PDA

View Full Version : Weight Dilemma

Strength Cleveland
03-01-15, 7:32 pm
I am currently weighing 160 and I just got a new pr of 405 deadlift. Should I try to increase my strength to weight ratio and stay at the same weight, or try to bulk up and lift more?

Jay Nera
04-28-15, 1:08 am
I am currently weighing 160 and I just got a new pr of 405 deadlift. Should I try to increase my strength to weight ratio and stay at the same weight, or try to bulk up and lift more?

That depends, are you trying to improve your relative strength or absolute strength?

Do you want to get bigger and more muscular or do you want to stay at your current size?

There is no right or wrong when it comes to your own preferences.

IMO. relative strength is only important for bodyweight movements. i.e. can you do 10 strict pull-ups
When It comes to the barbell….more weight is alway better. Would you rather be a 160lb guy who deadlifts 450 or a 180 lb guy who deadlifts over 500…. whichever one sounds more appealing to you is your answer.

Pale Rider
04-28-15, 2:16 pm
Get bigger

G Diesel
04-28-15, 2:50 pm
Get bigger

So little says so much.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
04-28-15, 4:21 pm
Get bigger

So little says so much.

Peace, G

Haha, it's hard to argue with that simple logic.

Ilovecheeseburgers
04-30-15, 12:52 am

That was my struggle too, my goal was to hit 405 regardless of what I weigh, it was impossible for me to cut to 148 and hit 405 in a short period of time.

I decided to bump up to 165, and hit the 405. Now i'm ina cut to stabilize around 155 to compete at 148. I would say if you're trying to get as strong as possible as soon as possible, it only makes sense to gain. If you're close to a weight class you want to stay in, you can do that too, but it will hold your strength back. If I didn't feel like a baby hulk I would be trying for big #'s regardless of what I weigh.

Nix0r
04-30-15, 11:31 am
So little says so much.

Peace, G

Now he is officially my favorite FORVM member.

Rex
04-30-15, 8:34 pm
I didnīt know that powerlifters had to put so much thought into this.
I figured the motto was: eat big, get big, lift big.

Relative strength, absolute strength...?!
Thatīs more complicated than bodybuilding...

Buckfever
05-03-15, 4:28 pm

IMO your strength to weight ratio will continue to improve as long as you add lean muscle to your frame. I don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive.

skibasgym
05-03-15, 7:06 pm
Perfectly stated - Get Bigger. The motto most of us live by!

adharsh
05-03-15, 9:35 pm
depends on where your bench and squats are! There are lifters who have hit 500 pound dead lifts with 165 BW. So I would say focus on bringing your squats and bench, and later if you feel your progress is slow, start getting bigger.

Hope it helps

peace
adharsh

Strength Cleveland
08-13-15, 2:32 pm
Thanks guys I've been eating big and it's paying off

skibasgym
08-16-15, 6:54 pm
Bigger is always better!