PDA

View Full Version : My Iron Saga: Road to Elite

Ethan Dew
04-05-15, 9:17 am
So after following the FORVM for awhile and being able to have the opportunity to work in The Cage this year at the Arnold, I figured it was about time I shared my own journey. I first started lifting weights in the 7th grade for my football team. It was twice a week, and a very unorganized training program. That got me from 7th grade through high school. I thought I was strong then, but what I didn't realize was that there was so much more to learn. I knew nothing about nutrition, how the body works, how to construct a good program, anything like that. Thankfully when I graduated high school, I got lucky enough to start training with a buddy of mine who is on his way to getting certified as a Strength and Conditioning Coach, and the rest is history. When I started training seriously, my numbers were pretty frail for being about 250 bw at the time. Squat was approximately 315 for 3, bench around 205 for 3 and deadlift about 365.

Fast forward about three years. I'm in my third year at Virginia Tech as an Engineering student and I've been training seriously for about three years, and I had my first powerlifting meet just about a year ago. Once my technique started to get better, my lifts started flying up. Since last spring, I've done one single lift meet (my first one, dead only) and three full meets. My total has progressed from my first meet, 1455, to 1510, to most recently 1609 at my last meet via 601/352/655 raw no wraps at the USPA Strong Box Pro/Am in Charleston WV. I've done one meet in the 275 class and the other meets at 308.

My next planned meet is August 29th in Lynchburg, VA for the USPA VA State Championships. My ultimate goal for this meet is to break the USPA American record for deadlift for 20-23 308's. The record is currently 677, and I pulled 655 with room to spare in February, so come August, that record is mine. I'd also like to further push my squat into the 600's, total 1650+ and improve my poverty bench which is easily my weakness. I've been training under the Daily Undulating Periodization principle for a few months now and it has been working for me. I'll start to keep my logs on here. I'd appreciate the support ya'll!

Let's get after it!

Ethan Dew
04-05-15, 3:58 pm
Today was my volume leg day.
Squat with bands
4x8 with 315 + ~ 120 lbs of band tension
6x12 RDL
4x15 Leg press
4x15 each leg single leg extensions
4x15 each leg single leg ham curls
4x15 seated calf raises

Goal on the volume days is to get in a substantial amount of volume after concentrating on my primary movement. Get to embrace international chest day tomorrow with all the gym bro's with my volume chest session.

Ethan Dew
04-07-15, 8:40 pm
Hypertrophy Chest Day
Incline bench 3x8 with 225, 1 set with 235
Flat DB Bench 4x8 with 110's
Flat Cable Fly 4x15
Incline Cable Fly 4x15
Flat Bench 1 set of 225 AMRAP, got 15 reps
Tricep Pushdowns 4x12

My hypertrophy days are more like bodybuilding style workouts, just to get a good amount of volume in while I'm still a good bit away from my next meet. Been dealing with some nagging elbow and shoulder issues, so it's feeling good to get back into pressing heavy again. Just trying to get my poverty bench to keep going up.

Ethan Dew
04-08-15, 8:42 pm
4/8/15 - Hypertrophy Back Day
4x8 Sumo , top set at 455
4x8 glute ham raises
4x12 1 Arm rows
4x12 Cable T- Bar Rows
10x12 Lat Pulldowns
4x12 Straight Arm Pulldowns
4x12 Shrugs

Really blasted my upper back with a ton of volume today, traps are like instantly sore. Conventional is my dominant deadlift stance, so I'm trying to work on my sumo while I'm still a ways out from my next meet. Starting to get a better feel for the technique so the weights are starting to go up nicely. 455x8 was definitely a solid pull for my off stance, and sets of 8 on deadlift are essentially cardio

Ethan Dew
04-10-15, 7:20 pm
Hit two reps with 540 on the squat today. Planned for a triple, but i failed on the 3rd rep and had to dump it. First time I've failed on a squat since my first full meet last June. Two days ago on my hypertrophy back day i thought it would be a good idea to do some high volume shrugs. My upper back is still really fatigued which caused me to loose tightness and come forward and in turn miss the lift. I'm not trying to make excuses as to why i missed it, just trying to understand why and correct that. But this 540x2 is still the most weight I've ever done more more than a single. So there's that. Gotte keep getting better.

Squat 5x3 , working sets were 460, 480, 500, 520 and then 520x2.
Pause squat 4x5 with 315
Beltless RDL 5x5 with 315
Leg Extensions 4x12
Hamstring Curls 4x12
Seared Calf Raises 4x12

Ethan Dew
04-12-15, 9:07 am
4/11/2015
Heavy chest day

My program ends in two weeks and calls for a mock meet, and today will be my last really heavy bench day before that so I worked up a 1RM. Took 3 attempts just like a meet, went 325, 345 and then 365! Which is a 10 pound PR! The poverty bench is slowly improving and I'm definitely happy with that. Bringing up my bench is just gonna help add to my total. Rest of the workout looked like this:
Bench: 3x5 275 paused for backdown sets
Rack Press 5x3 w/ 295
Incline DB Press 4x8 w/ 100's
Hammer Strength Military Press 4x8
Flat DB Fly 4x12
Decline Cable Fly 4x15
Tricep Pushdowns 4x12

Get my heavy pressing done at the beginning of the workout and then get some decent volume in at the end with flys and some tricep accessories. If I'm feeling good for my next session I'm gonna pull for singles, aiming for 675

Ethan Dew
04-14-15, 5:35 pm
4/12/15
Heavy Back Day
That was my last heavy pulling session before my mock meet next weekend, so I took 3 singles on dead to emulate that portion of a meet. Warmed up like I always do, took first single at 605, which is my best triple, smoked it. Second attempt at 640, which went pretty smooth. Took 3rd at 675, missed it a few inches above the knee. I gripped it uneven at the start of the pull, so more weight was in my left hand and my grip failed. Biggest deadlift attempt in my life and I didn't even grip it right... The more I watched the video the more I think I could've grinded it out if I didn't grab it wrong. Oh well. Back is pretty sore from the miss. Probably going to take 665 as my third attempt at my mock meet next weekend. Rest of the workout:
Chest supported Rows 4x8
Wide Grip Underhand rows 4x12
T Bar Pulldowns 8x12
Single Arm Machine Preacher Curls 4x12

Ethan Dew
04-14-15, 5:40 pm
4/14/15
Volume Legs
Had to take squats lighter than usual today, back is pretty sore from the dead singles on Sunday, most notably the 675 miss. Just focused on the hypertrophy today, not as much with the amount of weight.
Squat 4x8 w/ 365
RDL 6x12
Leg Press 4x15
Single Leg Ham Curls 4x15 each leg
Single Leg Leg Ext 4x15 each leg
Seated Calf Rasie 4x15

Had a sweet quad and ham pump going after leg press and got in to the unilateral work. I wear my SBD's up through leg press so when I take them off all the blood just comes rushing to my quads, like some accidental occlusion training. Been doing these RDL's beltless like always but also without straps just to get some extra grip work.

Ethan Dew
04-15-15, 10:15 pm
4/15/2015
Hypertrophy Chest

Incline Bench
3x8, 1x10 w/ 225
Flat DB Bench 4x8-12
Hammer Strength Military Press 4x8
Flat Machine Cable Fly 4x15
Cable Incline Fly 4x15
225 Flat Bench AMRAP - 10 reps
Tricep Pushdowns - 4x12

Finally remembered that I had some L-Arginine to use, and I got a ridiculous chest pump. I finally have a workout partner so after the heavy pressing is done and we get into the flys I like to go as little rest as possible in between sets to get the hypertrophy in and get a stupid pump, and it works. By the time the AMRAP set of bench came around I was so fatigued lol. Last week I got 16 and today was a struggle to bust out 10. Tomorrow is hypertrophy back day, and back is still a little sore from the 675 miss on Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

Ethan Dew
04-17-15, 11:37 am
4/16/15
Hypertrophy Back
Since I'm so far out from my next meet, about 19 weeks right now, I've been pulling sumo once a week on my second pull day trying to work on that technique. I've never really tested my sumo for max weight as I usually do it only with rep work. Previous PR on sumo was 495. Worked up to that, then took 545, 585 and then 605! So I guess I'm not as bad at it as I thought. Not even considering switching though, still about 60 lbs less than my conventional. Rest of the workout was:
Weighted GHR 4x8
1 Arm Rows 4x12
Cable T Bar Rows 4x12
Lat Pulldowns 10x12
Straight Arm Lat Pulldowns 4x12

Ethan Dew
04-20-15, 11:21 am
Friday was an impromptu bench day, and ending up hitting a PR, 315x4 paused. Poverty bench is slowly improving, really working to dial in my technique and be as efficient as possible. Got my mock meet this weekend, so this week will be relatively boring as far as training goes. I worked up to me squat and dead openers on Sunday. From now until Thursday I will do 5 singles on the three comp lifts each day, tapering off and lowering the weight as the week goes on. Today on squat I'll go 225,225,275,275,315, on bench 225 for all 5 and dead 315 for all 5, and on Thursday all of them will be with 135 and Friday will be completely off with the mock meet Saturday. This seems to work well for me. Nothing heavy, just to go over my cues and dial in my technique and go over commands, more to be mentally ready than anything. If I hit my planned numbers, Ill go 615/370/665

Ethan Dew
04-22-15, 9:24 pm
Deloading for the mock meet this weekend, so a pretty boring week of training. Bench set up and technique is feeling really dialed in, felt like I could've thrown 275 into orbit. Only nagging thing is my ankles are kind of bothering me in the squat, guess I just need to get them loose for the mock meet. Hoping for 615/370/665.

Ethan Dew
04-26-15, 8:02 am
Mock meet went really well this weekend! Went 3 for 3 on squat, going 545, 575 and 615 for a 15 lb PR! My 3rd squat was the grinder of a lifetime, I've never had to fight so hard for a rep. Bench went 2/3 going 325, 345 and missed 370. 345 went pretty smooth, and my meet PR is 352, so I'm confident I'll smash that when meet time comes around. Deadlift I went 3/3 going 605, 635, 675 for a 20 lb PR! The lockout on 675 was a real bitch but I obliterated it off of the floor. I went 8/9 on the day with a 1635 total. Only 2 pounds off of the USPA American Deadlift record for 20-23 308's. I know I'll smash that when August rolls around.

Ethan Dew
04-30-15, 11:53 am
Taking this week to recover from the mock meet before I start my new training cycle on Monday. A few exciting things, Monday I hit 415x5 pause squat along with some additional leg hypertrophy. Yesterday I banged out 315 for 7 on a ME set on bench! Pretty excited with that, it was a rep PR with 315 by 3 reps. Slowly getting more confident in my bench. Probably gonna hit some shoulders and OHP today and some back tomorrow. Getting ready for the new cycle next week.

Ethan Dew
05-05-15, 10:33 am
So Sunday I had a squat session, anticipating my new program which started Monday would start with dead or a bench session. I was wrong, had to squat heavy again on Monday.
Sunday I worked up to a 500 lb pause squat. Didn't do much other substantial work that day, but legs were still fatigued.
Monday:
Squat 5x5 , top set 475x5
Beltless RDL 4x8
Barbell Step Ups 3x8 each leg
Lying ham curls 4x12
Leg Ext 4x12
Glute Bridges 4x12
A lap of walking lunges around the track (~ 1/9 of a mile)

Legs are currently wrecked due to squatting heavy two days in a row. But I'll recover soon, in time to squat again Friday. Like Apeman Strong says, "Destruction Forces Growth"

Ed Eliason
05-05-15, 12:11 pm
Nice work in here! Great job at your mock meet, I'm looking forward to following your journey to your meet in August.

Ethan Dew
05-05-15, 5:46 pm
Nice work in here! Great job at your mock meet, I'm looking forward to following your journey to your meet in August.

Thanks man! I definitely appreciate it. Training is going well, a little under 17 weeks out from the meet right now. Working hard, aiming to break a 1700 total.

Ethan Dew
05-06-15, 1:48 pm
Two pretty good sessions in the last two days.
5/5/2015
5x5 bench, 4th set with 315, only got 325 for 3 on 5th set.
Rack press 4x5, 305x5 top set
3x8 Alternating DB Bench
4x8 Incline DB fly
4x12 Decline cable flys
3x8 Banded speed bench
4x12 Tricep rope extensions

5/6/2015
4x4 deadlift, top set was 585x4. Currently pulling with an Okie deadlift bar, I'll have to pull on a stiffer bar when I go home from school.
Pendlay rows 5x5
Explosive banded GHR 3x12
Wide Grip lat pulldowns 4x8
Chest supported T Bar rows 3x8
Single arm machine preacher curls, 4x12

Hamstrings and glutes were still pretty sore but still managed to get a solid pull session in. Today was the first time I've pulled since the mock meet, so they weren't feeling real good. 585x4 was a PR for a rep scheme I never do lol. In between my other PR's of 555x5 and 605x3. Hands currently feel like D-Day.

Ethan Dew
05-07-15, 10:29 pm
Starting to incorporate the heavy core work back into my program as the meet slowly approaches. I've found that one heavy core day per week is more effective than just doing an ab exercise at the end of every session. So I dedicate one entire session to core work, mostly heavy stabilization stuff. Once I started this in my previous meet cycles I could definitely tell a difference in my squat being able to keep my core more rigid and stay more upright.
Weighted planks 4x30 seconds, top set with 4 plates
Weighted 6 inches 4x60 seconds
Weighted Ab roller 4x12
Cable crunches 4x12
Russian DB twists 3x15

Going in to squat tomorrow for the 3rd time since Sunday. Should be interesting.

Ethan Dew
05-08-15, 3:43 pm
Today was the 3rd time I've squatted since Sunday.. the 2nd weekly leg day of this program, one of the most intense sessions I've had in a long time.
5x5 pause squats, top set of 425x5
4x8 beltless RDL, top set of 315x8
4x15 leg press
4x12 goblet squats
3x8 explosive banded RDL
4x12 calf raises
1 lap of walking lunges with BW

Currently walking around like a young Forrest Gump. Legs are definitely growing from this. Gotta keep pushing my squat further into the 600's to keep building my total.

Ethan Dew
05-09-15, 5:49 pm
Solid bench day today, 2nd pressing day of this 1st 8 day period of the new cycle.
Spoto Press 5x5, top set of 285x5
Banded speed bench 3x8
Incline DB bench 4x8
Flat DB Fly 3x8
Pec Dec 4x12
Incline Hammer Strength Press 3xME
Tricep push downs 4x12

Getting some good heavy pressing early on and then banging out some volume afterwards. Trying to get my poverty bench up.

Ethan Dew
05-11-15, 1:54 pm
Good pulling session today. Was originally supposed to deadlift yesterday, but I worked for 4 hours and then spent 6 hours in the library working one a take home final for one of my classes. At that point I was mentally exhausted, so I slept for about 10 and a half hours and went and got in my back session today.

Block Pulls 5x4, top set of 600x4. Starting about 2" below the knee.
Weighted GHR 4x8
1 Arm DB Rows 4x8
Power Shrugs 4x8
Cable T Bar Rows 3x15
Inverted Rows 3xME , at 295 bw I cant exactly get any substantial volume on pullups so I do these instead.
4x12 machine preacher curls.

It was a good session today, was the last day I get to pull with the Okie deadlift bar until next semester though, which is depressing. I'm gonna miss this gym while I'm at home over summer break.

J-Dawg
05-11-15, 3:32 pm
Mock meet went really well this weekend! Went 3 for 3 on squat, going 545, 575 and 615 for a 15 lb PR! My 3rd squat was the grinder of a lifetime, I've never had to fight so hard for a rep. Bench went 2/3 going 325, 345 and missed 370. 345 went pretty smooth, and my meet PR is 352, so I'm confident I'll smash that when meet time comes around. Deadlift I went 3/3 going 605, 635, 675 for a 20 lb PR! The lockout on 675 was a real bitch but I obliterated it off of the floor. I went 8/9 on the day with a 1635 total. Only 2 pounds off of the USPA American Deadlift record for 20-23 308's. I know I'll smash that when August rolls around.

Just caught this. Great numbers--that's a heck of a mock meet!

Ethan Dew
05-11-15, 5:13 pm
Just caught this. Great numbers--that's a heck of a mock meet!

Thanks J-Dawg! I was pretty pleased with how it went, only missing my third bench. I'm hoping that at my meet in August I can total 1700 and be pulling 700.

Ethan Dew
05-13-15, 1:11 pm
Last training session this semester at the gym I lift in at school, pretty sad. So I had to put in work today.
5x5 squat, top set of 500x5, 15 lb PR! Been working towards 500 for more than 3 reps for a while so pretty pleased with that.
4x8 beltless 4x8
3x8 Barbell Step Ups
4x12 leg ext
4x12 lying ham curls
4x12 glute bridges
1 lap of walking lunges

Good day of lifting today.

Ethan Dew
05-14-15, 7:42 pm
Had an eventful bench session today. On my top set of bench, after my last rep I went to rack it, and the racks on the benches at my gym at school are a lot deeper than these at my home gym, and the bar bounced out of the rack one on side and came down and came close to hitting my face, but combined me and my spotter grabbed it. But I did re-aggravate my tricep again so I'll have to really take care of that. Shook me up a bit but it's whatever. We face risks like that every day in the gym but it wont faze me at all. Other than that had a pretty solid session.

Bench 5x5, top set of 320x4
Rack press 4x5
Single arm alternating DB press 3x8
DB incline flys 4x8
Decline cable flys 4x12
Explosive banded bench 3x8
Tricep pushdowns 4x12

Tricep is pretty sore from the debacle today. It was my fault though, nothing to do with the spotter. Just have to be less reckless racking the bar on bench. In other news, I've come to the conclusion that I need to take my diet more seriously if I want to keep making good progress in this sport. I've been waking up at about 300 bw the last few days, but for the past couple weeks I've just been eating whatever and honestly it's been a lot of shit food. Gonna cut some bad weight and try to gain some quality mass going in to the meet.

Ethan Dew
05-15-15, 2:59 pm
Good back session today. First day pulling back at the home gym. I've been pulling on an Okie deadlift bar at school, and now at home I'll be pulling with a Texas power bar. Less whip, but better than any of the generic bars.
Deadlift 5x4, top set of 600x4
Pendlay rows 5x5
Explosive banded GHR 3x12
WG lat pull downs 4x8
T Bar rows 3x8
Power shrugs 4x8
Single arm preacher curls 4x12

Really solid session today. Almost lost a callus on the deads today. Traps are like instantly sore from shrugs. Core work tomorrow and then heavy pause skwaats on sunday.

Ethan Dew
05-16-15, 3:07 pm
Just got some core work in today, mostly heavy stabilization stuff. Working on that in my last meet cycle really helped me in the squat and dead to maintain more core rigidity. It's not a real taxing workout so it's kind of like having an active recovery day between my first pull day and my second squat day of the week, 15 weeks out from today until the meet, officially registered yesterday. Also just from the last few days trying to eat cleaner, noticeably less bloated from all of the shit food. Woke up at 296 bw this morning, past couple days have been at 300, didn't weigh yesterday morning. Might try to get under 290 just from eating cleaner and then put on some quality mass for the meet. As long as I'm feeling strong and I make weight for 308, don't really care how much I weigh in at, just going to wreck shit. Getting ready to squat tomorrow.

Ethan Dew
05-16-15, 10:46 pm
It's a Saturday night on summer break, I'm a 21 year old kid. Most people my age are out drinking and stuff like that. I'm prepping meals and getting ready to go to sleep so I can get up at 6:30 to eat and go train. Normal people don't understand how much goes into this, even people who claim that they follow this lifestyle but don't make the sacrifices. This isn't a sometimes thing. You can't train hard once in a while and expect to make any significant progress. You can't half ass your reps and cut sets short and expect to reach your potential. It takes a different kind of animal to do the things that we do. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ethan Dew
05-17-15, 10:28 am
Got in an early leg session this morning with my coach/training partner. Hit an old school gym, definitely had that old school feel. Crushed the workout right at an hour.
Pause squat 5x5
RDL 4x8
Goblet squat 4x12
Leg press 4x15
Banded explosive RDL 3x8
Calf raises 4x8

Ethan Dew
05-18-15, 5:01 pm
Had a pretty good bench session today. Tricep was kinda sore, but the compression cuff kept it feeling alright most of the time, and taking Animal Flex has helped. But got in a good workout regardless
Spoto Press 5x5, top set hit 290x6
Banded Speed Bench 3x8
Incline DB Bench 4x8
Flat DB Fly 3x8
Pec Deck 4x12
Combine bench, 225xAmrap got 14, at this point my chest was so fatigued
Tricep Rope Extensions 4x12

Good session today, resting up to hit some heavy pulls off of the blocks tomorrow.

Ethan Dew
05-19-15, 3:41 pm
Another good pulling session today. 2nd week into this cycle and the weights are feeling good all around. I'll run this cycle for about 4 more weeks until I start to peak for the meet in august.
Block pulls 5x4, top set 615x4 , 10 lb PR
45 Degree barbell back raises 4x8
Cable T Bar Rows 3x15
WG Lat Pulldowns 3x15
DB Rows 4x8
Single Arm Preacher Curls 4x12

The 45 degree barbell back raises are definitely tough. Put them in my program via recommendation from Pete Rubish. Hopefully they will help me keep improving my lockout strength. Rest day tomorrow, then hitting some big squats on Thursday.

Ethan Dew
05-21-15, 6:34 pm
Had my heavy leg session today, hit another PR. Weights have been feeling really good since I started this cycle. I'm running 5x5 on my heavy days now for the core lifts, and this will tie right in to the first phase of my peaking program for the meet, so Ill be running this rep scheme for a while. Hopefully plenty more PR's to come.
Squat 5x5, top set of 505x5, 5 lb PR
RDL 4x8
Barbell Step Ups 3x8
Ham Curls 4x12
Leg Ext 4x12
Glute Bridges 4x12
Walking Lunges 2 laps, back home on a shorter track now.

Enjoying this time to do nothing but train, but hopefully I'll have a summer job soon. Getting ready to bench tomorrow.

Ethan Dew
05-22-15, 8:58 pm
Had a pretty good bench day today, tricep is kinda bothering me some but the cuff kept it feeling alright.
Bench 5x5, top 2 sets with 315
Rack Press 4x5
Alternating DB Bench 3x8
Incline DB Fly 4x8
Decline Cable Fly 4x12
Banded Speed Bench 3x8
Tricep extensions 4x12

Both tri's are feeling pretty rough. Hoping most of it is just soreness, and that Flex will take care of the rest.

Ethan Dew
05-25-15, 8:31 am
Back day went well on Saturday, pulled another 5 lb PR. Definitely a tough set. Caught a huge whiff of the Nose Tork, felt that shit in my brain for like the next 30 minutes.
Deadlift 5x4, top set of 605x4 , 5 lb PR
Pendlay Rows 5x5
Explosive Banded GHR 3x12
Rack Pull into Power Shrug 4x8
WG Lat Pulldowns 4x8
T Bar Rows 3x8
Preacher Curls 4x12

Then Sunday just had my ab day so just to come in and get some core work done. High rep ab rollers are pretty bad when you are this big lol. Today all the gyms are closes so it's an unavoidable rest day. Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day.

Ethan Dew
05-27-15, 8:38 am
Had a pretty solid squat session yesterday after having to take Monday off. Had a friend come from the next county over to come train, he's done one USAPL meet. Good strong kid.
Pause Squat 5x5 , op set of 430x5
RDL 4x8
Goblet Squat 4x12
Leg Press 4x15
Calf raise 4x12
Explosive Banded RDL 3x8
Walking lunges 2 laps

Back is super sore today, specifically my right erector. Hopefully just sore and didn't pull anything. Going in to hit some bench today. 13.5 weeks out right now.

Ethan Dew
05-28-15, 9:18 am
Had a good bench session yesterday. Played around with tucking my feet back and being on my toes instead of having feet flat, since my meet is USPA and feet don't have to be flat. Felt pretty solid, was a lot more tight in my lower body. I'll keep playing around with that for the next couple bench sessions to see if I like it.
Spoto Press, top set of 295x6
Banded Speed Bench 3x8
Incline DB Bench 4x8
Flat DB Fly 3x8
Pec Deck 4x12
Combine Bench 1xAMRAP
Tricep Pushdowns 4x12

Now getting ready for some heavy block pulls today.

Ethan Dew
05-28-15, 8:17 pm
Today's back session
Block pulls 5x4, top set of 620x4
45 Degree Barbell Back Extensions 4x8, did these with a 5 second hold on the last rep of each set. Brutal
DB Rows 4x8
Cable Face Pulls 4x12
Chest Supported Rows 3x15
Inverted Rows 3xAMRAP
Preacher Curls 4x12

Feeling strong as hell during this training cycle, hitting PR's left and right. Really excited to see what I'm capable of when I'm peaked for the meet. Just over 13 weeks out.

Also, looking at the qualifying totals, probably a long shot for RUM 9, but I will qualify for RUM 10. Mark my words.

Ethan Dew
05-30-15, 10:02 pm
Really good squat session today. Technique was really dialed in and the weights felt great. Once again another squat PR.
Squat 5x5 , top set 510x5, 5 lb PR
RDL 4x8
Single Legged Leg Press 3x8
Leg Ext 4x12
Ham Curls 4x12
Banded GHR 4x12
Calves 3x12
Walking Lunges 2 laps

Benching tomorrow, hoping to hit 320x5 for my top set.

Ethan Dew
06-05-15, 8:59 pm
Been away for a little while. Been over in Lynchburg coaching football camp with the man I played for in high school. That was fun but it's nice to back in my home gym. This week, on Monday I hit a smooth 655 pull with no baby powder or ammonia and on a stiffer bar so that was a confidence builder. Wednesday I hit 300x5 on Spoto press so my bench is steadily moving. And today I was obliterating my sets of block pulls so I wanted to test it out. So I worked up to it and I hit 700!! Almost hit it for a double too. I'm real confident that when I'm peaked that when I take this off of the floor I'll smash it. Tomorrow makes 12 weeks out. Big things coming.

Ethan Dew
06-30-15, 9:00 pm
Wow it has been a while since I've been in here. Progressing along within my peaking cycle, reps are starting to drop. Recently I've hit a 620 squat and a 680 deadlift, both 5 lb PR's. Reps are now down to doubles and triples for my competition lifts for the next few weeks before I get into testing. Planning on being back in here more often again. About 8 and a half weeks out right now.

Ethan Dew
07-06-15, 8:22 pm
Had a really solid week of training last week, hit PR's on all of my competition lifts. Hit 545x3 on squat which was a 10 lb rep PR and also the heaviest weight I've ever done for more than a single. 330x3 paused on bench, also a 10lb PR and the heaviest of anything I've done for more than a single. And 640x2 on deadlift, 5 lb PR and the 635 double was with an Okie DL bar, and now I'm pulling on a TPB. 700 is so close. I'm gonna take it from the floor a month from today. I locked out 700 from the blocks a couple weeks ago with the bar starting an inch or two below my knee, almost hit it for a double so the strength is there. 700 will fall. Soon.

Ethan Dew
08-27-15, 5:57 pm
Haven't posted in here in forever. Currently two days out from the meet. Last competition was in February, so it's been a long time since I've been on the platform. Planned 3rd attempts as of now are 633/374/705. We'll have to see how the meet goes. My body is ready...

Pale Rider
08-28-15, 12:10 am
Nice work

Ethan Dew
08-28-15, 1:11 pm
Nice work

Thank you Kade! Good luck at BOB2 this weekend!

Altered Beast
08-28-15, 2:35 pm
Time to work on that Bench!

Ethan Dew
09-01-15, 3:56 pm
Well the meet was essentially a disaster for me. Ended up going 4 for 8 which is pretty abysmal. Didn't sleep well at all the night before the meet, but I normally never can. Warm ups were feeling alright. Opened with 567 on squat and it felt pretty heavy. Hit a kinda grindy second with 595, and then missed 611 which would've been an 11 lb PR. Ive hit 620 in the gym so that was pretty disappointing, but gym numbers don't really mean anything. It was super hot at the venue, and after squat I was cramping all over the place which made it hard to get a tight set up for bench without my hip or hamstring cramping. I smashed 341 for my opener and then ended up missing 358 twice. Just couldn't push through it. Then finally deadlift was feeling good. I smashed my opener of 639 into oblivion, super fast. Took 672 on my second and right at lockout, tore a callous wide open and couldn't hold on. 3 red lights. No way I could hold on to anything so I just opted out of my 3rd. Totaled 1575 which was 34 pounds worse than February. Disappointed is an understatement. Still somehow managed a 400 Wilks which is surprising. But I will learn a lot from this and be ready to step back on the platform in February.

Ethan Dew
09-01-15, 3:58 pm
Time to work on that Bench!

Yeah I know man. During this first offseason training block I'm gonna up my bench frequency and see if that will help me out any.

Altered Beast
09-02-15, 11:01 am
Yeah I know man. During this first offseason training block I'm gonna up my bench frequency and see if that will help me out any.

Sounds good! When my training partners and I started Benching twice a week, we all have hit massive PR's. I just hit a 50 Pound Meet PR two weekends ago!

It'll work for you too I'm sure.

Ethan Dew
11-27-15, 8:06 pm
Now that I'm back in prep for a meet, going to try to be more consistent keeping my logs on here. Well if you read a few entries up, my meet from August was a disaster, 4 for 8, 595/341/639. Hit no meet PR's at all. Really kinda beat myself up after that because I knew I was capable of so much more. But I learned a lot about how I approached the meet and what I did wrong. One thing that was pretty detrimental was that I peaked too early. I pulled 700 five weeks out from the meet and never got that heavy since... Definitely hindered my meet performance taking 1rm attempts that far out, but I now know not to do things like that. Now to what's going on now. I'm prepping for the USPA Strong Box Pro/Am on February 20th in Charleston WV. That's the last meet I did before the august meet, and I went 9 for 9, 601/352/655. Best performance of my life. I'll be heading back to that meet this coming winter to compete again. Elite for me is 1720 as a raw 308 junior, and I really think I'm right there on the brink. My numbers from the summer add up to 1690, and everything is getting stronger. Just recently hit rep pr's on squat of 540x4 and 560x3, so squat is going well. Hit 340x3 bench and I hit my rep pr with competition grip from last meet prep, just hit it with close grip so bench is moving too. And pulled 675 pretty smooth on a shitty bar at the school gym so everything is starting to come together. 12 weeks out. Excited to get back on the platform and also compete with Pete Rubish again. Will be a good time. Also I'm now a USPA State Referee so that's awesome to give back to the sport.

Ethan Dew
11-28-15, 7:35 pm
Hit my main deadlift session today. Pulled 615x3 today which is a rep PR. Kinda sloppy though, third rep was pretty ugly and lockout kinda soft. Will work on that. After that hit some beltless deficit work and bunch of rows and some hammer curls at the end to get a pump. Dynamic effort bench tomorrow and then on to another week of this meet cycle.

Pale Rider
11-30-15, 11:08 pm
Nice work

Ethan Dew
11-30-15, 11:25 pm
Hit some good training the last two days in the gym. Yesterday I hit 340 for a paused triple on the bench which is a 5 lb rep PR, and today I hit 565x3 on squat which is 10 lbs over my best triple from last meet cycle and moved much better. Weights are moving well right now, just under 12 weeks out from the meet. Will be happy when I finish finals for the semester and over winter break can just train my ass off and not have to worry about anything else.

Ethan Dew
11-30-15, 11:27 pm
Nice work

Thanks Kade!

Ethan Dew
12-02-15, 6:53 pm
Had a really good session today. Wednesdays I have a short window between school and work to go train so I have to get done what I can.
Bench 5x3, top set of 340x4 paused , PR
Block Pulls 5x3, top set of 640x3
Shrugs 5x6
Pec Deck 4x12
Lat Pulldowns 4x12

Got in some good work today. Having some knee pain in my IT band, might take a deload next week to get everything back in order. Elbows will probably appreciate that too

Ethan Dew
12-06-15, 9:19 am
Got in some good work over the past few days. Took a rest day on Thursday instead of hitting my accessory squat workout due to that persistent knee pain, so definitely gonna take a deload next week to give my body time to recover fully. Been pounding through heavy training non stop for a while now so that's probably what I need. Friday hit a bench PR of 315x5 close grip all paused. Bench has made some really good progress since I upped the frequency and attacked my weak points more. Yesterday worked up to a kinda slow but smooth 665 pull on the stiff bar followed by deficits and a bunch of rows. Hitting some dynamic effort bench today against the bands then starting my deload week tomorrow.

Ethan Dew
12-07-15, 8:26 pm
Had a pretty good session yesterday. Went like this
Banded bench 6x2, top set 330x2 plus ~ 30-40 pounds of band tension
Hammer Strength Military Press 5x6
Flat DB Fly 4x8
Rope Tricep Pushdown 4x12

Pretty low volume session but it's my third bench day of the week. Today started my lower body deload. Taking a light week on squats and deads due to some persisting knee pain in my IT band whenever I load that right quad, even just walking up stairs. Did some extra rolling on the PVC and used the voodoo bands on it. Once the joint got warm and I put my SBD's on it didn't really bother me. Did 7-8 triples of 315, lost count, which is right around 50%. Still gonna hit my regular bench work this week cause it's been going really well lately. Planning on 345x3 on Wednesday.

Ethan Dew
12-09-15, 4:16 pm
Definitely had the best bench session of my life today. Hit 345x3 on my top set of bench and then hit 375x1 for a 5 lb all time pr! Two Pr's in one day and both were pretty smooth. Excited to see how my bench progresses leading in to the meet.

Ethan Dew
12-12-15, 5:51 pm
Pretty good session yesterday. Hit 320x4 close grip which was a PR. Bench is progressing really well, and just hit some accessory work after that. Today top set was planned to be 620x3 for deads, got 2 and failed on the 3rd. Would've been a PR for a triple. Felt a pull in my pec on the last rep and could definitely feel it on the backdown pulls after. Hopefully doesn't affect my bench here in the next few days. Took this week light on squat due to a quad strain. Should be good to go next week, excited to squat heavy.

Ethan Dew
01-25-16, 9:11 pm
Been a while since I've been in here, but meet prep has been going well. A little less than 4 weeks out, so it's really starting the get wild and the weights getting heavy. Last week was the first week of my peak cycle, had a few singles of 560 squat, 335 bench, and 605 dead on those three days, each a little under what I'm planning to open with. Second week of a peak this week, ready to start my heavy sessions again tomorrow.

Ethan Dew
02-04-16, 8:13 pm
This week of training has been going really well. Hit 585 for 2 singles on squat on Wednesday, definitely the best that that much weight has ever moved. Today had 2 singles with 355 that moved really well, and that is actually three pounds over my meet PR. Got heavy deads tomorrow with 640. The guys and girls I've been programming for have been making really good progress too. Excited for the meet. 16 days out.

Ethan Dew
02-11-16, 10:25 pm
Training has been going well with this peak. Last heavy dead session, hit my 2 singles at 640 on the stiff bar and they moved really well. Also pulled up to 585, which will be my last warmup before my opener, and it was a smoke show. Today hit 605 for 1 single on squat which will be my second attempt. Got 365 for bench singles tomorrow and then 660 on Saturday for dead and then its deload time.