PDA

View Full Version : A Call For Help From My Fellow Animals

GunRock
12-20-14, 12:41 am
I originally posted this in Thoughts but I really wanted it to be seen by more people so for once I'm posting something twice. sorry if you read it already.
Anyway on to the point.

I train an eighth grade girl who has had a pretty rough go of it. I don't know all of the details but she used to live with her mother and that wasn't a great situation, now she's living with her dad and her stepmom. I started training her stepbrother and met her because after his mom saw what I do, she decided that this girl needed my help. Anyway, her first workout I decided to see what she was made of, Stepmom said she had a bit of an attitude and refused to do homework. Ok. Day 1 you're going to flip tires up and down my driveway just to see if you quit on me and yourself. Bottom line she stuck it out and has made steady progress. Iron bug has bitten her.

Still, I'm interested in the whole person when I train someone so I got in her business about grades and found out that she was failing classes because she refused to turn in homework. After a little digging, I found that in her previous school they stuck her in special needs classes because she didn't understand the material but no one took the time to teach her anything. Now that she's in a new school system, she's drowning. I promised to help her parents find her a tutor if she wouldn't quit on herself. So she comes everyday now. Two days a week to train her body and three days a week to be tutored by my sons who are in high school.
I've also been working with her on her study habits and general attitude and today as everyone headed into the Christmas break, we had a ceremony in my firepit where she burned all of the homework assignments, tests and quizzes she got zeros on for failing to complete them. She's got a new attitude and I'd appreciate it if everyone would just like the video on Instagram and say some encouraging words to her.
No matter when you read this please visit the IG link and shout out to her. Her name is Meagan and I'm trying to motivate her to make a fresh start.

Anyway, thanks to all who read this and show support. Here's the link: http://instagram.com/p/wzax9mi7Yj/?modal=true

HIGA MONSTER
12-20-14, 2:58 am
I admire your dedication. Keep on her and hopefully, she will persevere!

Will all that I can do to help!
HIGA

GunRock
12-20-14, 5:54 am
I admire your dedication. Keep on her and hopefully, she will persevere!

Will all that I can do to help!
HIGA

I'm always impressed by your dedication to community service from your prison visits to even your commitment to the young ladies' softball team and how you train young athletes. Meeting you was one of the highlights of my trip to The Arnold last year.

But...my kids hate you 'cause I get a lot of weighted conditioning ideas from you! lol. Thanks again Brother.

Embee
12-20-14, 9:39 am
Yes! Love this man!

From my own experience I know it can be really hard to start living in the present instead of the past, so this fresh start and having you as a mentor will no doubt be life changing for her.

Left a comment on the video and I really hope she does well!

HIGA MONSTER
12-20-14, 4:56 pm
I'm always impressed by your dedication to community service from your prison visits to even your commitment to the young ladies' softball team and how you train young athletes. Meeting you was one of the highlights of my trip to The Arnold last year.

But...my kids hate you 'cause I get a lot of weighted conditioning ideas from you! lol. Thanks again Brother.
Haha, thats awesome.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Keep up the good work.
HIGA

deanna7272
12-21-14, 1:19 am
This hits home Gunrock, I teach middle school (7th and 8th and coach volleyball)... I see situations like this everyday and it breaks my heart to see some kiddos "give up" because their support systems have failed them... It's very admirable that you've taken her under your wing and your boys helping her with her studies!! Going to check out the video now...

GunRock
12-22-14, 6:53 pm
Yes! Love this man!

From my own experience I know it can be really hard to start living in the present instead of the past, so this fresh start and having you as a mentor will no doubt be life changing for her.

Left a comment on the video and I really hope she does well!

No Doubt Bro! Thanks for stepping up! Everybody's coming over to wrap Christmas gifts for a service project we're doing with uncleboo56 so I get to check her reaction to it tomorrow!!!

GunRock
12-22-14, 6:55 pm
This hits home Gunrock, I teach middle school (7th and 8th and coach volleyball)... I see situations like this everyday and it breaks my heart to see some kiddos "give up" because their support systems have failed them... It's very admirable that you've taken her under your wing and your boys helping her with her studies!! Going to check out the video now...

Your comment was right on time deanna7272! Thanks so much for stepping up! I just realized that I met you at The Cage when you and I let some of the Marine recruiters in. Thanks for helping out my brothers then too!

See you in March!!!

Lottawheels
12-22-14, 9:24 pm
Awesome story man. Good luck to her

deanna7272
12-22-14, 11:13 pm
Your comment was right on time deanna7272! Thanks so much for stepping up! I just realized that I met you at The Cage when you and I let some of the Marine recruiters in. Thanks for helping out my brothers then too!

See you in March!!!

Yep, that was me... :) I took a little heat until they learned the situation, but I went with my heart... :)

Keep us updated on her progress!! I hope that it sticks and she finds her way.

Counting down the days until March!!! See you there!!!

HIGA MONSTER
12-23-14, 12:04 pm
no doubt bro! Thanks for stepping up! Everybody's coming over to wrap christmas gifts for a service project we're doing with uncleboo56 so i get to check her reaction to it tomorrow!!!
awesome.

G Diesel
12-23-14, 1:51 pm
That is awesome, man. Great story.

Our children are our greatest natural resource. Thank you for showing them the care and concern they deserve.

Peace, G

Kowboy
12-23-14, 3:50 pm
Very awesome stuff right here, glad to see you helping out man. We definitely need more of this in the world. I will get on tonight and post on instagram. Cheering you on from Cbus man.

GunRock
12-24-14, 7:56 pm
Very awesome stuff right here, glad to see you helping out man. We definitely need more of this in the world. I will get on tonight and post on instagram. Cheering you on from Cbus man.

I saw Megan yesterday while we were doing a service project and she was overwhelmed by all of the support. I knew I could count on my fellow Animals! It's also never too late to encourage her so whenever anyone sees this it's still okay to give her a shout out!

I plan to take her along to our Georgia ABC on the Saturday after New Year's so she can meet some of the people who've been encouraging her!

GunRock
12-24-14, 7:57 pm
Yep, that was me... :) I took a little heat until they learned the situation, but I went with my heart... :)

Keep us updated on her progress!! I hope that it sticks and she finds her way.

Counting down the days until March!!! See you there!!!

No doubt!!!

GunRock
12-24-14, 7:59 pm
Awesome story man. Good luck to her

Welcome to The Animal Fam and I look forward to meeting you, watching your progress in your sport and meeting you at The Cage.

I use the video of your story to inspire the kids I train so they see what is possible with determination and courage. Keep it up!!!

MikeHerman
12-25-14, 3:05 pm
Left a comment on the video. Hope everything starts looking up for her, man! Good on you for taking care of her and showing her the way of the iron.

GunRock
12-25-14, 10:14 pm
Left a comment on the video. Hope everything starts looking up for her, man! Good on you for taking care of her and showing her the way of the iron.

I plan on taking her to the next local ABC. Regardless of how it works out, I appreciate everyone's comments and so does she.