PDA

View Full Version : Strength Program

dergrinch20
11-18-14, 5:07 am
Hey Everyone:)
I`m from Germany and a very big fan of the forum and the page and the animals!

I've been doing hypertrophy training for a about 9 months. I did not have a good success.

I`ll starting a Powerlifting Program or Strength Program like SS, Wendler 531, Greyskull LP, Candito or something like that.

My goals are strength and aesthetics. Not a Powerlifting competition and i dont want to be a really powerlifter but i want to get strong with a good look.

What would you recommend?

zubda345
11-18-14, 5:31 am
Training with heavy weights. (As heavy as u can)
Rep range 5-8 reps.
Low rest periods.
EATING LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER!

BENCH. SQUATS. DEADS. And then more of all 3 of them.

Embee
11-18-14, 9:41 am
First of all, welcome to the FORVM!

Starting Strength is definitely something I'd recommend if you're looking to gain strength as a relative beginner or even an intermediate.
For many people this is what starts their journey into strength training and powerlifting.
I've done Starting Strength as well for quite a while and made some great progress, both in strength and mass.

I've also looked into your other suggestions and my first pick would be the lineair program by Jonnie Candito, the Power/Hypertrophy programme to be precise.
In my opinion programme keeps it simple and has you working on both strength and hypertrophy.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the choices in programmes out there, but just pick one you like or makes sense to you and stick to it for a good while (atleast three months?).
Don't be afraid to opt for one of the programmes for beginners, because in my opinion it takes a lot of hours to consider yourself an intermediate or an expert.
Being a beginner has its upsides though, as the progress will be relatively fast.
You can always get into the more complicated programmes later on, but for now, 'keep it simple' would be my advice.

As Zubda already said, your diet is also a very important part of the equation, so try to spend some time researching this as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

dergrinch20
11-18-14, 1:59 pm
Thanks a lot:)

Now i will start new with the Basics.

I have 4 favourite Programs: PTW, Candito, SS and Greyskull LP. I think the are all good.

What do you think is the best choice for me? Do you try one of these Programs except SS? Or you know another great Program?

Sorry, but i am very uncertain and i will start perfectly. I made to many errors:(

Embee
11-19-14, 1:52 pm
There's no shame in making mistakes man. The most important thing is that you learn from them. If you do that, mistakes are in fact very valuable.

It's hard to say what would be they best choice for you, as this is very personal. What works best for me, might not work best for you.
Each of your suggestions would be a very solid choice and there's no doubt in my mind that you'll do well by using one of those programmes.

rainman
11-21-14, 3:54 pm
I'd look in to Wendler's 531 Boring But Big template if it's size and strength you are after. I can't recommend it from personal experience, but I know a couple of people who have used it to great success.

amar655
11-21-14, 10:06 pm
Greyskull LP is a gem, just discovered it and I am growing like a monster. I use incline bench and front squat instead of back squats and flat bench for personal reasons. The Last set of AMRAP lets me get bigger/stronger while deloading and I fell like greyskull LP is more aimed for physique over maximum strength, but strength gains are still great. Went from a 115 pound incline bench for 8 reps max to a 155 for 15 reps in 3 weeks. (Did some cheating and added more than 5 pounds some sessions.)

Jay Nera
11-30-14, 12:23 am
Training with heavy weights. (As heavy as u can)
Rep range 5-8 reps.
Low rest periods.
EATING LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER!

BENCH. SQUATS. DEADS. And then more of all 3 of them.

Definitely gotta hit the compound movements and hit them hard.

Add these to the list as well, overhead press, pull ups, rows, dips.

moderate to heavy loads moved at moderate to higher volumes couples with lots of food and rest.

dergrinch20
11-30-14, 11:05 am
Could you recommend a good Program for my goals and with experience?

I`ll do a established Program because i`m pretty unsure.

Pale Rider
11-30-14, 4:41 pm
i like to just build 5x5s pick a good starting weight and add a couple pounds ever week or you could try russian peaking cycle that builds volume pretty fast

dergrinch20
11-30-14, 4:52 pm
Which 5x5 is the best for gain mass and strength?

Which Russian Program could you recommend?

I`ll try something.

MR. C
12-03-14, 1:28 pm
I have had great success with the 5 by 5 program. GD luck.

dergrinch20
12-03-14, 2:30 pm
Which 5x5?

TNvet
12-20-14, 2:18 pm
I am doing 5x5 now , with bench , dead , squats and OHP each m/w/th/f , adding 5lbs for upper / 10lbs for lower when i complete a 5x5 at that weeks weight. I am in the military and eat at chow-hall ( poor food quality ) and have to run 3-4x a week and i am growing and getting stronger. I do 3-4 accessory lifts to support the big lifts. I think its awesome for someone starting. I really enjoy it.

Cellardweller
12-22-14, 1:40 pm
Which 5x5?

You can either pyramid up the weight for 5 sets of five building up to a 5 rep max, or you can do a straight weight (the same weight) for 5 sets. The choice is yours. Challenge yourself. Push your limits. Just get in the gym and do something. What have you been doing since this thread was started?