PDA

View Full Version : Mike O'hearn training

JFrost89
04-06-15, 10:43 pm
This is more or less the lay out, he refers to it as power bodybuilding. Chest
Flat or incline bb press 7 set 2 reps start at 135 and slowly work your way up until you get to a weight you can only do 1-2 reps then finish off with a db movement 4x10 and flies or pec-deck 4x15

Back
Deadlifts 7 sets of 2 same as chest then finish with db rows 4x10 and a pull down movement 4x10

Quads
Squats 7 sets of 2 same as previous then finish with 4x10 on leg press and leg extensions 4x20

Just interested in some experienced power lifters input for someone who wants to get stronger and/or possibly compete in powerlifting but is also trying to throw in some volume for overall muscle growth and keeping a balanced physique.

I'm a competitive bodybuilder but I'm interested in trying some powerlifting this off season to get stronger and bring up my legs, chest, and back.

ironbound
04-07-15, 7:57 am
In my humble opinion, you would be MUCH better served doing a program like 5/3/1 and incorporating bodybuilding assistance work.

This O'Hearn program has no real plan. Just "7 sets of 2", whatever that means, for week after week after week. No variance. No plan for when you stall out (because we all do). No room for auto-regulation. It seems as if he slapped this "program" together in five minutes.

But hey, Mike O'Hearn is a lot more accomplished than I am....

JFrost89
04-08-15, 1:16 am
In my humble opinion, you would be MUCH better served doing a program like 5/3/1 and incorporating bodybuilding assistance work.

This O'Hearn program has no real plan. Just "7 sets of 2", whatever that means, for week after week after week. No variance. No plan for when you stall out (because we all do). No room for auto-regulation. It seems as if he slapped this "program" together in five minutes.

But hey, Mike O'Hearn is a lot more accomplished than I am....

I'm a bodybuilder so I switch my routine weekly and with this plan your suppose to try to progress each week and switch which workout you do as your first/main exercise.

rainman
04-08-15, 3:25 pm
I'd think you'd plateau if you were pushing to 1-2 reps on the big 3 every week. Ironbound's suggestion of a 5-3-1 style template would be a good call as you'd not only get more quality reps in by using it, but also following a relatively easy program. I'm not knocking the routine you described, but something that may work for Mike O'Hearn may not work for you, especially if you are used to a higher rep bodybuilding style of training.

ironbound
04-08-15, 4:06 pm
My intention was not to knock it either, and I apologize if I came off that way. My point is that a true strength program should provide you with some guidance as to intensity (what percentages of your 1RM you will be training with), and some variance in both volume and Intensity from workout to workout. 7 sets of 2 at 60% and at 95% are very different things, and I can't picture training with the same sets and reps week after week being optimal for most trainees. That's why I recommended 5/3/1. It provides you with guidance as to volume and intensity, changes from week to week, and is highly customizable with lots of room for bodybuilding assistance. This O'Hearn program just seems really vague.

rainman
04-08-15, 5:10 pm
I don't think you came across that way. I just find that if X does something then it is usually optimized for their particular training style, recovery protocols and experience. A solid, proven program that has been used by countless lifters would be more benefit for most people, especially a relative novice to powerlifting.

G Diesel
04-08-15, 5:17 pm
I dig it. I like O'Hearn's approach.

The hybridized powerbuilding approach always made the most sense to me personally.

I think it is especially effective for drug-free athletes, as the incorporation of heavy weights on the basics forces your body to adapt in a way exclusive standard 8-12 rep bbing training does not. Combine em.

Peace, G

JFrost89
04-09-15, 12:34 am
My intention was not to knock it either, and I apologize if I came off that way. My point is that a true strength program should provide you with some guidance as to intensity (what percentages of your 1RM you will be training with), and some variance in both volume and Intensity from workout to workout. 7 sets of 2 at 60% and at 95% are very different things, and I can't picture training with the same sets and reps week after week being optimal for most trainees. That's why I recommended 5/3/1. It provides you with guidance as to volume and intensity, changes from week to week, and is highly customizable with lots of room for bodybuilding assistance. This O'Hearn program just seems really vague.

I didn't take any offenses to it bro. I'm open to suggestions and always willing to learn and try something new. The 7 sets progressing to a 1-2 rep max was just the first exercise the rest was volume. To get maximum blood flow to the areas trained. I'll look into the 5/3/1 program. Like I said I'm always looking for ways to improve my physique and I'd like to try some powerlifting this off season but there's not many power lifter around me to learn from so any more plans or help would be greatly appreciated.