PDA

View Full Version : Things to do, places to eat in Columbus

Universal Rep
01-20-15, 2:54 pm
For those visitin the CAGE for the first time...

Kowboy
01-20-15, 3:13 pm

Those of us that live here can answer any questions. Also, FYI the Ohio Deli burn't down so there will be no Dagwoods this year.

sgerwel1985
01-20-15, 3:41 pm

Beat me to it! Can't wait to get down with all the festivities. Driving in from pittsburgh thursday night, so i'm hoping this thread blows up with good ideas/options!

Madcat
01-20-15, 4:20 pm
As usual here is my update as of this week in regards to local places/gyms;

The Downtown Metro is literally falling apart. There's an actual hole in the floor where the crew usually deadlifts, like it goes through, into the locker room below, which is now 1/3 closed. I was there last week before Jury Duty and was amazed how BAD the place has gotten. No toilet paper, even less benches and good hammer machines then before, and now, it's at the lowest point.

BUTTTTTTTTT!!!!! Some new guy just bought it last week, like, while I was there he was closing on the deal. New carpet, paint, locker rooms, floors(haha), all kinds of stuff about to go down. My concern is that it might actually be closed during the Arnold because I honestly am not sure they can get a permit to host the normal number of people in there. There is no doubt there's structural damage and the contractor has some serious work to do.

Anyways, take with that what you will, but I would make sure Corp. folllows up about the ABC as they usually do, and make sure its discussed with the NEW owner, not just some manager or something.

Yeah, Ohio Deli burnt down, won't be back by the Arnold. BD's is still downtown, the Brazilian steakhouse, all that jazz.

deanna7272
01-20-15, 8:03 pm
Saw on the news about Ohio Deli... :( Never been, but I know a lot of folks have... And I talked with a girl in November, that works at Metro, and she didn't mention anything other than she may be going to s different job (writing on the wall maybe?)... Such a bummer if things can't be "finished" by then...

I know there's Beyond Limits Training, and now a BLT2 (East) that Rich just opened... Cbus folks, how far is BLT2 from the Expo Center, and have you been there yet? Any Thoughts?

Kowboy
01-20-15, 8:17 pm
Saw on the news about Ohio Deli... :( Never been, but I know a lot of folks have... And I talked with a girl in November, that works at Metro, and she didn't mention anything other than she may be going to s different job (writing on the wall maybe?)... Such a bummer if things can't be "finished" by then...

I know there's Beyond Limits Training, and now a BLT2 (East) that Rich just opened... Cbus folks, how far is BLT2 from the Expo Center, and have you been there yet? Any Thoughts?

It is in Pickerington so probably 20 or 30 minutes depending on traffic. I could talk to Rich I know he would probably be ok with it but not sure that people staying downtown could get there w/out cars.

deanna7272
01-20-15, 10:32 pm
It is in Pickerington so probably 20 or 30 minutes depending on traffic. I could talk to Rich I know he would probably be ok with it but not sure that people staying downtown could get there w/out cars.

Ahhh, gotcha... Wasn't sure where in proximity it was, I just knew "East"...lol

Firefist
01-20-15, 11:16 pm
As usual here is my update as of this week in regards to local places/gyms;

The Downtown Metro is literally falling apart. There's an actual hole in the floor where the crew usually deadlifts, like it goes through, into the locker room below, which is now 1/3 closed. I was there last week before Jury Duty and was amazed how BAD the place has gotten. No toilet paper, even less benches and good hammer machines then before, and now, it's at the lowest point.

BUTTTTTTTTT!!!!! Some new guy just bought it last week, like, while I was there he was closing on the deal. New carpet, paint, locker rooms, floors(haha), all kinds of stuff about to go down. My concern is that it might actually be closed during the Arnold because I honestly am not sure they can get a permit to host the normal number of people in there. There is no doubt there's structural damage and the contractor has some serious work to do.

Anyways, take with that what you will, but I would make sure Corp. folllows up about the ABC as they usually do, and make sure its discussed with the NEW owner, not just some manager or something.

Yeah, Ohio Deli burnt down, won't be back by the Arnold. BD's is still downtown, the Brazilian steakhouse, all that jazz.

That is good to know. Good thing you brought it up early for Corp to handle!

naturalguy
01-21-15, 9:51 am
Thanks for the heads up Madcat!

LayzieBone085
01-21-15, 11:09 am
BD Mongolian
Cheesecake Factory
Rodozio (Brazillan Steakhouse)

3 places i highly suggest to eat right around the arena district
Buca Di Peppo too if you love a lot of italian food.

Aggression
01-21-15, 2:23 pm
Go to that Irish Pub across the street from the convention center and order the following ..

- polish platter (or w/e the fuck its called; perogies, bangers, and shit)
- an ale-infused brownie with ice cream
- a guinness

Do it. It'll change your life.

Hey NG, can you get me that, freeze it, and ship it to me??

Universal Rep
01-22-15, 12:25 pm
Those of us that live here can answer any questions. Also, FYI the Ohio Deli burn't down so there will be no Dagwoods this year.

Thats sad. I remember the deli from this vid...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZr1FioLSY

Kowboy
01-22-15, 1:14 pm
Their food was really good, Thurmans is incredible but very hard to get in to. Not sure if htem offering carry out will help at all. Their is a good bbq place by my house, amazing really that caters so this is something you can keep in mind.

naturalguy
01-22-15, 3:26 pm
Go to that Irish Pub across the street from the convention center and order the following ..

- a guinness

That place is our secret Agg, don't tell everyone I don't want it to get too crowded.

I had some awesome bangers n mash there

J Wong
01-22-15, 3:50 pm
That place is our secret Agg, don't tell everyone I don't want it to get too crowded.

I had some awesome bangers n mash there

That is a secret? That place is always crowded!

Phil800101
01-22-15, 7:08 pm
I've heard good things: http://dirtyfrankscolumbus.com/

Phil800101
01-22-15, 7:11 pm
As usual, we plan on hitting up the Brazilian Steakhouse with a massive group on Friday night. Insane amount of delicious food for a reasonable price. I'll be posting a sign-up thread sometime in the next few weeks.

http://www.rodiziogrill.com/columbus/

Phil800101
01-23-15, 12:26 pm
As usual, we plan on hitting up the Brazilian Steakhouse with a massive group on Friday night. Insane amount of delicious food for a reasonable price. I'll be posting a sign-up thread sometime in the next few weeks.

I just checked, last year we had a reservation for 46 and filled every seat...can we top 50 this year?

Madcat
01-23-15, 12:57 pm

Not bad, but also not "big" like the actual size of the dining area. Lots of options and next door is a solid taco place, smaller portions, but price is right. Also very small, like literally there may be 6 tables and only a few seat more than 2 people. But kitchen is open til 1am I believe.

Tip Top is normally solid, but I heard they had just been shut down for a month due to cockroaches running up the walls when the floor shifted one night and they got shut down mid shift. I don't care, I eat there a lot, late kitchen, good drinks cheap, and really wholesome food. Like sweet potato hash, pot roast, man kinda food. It's close too, 1 block from Metro.

sgerwel1985
01-23-15, 1:14 pm
I just checked, last year we had a reservation for 46 and filled every seat...can we top 50 this year?

This place sounds delicious, depending on what the times are and everything, i anticipate on being there!

LayzieBone085
01-23-15, 2:00 pm

BOOM!!! its so good!!

BD Mongolian
Cheesecake Factory
Rodozio (Brazillan Steakhouse)

3 places i highly suggest to eat right around the arena district
Buca Di Peppo too if you love a lot of italian food.

There are tons of bars too
Bar Louie
World of Beer for instance downtown
Chameleon Club as well

Things to see there are plenty of small things outside of CBUS like gyms:
Worthington Metro
Delaware Metro (if you dont want to go to metro downtown and too crowded) Worthington is a 7 mile drive north.

Beyond Limits Training with Rich Lauro he has 3 gyms that are around 10-15 minutes outside of the city and one in the heart of the city right off 4th street about 3-4 minutes outside of the convention center

If you like good ice cream:
Jeni's has a few scoop shops right around downtown
Graeters has 3-4 scoop shops as well

Premium ice cream right in the heart of the city.

Phil800101
01-23-15, 2:58 pm
Not bad, but also not "big" like the actual size of the dining area. Lots of options and next door is a solid taco place, smaller portions, but price is right. Also very small, like literally there may be 6 tables and only a few seat more than 2 people. But kitchen is open til 1am I believe.

Tip Top is normally solid, but I heard they had just been shut down for a month due to cockroaches running up the walls when the floor shifted one night and they got shut down mid shift. I don't care, I eat there a lot, late kitchen, good drinks cheap, and really wholesome food. Like sweet potato hash, pot roast, man kinda food. It's close too, 1 block from Metro.

What the hell is a seating area at a hot dog place? :D I'm used to a window and a counter, so even one actual table would be a luxury, ha ha.

Those other places sound great too.

Madcat
01-23-15, 3:48 pm
What the hell is a seating area at a hot dog place? :D I'm used to a window and a counter, so even one actual table would be a luxury, ha ha.

Those other places sound great too.

Haha, bro it ain't like Chiiiicaaaago(best accent I can come up with), but it's diner like for sure. And they do some crazy setups in there foodwise so a good option for something different.

G Diesel
01-23-15, 5:07 pm

I'm going on record that me and McGraw are IN for some dogs.

Peace, G

Phil800101
01-24-15, 10:56 am
Haha, bro it ain't like Chiiiicaaaago(best accent I can come up with), but it's diner like for sure. And they do some crazy setups in there foodwise so a good option for something different.

Cool.

I'm going on record that me and McGraw are IN for some dogs.

Peace, G

Shit just got real.

Rex
01-24-15, 12:32 pm
Are there any 24h gyms in the area? I gotta get a couple of workouts in....

Rhino
01-24-15, 1:36 pm
Thurmans Bar and grill is just south of the brewery district. It's on Thurman Avenue which is right off of high street. They were futured on man vs. Food. They serve the Thurmanator. Which was made years ago by the Arnold Strong Men. It's two 16oz patties, ham, three cheeses, and a whole lot more. It is a thing to behold. I think the CBUS crew should make a stop and video it. They also serve full size chicken wings and the prices can't be beat.

flex-em
01-24-15, 7:13 pm
Def. recommend Dirty Frank's, however the dining area is super small(maybe 50people) so I'm sure it'll be hard to get into. If you're willing to wait tho, you won't be disappointed.

LayzieBone085
01-24-15, 8:30 pm
Are there any 24h gyms in the area? I gotta get a couple of workouts in....

Beyond Limits Training with Rich Lauro he has 3 gyms that are around 10-15 minutes outside of the city and one in the heart of the city right off 4th street about 3-4 minutes outside of the convention center

Phil800101
01-24-15, 9:33 pm
Def. recommend Dirty Frank's, however the dining area is super small(maybe 50people) so I'm sure it'll be hard to get into. If you're willing to wait tho, you won't be disappointed.

Good deal.

ganderson
02-04-15, 9:08 pm
Im staying at the Hyatt over by OSU...it doesn't seem too far from the Convention Center. Anything down there worth doing or place worth eating at?

flex-em
02-05-15, 1:21 am
BOOM!!! its so good!!

There are tons of bars too
Bar Louie
World of Beer for instance downtown
Chameleon Club as well

Bar Louie is a cool atmosphere, also has some great food too! They're loaded tater totts are da bomb lol

Firefist
02-05-15, 9:59 am
Im staying at the Hyatt over by OSU...it doesn't seem too far from the Convention Center. Anything down there worth doing or place worth eating at?

Piadas... its like an italian chipotle. Fucking fantastic.

Theres also a couple good thai and pho places around there.

If you're closer to OSU, just make sure you're leaving early to find parking and stuff. High street can get a little crowded with traffic, and parking is tough if the decks are all filled. You'll have to walk from lots at least a good 20 minutes away.

ganderson
02-05-15, 11:00 am
Piadas... its like an italian chipotle. Fucking fantastic.

Theres also a couple good thai and pho places around there.

If you're closer to OSU, just make sure you're leaving early to find parking and stuff. High street can get a little crowded with traffic, and parking is tough if the decks are all filled. You'll have to walk from lots at least a good 20 minutes away.

Wow, yea italian chipotle, that does sound fantastic haha. Thanks for the suggestions, thai food is the shit.

Im going to be driving in from NJ, but I definitely want to avoid driving to the expo myself. The hotels seem to be really good with free shuttles to and from the convention center so I plan on using that. If it isn't early enough, I guess a taxi will do?

Madcat
02-05-15, 1:14 pm
COTA,(bus service), Taxi, Uber, all fine. Parking gets pricey that weekend if you don't have onsite hotel.

If you're staying by campus and single looking to party hit any bar around, they'll all be nuts. If you're looking more for food and drink head south on high street or just tell the cabby to take you to the Arena District. Or it's a 1 min walk from the Expo, and that 1 min is crossing high st.

Kowboy
02-05-15, 2:18 pm
Cota is cheap and there are a shit ton of us around there so that is always an option.

ganderson
02-06-15, 8:33 am
COTA,(bus service), Taxi, Uber, all fine. Parking gets pricey that weekend if you don't have onsite hotel.

If you're staying by campus and single looking to party hit any bar around, they'll all be nuts. If you're looking more for food and drink head south on high street or just tell the cabby to take you to the Arena District. Or it's a 1 min walk from the Expo, and that 1 min is crossing high st.

Cota is cheap and there are a shit ton of us around there so that is always an option.

All good to know. Thanks for the info. Hope to meet you guys there this year.

Kowboy
02-06-15, 8:55 am
We will be there, I am the really good looking one and BamBam will probably be hitting on me w/ Nix.

naturalguy
02-06-15, 10:17 am
Someone recommended Melt Bar & Grill - gourmet grilled cheese

http://meltbarandgrilled.com/

840 North High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215

deanna7272
02-06-15, 10:20 am

840 North High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Ahhhhh!!!! I forgot about Melt ... I was going to go to the one up in Cleveland, grabbed their 'card' and never did make it... That's definitely an option... I heard it's awesome...

ganderson
02-06-15, 10:47 am
We will be there, I am the really good looking one and BamBam will probably be hitting on me w/ Nix.

Haha alright, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Phil800101
02-06-15, 12:18 pm

840 North High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQPHxTUgzI

Kowboy
02-06-15, 2:52 pm
Melt looks cool, I was at Pies and Pints at Easton and there is one over there as well.

GunRock
02-10-15, 11:55 pm
We'll be coming in around 6am Saturday morning and will probably be ready to eat and chill for a little bit before the Expo opens. Prefer something on the cheap side.

Rhino
02-11-15, 4:40 pm

Teds is one of the few if only places to serve Bison. Great food and homemade salt and pepper onion rings to kill for. It's in walking distance from the convention center right on west nationwide blvd across from Nationwide Arena

Brandon Lilly
02-11-15, 5:18 pm
Haruki East in Hilliard. $25.99 All you can eat, amazing sushi... I used to eat there two to three times a week when I went to Westside

Shukin
02-11-15, 6:56 pm

- a guinness

And a Scotch egg

Shukin
02-11-15, 6:57 pm
Where is the best Sushi?
Is there an all you can eat place?

Kowboy
02-11-15, 8:00 pm
The one Brandon mentioned is about the only all you can eat one I know of. It is probably 15 mins from Downtown.

MAB
02-11-15, 8:06 pm
I like Pies and Pints and I'm always down for sushi 👍

J Wong
02-11-15, 9:11 pm
Haruki East in Hilliard. $25.99 All you can eat, amazing sushi... I used to eat there two to three times a week when I went to Westside

That sounds pretty damn good.

(obviously I'd say that)

HIGA MONSTER
02-13-15, 11:27 am
Where is the best Sushi?
Is there an all you can eat place?
Its in Jordan Wong's hotel room.

The FUTOMAKI roll...

Kowboy
02-13-15, 11:56 am
Does it smelly like dirty sweat?

Phil800101
02-19-15, 7:46 am
We have a separate thread going to sign-up for Rodizio Grill (Brazilian Steakhouse) on Friday night:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?43484-Rodizio-Grill-Sign-Up-List-Friday-Night-03-06-15&p=1403331#post1403331

Pop in there and sign up if you want to go, I'm calling and making the reservation tomorrow night.

Shukin
02-28-15, 9:07 am

I'm in on this for sure.