PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation

Machine
02-25-15, 5:43 pm
One of the most difficult things to do in the iron game is to remain relevant, in fact, it’s damn near impossible. The genre just doesn't lend itself to longevity. Look at it objectively; very, very few athletes, whether you’re looking at bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, or what have you, very, very, few people have been able to remain relevant for a long period of time.

Why?

The reason is simple, no matter how much you squat, bench, deadlift, or what your physique looked like at your last outing…someone will come along and best your efforts. And then they will be the one with the microphones, cameras, and people in their faces asking about their miracle training regimen and techniques which they, no doubt, originated and perfected. To those of you who've managed to defy the odds and father time and do just that…remain relevant…I salute you. You've done something very few have managed, and certainly something which has eluded me.

Just a mere suggestion from a rank novice such as myself…stop acting like you invented the art, sport, pastime, and culture of lifting weights.

Thank you

MACHINE

SDR
02-27-15, 4:33 am
One of the most difficult things to do in the iron game is to remain relevant, in fact, it’s damn near impossible. The genre just doesn't lend itself to longevity. Look at it objectively; very, very few athletes, whether you’re looking at bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, or what have you, very, very, few people have been able to remain relevant for a long period of time.

Why?

The reason is simple, no matter how much you squat, bench, deadlift, or what your physique looked like at your last outing…someone will come along and best your efforts. And then they will be the one with the microphones, cameras, and people in their faces asking about their miracle training regimen and techniques which they, no doubt, originated and perfected. To those of you who've managed to defy the odds and father time and do just that…remain relevant…I salute you. You've done something very few have managed, and certainly something which has eluded me.

Just a mere suggestion from a rank novice such as myself…stop acting like you invented the art, sport, pastime, and culture of lifting weights.

Thank you

MACHINE

Agreed, this goes with all sports. Each generation ushers in 'new' stars that will be relevant with the current cycle of fans/supporters. Right now we are in the Kai Greene/Phil Heath and the whole '5%' percent Rich Piana era.

Personally, I dont quite like this era in terms of the people it brings about. Im seeing alot more people on social media brag about 'ITS LEG DAY #killit #beastmode' yet they have never done a 20 rep set of squats in their life. Theres alot of 'show and tell'.

8-9 years ago I was in college, refrained from all the bad, lunchbreaks were spent reading articles from yourself and G Diesel, and I literally shut the fuck up and lifted like the posters on my wall told me.

To me the key to being relevant is to keep it real, hence why Dorian Yates a star of the 90's is still relevant and will be in the next 10 too.

deanna7272
02-27-15, 7:40 am
Agreed, this goes with all sports. Each generation ushers in 'new' stars that will be relevant with the current cycle of fans/supporters. Right now we are in the Kai Greene/Phil Heath and the whole '5%' percent Rich Piana era.

Personally, I dont quite like this era in terms of the people it brings about. Im seeing alot more people on social media brag about 'ITS LEG DAY #killit #beastmode' yet they have never done a 20 rep set of squats in their life. Theres alot of 'show and tell'.

8-9 years ago I was in college, refrained from all the bad, lunchbreaks were spent reading articles from yourself and G Diesel, and I literally shut the fuck up and lifted like the posters on my wall told me.

To me the key to being relevant is to keep it real, hence why Dorian Yates a star of the 90's is still relevant and will be in the next 10 too.

This is golden...

STRONGfireMAN
02-27-15, 9:48 am
That just sent chills down my spine. Great words.

Jay Nera
02-28-15, 12:37 am

Why?

Thank you

MACHINE

Very good write up. For me, as i feel I started this sport late, and even though I feel I am still getting stronger and making progress, my body is falling apart. The mere aches and pains are a norm. Its the injuries that keep me from training, from walking, from sleeping..yet for some reason, because I still feel I am making progress, I am not ready to stop….but… I definitely see that the end is not too far away…so to enjoy this part of my physical development life while i'm in it…because in a few more years, it might be kettle bell sport, or hand balancing…or just anything that doesn't require me to handle weights that can kill untrained human beings. Nice read.

Pale Rider
02-28-15, 7:32 pm
Good read

eblnyc
03-04-15, 9:11 pm
Another great nugget of truth. I never got in this for glory. I got in this to save myself from destruction.I compete with myself .

ironbound
03-07-15, 10:51 pm

Truth. Now gyms are overrun with pre-madonnas with GoPros taking selfies for instagram....

intoodeep25
03-08-15, 12:14 am
Truth. Now gyms are overrun with pre-madonnas with GoPros taking selfies for instagram....

Everybody thinks they are a somebody. It makes me sick. I put my head down and do work day in and day out, year after year and all these people lift for a few months and think they are something special. I could go on but I will stop before I really get heated.

Jay Nera
03-24-15, 11:12 pm

You don't wear your Go Pro every time you go to the gym? I have a spare in my gym bag in case the other one breaks in the middle of a session.

skibasgym
03-29-15, 8:32 pm
I've been powerlifting for 40 years. I've lasted this long for two simple reasons: (1) it is my passion and (2) don't ever think you know it all - there is always something new to learn.