PDA

View Full Version : The Road To Redemption: 2015 Canadian Nationals

HEAVYD
11-16-14, 9:30 am
Follow my new Journey... To the 2015 Canadian Nationals.

In 2013 I competed at my first nationals with no expectations. I just wanted to see how I sized up against the best bodybuilders in my country. Of course I wanted to win and knew I was a good bodybuilder but you never know these days. I ended up placing 3rd out of a big lineup and a lot of people thought I had what it took to one day win the show. The 2 guys ahead of me that year both earned their IFBB Pro Cards.

So going into 2014, everyone had very high expectations for me. Including myself.

2014 I had a terrible offseason and a late start to contest prep starting at 10 weeks out. Looking back, I should have just sat out 2014 but instead I tried to cram a 20 week prep into 10 weeks and run off my momentum I had from 2013. That was a big mistake. I placed 7th... For the first time in my life I really felt like a failure. When I got home the next day I got on the phone with my coach Chris Aceto. I told him I wanted to win my next show.

We devised a plan starting that day to be my absolute best for the 2015 Canadians Nationals. Here I am.

Looking back I think getting my ass kicked was one of the best things that could have happened to me. Its given me a new found hunger to work that much harder. I'm doing everything I can to make 2015 my year.

J U S T I N
11-17-14, 2:35 pm
Sub'd. This is gonna be a good Journey...

Universal Rep
11-17-14, 2:44 pm
Sub'd. This is gonna be a good Journey...

x2. Subbed as well.

HEAVYD
11-17-14, 5:56 pm
well its been about 10 weeks since nationals and I have had a very good offseason so far. ive got my weight as high as 280lbs and still staying relatively lean. I decided to start training really heavy and set some new PR's after the show, primarily on my pressing movements. bench press / dumbbell shoulder press etc. everything was going great! was growing and getting stronger every week. I hit a new PR with the 150lbs dumbbell's on incline press for 18 reps and was working my way back to 5 plates on bench press until my tricep /elbow started to really bother me. I gave it a couple weeks and it never went away I was forced to back off the heavy presses and any tricep work because it was so painful. I just saw a sports medicine doctor here in Toronto and it turns out I have a small tear in my tricep tendon. Doctor is giving me a liquid plasma injection at the end of the month. He is very confident I will be as good as new, so its not the end of the world but definitely made me stop and think ?........ maybe its not a good idea to warm up with 315lbs on the bench press lol.... I really have to pay more attention to warming up and getting my tendons ready for the heavy weights!

Altered Beast
11-20-14, 12:07 pm
Subbed!

DANO
11-25-14, 10:25 pm
I'm in!

HEAVYD
11-27-14, 12:34 am
whats up guys.....just moved to new house this past weekend. at the back of my property there is a 700 sq ft garage/workshop .First thing i did when i moved in was renovate that 700 sq ft building into a wicked gym!!!!!. Over the last 5-6 months i bought all the choice pieces of equipment i wanted. im not a huge fan of the big commercial gyms... i hate all the fluff... all the small talk... when im in the gym its all business! i cant wait to have no distractions and only focus on the goal infront of me. as some you know ive been dealing with a minor tear in my tricep tendon. Tm is my app for my liquid plasma injection which will put me out of the gym for 10 days. Not to thrilled about taking the time off the gym but on the bright side ill have my gym ready when its time to get back to work and my tendon will be healthy.

Theonidus
11-27-14, 1:36 am
Subbed.

HEAVYD
11-28-14, 1:35 pm
follow up on the prp injection. got it done yesterday. I was pretty anxious to get outa there the minute I got there. doctor began by drawing 30cc of blood which really isn't that much when u consider when u donate u give 500cc. then a big ass needle right into the tricep tendon to freeze it. that hurt! they spin the blood for a hour as I patiently waited. then load the 30cc back up into a syringe and put the blood directly into the tricep tendon to allow the tendon to heal. the prp injection was painful because all the pressure from 30cc of blood going into the tendon... but the pain afterwards was much worse for me.... like somebody took a sludge hammer to my elbow...first time in my life I had needed pain killers to get rid of the pain. feeling much better today! I originally thought I only had to take 10 days off from gym but doctor told me no training for atleast 3 weeks. was pretty pissed about that! will see how its feeling after 2 weeks

DANO
11-28-14, 4:56 pm
Damn... That doesn't sound fun!
You should pit pics up of your gym.

HEAVYD
12-01-14, 1:55 pm
Damn... That doesn't sound fun!
You should pit pics up of your gym.

wasn't fun at all!! ill definitely post some pics...... hopefully by next week its close to finished and I can take some . maybe even shoot a video in a couple weeks when my tricep healed up.

DANO
12-02-14, 1:55 am
Looking forward to it!

HEAVYD
12-05-14, 9:15 pm
its been really tough staying outa the gym for the last week. I literally have not done anything all week. since im forced to take a break from training I figured it would be a good idea to back off the food and supplement's a bit to give my body a brea. it hasn't been easy and ive lost 13lbs over the last 8 days. definitely hard mentally but I know as soon as I get back at it everything will come back. luckily ive been keeping busy with my new house and finishing my home gym. My tricep tendon is feeling pretty good so im going to try to get in the gym Tuesday and start training but ill have to train upper body very very light.

Swolepez
01-09-15, 2:32 pm
So how has the last month been? Have you got to test out you home gym a lot? Hope to see the pics soon..

HEAVYD
01-13-15, 2:37 pm
So how has the last month been? Have you got to test out you home gym a lot? Hope to see the pics soon..

hey Bro, yep got back to some light training over the last 2-3 weeks. each week been increasing the weight really slowly on any pressing or pushdown movements that involve my triceps. only muscles I can train full intensity right now are legs and back. ive been working around tricep as best. it hasn't healed as fast as I would have liked it to but im hoping over the next couple weeks it heals more. even if it doesn't heal 100% I think ill be able to work around it and get it fixed in the summer after my show. home gym is great! all the equiptment is set up and im training in there...... just waiting on the mirrors to get installed and proper lights. after those get installed pretty much all done! just got a Yoke bar from elite fts yesterday and tried it out for the first time...... it feels awesome!!!¸

DANO
01-31-15, 12:51 am
Damn, sorry that the tri isn't 100% yet, but that is sick that the home gym is up and running!
I'm with Swolepez, and can't wait to see the pics!

HEAVYD
02-01-15, 4:10 pm
Damn, sorry that the tri isn't 100% yet, but that is sick that the home gym is up and running!
I'm with Swolepez, and can't wait to see the pics!

it actually been feeling pretty good lately. only discomfort I have is on flat barbell bench press. yesterday I did shoulders for the first time in 8 weeks or so and still was able to dumbbell press with the 110lbs dumbbells with no pain. looking forward to my follow up appointment for the tear... I feel likes its healed!

HEAVYD
02-20-15, 12:34 am
Hooked up with my coach Chris aceto last week and we started our official contest prep. We are 16 weeks out right now. Diet still has lots of food and cardio is at zero I get a cheat meal 1x per week which really helps me mentally. The meal obviously helps but I also enjoy being able to go out with family and friends and enjoy food and company. Tricep feeling good the last 2 weeks of training. Back to moving some good weight on pressing movements with no discomfort...... All in all things are going great!

Pale Rider
02-28-15, 7:52 pm
Great to have another canadian on the team

Jay Nera
02-28-15, 11:48 pm
Great to have another canadian on the team

Do people from the T dot O dot consider themselves canadians?

Wlecome aboard dude. See you at the Cage soon.

HEAVYD
03-10-15, 10:00 pm
Do people from the T dot O dot consider themselves canadians?

Wlecome aboard dude. See you at the Cage soon.

LOL, Thanks man. was nice meeting you. Crazy being 10 feet away and seeing those lifts!

HEAVYD
03-18-15, 10:00 pm
12 weeks out from provincials And 17 out from nationals. Been dieting slowly for the last 4 weeks. Calories still high and cardio is moderate at this point. I'm down to 260lbs and I've never been this big and lean pre contest. I've been bigger and leaner before but only after a show when your body is on a anabolic war path and bodyfat is low from months of dieting. Been training with Antoine couple times a week since he moved to Toronto. we just filmed a chest workout yesterday. we will definitely be doing lots of videos together.

Altered Beast
03-19-15, 1:49 pm
12 weeks out from provincials And 17 out from nationals. Been dieting slowly for the last 4 weeks. Calories still high and cardio is moderate at this point. I'm down to 260lbs and I've never been this big and lean pre contest. I've been bigger and leaner before but only after a show when your body is on a anabolic war path and bodyfat is low from months of dieting. Been training with Antoine couple times a week since he moved to Toronto. we just filmed a chest workout yesterday. we will definitely be doing lots of videos together.

D, we'd love to see pics!

HEAVYD
03-19-15, 9:54 pm
D, we'd love to see pics!

I not sure how to post pics on the forum.. I just posted one from my shoulder workout today on instagram. dorian_hamilton

HEAVYD
05-15-15, 12:48 pm
hey Guys, I'm going to keep this thread rolling over the next 2 months. Im currently 3 weeks out from Provincials here in ontario then another 5 weeks till nationals. total 8 weeks of prep left. Im as big as i have ever been leading into a show. I'm 255lbs right now and feeling pretty good. my condition isn't going to be crazy for provincials but come nationals its going to be a pretty crazy package! a lot of you guys know i was dealing with a tricep tear and was a pretty big set back this offseason. I'm very happy to say it feels like its 90% healed and not really a issue with my training. however i haven't been pushing the presses as heavy as i used to. well its time to train some back!!!! i have 2 back sessions per week since its a weak point today workout is going to look like this:

Seated Rows 3x 12 reps (medium to light weight with a lot of insolation and hard contraction) 3x 10 reps ( heavy weight ) 6 sets total
Close Grip Pulldowns 3x 12 reps (medium to light weight with a lot isolation and hard contraction) 3x 10 reps ( heavy weight) 6 sets total
T bar rows 2x 12 (medium light weight) 2x 12 (heavy weight) 4 sets total
1 arm dumbell row on a incline bench 4x 12 reps (medium to heavy weight focus on a hard contraction) 4 sets total
dumbell shrugs 3 x 15 reps

total sets 23 sets

pre workout supps
2 scoops animal rage XL
10g BCAA powder
2g L-carnitine
5g citrulline malate
* i add all this to my Rage.

Intra workout supps
2 scoops Animal Juiced Aminos

HEAVYD
05-17-15, 1:41 pm
today is a high day meaning a refeed after a full week of low carb dieting. all week carbs have been between 90-150g. fat is pretty low aswell. total of 2 whole egg's with breakfast and flank steak at night. today looks like this

meal 1
12 egg whites
1 cup oatmeal

meal 2
9oz flank steak
8oz potato

meal 3 ( pre workout meal)
60g animal whey
3 muffins

meal 4 ( post workout meal)
Burger
double order fries

meal 5
10 oz haddock
1/2 cup sushi rice

meal 6
16 egg whites

Altered Beast
05-18-15, 9:46 am
I really like the way you have your diet setup.

HEAVYD
05-19-15, 9:30 am
I really like the way you have your diet setup.

thanks man. love my high carb days. I even like froot loops vs the muffins but Chris Aceto wants me to do the muffins im assuming because they are very very calorie dense with high carbs and fats.

Altered Beast
05-19-15, 1:10 pm
thanks man. love my high carb days. I even like froot loops vs the muffins but Chris Aceto wants me to do the muffins im assuming because they are very very calorie dense with high carbs and fats.

Absolutely! Muffins have sugar, butter and eggs in them! Perfect Powerlifter food, but it masses me up like a pregnant woman =\

Any vids lately? I don't have the Instagrams.

HEAVYD
05-21-15, 7:14 pm
Absolutely! Muffins have sugar, butter and eggs in them! Perfect Powerlifter food, but it masses me up like a pregnant woman =\

Any vids lately? I don't have the Instagrams.

you gotta get instagram! i try to post some weekly updates on there.

HEAVYD
05-21-15, 7:18 pm
last 2 days complete torture!!! 1 hour cardio a.m and 1 hour cardio p.m with training session after meal 2. carbs are low around 120g. been training alone lately at my home gym. this week one of my friends fouad abiad who some of you might know been getting me to come to the gym with him to give me a extra push. last 3 days he absolutely smashed me in the gym. after yesterday leg day i was so exhausted i actually fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in a field! not good! luckily i was ok and not to much damage to vehicle.

s4rgonnn
05-21-15, 9:35 pm
last 2 days complete torture!!! 1 hour cardio a.m and 1 hour cardio p.m with training session after meal 2. carbs are low around 120g. been training alone lately at my home gym. this week one of my friends fouad abiad who some of you might know been getting me to come to the gym with him to give me a extra push. last 3 days he absolutely smashed me in the gym. after yesterday leg day i was so exhausted i actually fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in a field! not good! luckily i was ok and not to much damage to vehicle.

Is your cardio steady or interval? I had been doing some interval cardios, but now i prefer walking. Which is better?

HEAVYD
05-21-15, 9:48 pm
Is your cardio steady or interval? I had been doing some interval cardios, but now i prefer walking. Which is better?

hey Bro, my cardio varies. if i do long sessions ill do steady state. if i do HIT ill do shorter cardio sessions. 2 minutes easy 30-40 seconds very intense repeat. i think both are beneficial.

HEAVYD
05-22-15, 2:45 pm
after 2 days torture.... 2 hour cardio and 120g carbs.... today is a high carb day!!! thank God!

meal 1
14 egg whites
1.5 cup oatmeal

meal 2
10oz haddock
1 cup rice / 1/2 cup vegetables

meal 3 ( pre workout)
2 scoop Animal whey
3 muffins

meal 4
10oz haddock
2 cup rice

meal 5
10oz haddock
1/2 cup rice / 1/2 cup vegetables

meal 6
14 egg whites

HEAVYD
06-02-15, 12:49 pm
so here we are, 3 days out from the provincials which is the amateur show tied in with the Toronto pro supershow. its been a long prep. i started dieting at the arnold classic which makes it around 17 weeks. i originally planned on continuing this prep into the canadian nationals which is 5 weeks after. the last 3 weeks has been really hard on me. earlier in prep i had been dealing with some family issues that need to be addressed and prepping for shows makes that pretty difficult. So as of right now I've decided to do this show this weekend re-qualify for nationals and take the year to prepare for Canadian nationals 2016. who knows maybe if i take 1-2 weeks off after this show i will regain momentum and jump into nationals. feeling pretty good leading into this show i won't be as conditioned as i want to be since i did have plans to do the nationals 5 weeks later but i will be 90% or so. I think ill weigh in around 247-250. I've been on very low carbs for the last 2 weeks and still 248lbs in the morning. starting my carb up tm!!!!!

s4rgonnn
08-07-15, 8:15 am
so here we are, 3 days out from the provincials which is the amateur show tied in with the Toronto pro supershow. its been a long prep. i started dieting at the arnold classic which makes it around 17 weeks. i originally planned on continuing this prep into the canadian nationals which is 5 weeks after. the last 3 weeks has been really hard on me. earlier in prep i had been dealing with some family issues that need to be addressed and prepping for shows makes that pretty difficult. So as of right now I've decided to do this show this weekend re-qualify for nationals and take the year to prepare for Canadian nationals 2016. who knows maybe if i take 1-2 weeks off after this show i will regain momentum and jump into nationals. feeling pretty good leading into this show i won't be as conditioned as i want to be since i did have plans to do the nationals 5 weeks later but i will be 90% or so. I think ill weigh in around 247-250. I've been on very low carbs for the last 2 weeks and still 248lbs in the morning. starting my carb up tm!!!!!

Low carb is pretty hard. i was always hungry when low carb diet. your fat macro high or moderate?

HEAVYD
08-24-15, 8:54 pm
Low carb is pretty hard. i was always hungry when low carb diet. your fat macro high or moderate?

on that diet i was on a very low fat diet. it was a nightmare. i recommend keeping some fats in your diet.

Altered Beast
08-25-15, 11:53 am
He's back!