PDA

View Full Version : Walking dead man......my journey back to health and myself.

TAC.45
01-04-15, 12:05 am
Going to sleep each night is a hassle, knowing that I have to use a machine (CPAP) to help me breathe while I sleep so I don't die in the middle of the night. Sucks. Sleep apnea sucks. High blood pressure sucks. Obesity sucks. Taking 4 different medications 2 for HBP, 1 diuretic, and 1 for gout. Life for the past 20 years health wise, SUCKS. Gonna be 42 in a couple weeks and I'm tired of living life on medications and a machine. Tired of b
eing tired, literally. Most of all, I feel Death calling on me, letting me know my time is near. FUCK YOU DEATH!!! It wasn't always like this. I got here by making the wrong choices in health and in life. As a junior in high school I was 198 lbs benching 325, squatting 500, and dead lifting 625. All natural, old school iron age shit. Didn't play football, just lifted. Wanted to be a bodybuilder. Then one day after a squat session my left knee swelled and tightened up and became really painful. Doc said it was severe tendinitis and advised I stop lifting. Being young, dumb and full of pride I went back to the gym two weeks after the swelling went down and got into the rack, slapped on 375 and repped it twice, no warm up, no spotter (young and dumb...). Thinking I was all good and head all swollen with foolish pride, I added 25 lbs for an even 400. Stepped under the bar, tightened my belt, focused, lifted off the rack and took a deep breath. I squatted deep past my knees and attempted to drive up but my left knee started to give out, got up past my knees barely and that's when it happened. My core gave out because my knee wasn't stable and I folded forward almost breaking my back, luckily the cage bars caught the weight and I didn't kill myself. Yeah, one of life's lessons right? After that, I was spooked and never lifted heavy again. Took my doc's advice unfortunately and stopped lifting completely. Ate away at my ego as a young man, felt defeated and useless. Started getting into trouble and on a path of self destruction for awhile. Next thing I know 10-15 years pass by and I'm 100 lbs heavier starting a family and trying to stay awake all day because of my apnea a HBP that I didn't know I had. Fast forward and here I am on the start of my journey.

Starting to work out slowly and get my body used to the stress. I'm currently 288 lbs. Just joined the local gym yesterday, did a light upper body session on the machines just to get a feel for things. Also got on the treadmill for about 15 minutes. Nothing exciting but it's a start. Thinking of stacking Animal Pak w/ Animal Omega, a protein powder and maybe a BCAA powder, still gotta figure that out. Diet I'm still working on, just trying to eat clean first. Cut sodas and sugars already and that's what got me to 288 from 298 in the last couple of months.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get that weight off my chest. My short term goal is to lose 100 lbs by the middle of next year and hopefully be off the meds and machine. My long term goal is to be a solid 185 by the time I'm 45 years old which would be in 2018. Any encouragement, workout or supplement tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for hearin' me out.

Kyler71
01-04-15, 2:49 am
That quote made my night man..
I hear ya.. I feel ya..
Used to have a CPAP machine.. One of my biggest milestones after starting my journey was getting rid of that fucking anchor of death that prevented my from doing me so much in life. Camping the biggest one.. But no more! :-)
You will lose yours too.
Keep charging forward and you get where you want..

Ed Eliason
01-04-15, 2:00 pm
Best of luck on your journey. I'm looking forward to following your progress and seeing you succeed.

TAC.45
01-05-15, 12:04 am
Thank you Kyler71 and Ed Elison! Starting my journey tomorrow w/ a leg workout. Squat, dead lift, leg ext.,hamstring curls, and calf raises. 5 sets 8-10 reps is the plan. Took a 45 min walk with my 10 yr. old son today, he told me he was happy to be exercising w/me and liked the fact that I was doing it......made me tear up. Talk about motivation. If I could figure out how to post pics....or can we? Like to throw up before and after pics along the journey to keep track.

TAC.45
01-05-15, 5:15 pm
I guess you could call it a gym...thee neighborhood rec. center that is. Anyways, got in there and did a leg work out. I previously posted hamstring curls and seated calf raises, didn't do 'em due to no machines. Here's what I did do:
Squats (Smith Rack)
1. 5 x 85 lbs
2. 7 x 85
3. 8 x 105
4. 8 x 125
5. 7 x 155

Dead Lift
1. 7 x 135
2. 6 x 205
3. 7 x 205
4. 6 x 225
5. 5 x 245

Leg Ext.
1. 8 x 45
2. 8 x 70
3. 8 x 90
4. 8 x 110
5. 6 x 130

All my sets were done cold, no warm up( W/the exception of first 2 sets of squat), and no belt. Rested 1-2 min between sets, enough time to add plates and breathe. One hour total. I was gonna end w/some cardio but was too tired. Felt ok, just happy I got my fat ass in there and put in some work. Yeah I know the lbs. are low and nothing to be impressed by, but I'm coming back from 20 yrs. of living a sedentary lifestyle w/ health problems so I think it's a good start. Plan to go 4 on 3 off until I get more conditioned.

Embee
01-05-15, 6:40 pm
Felt ok, just happy I got my fat ass in there and put in some work. Yeah I know the lbs. are low and nothing to be impressed by, but I'm coming back from 20 yrs. of living a sedentary lifestyle w/ health problems so I think it's a good start. Plan to go 4 on 3 off until I get more conditioned.

Whatever weight is on that bar is irrelevant right now. What's impressive is that you've started this journey and you're putting in the work to get where you want to go.
I couldn't think of a better place for you to share this journey than in this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and no matter what your goal is, there will always be support from the other Animals.

We got your back bro, there's no doubt that you can achieve the goals you've set out to achieve.

TAC.45
01-05-15, 7:26 pm
Thank you Embee. All the support, knowledge and brotherhood on this site is not only awesome but motivating as hell! Pounds don't count right now like you said but the work does. I felt better today after my workout then I have in years, even being sore feels good because I know I earned it.

TAC.45
01-07-15, 7:07 pm
Took a day off yesterday.
Today's work out:

Lat Pull Downs
5 x 40 lbs
5 x 50
5 x 65
Rows
5 x 60
5 x 70
5 x 85
Tricep Pull Downs
5 x 35
5 x 55
5 x 65
Bicep Curls
5 x 40
5 x 50
5 x 65
Press (machine)
5 x 90
5 x 110
5 x 130
Ended w/ 30 min cardio on Elliptical machine.
Cooled down w/walk around indoor track.
Total time: 1hr 45min

Felt better today compared to yesterday, sore, very sore especially my hamstrings. Getting in the cardio made my legs feel better, loosened them up and got the circulation going. Been taking a daily multi vitamin (Kirkland Performance, a Costco private label) and Vitamin D (Kirkland). Saving up for a can of Animal Stak, Omega and Flex. Starting to eat clean w/whole foods but thinking of buying a tub of protein for shakes when I'm at work. My goal right now is to lose my gut and excess weight while building up my strength and core so I can start lifting heavier. Been watching Grant Higa a lot. Not only because he's an Islander like myself, but we have the same build, both in height and girth. Bulky Boy for sure! The best part is I can pick up technique easier from watching him since we have the same build, also motivates me big time! Maybe one day I can be in The Cage and lift w/him, that's my ultimate goal.

jarHunter
01-07-15, 7:10 pm
good luck man, don't be a pussy and quit after a week, month, year, decade.....stay consistent and hold yourself accountable.

TAC.45
01-07-15, 8:51 pm
Thanks jarHunter! No quitting here ever again. EVER.

" The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Love that quote, keeps it all in perspective for me.

Ed Eliason
01-08-15, 12:31 am
Nice quote bro.

Kyler71
01-27-15, 2:09 am
Just checking in man, keeping you on your toes..
Lets see some logs in here. I know it's hard and feels like walking through thick wet concrete not sometimes but most of the time starting back out. And still at times for all of us.
We all feed off each other and we are here for each other. So how about you make some time and take the dog or the wife or the kids for a walk.. One step leads to two and so on.. you know how it goes man.
We need you in here.. In a very non gay way of course.. lol
Dig deep and finish strong!!!

GunRock
01-27-15, 5:44 am
Good job on beginning this journey. Your situation is all too common in our country today but not enough people step up to do something about it.

You can post picture links from a free Photobucket.

Stay the course! You're teaching your son a greater lesson than he realizes right now.

GunRock
01-27-15, 5:53 am
Saving up for a can of Animal Stak, Omega and Flex. Starting to eat clean w/whole foods but thinking of buying a tub of protein for shakes when I'm at work. [/QUOTE]

Watch the promos on here. BB.com usually has some great deals. DPS nutrition was still doing By one get one free last week.

RandymOlson
01-27-15, 3:44 pm
Sorry for the rant but I had to get that weight off my chest. My short term goal is to lose 100 lbs by the middle of next year and hopefully be off the meds and machine. My long term goal is to be a solid 185 by the time I'm 45 years old which would be in 2018. Any encouragement, workout or supplement tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for hearin' me out.

Hey, I just saw your post today of all days. Today is the anniversary of the day my life changed! I was 362 pounds on Jan. 27, 2011. On this day, I stood naked,
four years ago today, in front of a camera to document the plan I was about to implement . That twofold plan led me on a journey that has changed my life. I never had any intention of sharing any of those photos. At first I wouldn't even let my wife take them, I set the timer on the camera. But week after week the pictures changed. I just wanted to be below 300 pounds! Thirteen months later I had lost 195 pounds, not only was I below 300, I was below 200, weighing in at 167! I had Exceeded the Vision I had in my mind. I have not sat idle since then I began to gain muscle, now I sit right around 200 and 9% body fat, but still challenging my self to build more.

All that to say this Journey is possible, I turn 45 next month. I believe in you! One step and one day at a time yields HUGE rewards!
Feel free to contact me anytime. You are going to achieve and exceed what you think is possible!

TAC.45
02-02-15, 8:48 pm
Sorry guys, it's been awhile since I posted. I haven't fell off nor given up. I just got a little to enthusiastic and forgot I was 42.....lol. Anyways I pulled my hamstring trying to dead lift 315 lbs for 2 reps when I barely got the first one. Yeah I know dumb, but hey lesson learned and a few weeks to heal and recoup. So I'm back now but with a plan and a program. I decided to go back to basics to rebuild my strength and work on my lifts, so I'm gonna follow the Strong Lifts program. A basic 5 x 5 plain, simple, and easy to follow. Also, I was just working out by feel and didn't really have any idea of what I really wanted to accomplish other than losing weight at first. Other than that I'm using the Strong Lifts program because of their phone app which allows me to track and download my workouts on the fly. Kyler71 and Gunrock thank you for checkin' in on me and for the words of encouragement, you guys made me realize why I joined this forum. The brotherhood.

RandymOlson, you're an inspiration Bro'! Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll start posting my logs after this week and pics too, just gotta get a Photobucket account. I finally got a can of Animalpak, Animal Omega, Musclepharm Combat Protein and Labrada Super Charge. Combining those with more whole food meals and I'm seeing the difference in how I feel daily and in my workouts, during and after. Recovery time surprised me since I've been using supplements, quicker and less pain. My sleep quality is better and longer. I need to commit more time to meal prep though.

Embee
02-03-15, 8:59 am
Good to have you back again TAC! Hamstring feeling ok now?

StrongLifts 5x5 is a solid program, so good call picking that to start with. If you just stick with it and put in the hard work, you'll see results.

TAC.45
02-03-15, 10:34 pm
Hey Embee, thanks for asking. Yeah my hamstrings are good now, just working on gaining back the strength I lost. Hence, the Strong Lifts program. Glad to know I chose a good program, I just figured going back to the basics was the best choice due to my age and not being in the gym for the last 15-20 years. Now that the kids are older I can have some time for myself.

TAC.45
02-03-15, 11:05 pm
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163618_zpsdcoszm5u.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163803_zpsfvdw4s9l.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163727_zpsipz7a4tf.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163552_zpsxlvuluvj.jpg.html

Here's my before/start of journey pics. Taken a couple months ago at 290 lbs. I'm 5'8. No new pics 'cause I still look the same... . Gotta love the tank top tan....

GunRock
02-11-15, 9:09 pm
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163618_zpsdcoszm5u.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163803_zpsfvdw4s9l.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163727_zpsipz7a4tf.jpg.html
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/wtac173/media/20141217_163552_zpsxlvuluvj.jpg.html

Here's my before/start of journey pics. Taken a couple months ago at 290 lbs. I'm 5'8. No new pics 'cause I still look the same... . Gotta love the tank top tan....

Good idea to take before pics. You'll know how far you've come.

You should check out CellarDwellar's Journey for some motivation as well.