PDA

View Full Version : Opening a gym

Buckeye
03-20-07, 6:19 pm
Just wondering if anyone here owns their own gym or franchise. I'm thinking of opening my own and was looking for some insight or pointers. Thanks

JMC
03-20-07, 6:21 pm
That's what I call livin' the dream bro! Good luck...sorry I'm of NO help.

dragondad
03-20-07, 6:24 pm
No help there, but go for it. It's my dream to do the same one day.

Buckeye
03-20-07, 6:25 pm
No worries bro! Thanks for the support

Pain78
03-20-07, 6:28 pm
Hell yeah! That's my dream! Open a hardcore gym bro! Problem is, at least from those I know who've owned their own gym is staying afloat. Hard to find Animals who love dungeons. I say go for it man, and best of luck to ya!

k1usa
03-20-07, 6:49 pm
shoot me a PM...I do commercial Real Estate......have some insight to business ideas...property...and would be happy to talk to you about this idea....Ill do what I can to share information with you......its all about research...and a leap of faith...

let me know bro...make it happen

Kepano8o8
03-21-07, 12:39 am
Honestly I think alot of people think of opening a gym, but thing is if you don't have something to keep it afloat its a hard business to maintain. I'd say if you can, try and line up a few vendors to try and ease the pressure of stayin afloat alone, if possible I'd say make a multi level gym, dungeon style one one level, a room for aerobics and some cardio on another level and yah know stuff like that. Best of luck on your venture brah. ALohaz...

(brah = Hawaiian way of sayin bro)

Buckeye
03-21-07, 1:51 pm
Yeah, I want to incorp Animal and Universal Nutrition into the whole thing. Ya know, banners, products ad's, ect.

Jeff
03-22-07, 3:27 am
Hey Buckeye,

My buddy had a gym and I worked for him on the side. My advice to you from seeing some of his failures would be;
1. keep your hand out of the cookie jar (cash register)
2. stay on top of your taxes
3. be prepared for the slow months, we live in a college town so summers were very slow not much income coming in.
4. definitely get some good vendors

Good Luck!!!

Hikeon3
03-22-07, 3:40 am
Pinch pennies where possible. Running a gym isn't always cheap (not from experience, just common sense) and you will have to cut costs in some places. Maybe go dump diving or thrift store shopping for some things (not the essentials), try to find sturdy used equipment instead of buying brand new, etc. Don't want to be paying off a hefty loan so you can put the latest shiny barbells and plates in there when some Armor-All and a rag can make a 1980's set look brand new.

Keep an eye on your local Classified ads, Craig's list, and ebay. Life savers.

goody19
03-22-07, 3:54 am
I run my own bar, and all i can say is.. When the busy months come, save some of the cash, cause it will help you stay alive when the slow months come. And if you dont truely believe that you have the best product to offer to your customers, they will know it. In order to sell what you do, ya gotta love what you do. Its also a dream of mine that i WILL acheive someday.... hopefully with my winnings at the 2015 olympia and AC hahahahaha

squattingtillipuke
03-22-07, 8:33 am
My cousins own a Golds Gym in Michigan and the complaints that they had were:

1) making sure that people pay their dues...always have someone that they are chasing for dues.

2) listening to the people that have nothing to do in their lives except to complain about every little thing in the gym that they don't like.

3) starting up - very very difficult, but once you get your hardcores in the gym they will stay with you as long as you take care of them.

4) not a complaint but they said you need to make yourself part of the community. Tie into as many of the local events as possible.

Good luck if you go after it...also check out ebay for gyms that are going out of business. I see a lot of equipment on their all of the time.

mcbeast
03-22-07, 9:59 am
deff go for used equpimnet,u can find it nearly anywhere..
and im sure no real animal wants damn shiny bars..i know i dont..
best of luck..this too is a dream of mine..

ctgblue
03-22-07, 11:27 am
I am helping a buddy try to do the same thing, ,these are good things

1) making sure that people pay their dues...always have someone that they are chasing for dues.

2) listening to the people that have nothing to do in their lives except to complain about every little thing in the gym that they don't like.

3) starting up - very very difficult, but once you get your hardcores in the gym they will stay with you as long as you take care of them.

4) not a complaint but they said you need to make yourself part of the community. Tie into as many of the local events as possible.

Also, remember that just because people train hardcore doesn't mean it has to look like a sh1thole. Make people pick up their crap, unload their bars and machines, you know - basic courtesy of not thinking they are the only ones in the gym.
You gotta keep it clean, never mind the "animals don't need it clean" bullcrap, clean means no frikkin staph infections, rashes, crap like that.
You gotta have a mix of equipment and 3 sections to the gym if you want sustainable membership and income. Freeweight area with heavy duty stuff for hardcore lifters, full cardio area, selectorized machines
"Hardcore" ain't gonna pay the bills day in day out, you need to be able to have some old lady on the pin loaded stuff, some cardio bunnies, and people hitting the free weights too.
Finding the right location that matches your rent needs as well as being easy to access is crucial. Preferably some place that will allow you to expand if the business does.
***You gotta hire the right people. Minimum wage does not keep a GOOD worker at the desk, it gives them visibility to get hired by some patron to work at $10/hr at their place. It's VERY hard to find someone responsible who will watch the desk, answer phones, and make sure the @ssholes keep the gym clean (you know, the creeps who load up the leg press with 8 plates a side and walk off, like their sh1t don't stink, leave sweat all over the equipment, db's in the floor, etc..)
Bad employees make for ill will among members and it's happy members that bring in more. Until our place went to sh1t, my wife and I brought in 25 people. And we'll take them with us when a better place opens.

Good luck

Ricky P
03-22-07, 12:25 pm
Good luck brother, seriously. This is a long term goal of mine as well. I hope everything works out for you so you can tell me how to do it haha! We're all behind you, hope it all works out.

The Epidemic
12-15-07, 5:09 am
people say find something u love and get paid for it. u cant lose..

I want to open my own gym, but where do i start.. I want it somewhere in newark

Riesjs
12-15-07, 10:24 am
chain or independant?

Tiny
12-15-07, 1:52 pm
MAKE SURE you know everything and then a little more. I was pretty well off - not trying to brag - when I opened my commercial gym. I got good exposure in Muscle Mag, built up a fairly quick membership, had some of the biggest names in pro powerlifitng training there and endorsing me, and it still failed. I had to bail or I would have really lost my ass. Man, big mistake which I am still suffering repercusions from. Best thing is to ASK current gym owners their opinions now in retrospect. Not much money in gyms - especially independant ones. Say every person that joins is worth 40 bucks a month to you - think how many you will need just to make the monthly lease. Plus all the insurance you have to have. Plus the commercial electric and utility rates. Plus money for salaries unless you man the helm 24-7 personally. Even if you do it all, where's the money to pay yourself coming from? Then if you survive all of that, imagine how long it will take just to recoup the initial investment of start up costs - inspections, permits, build out, inventory, equipment, consumables like paper towels, toilet paper, disinfectant, on and on and on. Now if you took out a loan to open, then you will have that additional monthly bill. If you lease your equipment, that is the kiss of death in itself. It can be done but don't depend on it to provide for your lifestyle.

bobbymart
12-15-07, 2:09 pm
MAKE SURE you know everything and then a little more. I was pretty well off - not trying to brag - when I opened my commercial gym. I got good exposure in Muscle Mag, built up a fairly quick membership, had some of the biggest names in pro powerlifitng training there and endorsing me, and it still failed. I had to bail or I would have really lost my ass. Man, big mistake which I am still suffering repercusions from. Best thing is to ASK current gym owners their opinions now in retrospect. Not much money in gyms - especially independant ones. Say every person that joins is worth 40 bucks a month to you - think how many you will need just to make the monthly lease. Plus all the insurance you have to have. Plus the commercial electric and utility rates. Plus money for salaries unless you man the helm 24-7 personally. Even if you do it all, where's the money to pay yourself coming from? Then if you survive all of that, imagine how long it will take just to recoup the initial investment of start up costs - inspections, permits, build out, inventory, equipment, consumables like paper towels, toilet paper, disinfectant, on and on and on. Now if you took out a loan to open, then you will have that additional monthly bill. If you lease your equipment, that is the kiss of death in itself. It can be done but don't depend on it to provide for your lifestyle.

Great advice.

jeff00z28
12-15-07, 8:55 pm
seems like it would be hard w/ all these sissy golds gyms going up everywhere. They opened 2 w/in 15 minutes of my house and my gym is so much more empty (not that i have any complaints). A sissy the other day was complaining that they should have more than 1 water fountain and at least 2 or 3 at my gym and he was joining golds. I love golds because they are a newbie filter around here but it still sux to see all the small gyms closing. Its kinda like opening a small convenient store, its going to be hard because every1 will just go to walmart.

Hoots13
12-15-07, 9:31 pm
I financed a franchise gym here locally. The owners (husband & wife) are bitter rivals with the local Golds Gym owner. That was 2 1/2 years ago. They will finally break even at year end (2000 members). Make sure you have the cash to cover expenses for a year up front. Don't plan on paying yourseld, either, for a while. A 30,000sf buildout will run ya around $400,000 (if plumbing and electrical are not set up for this type of business), and equipment to fill it another $400,000 - $450,000. She is a doctor by trade, and was able to pump thousands into it to keep it going till it could run itself.

Don't try to be all things to all people. You will never satisfy everyone. Find your niche and be the best at it.

And, if you have to finance, have a business plan that covers absolutely everything! Local competition, traffic counts, sales projections! Check with your local EDC and Chamber of Commerce. See if your gym will be in a TIF district, that will help with costs. Consider SBA support. A 507 or 504 will cost you 2.5% - 3.5% of your loan, but the fees can be ammortized to coincide with your loan payments. Plus, the banks LOVE it when SBA takes on a portion of the guarantee or the note. It can mean the difference between doin the deal and not.

If it's what you love, and you are 100% committed, shop around until you find a lender you believes in YOU, not just wanting a deal.

Good luck!

BamBam
07-27-10, 11:44 am
Well fellas, I guess I am finally gonna take the big step and open up (or try to) my own gym. Not a HUGE "Urban Active" type place or anything fancy... short, sweet, yet brutally effective. I'm going to meet the guy who owns the building today and get the exact specs to post up. But as of now, he has $27,000 dollars worth of equipment (invoice to prove that's what he spent), and space for an office and additional gym space if we grow and expand. He wants to sell the equipment to me (which I would like so I could own it, and then sell the stuff I don't need), and rent me the space for $400 a month, possibly, eventually, selling me the space. Only bills I would have would be to pay for water/sewage (small bathroom), and electricity. So, is this a good deal? Am I getting screwed? Any help or advice would be helpful. I am going to be asking around and calling a few companies for a "sponsorship" and get some supplements to sell in the gym, as well as banners, equipment (elitefts and westside), etc.

Again, any help, ideas, or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

p.s.- If I get to own the gym, first day of its opening... ABC!

IN IRON,
BB-

boyer77
07-27-10, 11:52 am
Hey BB, I think 400/mo is a killer deal. Just remember that you want to set aside some money for marketing (to get customers), you want to always have about 3-6 months worth of rent in the bank and just always think ahead. I helped my brother with his business and there were a lot of things that we had never thought about. Good luck brother, I wish you the best

BamBam
07-27-10, 11:57 am
Hey BB, I think 400/mo is a killer deal. Just remember that you want to set aside some money for marketing (to get customers), you want to always have about 3-6 months worth of rent in the bank and just always think ahead. I helped my brother with his business and there were a lot of things that we had never thought about. Good luck brother, I wish you the best

Awesome! Thanks bro. I've got a giant ass notebook to keep track of everything and page one is "WHAT I NEED"- this is now line 2 apart from finalizing the loan. God Bless..

IN IRON
BB-

BamBam
07-27-10, 1:15 pm
Also want to state that this will be a partnership with my friend Cory. He has an exercise science degree so good to show to investors and help with the loan lol..

IN IRON,
BB-

FITGYM
07-27-10, 1:58 pm
Well fellas, I guess I am finally gonna take the big step and open up (or try to) my own gym. Not a HUGE "Urban Active" type place or anything fancy... short, sweet, yet brutally effective. I'm going to meet the guy who owns the building today and get the exact specs to post up. But as of now, he has $27,000 dollars worth of equipment (invoice to prove that's what he spent), and space for an office and additional gym space if we grow and expand. He wants to sell the equipment to me (which I would like so I could own it, and then sell the stuff I don't need), and rent me the space for $400 a month, possibly, eventually, selling me the space. Only bills I would have would be to pay for water/sewage (small bathroom), and electricity. So, is this a good deal? Am I getting screwed? Any help or advice would be helpful. I am going to be asking around and calling a few companies for a "sponsorship" and get some supplements to sell in the gym, as well as banners, equipment (elitefts and westside), etc.

Again, any help, ideas, or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

p.s.- If I get to own the gym, first day of its opening... ABC!

IN IRON,
BB-

IF ANY HELP IS NEEDED DON'T HESITATE TO ASK...just PM me

Legacy
07-27-10, 3:03 pm
Bottom line it comes down to is it is a business and you need to treat it like so. Make sure you can get all your licenses and approval from all the boards. Also, what type of gym is it? Are you trying to create a somewhat hardcore gym for bodybuilders and powerlifters, or are you trying to create something for everyone? Do you have a business plan lined up so you can explain it for a loan? Theres a lot that goes into opening up a gym for a couple hundred members, hope you look at everything.

One of the best gyms I have come across is a guy in the same situation as you. He had a good space, a decent amount of equipment, and kept the place like a hole in the wall. Since he had the market, he was able to keep it a somewhat hardcore place and gave each member a key to the gym so it was basically 24 hours. All he asked was that each member paid their yearly dues and as long as the member count never went below X the gym would remain so the bills were paid.

Also, shoot a PM to Vinny, hes got his own gym maybe he can help you out.

BamBam
07-27-10, 3:27 pm
IF ANY HELP IS NEEDED DON'T HESITATE TO ASK...just PM me

Thank You! I def will be doing so here soon

Bottom line it comes down to is it is a business and you need to treat it like so. Make sure you can get all your licenses and approval from all the boards. Also, what type of gym is it? Are you trying to create a somewhat hardcore gym for bodybuilders and powerlifters, or are you trying to create something for everyone? Do you have a business plan lined up so you can explain it for a loan? Theres a lot that goes into opening up a gym for a couple hundred members, hope you look at everything.

One of the best gyms I have come across is a guy in the same situation as you. He had a good space, a decent amount of equipment, and kept the place like a hole in the wall. Since he had the market, he was able to keep it a somewhat hardcore place and gave each member a key to the gym so it was basically 24 hours. All he asked was that each member paid their yearly dues and as long as the member count never went below X the gym would remain so the bills were paid.

Also, shoot a PM to Vinny, hes got his own gym maybe he can help you out.

Thanks bro for the heads up man. I will line out a plan along with my friend who is opening with me. I have a client list who all know me and have trained with / along side me who have agreed to come to my place and pay whatever.

*EDIT*
This will be 90% hardcore gym for powerlifters, strongmen, bodybuilders... and 10% for the avg Joe or housewife who wants to lift.

IN IRON,
BB-

Sprint
07-27-10, 8:01 pm
Havnt got anything to add to this thread apart from saying good luck, and just to keep me updated with the various advices being posted up here because Im aiming to open my own gym in the future. (Not yet, but that's the big dream Im shooting for.)

mnmvilla2002
07-28-10, 9:41 am
Like most I would like to open a gym one day. There has been some good information posted in this thread. Best of luck to you guys opening gyms. Hopefully one day I will open one too.

taylorhoods
08-03-10, 5:09 am
Hi guys

I'm looking to open a gym in the Oregon area and was wondering if any of you know any good places where I can get a fitness center ideas, plans from, im sure there are a few gym owners on this forum who will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

hoods

Legacy
08-03-10, 9:49 am
Hi guys

I'm looking to open a gym in the Oregon area and was wondering if any of you know any good places where I can get a fitness center ideas, plans from, im sure there are a few gym owners on this forum who will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

hoods

Well first you gotta figure out what kind of gym you want to open. Do you want one to cater to the masses and fulfill everyones want or do you want to create a gym in a niche market that specifically targets the old school and bodybuilding type gym? On top of all that man your gonna need to start working on a really big plan that you can pitch to someone to get a loan, unless you already got the dough. In all honesty bro, gyms are a dime a dozen so if you can do something that will catch people and show how your gym is completely different its going to help you out. I always wanted to create a small local gym for the big time lifters. If your looking to create a small type gym I've seen a lot of people create gyms in their basement, add an entrance and they offer yearly memberships to a small group of people. If your looking to go big scale look at the area and see what gyms are currently around and what they are charging. If you were looking at a franchise gym, I know Dorian Yates has franchising ability for his Temple Gym

BamBam
08-03-10, 10:54 am
Well first you gotta figure out what kind of gym you want to open. Do you want one to cater to the masses and fulfill everyones want or do you want to create a gym in a niche market that specifically targets the old school and bodybuilding type gym? On top of all that man your gonna need to start working on a really big plan that you can pitch to someone to get a loan, unless you already got the dough. In all honesty bro, gyms are a dime a dozen so if you can do something that will catch people and show how your gym is completely different its going to help you out. I always wanted to create a small local gym for the big time lifters. If your looking to create a small type gym I've seen a lot of people create gyms in their basement, add an entrance and they offer yearly memberships to a small group of people. If your looking to go big scale look at the area and see what gyms are currently around and what they are charging. If you were looking at a franchise gym, I know Dorian Yates has franchising ability for his Temple Gym

I am still going through the opening phases of getting my gym and its members, equipment, licenses, loans, grants, etc together. It is a bitch of a process but hey, its worth it in the end right.... RIGHT?!

IN IRON,
BB-