro(i guess you could say that). Now the reason why i am deciding to put this up is because i have recently gotten my hands on Brian Carrolls 10/20/Life book. After these next 2 weeks the animal is going to come out of the cage. In season lifting is almost like weight lifting purgatory, at least for me. Lifting only 2 days a week and trying to get stronger yet not risking performance on the field can be tricky to do. You basically end up trying to "maintain" the strength you had coming into the season. I will probably post on here about some of the work outs ill do in my free time if i get a chance, usually the days after games. But again....once these next two weeks are done, its time to get after it. Im planning on competing in powerlifting meets and want to do one some time in summer 2015 in the USPA fed because when I'm home they have meets relatively close to me. If any of you out there have any advice on meets/the 10/20/L book/program, or some supps i would greatly appreciate it!!

The supps ill be on are:
Ultra Whey Pro-Protein
Animal Pak-Multi
Juiced Aminos-Amino Acids
M Stak-Any kind of help or personal experiences would be awesome to have shared
BSN HyperFX(as of right now, usually RageXL)-Preworkout

So yeah thats basically it to start this off. Hope you all enjoy if you're reading this in the coming times. Feel free to give feed back any time!

STRONGxMIND
11-05-14, 8:52 pm
so basically I'm still trying to figure out what weights fit in the RPEs as of right now since I'm used to going off of percentages so much.

but heres the full workout

Bench 5x5 at RPE 6 but finished with a top set around 7ish
-215, 225, 240, 250, 260

Floor press 2x6 RPE 6, probably coulda kicked it up about 5 or 10 more pounds
-225, 235 like i said probably could done a lil more weight but these felt real good for not doing them in forever.

Dumbbell Incline 3x12
-60, 65, 65

Lat Pulldowns 3x12
-130, 135 these felt really good probably will bump up to 140 and just do all 3 sets with it next time

DB Hammer Curls 2-3x12 ended up doing 3 sets
-40, 45, 45

Band tricep pushdowns
-100 Total reps with i guess you could say a light band, i don't specifically have the EliteFTS one.

All in all though still trying figure everything out and get the weights out for RPE and going off feel is definitely a lot harder than what i thought. lol. Excited to get fully into this though. I feel like this a good program I've laid out for myself.

STRONGxMIND
11-19-14, 7:36 pm
Alright well season is finally over and now i can start getting after it and get back on a solid lifting routine. Still in the process of trying to get used to the RPE system compared to just straight percentages.

Monday: Was kinda rushed on this but still got majority of the work in.

Deadlift: 5x5 top set of 315 sumo RPE 6
High Rack Pull: 2x6x275
Close Grip Lat Pulldowns: 3x12x140
Shrugs: 3x12x315
Facepulls: 3x12x75

Tuesday: This day was real shitty for a bench day for me. Just was feeling drained all day.

Bench: 5x5 Top set of 265 only got 4. really pissed at this.
Floor Press: 2x6x235 these went good.
Incline DB Press: 3x12x65s
Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns: 3x12x145-150
Hammer Curls: 3x12x50s
Band pushdowns 100 reps total

Wednesday: Phew my legs are weak from season, and its starting to piss me off because in season training didn't do shit to maintain anything based on only lifting twice a week.

Squat: 5x5 top set of 275 felt this was right around an RPE 6 so that was good.
Front Squat: 2x6x155
Leg Press: 3x12x3 plates on each side i don't know the exact poundage
Arched GM: 3x12x115 probably coulda gone heavier.
Banded Leg extensions 100 total reps w/ Double Red Minis

All in All i guess its a somewhat decent starting point but we'll see.

STRONGxMIND
11-25-14, 2:10 pm
Thanksgiving Week
Monday: Squat day RPE 6

Squats: 4x4 with a top set of 290. Wasn't too bad, probably should went with 280-285 or so but overall pleased with this.
Front Squats: 3x6x155 trying to hit the inner quad real hard in this "off season" and also i know that front squats have huge carryover.
Leg Press: usually do these but didn't have a leg press in the weight room of my roommates high school.
Single leg GM/DL: 4x12x40lb dumbbells
Leg Extensions 100 total repsx50lbs. My legs were wrecked after this haha but hitting that inner quad real hard.

overall ready for the deload week next week and hone in on technique and speed. Still a lil frustrated with the lack of weight I've been moving but just gotta keep pushing forward because i know it'll all come back.

STRONGxMIND
11-26-14, 8:20 pm
Tuesday: Bench

Bench 4x4 RPE 6 with a top set at 255 still evaluating what weights are what RPEs
Floor Press: 3x6 was at my roommates cousins high school weight room and they had a specialty bar kinda like a football bar but just had two pronated grips instead of 3 on each side.
Incline DB press: 4x12x60s
Lat Pulldowns: 4x12x130
Hammer Curls: 3x10x50s
Tricep Band Press down 100 total reps light band.

all in all good day, fun using the specialty bar and being with friends. Starting to feel better bout the strength coming back.

STRONGxMIND
12-01-14, 10:49 pm
Start of a new week, didn't get in as much as i wanted to on break but i feel good. Was supposed to be in a Deload week but my body didn't feel taxed or tired because it was almost a week since i hit squats. Todays session went really well.

Squat. 3x3, working sets w/top set were 275, 295, 310. These felt real smooth.
Front squat: 4x6x145. Usually these kill me but today these felt strong, everything just felt strong today.
Leg Press: 3x10 4 plates on each side.
Goodmornings: 3x10x135
Leg Extensions: 100 total reps with 55lbs. these are hell for finishing but i can definitely tell the difference doing them.

all in all a really good squat day. Looking forward to bench tomorrow.

STRONGxMIND
12-02-14, 9:19 pm
Bench day RPE 7

Today felt really good. Finally feeling confidant about the weights and being smarter.

Bench: 3x3, working sets were 245, 255 with 270 as the top set. This was a huge confidence booster for me today. Really stoked on this.
Floor Press: 4x6x225 with fat grips. Just to change the stimulus a little.
DB Incline press: 3x10x70s. Definitely coulda gone up to 75s
Lat Pulldowns: 3x10x155.
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3x12x45s
Triceps 100 total reps.

All in all this is looking up to be a good week.

STRONGxMIND
12-08-14, 1:28 am
alright so i know i missed a few days so here we go.

Wednesday:
RPE 7
Deadlifts: 3x3 ended with a top set of 365 sumo.
Block Pulls: 4x6 at 315 sumo
Shrugs: 3x10x365
Barbell Rows: 3x10x165
100 reps leg curls.

Im still doing the 3 days of the 10/20/Life program but i added in some extra bench work on thursdays and sundays to work on bench volume because i will be training soon for the national D2/D3 combine/pro day and we do the 225 rep test. So gotta get ready for that. Football for me is not over til i can't do anything with it.

Thursday
Bench:
warm ups: 165x8, 195x5
working sets: 5x3x230
2xAMRAPx195 which were 15, 13 i believe
Close grip: 3xAMRAPx230 only got about 4-6 on these. my arms were fried
Incline DB: 12x55s, 10x65s, 8x80s, 6x85s
Skull Crushers: 12,10,8,6,5 going up in weight.
Arnold Press: 4x12x45s
DB Fly: 4x10x55s

Sunday: Today felt really strong.
Bench:
warm ups: 165x8, 195x6, 230x5
working sets: 5x3x260 these felt really strong and considering i was barely doing this for 4 or 5 a couple weeks, but the speed on these made me really happy that I'm getting my way back up there.
2xAMRAPx230 which were both sets of 10.
Flat DB Bench: 10x70s, 8x80, 6x90s, 5x100s again these felt strong and it felt good to hit the 100s since i haven't touched them in a long ass time.
Incline BB Bench: 3x5x185. not at all my strongest but the amount of was done before definitely took its toll.
DB French press: 4x15x55 DB. kept it light because i think I have a lil bit of tendinitis going on in my elbow. Probably time to get a compression cuff from slingshot.
Lat Pulldowns: 4x12x140
Military Press 4x12x50s

Looking forward to this next week of lifting as I'm feeling good and stronger each week. Also really hoping i can make the best of the opportunities that have been set in front of me. Wont let it slip through my fingers. Always the underdog.

STRONGxMIND
12-08-14, 8:06 pm
Monday:
Squats @ 7RPE 5x5 with a top set of 280(beat first week by 5 pounds)
Front squat: 4x4x175
Leg Press: 4x10x4 Plates on each side
Deficit Stiff Leg Deadlift: 4x10x185 Subbing these in for GMs because i just feel these more than i do in GMs plus this will help out my deadlift and my lower back strength a little better.
Leg Extension 100 reps @ 55lbs.

Pretty solid squat day today, i may have tweaked a hammie cuz on the last 2 sets of squats i could feel it pulling a little but i think its cuz i didn't warm up properly. Gonna roll them out later tonight and break up some of that tissue. Hopefully it'll be good by Deadlift day.

Bench tomorrow. Stoked to see how it goes.

STRONGxMIND
12-10-14, 1:02 am
Got the bench going up....on a tuesday...

ITE! so tuesday...bench day....lets just sayyyy it got a lil weird/intense.

Here we go!

RPE 7
Bench: 5x5 with a top set of 265 which beat my previous 5x5 by 15 pounds. Felt really well.
Floor Press: 4x4x240
Incline DB Press: 4x10x75s
Lat Pulldown: 4x10x160
Hammer Curl: 4x12x45s
100 rep total tri extensions.

All in all really stoked on this!

STRONGxMIND
12-11-14, 3:05 pm
This week has been rough on the legs. 5x5s just suck.

Wednesday: Deadlift day.

Deadlifts: 5x5 with top set at 335 @ 7RPE
Block Pulls: 4x4x335
Rows: 4x10 did T bar rows but didn't really like em, i usually use the chest supported rows back home because i can really pull farther into my back.
Shrugs: 4x10x365 with the last set being 405
100 total reps leg curls 60lbs

STRONGxMIND
12-12-14, 5:13 pm
Bench:
Warmup: 180x8
210x5
Working Sets: 5x3x245
2xAMRAPx210 got 12, 13
Incline DB: 65x12, 75sx10, 80x8, 90x6
Skullcrushers: 12,10,8,6,5 worked up to a hard 5 with 45s on each side.
Arnold Press: 4x12x45s
Flys: 4x10x60
Rows: 4x10x130

STRONGxMIND
12-22-14, 9:09 pm
Back home for break, took a reload week which is why i didn't post that much.

RPE 7
Bench: 4x4 beat week 2s Top set, working sets were 240, 250, 260, 275 which beat my previous top set from week 2 by 20 pounds. this was a good confidence boost and good start to the week.
Floor Press: 4x4 started with 245 for 2 sets but knew i wouldn't hit the full sets and reps so knocked it down to 240.
Incline DB: 3x10x70s
Hammer Curls: 3x15x50s
Band Tricepsx100 reps totalxlight band

Looking forward to this week, feeling really well and was a lil iffy coming off a deload.

STRONGxMIND
12-25-14, 3:10 am
This workout was pretty damn short and didn't get all that i wanted in because i was at my girls schools gym but i got the main stuff in atlast.

Squat: 4x4 with a top set at 315@RPE 7. these felt pretty good, probably coulda been an RPE 8 but legs have been feeling strong lately. This beat my week 2 4x4 top set by 25lbs. so thats good. Also back in my Nike Romolaeos with the raised heel and i gotta get adjusted to them again compared to my Reebok Power shoes.

Leg Press: 3x10x4 plates on each side. These killed my calves in my squat shoes but i like it.

Leg extension 100 reps at 50-60 pounds or so.

Like i said i had to cut it short cuz there were just bunch of people. Didn't do front squats or stiff leg dead. BUT its all good...legs are feeling it.

STRONGxMIND
12-26-14, 10:39 pm
Didn't get a chance to do a secondary upper body day but today was deadlift day. Today felt really well.

Deadlifts: 4x4 with a top set at 370. these felt super smooth and fast considering how sucky my sumo pulls are.
block pulls: 4x4x345
chest supported rows: 3x10x2 plates and a 25
Shrugs: 3x10x365
100 reps hamstring curlx75

STRONGxMIND
12-29-14, 10:16 pm
Today was really good for bench. Finally seeing a huge difference in my strength. Felt really strong.

Bench: 3x3@RPE7 hit a top set of 290.
Floor press: 4x4x240
DB Incline: 3x10x70s probably coulda gone up to 75s
Lat Pulldown: 3x10x130+doubled mini band. I got this lil tweak from Chris Duffin and I'm probably gonna start doing this more. Felt really in the contraction of the lats. Just accommodating resistance as much as if you were to use bands on squats and bench.
Hammer Curls: 3x12x55s
Iso pulldowns: 3x10x2 plates on each side just to hit more lat cuz i want them mother fuckas to grow.
Finished with 100 rep band pushdowns.

STRONGxMIND
01-13-15, 3:13 am
So i didn't see much difference in strength on the 10/20/Life program other than my squat. Ended up being referred a basic intermediate program called the Texas Method. And well since the start of it today...i feel good. So heres the first day.

Squat: 5x5x305 just a couple weeks ago i was barely able to hit 315 for 3-5 and to do only 10 pounds under that for 5 sets of 5 reps was huge for me.
Bench w/ Paused reps: 5x5x230 still gotta used to pause but still strong and could feel it.
Sumo Deadlifts: 1x5x380 decided to go with a lower number on this so i could really focus on getting my sumo form and strength up

Accessory:
Hammer Curls: 3x12-15x45s
DB Shrugs 3x12-15x115s

Sometimes you gotta step back and go to the basics and not over analyze everything. This is tried and true method and I've seen nothing but good things about it. Really looking forward to my raw strength getting back up there.