PDA

View Full Version : Shut Up and Train

AlphaLifterJeffDowns
03-21-15, 11:31 pm
I am not an elite powerlifter.I don't go to a powerlifting gym. I'm in the army and I go to the one on post. I'm a real amateur in that sense of powerlifting with a 1035 total at 196lbs. I use to be really into going to a gym and seeing the environment and it motivating me even more then before I got there. But nowa days all I see is people doing a set and taking selfies in the mirror. or having there buddy record them for a set of 5 at 135lbs and posting it on their social media. I feel like I need to get a squat rack and bench And lift in my dungeon of a basement. Cuz the gym is apparently a place to socialize and not train.

Machine
03-23-15, 10:28 am
I am not an elite powerlifter.I don't go to a powerlifting gym. I'm in the army and I go to the one on post. I'm a real amateur in that sense of powerlifting with a 1035 total at 196lbs. I use to be really into going to a gym and seeing the environment and it motivating me even more then before I got there. But nowa days all I see is people doing a set and taking selfies in the mirror. or having there buddy record them for a set of 5 at 135lbs and posting it on their social media. I feel like I need to get a squat rack and bench And lift in my dungeon of a basement. Cuz the gym is apparently a place to socialize and not train.

Your comments are spot on; you need to remember you're not alone. We're not going to go home; let them fucking go home. You must enter the gym on post with new zeal, religious fervor, and a renewed sense of purpose. Fads pass, your a soldier, you know how to soldier on through the thorns...and make them fucking choke on it. Sharpen your battle plan; don't let anyone get in the way of executing that battle plan in the gym; you will exert maximum effort in every training session.

I am not going home to train in self imposed exile; not after many, many gyms have capitalized on the fact that I chose to train there...fuck that. We're not fucking going anywhere.

No fucking surrender

MACHINE

KettleBellFreak
03-23-15, 10:44 am

You're walking to the gym caring about what others are doing, that's the first thing wrong here. Second thing wrong is, you're letting their weakness tear at your motivation. Maybe you need to "shut the fuck up and train" instead of worrying about people who will never have what it takes to train.

Jay Nera
03-24-15, 10:35 pm

A lot of us are in the same boat brother.

I own my own gym and still run into issues with this. My business partner used to powerlift, and he was pretty good, but now whens he's on the barbell side all he does is move his mouth and not move weights….
There are some unspoken codes on conduct within all powerlifting culture….two of the most common ones are that 1) you don't walk in front or move around in someones plain of sight when they are lifting…and 2) When someone is approaching a set, every one needs to shut the fuck up.

I've thought about buying equipment and training in my basement…..and thats so contradictory to my lifelong dream of owning my own gym…. anyway, I went on my own personal rant….
needless to say… i feel you bro.