PDA

View Full Version : Some People Need A Tough Lesson

Machine
03-19-15, 11:18 am
I believe that people, both physiologically and psychologically, settle into an adaptive position within a session which they term intense. Within that particular session, there are intensity spikes, during which they place themselves under “intermittently high” levels of intensity/strain, but these spikes should in no way be interpreted as entire sessions of 100% effort/intensity. I've just been underwhelmed too many times to believe peoples' offhand "beastmode" assertions - it's ridiculous.

Beyond that, and this is mainly directed at non-powerlifters, some of these folks seem to spend an inordinate amount of time whooping themselves into a froth for a gym PR. I'm not judging; if it works for you rock on, I'm just listening to peoples' stated goals and matching them to outcomes...their approach is ineffective. Most do not have "elite" numbers, and look like shit to boot...what is the accomplishment? When is it time to reassess?

...apparently never.

Weight training to improve athletic and physical factors is about more than obsessively tracking training poundage, repetitions completed, training splits, and schemes. It's about challenging existing capacities and developing increased capacities...in all of the disciplines. I don't understand how people can concern themselves with challenging capacities and developing increased capacities when they are constantly pissing and moaning, laying on the floor or draping themselves over equipment, panting and belly breathing, socializing, doing ridiculous war dances, and fucking yawning between sets.

...and this latest trend of yawning is more than I am prepared to tolerate; disgraceful bullshit.

People need to reshape their definition of "hardcore."

And we used to drag people out of the gym by their faces for yawning where others could see them. It's disgusting; how dare you fucking yawn in the gym! Go home and whine to your fucking mommy if you're tired - but get the fuck out and let grown folks tend to business.

Sick and tired of this weakness and complacency in the weight room, it makes me sick. Weakness is contagious, it infects people in a training space and before they know it, training intensity is out the door. Find a new hobby and don't come to the gym and pussy up our spaces.

MACHINE

smoothballer
03-19-15, 12:03 pm
Amen

intoodeep25
03-19-15, 11:55 pm
I wish every person was required to read this. I do not have any form of social media and can confidently say I never will, but from what ive seen its swamped with people who have been "training" for a few weeks or months and think they are gods gift to the world. Honestly, it makes me sick. Nobody wants to see a picture of you flexing your 14" arms in the mirror at planet fitness. The art of chipping away, day after day for year after year without bragging or thinking you are something special is a rarity now, and its a shame. The weakest dog barks the loudest, this has never been more evident. The world needs more pitbulls and less chihuahuas. At the end of the day though I could care less what all these guppies are doing with their lives. I will continue to pound away in my garage, alone, setting PR's and making sure that when I lay my head on my pillow every night I can exhale and know I laid a solid brick for that day in the mansion that im building.

eric downey
03-22-15, 1:34 am
I believe that people, both physiologically and psychologically, settle into an adaptive position within a session which they term intense. Within that particular session, there are intensity spikes, during which they place themselves under “intermittently high” levels of intensity/strain, but these spikes should in no way be interpreted as entire sessions of 100% effort/intensity. I've just been underwhelmed too many times to believe peoples' offhand "beastmode" assertions - it's ridiculous.

Beyond that, and this is mainly directed at non-powerlifters, some of these folks seem to spend an inordinate amount of time whooping themselves into a froth for a gym PR. I'm not judging; if it works for you rock on, I'm just listening to peoples' stated goals and matching them to outcomes...their approach is ineffective. Most do not have "elite" numbers, and look like shit to boot...what is the accomplishment? When is it time to reassess?

...apparently never.

Weight training to improve athletic and physical factors is about more than obsessively tracking training poundage, repetitions completed, training splits, and schemes. It's about challenging existing capacities and developing increased capacities...in all of the disciplines. I don't understand how people can concern themselves with challenging capacities and developing increased capacities when they are constantly pissing and moaning, laying on the floor or draping themselves over equipment, panting and belly breathing, socializing, doing ridiculous war dances, and fucking yawning between sets.

...and this latest trend of yawning is more than I am prepared to tolerate; disgraceful bullshit.

People need to reshape their definition of "hardcore."

And we used to drag people out of the gym by their faces for yawning where others could see them. It's disgusting; how dare you fucking yawn in the gym! Go home and whine to your fucking mommy if you're tired - but get the fuck out and let grown folks tend to business.

Sick and tired of this weakness and complacency in the weight room, it makes me sick. Weakness is contagious, it infects people in a training space and before they know it, training intensity is out the door. Find a new hobby and don't come to the gym and pussy up our spaces.

MACHINE

Words of #truth spoken in only MACHINE can.

Jay Nera
03-24-15, 10:49 pm

MACHINE

Are you reading my mind?

This should be a sign in every gym….including my own.
Reminds me of Kirk Karwoski talking about how he doesn't care about some party or some girls they did this or that with… Im here to squat!