PDA

View Full Version : Getting stronger in a bodyweight sport

DGymn
03-12-15, 10:36 am
I'm not a powerlifter nor bodybuilder but a gymnast (specializing on still rings) and for the last year I've been having a hard time getting stronger. Wich is too bad as I'm just underneath worlds best. I've tried doing more workload, I've tried doing less workload.. Nothing seems to really work. When my current program (pure strenght focused) is finished i'm thinking about doing some hypertrophie work as well:

Su: Hypertrophie (Back)
Mo/Thu: Rings-strenght + Max Strenght with weightbelts and weights
Thu/Fri: Rings-strenght + Hypertrophie (Chest+Back)
Sa: Rest

Heres my questions:
- Considering I'm in a bodyweight (I lift my own weight) related sport, do you think the hypertrophie would help me to get stronger?
So if I gain 2kg, I have 2 more kg of muscle that I can use, but it's 2kg I have to lift as well.
- How did you guys found your daily/weekly/monthly workload?
- Should I stick to strenght and volume dedicated days or mix 'm up?
- Any other things you notice?

I know this is a real hard question for people who probebly don't really know the sport, but if anyone is willing to help I would be very thankful. (if needed i could tape some of my training)

Brometheus
03-13-15, 4:54 am
I'm not a powerlifter nor bodybuilder but a gymnast (specializing on still rings) and for the last year I've been having a hard time getting stronger. Wich is too bad as I'm just underneath worlds best. I've tried doing more workload, I've tried doing less workload.. Nothing seems to really work. When my current program (pure strenght focused) is finished i'm thinking about doing some hypertrophie work as well:

Su: Hypertrophie (Back)
Mo/Thu: Rings-strenght + Max Strenght with weightbelts and weights
Thu/Fri: Rings-strenght + Hypertrophie (Chest+Back)
Sa: Rest

Heres my questions:
- Considering I'm in a bodyweight (I lift my own weight) related sport, do you think the hypertrophie would help me to get stronger?
So if I gain 2kg, I have 2 more kg of muscle that I can use, but it's 2kg I have to lift as well.
- How did you guys found your daily/weekly/monthly workload?
- Should I stick to strenght and volume dedicated days or mix 'm up?
- Any other things you notice?

I know this is a real hard question for people who probebly don't really know the sport, but if anyone is willing to help I would be very thankful. (if needed i could tape some of my training)

I don't see training with the goal of hypertrophy as beneficial to your sport. If you are concerned with getting stronger than formulate your routine around that.

Jay Nera
03-24-15, 11:03 pm
Do you think you lack the required musculature to perform the tasks you wish to perform?

There are weightlifters who are extremely strong for their body weights. What do you think is your optimal bodyweight? Are your lacking muscoskeletal wise in any particular areas…weak points in tasks? i.e. are your shoulder small or weak at certain points??

I think when doing performance based disciplines the key concept to accept is that "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION"
That is why so many gymnasts look the way that they do….
I think the proper way to approach this is what are your weaknesses? And what is the best way to attack them?

DGymn
04-11-15, 3:28 am
Do you think you lack the required musculature to perform the tasks you wish to perform?

There are weightlifters who are extremely strong for their body weights. What do you think is your optimal bodyweight? Are your lacking muscoskeletal wise in any particular areas…weak points in tasks? i.e. are your shoulder small or weak at certain points??

I think when doing performance based disciplines the key concept to accept is that "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION"
That is why so many gymnasts look the way that they do….
I think the proper way to approach this is what are your weaknesses? And what is the best way to attack them?

Thanks for responding jay!

I've tought about what you are saying so I'm thing to do a program going from 12 to 2 reps over a period of 6weeks for the specific gymnastic moves, and I will be adding a volumeday every week to gain a bit of mass in the pecs and lats and to get my right shoulder a bit fuller.. This I will do with the classic excercises like bench, lat pulldown, db presses...

Mo/Fri: Gymnastics strenght
We: Volume training

What do you think about this idea?

Jay Nera
06-30-15, 12:36 am
Thanks for responding jay!

I've tought about what you are saying so I'm thing to do a program going from 12 to 2 reps over a period of 6weeks for the specific gymnastic moves, and I will be adding a volumeday every week to gain a bit of mass in the pecs and lats and to get my right shoulder a bit fuller.. This I will do with the classic excercises like bench, lat pulldown, db presses...

Mo/Fri: Gymnastics strenght
We: Volume training

What do you think about this idea?

For sure dude.

THere are many ways to try things.

I used to like doing the main lifts (power lifts) and then using gymnastics movements as my assistance exercises..ie bench press filled by dips and handstand work…. or squats followed by pistols and plyos