PDA

View Full Version : Got Milk?

Cellardweller
04-09-15, 12:44 pm
I thought with there being so many different kinds of milk out there we should strike up a discussion about it. Milk is one of the best nutrition sources we have and it seems like they keep messing with it. I'll start a list

fat free
1%
2%
Whole milk
Vitamin D milk -which is just whole milk they've shined an ultraviolet light through. Get some sun people!
Lactose free milk -I get it
soy milk
almond milk
coconut milk
Really I think there's a milk for most of the nuts
heavy cream
Fairlife -Coca Cola milk?

What do you guys use and why? What do you think of Fairlife and the "sports milk" concept?

sgerwel1985
04-09-15, 1:03 pm
I thought with there being so many different kinds of milk out there we should strike up a discussion about it. Milk is one of the best nutrition sources we have and it seems like they keep messing with it. I'll start a list

fat free
1%
2%
Whole milk
Vitamin D milk -which is just whole milk they've shined an ultraviolet light through. Get some sun people!
Lactose free milk -I get it
soy milk
almond milk
coconut milk
Really I think there's a milk for most of the nuts
heavy cream
Fairlife -Coca Cola milk?

What do you guys use and why? What do you think of Fairlife and the "sports milk" concept?

I'm not as big of a milk drinker as i once was, but the only milk my wife has in the house is whole milk for our son. So when i do have a glass, it's usually that.

Ideally, i'd drink chocolate milk all day if it were a good ideal!

nicklepore
04-09-15, 1:06 pm
I'm a big fan of raw milk but its illegal in NJ. So when I can get, it I'll stock up with 2 or 3 gallons. Tastes damn good.

P Diesel
04-09-15, 1:42 pm
I'm a big fan of raw milk but its illegal in NJ. So when I can get, it I'll stock up with 2 or 3 gallons. Tastes damn good.

u can get it out my way in PA

P

Cellardweller
04-09-15, 3:49 pm
What do you guys see as the benefit of raw vs whole milk? Not afraid to get something from the non pasteurized milk?

Strength Cleveland
04-10-15, 3:30 pm
When I'm bulking I drink skim just because of the sheer amount I drink.

G Diesel
04-13-15, 9:19 am
I pretty much drink milk every day with my morning shake. When I'm training for strength, I drink whole. Otherwise I drink 1%. I do however think milk closest to its natural form is likely the best and most complete so the extra calories from fat might be worth it in whole (think of the nutritional value of a whole egg vs egg whites). And I try to drink organic when I can swing it.

Raw milk is by far the best, when you can get it. The reason vitamin A & D are added to regular milk is because the pasteurization process (necessary because cows are fed poorly, mistreated and sick all the time) heats milk to the point that it destroys most of the mirconutrients native to milk. Kills the enzymes, and denatures the vitamins and minerals. Gotta wonder what it does to the protein.

I like the Fairlife concept. The cows apparently are treated well. Their filtration process removes the lactose, lowers the sugars and raises the protein. I've bought it several times.

Peace, G

spartan300
04-13-15, 10:18 am
Several studies have linked whole milk to increased incidents of prostate cancer.

skibasgym
04-18-15, 8:10 pm
Almond milk

Jay Nera
04-28-15, 12:59 am
I don't like milk. I noticed huge changes in my well being when I stopped drinking milk. In canada they do not sell raw milk. I would be willing to give raw milk a try because of he bioavailability of the nutrients. Pasturized milk is refortified and enriched with nutrients which are not in their original forms…so the body's ability to recognize and digest theses is not clear. Pasturization has more become a way for farmers to move more milk faster…by pumping out dirty milk and using the pasteurization process to clean it…..anyway, i won't go on too much. Those are some of my thoughts, but one should do his own research. Weston A Price has some articles on milk which i found valuable and his position is unbiased.

Pale Rider
04-28-15, 2:26 pm
When it on sale for a dollar and chocolate

G Diesel
04-28-15, 2:51 pm
When it on sale for a dollar and chocolate

Kade is quickly becoming my favorite forum member.

Peace, G

GunRock
04-28-15, 3:50 pm
I don't like milk. I noticed huge changes in my well being when I stopped drinking milk. In canada they do not sell raw milk. I would be willing to give raw milk a try because of he bioavailability of the nutrients. Pasturized milk is refortified and enriched with nutrients which are not in their original forms…so the body's ability to recognize and digest theses is not clear. Pasturization has more become a way for farmers to move more milk faster…by pumping out dirty milk and using the pasteurization process to clean it…..anyway, i won't go on too much. Those are some of my thoughts, but one should do his own research. Weston A Price has some articles on milk which i found valuable and his position is unbiased.

The Barbell Shrugged guys did a pretty thorough podcast about raw milk a while back. Really eye opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZsWFJQeveE

ArmAndHammer
05-06-15, 10:47 pm
Sheep's milk > goat milk > cow's milk. I'm super excited that I just found a source for local fresh goat milk...at least through the summer. If I can get my damn house sold and get in one with a little more land, I plan to get a small herd of milking sheep or goats.

skibasgym
05-11-15, 8:29 pm
I've been using some chocolate almond milk in my shakes when I need a little something extra.