PDA

View Full Version : Staying in the same weight class or move up.

nickbustos
02-17-15, 1:47 am
I am a natural lifter and am in the 165lb class. Recently just Hit a PR in deadlift with 479.5lbs weighing 158.2lbs. Squat 365 and benched 280. I am pretty for my weight and as I've always been told, more weight and muscle you have, stronger you'll be.

Reason I'm in between both of these is because I do want to be able to break records in the future in my class but also want to be stronger.

I guess weighing in the 160's now and wanting to get strong, it's all about my diet.

Any tips on what I should do?

Thomas An
02-17-15, 5:10 pm
I am a natural lifter and am in the 165lb class. Recently just Hit a PR in deadlift with 479.5lbs weighing 158.2lbs. Squat 365 and benched 280. I am pretty for my weight and as I've always been told, more weight and muscle you have, stronger you'll be.

Reason I'm in between both of these is because I do want to be able to break records in the future in my class but also want to be stronger.

I guess weighing in the 160's now and wanting to get strong, it's all about my diet.

Any tips on what I should do?
Give moving up a weight class a try! It will definitely help make you stronger! Keep me updated!

Rex
02-18-15, 10:34 am
I guess it depends. Are you a Dan Green or more like a Pillsbury Doughboy looking 160?

Aggression
02-18-15, 3:42 pm
Haha ^. In all seriousness, that's the question. Adding 'weight' to your frame doesn't necessarily mean you'll be stronger. If you're talking about adding lean, dense muscle, then it may not hurt to jump into the next weight class for the next meet or two to test the waters. If you're talking about adding weight just to add weight, then i don't think it'd be as beneficial.

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-15, 4:40 pm
My two cents...I hear all the time "I wonder what he'd bench if he moved up"...the answer so far...I bench less. I have horrible meets for some reason if I come in heavier, I feel like crap carrying around more weight, so for me I'm dieting back down. I know I will be technically only 10 lbs lighter than previous meets but for me that's all the difference...size isn't always strength...they go hand in hand but what are you gaining when you move up? If you are talking about gaining and losing 10 lbs of muscle...the obvious answer is there. But that's usually not the case as it's fat and mainly water.

nickbustos
02-18-15, 9:38 pm
For my weight and size i am fairly strong. But yeah I understand what you are saying Hoornstra. I would like to remain how i am as far as size goes just improve the little things in my training and switching things up that will build me up and allow me to reach my goals of where I want to be. I'm actually going to try this:

4 weeks of hypertrophy to keep my lean and and cut
4 weeks of muscle strength
4 weeks of muscle power
4 weeks of muscle endurance

For being the powerlifter I am, I am very lean and strong. Which isn't something that bothers me. I actually like my look and the progress I have made. I like to watch Richard Hawthorne and other guys close to my weight class because it's motivating and knowing they are lighter than me, it's possible for me.

Alpha Bench
02-23-15, 12:11 pm
I would move up in weight class see how it goes

moparguy55
02-24-15, 1:14 pm
My two cents...I hear all the time "I wonder what he'd bench if he moved up"...the answer so far...I bench less. I have horrible meets for some reason if I come in heavier, I feel like crap carrying around more weight, so for me I'm dieting back down. I know I will be technically only 10 lbs lighter than previous meets but for me that's all the difference...size isn't always strength...they go hand in hand but what are you gaining when you move up? If you are talking about gaining and losing 10 lbs of muscle...the obvious answer is there. But that's usually not the case as it's fat and mainly water.

I have to say this applies to me too. If i have to loosen a notch on the weight belt usually means im 10lbs too heavy. As extra weight for me goes to the gut. If im 10lbs over comfortable i feel energy is lower and not as explosive.

Jay Nera
02-28-15, 12:41 am
DEfinitely fill out your weight class. Additional strength does come with size. Find a good coach to help you do so. Soemone who both understands the nutritional requirements and training requirements….and that you need to make a weight class.

I personally just want to get stronger. Ive gained weight and gotten stronger. It didn't show in my last competition but thats okay. The time to worry about weight classes IMO is when you are going after a record or want to go head to head with a particular person.

Pale Rider
02-28-15, 7:34 pm
Get big no one wants to be small