PDA

View Full Version : "True Brotherhood" by P Diesel

Animal
11-20-14, 1:02 pm
"The crazy thing about The Cage is that most lifters will never get an opportunity to showcase their ability in that particular venue. Many athletes have a bucket list, so to speak, of events they have always wanted to participate in or be invited to. Whether it represents a status symbol, a rite of passage, or simply personal achievement, The Cage has been atop many of those lists. Knowing this, I am infinitely more astounded that I am thought to have enough worth as an athlete to be invited to lift in 2012 and 2013, even after my back surgery and rehabilitation.

So looking forward The Cage in '14, I wanted to do something special and set myself apart – something no one has ever seen before, something unfathomable. So I began to work on eccentric lifts to exploit my strengths while prepping for The Night of The Living Dead Pro Deadlift Invitational. You see, even though you might have a contest or meet approaching imminently, you are always thinking about The Cage and conscious of your time frame leading up to it. Before I ever get the call up, I have already begun Cage prep months prior. I know many of us as athletes do. We all want to put on a good show and we all take our lifting exhibitions very seriously.

So you can imagine my surprise when I heard the news. “What, you don't want me to lift? You want me to emcee and announce the other athletes?” Suddenly, it hit me all at once. Even though I was being told this was an honor and a privilege, I just didn't see it that way. Everyone around me was excited and people told me this meant that I had so much more to offer than just being an “athlete”. But I keep thinking to myself, “So I'm a cheerleader now? Do I get a wig and a skirt?”

I tried, but I couldn't (or wouldn't) wrap my head around it. The funny thing is, I pride myself on being multifaceted. I am not a one-dimensional athlete in any regard. So you would think I'd be ecstatic about this new and different opportunity. But I guess I'm just a savage in my heart, always dying inside to compete. I was disappointed. I didn’t know what to do.

If you just watched The Cage video, “Brotherhood”, in this article then you know the outcome. I did go to the Arnold and I did spend the weekend announcing my brothers in The Cage. You may know that, but you don’t know why I did it. Watch the documentary again. The Cage is really about a chance for many of us to be surrounded, not only by something we inexplicably love, but also by people we have an undeniable bond with. In many ways, coming to The Cage is like coming home.

So if I couldn't put my pride aside for them, what kind of man would that make me? Not a loyal one that's for sure... And that will never sit well with me. So I decided to go out there few days early with my two closest friends, G Diesel who works for the company and Garrett “GUNZ” Griffin a fellow athlete, to help build The Cage itself. It was tough work, but this was exactly what I needed. I needed to reaffirm this notion of “brotherhood” that we always talk about and what makes me ANIMAL. It took me a long time to get here to The Cage in 2014, but I’m here. Stronger than ever."

GUNZ
11-20-14, 1:21 pm
"The crazy thing about The Cage is that most lifters will never get an opportunity to showcase their ability in that particular venue. Many athletes have a bucket list, so to speak, of events they have always wanted to participate in or be invited to. Whether it represents a status symbol, a rite of passage, or simply personal achievement, The Cage has been atop many of those lists. Knowing this, I am infinitely more astounded that I am thought to have enough worth as an athlete to be invited to lift in 2012 and 2013, even after my back surgery and rehabilitation.

So looking forward The Cage in '14, I wanted to do something special and set myself apart – something no one has ever seen before, something unfathomable. So I began to work on eccentric lifts to exploit my strengths while prepping for The Night of The Living Dead Pro Deadlift Invitational. You see, even though you might have a contest or meet approaching imminently, you are always thinking about The Cage and conscious of your time frame leading up to it. Before I ever get the call up, I have already begun Cage prep months prior. I know many of us as athletes do. We all want to put on a good show and we all take our lifting exhibitions very seriously.

So you can imagine my surprise when I heard the news. “What, you don't want me to lift? You want me to emcee and announce the other athletes?” Suddenly, it hit me all at once. Even though I was being told this was an honor and a privilege, I just didn't see it that way. Everyone around me was excited and people told me this meant that I had so much more to offer than just being an “athlete”. But I keep thinking to myself, “So I'm a cheerleader now? Do I get a wig and a skirt?”

I tried, but I couldn't (or wouldn't) wrap my head around it. The funny thing is, I pride myself on being multifaceted. I am not a one-dimensional athlete in any regard. So you would think I'd be ecstatic about this new and different opportunity. But I guess I'm just a savage in my heart, always dying inside to compete. I was disappointed. I didn’t know what to do.

If you just watched The Cage video, “Brotherhood”, in this article then you know the outcome. I did go to the Arnold and I did spend the weekend announcing my brothers in The Cage. You may know that, but you don’t know why I did it. Watch the documentary again. The Cage is really about a chance for many of us to be surrounded, not only by something we inexplicably love, but also by people we have an undeniable bond with. In many ways, coming to The Cage is like coming home.

So if I couldn't put my pride aside for them, what kind of man would that make me? Not a loyal one that's for sure... And that will never sit well with me. So I decided to go out there few days early with my two closest friends, G Diesel who works for the company and Garrett “GUNZ” Griffin a fellow athlete, to help build The Cage itself. It was tough work, but this was exactly what I needed. I needed to reaffirm this notion of “brotherhood” that we always talk about and what makes me ANIMAL. It took me a long time to get here to The Cage in 2014, but I’m here. Stronger than ever."

So well put into prospective by P!! Hopefully we get another homecoming this year, nothing better then hanging with my friends and Animal family

BCent
11-20-14, 3:54 pm
That's awesome man. i missed the cage this year but hope to be there next year. From what I saw looked like you did an awesome job

B

Jay Nera
11-28-14, 11:21 pm
I can't wait for the Cage!!

deanna7272
11-29-14, 9:37 am
I'd look at it as being a part of an evolution, P...

As it may have, at first, felt like a your abilities were being overlooked, you were able to be a part of some of the most intense lifts MOST of us have ever witnessed. You had a personal connection to what was happening and your passion and enthusiasm helped push your brothers toward success. In your career, you've been successful coaching 'your' athletes to be their best, you just can't turn that off...

The Cage has seen such an evolution over the years and your part in the process, whether it be lifting the weight or lifting your fellow athletes to do their best, is an important one. I'm glad that you were see the importance in your role, from start to finish...

The best is yet to come...

Pale Rider
11-30-14, 4:26 pm
The Cage is one of that best parts about powerlifting before i got the chance to go i would always watch the videos of the cage just thinking i will get to left there one day

P Diesel
12-05-14, 12:04 pm
I can't wait for the Cage!!

The Cage is one of that best parts about powerlifting before i got the chance to go i would always watch the videos of the cage just thinking i will get to left there one day

what do u fellas got that could possibly top last year's performance?!

P

HIGA MONSTER
12-05-14, 6:10 pm
what do u fellas got that could possibly top last year's performance?!

P
Are you lifting in The Cage?

Or are you just gonna hold a fuckin microphone this year? You can hold my "microphone" in your hands...

P Diesel
12-09-14, 1:53 pm
Are you lifting in The Cage?

Or are you just gonna hold a fuckin microphone this year? You can hold my "microphone" in your hands...

i doubt it. but if im there u can sing karaoke into mine at the steak house ;)

P

LoneWolf45
12-09-14, 3:39 pm
"In many ways, coming to The Cage is like coming home."

Always good stuff comming from Pat

P Diesel
12-10-14, 9:48 am
"In many ways, coming to The Cage is like coming home."

Always good stuff comming from Pat

thansk Nick. we should be expecting big things from u this year?

P

LoneWolf45
12-17-14, 8:02 pm
thansk Nick. we should be expecting big things from u this year?

P

Yes for sure. Going to start off at the NJ states at 220, try and get close to 1700. Then maybe do a meet at 198.
Also a 700 squat is very possible this year.

P Diesel
12-18-14, 12:11 pm
Yes for sure. Going to start off at the NJ states at 220, try and get close to 1700. Then maybe do a meet at 198.
Also a 700 squat is very possible this year.

thats a big deal man! would be great to see knowing where u came from and how hard uve gotten after it

P