PDA

View Full Version : Buckfever's Journey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Buckfever
04-14-15, 7:00 pm
Jacked up in a car accident 2 years ago. Rear ended by a truck, distracted by his cell phone, I was stopped at a light he came in full bore. Saw him coming - braced, elbows, shoulders, thoracic spine damage. Not debilitating but couldn't lift or handle any load for a year and a half. Chiropractor worked out the adhesions on the spine got good thoracic mobility. Used to lift when I was younger, back to the gym 4 months ago, to rehab, mostly upper body GVT moving up slow but steady. Legs just a 45lb vest first on the elliptical at a 40% incline for 45 minutes, then outdoors to a Sledding hill and realized I needed more. Started following a meal plan, fighting to keep weight under 200, get enough protein and not deplete.

Upper body keeps moving up pulldowns with 200lbs 10 sets 4-6 reps. Remembered the powerlifting days. Started internet searches, research, read articles by Dan Boss Green.

I'm 54 what the F am I doing?

Bought squat shoes, adipowers, still had my belt.

Found this site.

Started squating.

95X10X10

Found the groove right away, quads sore as hell.

It'll take a year.

I love squatting. Let's see what happens.

Buckfever
04-15-15, 4:38 pm
Today was chest and back.

Dumbbell Bench Press Neutral Grip

40X10
60X10
80X10X2,9,6X2,5X4,4 (65reps for 10 working sets new PR for me)

Close Grip Pulldowns

160X10
180X10
200X6,5X2,4X6
160X12

Using the neutral grip on the dumbell bench and doing more of a fly motion to emphasize the chest. Dumbells only go to 100 at this gym and I'm just pushing out having to switch to the barbell bench and needing a spot. Hands are busted up but getting better. Gave my wedding ring to my wife to store it, it was cutting through the callous. That feels a lot better.

199.6 this morning, want to stay under 200, restricting the calories a little on the off days. Modulating the carbs around the workouts for energy. Hell of a time getting enough protein. I'm really not that hungry been forcing myself to overeat to get enough protein. My wife is getting me Whey protein powder from work I'll try adding that in the morning.

Ed Eliason
04-15-15, 7:44 pm
You're making a positive change in your life. It doesn't matter how old or young a person is as long as they give it their all.

Give it your all.

Buckfever
04-15-15, 8:09 pm
You're making a positive change in your life. It doesn't matter how old or young a person is as long as they give it their all.

Give it your all.

Thank you!!! I will.

Buckfever
04-17-15, 12:21 pm
Second Squat session

95X10

115X10X10

Deep in the hole, focused on leg drive. Might as well work on volume since the weights are tiny.

Yes I know tiny weights, it is what it is. I'm really not worried about muscular strength, focused on technique and conditioning the structure.

Buckfever
04-21-15, 6:07 pm
Last appointment cancelled so I got out early and while I wasn't programmed for a workout, I felt I should take advantage of it. Headed home inhaled a protein coffee shake and a banana and headed to the gym. Felt like schit, real stiff, but by the second working set I felt great. WTF?

Dumbbell bench(neutral position)

80X10,10,10,9,8,7,6,6,5,4 Rep PR

Wide grip pulldown

160X10

180X8,5,6,6,5,5,4,4,4

Just some additional notes, the Dumbell Bench has been an absolute blessing in that it calls into play all the accessory muscles involved and has been fantastic in terms of rehabbing the shoulder joints. The other thing is the neutral hold has really helped with flexibility issues because the wide range of motion and has really helped me work through the scar tissue. Every workout it feels like the entire shoulder complex involved in supporting that motion is being strengthened.

Also I noticed that the supporting muscles around the thoracic spine feel a little weak. I've been focusing on a variety of pulldowns but I need to add rows into the mix.

Buckfever
04-24-15, 2:21 pm
I got a workout in with my cousin last week which took me out of sequence so I hadn't done shoulder/arms/abs for almost 2 weeks. I have to say that I regret that first workout back on a body part, but it was fine.

Seated DB overhead press

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10 rep PR
60X1 Just tested, wasn't ready for the weight, the spine didn't like it.
50X6
40X19,14,9

DB Shrugs
60X10
80X8,8,6,6,6,6,6,5

Lateral raises
Lots of them, light weight, strict form, sides and front.

Preacher curls
New movement for me light weight lots of sets

Tricep pressdown

60X10
70X10
85X10,10,10,8,8,7,7
70X10,8,7

Didn't lose anything on the shoulders, but I have to say that I definitely lost quite a bit on the arms in 2 weeks, even though my bench and my pulldowns are getting stronger. I know what they say that you work your arms on your chest and back days, but I could tell that my arms had gotten smaller, I even told my wife that I noticed it. And while my primary long term focus is working towards strength on the main lifts, I don't want weak points and I do want a little of the bodybuilding stuff. So some lateral raises for the delts, some curls and tris for the arms, some calve raises and ab work. A little bit of accessory work to round it out.

Weighted sit ups on a Decline bench on a 1 foot riser 25 lb plate on chest.

Buckfever
04-24-15, 2:33 pm
And in other news,

My son had some weights in the basement just 100lbs so I set up for conventional deadlift deficits just to feel the form, it's been a long time. It's another one of those it's like riding a bike. But it got me thinking about my weight set that I had given to my brother in law when I moved and I remembered that he had stored it at my other brother in laws home when he entered the service. I had just talked to him when he was in town during Easter and he was lifting at home in Maryland so I figured he took the weights but I figured lets just ask. Turns out he bought his own set, so my weights and my Texas power bar are still in storage waiting for me to pick them up. ;-)

Jeppeehh
04-24-15, 2:50 pm
Subbed! It will be fun to follow your journey.

Buckfever
04-25-15, 12:19 pm
Third Squat session, pressed for time but I wanted to work out with my son who is in town. I NEEDED MORE VOLUME!!!

Squat

95X10

135X10X5sets

135X12

Widened the stance just a little which was better balance for me to go deep and focused on dropping straight down into the bottom of the hole and driving up strong nice and tight. Personally I think the weighted ab work is essential for the squat to help keep it tight. The other thing that used to help me was T-bar rows, from the erectors, rhomboids to the traps all the way up the spine that movement really helped to keep me tight in the Squat. There's no opportunity to do that movement at my gym, I need to set that up at home.

Added Calve presses

5X20 just starting bottom of the stack very light weight just to get them stretched out. It's not a lot of work and the calves develop quick.

Buckfever
04-29-15, 5:49 pm
Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one.

This past Saturday was my niece's wedding which I wouldn't have missed for the world and my son was in town so I adjusted my schedule so that I could get a couple of workouts in with him. Which we did. All well and good, but that meant my programming on the bench got pushed to Sunday. But when I got to the Gym on Sunday I was so blown out that after 2 sets I reracked the dumbbells and got out of there. Why? Because I was too much of a pussy to just lower the weight and grind out a light day. Which is kind of funny when you think about it because my heavy days are light days. Couple good things though. I definitely got some good recovery because I had a lot of power with the warmups. And I found out that 8 days is too much recovery, I definitely lost some strength.

DB Bench
80X10,10,10,8,7,6,5,4,4,4

68 total reps for 10 sets that's 7 reps less than last time, ouch. And there were some grinders in there LOL. At least I got it in and I'm back on.

Close Grip pulldown

160X10X5sets

Widegrip pulldown
3 sets

Seated Cable Rows
2 sets

In the morning I did conditioning work on the sledding hill, 18 times up the hill with the 40lb vest. Been doing this twice a week but I want to drop it to once a week and get more time in on the Squat.

Hopefully pick up my weights tomorrow, setup for t-bar rows and deads in the basement.

Ed Eliason
04-29-15, 6:11 pm
Don't be to hard on yourself. Shit happens. Everything we do teaches us a lesson. Looking forward to deads tomorrow.

Buckfever
04-30-15, 8:42 pm
Picked up my weights. Consisting of a 1500lb power bar, plate rack, weights(2X45,2X35,2X25 and 2X5) and the close grip handle that I use for the T-bar rows. A little oxidation but none the worse for wear, sadly they were never used. Of course my wife threw out the milk crate I used for an anchor for the T-bar rows and I need to setup the flooring, so I need to buy a sheet of 3/4" 4X8 plywood and a 3/4"X4'X6' rubber stall mat. I need more 45s and a couple of dimes but I'll figure that out later.

One step at a time. I'm not going to lie, setting this up is a lot of fun.

Buckfever
04-30-15, 9:35 pm
Well moving right along got the plywood and the milk crate from Home Depot. Ordered 2" spring clips. Off tomorrow so after the morning workout off I go to pick up a stall mat.

Buckfever
05-01-15, 2:55 pm
Volume day, want to get the size back on the arms

DB seated OP
20X10

30X10

40X20repsX2sets, 12, 10repsX3sets, 9, 8repsX3sets

Supersets with:

DB shrugs

60X20repsX2sets

70X10

60X15,20,17,15,10,10,12repsX3sets

2 minute rest between supersets

Barbell curls

40X10

50X10

60X10,10,9,8repsX3sets,6repsX4sets

Supersetted with

Triceps pressdown

50X10

60X10

70X10,9,8,9,8repsX2sets, 7repsX2sets, 6repsX2 sets

Rest on the arms was 1 minute, I lowered the weight and focused on form I think I was breaking form before.

Good pump but they didn't quite look deformed yet so I have some work there.

Weighted Abs with a 25lb plate on an incline

3sets 12,10,8

I did make it over to the Tractor Supply and picked up a stall mat. Last night I cleaned out a section of the basement. I should be setup this afternoon, I'll post up a picture later.

Bean
05-01-15, 3:01 pm
Good shit....love the excitement that I feel when I read this. Keep it up

Buckfever
05-01-15, 4:07 pm
Setup for deads and T-bar rows at home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/IMG_1514_zpsnpzu4qit.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/IMG_1514_zpsnpzu4qit.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/IMG_1515_zps8hrsv68m.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/IMG_1515_zps8hrsv68m.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/IMG_1516_zpsrfqkrpdb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/IMG_1516_zpsrfqkrpdb.jpg.html)

The gym that I have a membership at really isn't setup for either movement. There is a Powerlifting gym 45 minutes away and I'll hit that every once in a while for the heavier stuff and to steal some energy, but this will let me get some efficient work on these movements.

Buckfever
05-03-15, 1:21 pm
Squats 4th session

95X10

135X10

155X7repsX5sets

95X25

Given how light the weights are I should be doing sets of 10, but my conditioning just isn't there and the last thing I want to do is get sloppy and break form. So I decided that I'll go back to how I used to do it of working up to 4-5 working sets and then drop down for a high rep set.

Calve press

10 sets 20-12reps

So I'm almost 5 months in now although I just put in the Squats so the legs are lagging and I started from point zero on the upper body. Last 3 months I've been developing a meal plan getting the protein up to 1gram/lb and have dropped 4-5lbs. I think I'm as clean as I can be on the food without impeded progress, which is my primary goal. And while I have leaned up a good bit I have to say I really don't like being this soft. I baffles me how I managed to Fn ignore it. And it'll work out on it's own as I go forward but this is really bothering me. I think I'll add a couple miles of walking a day to speed it up.

Buckfever
05-04-15, 5:14 pm
Chest and Back

DB bench Superset with CG Pulldowns

DB Bench

60X10

80X11,9 I stopped at 9 reps on the second set because I was just grinding these out. So either I've lost a bit OR I've been grinding them out all along. In either event I felt I needed to drop the weight and really start working the movement right.

60X14,10,10,10,9,8,8,8

CG Pulldown

160X10,10,10,10,8,8,7,7,6,8,6

Interestingly I had already come to the same conclusion on the pulldowns and had dropped down for volume on the previous workout.

Been too much grinding not enough working. This felt good.

Buckfever
05-05-15, 7:13 pm
Shoulders/arms/abs

DB Overhead Press - DB shrugs 2 minute rest between supersets

DB Overhead Press

20x10

30x10

40x10

50x10

60x4 PR

40X19,12,12,9,9

DB Shrugs

60X20

70X17,12,12,8

60X15,15,15,15

Barbell Curls - Tricep pressdown 1 minute rest between supersets

Curls

60X10,10,10,10,10,8,7,7,7,6

Tri Pressdown

70X10,10,10,10,10,10,10,8,8,6

Weighted Abs, Incline, 25LB plate

16/9/5

Notes:

The Squats are actuallly helping me with the the Overhead press, as the erectors are being developed, it's helping me keep the core tight on that movement.

Was off work early didn't feel great, went home had lunch, hit the gym anyway and had a great workout.

Just go!!!

Ed Eliason
05-05-15, 7:26 pm
You never know how a sessions going to go until you get it in. Some of my best workouts have been on days I felt like crap.

Buckfever
05-06-15, 12:42 pm
Squat 5th session

95X10

135X10

185X6X6

115X25

Calves

Life fitness Calve extension

70 X20repsX9sets, 17

Notes:
Wasn't scheduled to Squat till Friday so not fully recovered, but given the break in work yesterday and that I'm out of town this weekend I decided to push it. The conditioning continues to lag the strength increases. I need more volume but the conditioning isn't there.

I had decent calves back in the day but I ran a bunch of marathons in my 40s and they disappeared. Also they really need to be stretched out, hammies are tight too, this machine seems to really force the stretch. I'm going to give them some designated attention.

Weight is 197.4 this morning, it's drifting down slowly and I'm not going to stop it. I'm eating clean getting over 200g of protein a day, getting plenty of nutrition and for me at this point I'm just restimulating old growth so I don't really need to overeat and I don't like this being soft.
As long as I'm progressing I'll let things tighten up.

Buckfever
05-10-15, 6:00 pm
Brought my son home from Med school for the summer and we christened the dead setup in the basement. It's probably 20 years since I've deadlifted.

Deads:

135X10repsX10sets

T-bar rows

1 plate X10

2 plates X15

2 plates +25 X15

2 plates +50 X7

2 plates +25 X12,12,12

Got to start somewhere.

My son is home for 3 months, really the last summer, I'm going to work out with him every chance I get.

Buckfever
05-12-15, 7:18 pm
Just a couple quick comments. I am so glad that I only started with 135 on the Deads. Yesterday I felt like I was hit by a train. No wonder no one does Deads. Feel great today.
Secondly, the T-Bar rows do hit right in that area that I needed rhomboids, lower traps and thoracic spine. If that area need attention, I'd highly recommend that movement.

Buckfever
05-13-15, 11:31 pm
This morning was conditioning, 18 times up the sledding hill with the 40lb vest. Been 2 weeks, lost a little wind but the squats made my legs stronger so that made up for it and still got 18. 20 is the goal.

Since I missed some workouts getting my son back home, I decided to deload the upper body which I haven't done in 5 months, so this afternoon I worked on the flat bench setup. Throughout years prior to the accident I've benched with dumbbells but I need to put the flat bench back in. It's literally been over 10 years best I can figure. Getting into the setup seemed pretty good and finding the groove seemed good too. I focused on paused benches 5 sets of ten and then a burnout set of paused benches. Tiny weights. The only thing I'm not sure about is the grip width. Ring finger on the ring felt good maybe a hair narrow, I tried a finger wider at the end but by then I was too much into it to tell for feel. I'll tweak that next time

And then paused Close grip bench, thumb just on the smooth. What a great movement.

And I still like the dumbbell bench with the neutral grip for the stretch which really puts the emphasis on the chest and the good news on that is that our gym is getting new dumbbells from 5 to 110lbs, so finally 5 lb increments AND dumbbells that don't stick to your clothes.

So those three movements, but I'm not sure how I'm going to program the movements.

Then I went to Overhead press to check that for programming a push day and it just doesn't work for me. I need a separate day for Overhead press, when I'm fresh.

I definitely prefer the 4 day split 1.Chest/Pulldowns - 2.Deads/T-bar rows - 3.Shoulders/arms/abs - 4.Squats/calves. And the conditioning work on the hill.

Will start the push back up on the upper body on Sunday, that will be a solid 10 days of deload. I don't really know what the consensus is today for deloading, but 10 days for soft tissue healing seemed to work and I needed it. Here at 7-8 days things are just starting to calm down. Interesting thing about deloading it actually got worse before it got better.

Buckfever
05-15-15, 3:29 pm
Squat(6th session)

95X10

135X10

185X10,10,7,6,5,4,4,4

135X20

Calve press

110X 12,15,14,14,14,12

Notes:

Conditioning on the Squat is getting better but still sucks. I need to go heavier.

I need to be patient, I don't want to. :-)

Buckfever
05-17-15, 4:17 pm
Woke up today dreading the morning conditioning work. Wasn't recovered from the friday Squat workout and dreaded hitting that hill. Thank God for training partners who make you keep your commitments.

40lb vest 20 flights up the sledding hill and this hill is no joke:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/DSC01598.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/DSC01598.jpg.html)

Embarrassment:

I think the way that you deal with embarrassment is to (eventually) face it head on. So full disclosure, it is true that the other day I was deloading and it was true that I was working on the Bench press form on paused benches. It's also true that I hadn't done flat barbell bench in over 12 years. I started with the bar and worked up to 135 and could only get 7 paused reps. I was too embarrassed to disclose it.

So with that out of the way afternoon was Bench and Pulldowns great workout, WE HAD A BLAST.

Bench supersets with pulldowns

Bench (Paused)

65X10
95X10
115X10
135X10
155X10
185X4repsX4sets
135X10

Pulldowns

100X10
120X10repsX10sets

I hadn't done Pulldowns since the 4th and the first set caused severe pain in the areas that I was experiencing tendonitis prior to the deload. So I decided to stay light at 120 and slowly rebuild, by the second working set the pain was completely gone.

DB Bench
60X12,8,8,7

CG Pulldowns

120X10,12,12,9

Notes:
I wasn't sure how to program the close grip bench and the dumbbell bench. So I decided to do the close grip bench with the triceps on the Overhead Press day. My thinking is I can't get a second Bench day in so this will at least get me under the bar twice a week. The Dumbbell bench feels like a perfect finishing exercise but we'll see because I like the Close grip bench after regular benching as well.

I had the forearm position checked in the paused position with the ring finger on the ring and it was reported as vertical. Feels a little narrow to me but the shoulders like it so I'll give it some time.

It was a great great session!!! We literally left the gym smiling.

Buckfever
05-17-15, 6:46 pm
Found a Buddy Caps Texas Power bar for a good price so I ordered it. I was pretty sure that I had a Texas Power Bar but when I picked up my weights I noticed that the sleeve was bolted. It's probably a bench bar with a 600lb test but the idea of dropping Deads with it, well I want a quality bar. I don't know that the Texas power bar is the best today, but it's a bar I have tremendous confidence in so it was a no brainer for me.

Buckfever
05-19-15, 2:17 pm
Found plate weight for a good price so ordered a couple 45s. For someone moving tiny weights presently I sure am acting ambitious.

Buckfever
05-20-15, 1:54 pm
DB overhead press standing

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10
60X5,3,1
40X20,14,10

Bentover Lateral raises

4-5 drop sets

Lateral raises

4-5 drop sets

Preacher curl - Free weights

Excruciating pain - stopped the movement.

Preacher curl machine

5setsX10reps

Superset with

Tri pressdown with rope

50X 5setsX10reps

Barbell Curls

50 X sets of 10reps

superset with

Close grip bench(paused)

65X10

95X10

115X10

135X 10,10,8,7

Incline Abs with 25lb weight

14/9/8

Notes:

I had been trying to figure out why I developed problems in the elbow region and the free weight preacher curl was the cause. I had added this movement a few weeks ago but hadn't done it since. Once I felt the strain, I dropped the weight just put fives on the bar to evaluate the movement and what it is is that this bench puts me in a position that causes slight hyper extension of the elbows. So that movement is gone but I did move over to the machine preacher curl and that is very friendly to the elbows so I might keep that instead although I prefer free weight so we'll see. On the barbell curls I kept the weight at 50lbs because I wanted to baby the elbows as I was still feeling a little strain, just being careful. I like that I added the close grip bench to the tricep day, but I think I'd rather do it before the pressdowns because they killed my lockout. Not sure I need the bent over lat raises when I'm doing the T-bar rows. I need to tidy things up be a little more economical, get this programming down so I can start grinding it out. I'm close though.

Weight this morning was 195.4. Since I shifted the programming focus to putting in the main movements, during this transition where I'm ramping up and really not yet able to grind it out, I pulled back the intake a little. As I mentioned before for some reason now that I'm in much better shape than when I started 5.5 month ago, NOW the fact that I'm a bit soft bothers me, so I'm taking advantage of this window to lean up a little.

Really really enjoying working out with my son.

Buckfever
05-20-15, 7:19 pm
Afternoon Deads.

135X10

155X10

185X10repsX6sets

135X10

T-bar

1plate X10

1plate+25X10

2platesX10

2plates+25X10reps *3sets

Notes:
A little gassed on the deads and the fatigue carried over to the T-bar with the hardest part being keeping tight when holding the position. Need to be patient on the structural conditioning. Slow and steady wins the race.

moparguy55
05-22-15, 12:05 pm
Lots of volume nice.

Buckfever
05-22-15, 1:40 pm
Bench Paused:

95X10
135X10
185X8
195X4X4sets
135X15

Superset with

Pulldowns

100X10
120X10
140X10
160X10X4sets

DB Bench

60X15,10,7,9

Superset with

CG pulldown

160X10,5,7,7

Notes: Elbow pain almost gone. On the bench the lockout is weak. It'll catch up. Got to be careful to not move up too fast and compromise the form. Grinding is ok, cheating is not.

Buckfever
05-24-15, 6:22 pm
After lecturing my daughter on the importance of sleep as she heads into finals, I stayed up with her till 1:15 watching a movie and was really dragging for the morning conditioning session on the hill. I actually called it at 18 times up the hill but rested a bit at the top and was able to grind out 20 with the 40lb vest.

Afternoon session:

DB overhead press (standing)

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10
60X5,4,3 A very ugly rep PR
40X20 this felt too light now for volume
45X9,8

CG Bench (Paused)

95X10
115X10
135X10
155X8,8,5,5
95X12

Superset with

Barbell curl

50X10
60X10
70X10
80X10
90X4
100X3
60X15

Triceps pressdowns(rope) 5sets

Superset with

Alternate dumbell curls 5sets

Weighted incline Abs 25lb plate

16/10/4 last set to failure

Notes: I prefer 3 days of rest after the bench day to do the overhead press day, but I'm having trouble fitting things in.
A tendon on the inside of the elbows flared up, from the pulldowns on Friday, I think it's the close grip attachment I was using which is real narrow, I'll trouble shoot that at the next pulldown workout.
Hell of a time programming the conditioning work and the deads and squats. I haven't done squats in 9 days.
For myself I think it's bad form to call PRs until I plateau on a movement, personal choice.
I was going back and forth on this but I replaced the machine preacher curls with the alternate dumbell curls, as much as anything, getting the dumbells in position for the overhead press and the DB bench is a challenge and these will help. But wherever I can I prefer free weights. Haven't done them for a while, used to be my favorite, still love that movement.

Got to get on the Squat rack!!!

Buckfever
05-27-15, 5:04 pm
5/27

They dragged me out of bed this morning. Inhaled a coffee protein shake, took one for the road, downed a banana and off to the sledding hill.

40lb vest 20 flights just under 47 minutes, no problem this time.

Afternoon:

Bench (paused)

95X10
135X10
185X9
205X4,4,3,3
185X4,5,4,3

Dumbell Bench

60X18,12,8

All superset with:

Pulldowns:

100X10
120X10
140X10
160X8
180X4 drop set 160X2
160X8,6,6,6,5,8,6,6,6,4

Notes:
Didn't do the CG pulldown to see if that is the culprit on the tendonitis on the inside elbow. Not sure, might be the Bench.

Now the weight on the Bench is finally sufficient where breaking form impedes execution. So instead of a pump set I decided to drop the weight just a little and do 4 additional working sets keeping it in the groove. That I'm doing my top sets with 205 makes me want to bash my head against the wall. Wait did I say that out loud? Take that frustration and direct it towards progress.

Programming remains a problem in terms of getting the Squats and Deads in and keeping the conditioning work on the hill. I'm going to back off on the volume and see if I can do those in succession. Next couple days, we'll see.

Buckfever
05-29-15, 2:00 pm
5/29

Squat

95X8
135X6
185X4
225X4
245X2
225X4,4,3
185X8
135X10,10

Calve Press

95X20X5sets

Notes:
2 weeks since the last Squat session is way to long. Lowered the reps and went a little heavier just to feel the weight, just need to slowly creep up and get used to it.

Yesterday's weight was 193.4, so even though that is not a primary focus, leaning up is going well.

Buckfever
05-31-15, 4:58 pm
A.M. Conditioning work 40lb vest on the hill. Drove up the hill as fast as I could. Mr. Pukie was knocking on the door after the 10th run up so I shut it down.

P.M.

Paused Bench:

138X8
185X6
205X4
225X1,2,1
185X7,6,5
135X12

Dumbbell Bench:
60X13,8,10

Superset with:

Pulldowns:
100X10
120X10
140X10
160X8,8,6,6

C.G. Pulldowns:

120X10
140X10
160X6,6,10

Notes:
Feeling weak today, I think the weight loss is starting to take it's toll, it's either not enough food, or not enough rest. But I know to just grind it out now. I decided to at least test 225 on the Bench so that was good.

I've decided not to make adjustments to the diet. For this immediate phase of the journey I've decided that the focus will be to get strong AND lean. I have no interest in getting ripped, but until I can clearly see the abs, I'm going to let the fat keep stripping off.

STRONG AND LEAN!!!

Buckfever
06-02-15, 8:40 pm
6/2

Deads:

135X8
185X6
225X4
275X3,3,3
225X10,6
185X10,6
135X25

T-bar:
1plateX20
1plate+25X20
2platesX20
2plates+25X10,10,10
2platesX17

Notes:
13 days since the last deadlift session, very hard to find the groove with this little frequency. Did touch and go high reps with 135 just to find the groove. Started feeling good midway on that last set.

Buckfever
06-03-15, 6:04 pm
6/3
A.M.
Conditioning work on the Sledding hill 40lb vest 13 times.

P.M.

DB Overhead Press (Standing)

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10
60X7,5,5 Ugly PR
45X14,10,10

CG Bench Paused
95X10
135X10
185X3X5sets
135X13

Superset with:

Barbell curls
60X10X8sets

Tricep Pressdown Vbar

60X10,15,12,10

Superset with:

Alt Dumbell Curl:

30X10,8,8,6

Incline weighted abs with 25lb plate

Notes:
Fatigue from yeasterdays Deads and the T-bar rows made stability on the DB overhead press tough. 10 days since the last arm day and my arms continue to suffer for it. However, today completes the first week in which I got all the programming in. To do that I had to back off on the volume of the conditioning work but we're already building that back up. I feel like we're turning the corner here. Now to start pecking away at the work capacity on the top sets. Meal plan is still tight, got to get the fat off, maybe 6-7lbs more, still got a little time, but at some point we got to start feeding the muscles for progress.

Cellardweller
06-05-15, 1:15 pm
I'm loving this Journey. I went through all the same things trying to figure things out again when I came back to the weights. I did all this in my basement (hence Cellardweller) before I started my own journey though. This was when I was just lurking here. Mark my words, in 6 months you will be a different man. You will have figured out your lifts and your body and will be making great gains in strength and size. Train as much with your kids as you can and stay up watching movies with them too LOL. It's all good for you.

Buckfever
06-05-15, 2:42 pm
6/5

Squat
135X10
185X10,10,10,7,6
135X18

Calve Press
100X20,20,20,15,16,18

Notes:
Light on sleep, tight from the deads. Good technical form, kept my legs under me, really worked the quads. Wish I was moving up faster.

Buckfever
06-06-15, 11:24 am
I'm loving this Journey. I went through all the same things trying to figure things out again when I came back to the weights. I did all this in my basement (hence Cellardweller) before I started my own journey though. This was when I was just lurking here. Mark my words, in 6 months you will be a different man. You will have figured out your lifts and your body and will be making great gains in strength and size. Train as much with your kids as you can and stay up watching movies with them too LOL. It's all good for you.

Thank you for the reply. My Buddy Capps Texas power bar arrived so all is right with the world in regards to my basement dead setup. I appreciate the perspective and you're right about the time frame. The fact is that my muscles still respond rapidly in terms of size to volume. For me size is easy. Different deal on the strength gains the structural adaptation takes time. You need that resolve. It's not something I don't know, I've said it'll take year, but when you're in it those small advances can be frustrating. Thanks for the reminder.

Buckfever
06-07-15, 3:02 pm
6/7

Bench

Paused:

95X10
135X10
185X8,5,5,5

Touch and Go:

185X5,4,4,4

Paused:

135X10

DB bench(neutral grip):

60X10,7,4

All superset with:

CG pulldown
160X8,8,7,6,6,6,6,5

WG pulldown
120X10
140X10
160X6,6,5,4

Notes: In case anyone is wondering 4.5 hours of sleep is not enough. A little edgy, pissed. Lighter but good controlled form on the pulldowns.

Buckfever
06-09-15, 7:14 pm
6/9

Deads:

135X10
185X10
215X5
225X5
255X3
275X3
295X3
185X17

Notes: Love the Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar. Backing off on volume I think I'm over training.

Buckfever
06-10-15, 4:49 pm
6/10

A.M.

Conditioning on the hill with the 40lb vest. It was very hot, got 12, took the vest off and got 3 more.

P.M.

DB overhead press standing

20X10
30X10
40X10
60X7,7,5 These continue to be ugly.
45X13

CG bench paused:

95X10
135X10
185X4
195X3,3,3,3

Superset with

Curls
60X10
70X10
80X10
90X5
100X3
80X10
70X10

Alt Dumbell curls
up to 35lbs

Superset with

Reverse tri pressdown
up to 35lbs

Lots of sets no rest on these.

Weighted abs using decline press on a 1 foot riser with a 25lb plate.

Notes:
Felt 10lbs stronger on the CG bench, however it's really straining the forearms at the elbow, going to move the grip out just a little. After hitting 193.4lbs on the scale the weight rebounded and now I'm back down to 193.4, so i'm going to be real tight on the discipline to knock the weight down another notch. I just want to get down to 187, so I want to finish this, This leaning up isn't my thing but I have been documenting the weight and I peaked at 202.2 on 3/25. The interesting thing is that the weight loss follows this pattern of I drop a bunch of weight then I bounce back a bit and then I get stuck there for 10 days or so and again same thing big drop, small bounce back and then it gets stuck there. Very interesting to see on a graph. I just mention it because if people experience this they might get frustrated, I suspect that's just how the body does it. Trust the meal plan it'll be fine.

I have to have a wisdom tooth pulled next week. I scheduled it for next wed. I didn't want it to affect the main lifts.

Buckfever
06-12-15, 12:53 pm
6/12

Squat
95X10
135X10
185X10
225X4repsX4sets
185X7,5,5,5

Calve Press on Leg press machine
90,110,130,150,170,190,230,230X12reps

Notes:
Squats are feeling better, it's just such a long way to go. Slowly trusting myself to sit back and focus on the leg drive, the quads are coming along but they're just so far behind the hip strength. Keep checking the ego at the door.
Calve machine was broken so I did calve press on the leg press. I liked it better, just didn't know what weight to use. Will figure it better next time.

Cellardweller
06-12-15, 1:13 pm
Felt 10lbs stronger on the CG bench, however it's really straining the forearms at the elbow, going to move the grip out just a little.
Yes. Play it safe and don't be in a huge hurry to hit heavy weights. I took it too far too fast on skullcrushers when I came back and injured my left elbow. Now I can't do them at all without having pain for a week. Baby steps are steps foreward. After your body is used to the abuse again, then go for it.

I have to have a wisdom tooth pulled next week. I scheduled it for next wed. I didn't want it to affect the main lifts.

LOL Spoken like a true Animal.

Buckfever
06-14-15, 2:11 pm
6/14

Bench

95X10
135X10
185X8,7,6,5,5,5,5,6

Pulldowns

Various types to warm up sets of ten based on availability

CG Pulldown
160 5sets X 5reps

Dumbell Bench (Neutral Grip)

60X17,8,10

Notes:
Got to work back up on the pulldowns. Bench is starting to feel good.

Buckfever
06-16-15, 7:44 pm
6/16

Deads:

135X10
185X8
225X6
275X4
315X3,2
275X4
225X12
185X15

Notes: Picked up a couple more 45s. Unbridled enthusiasm.

Buckfever
06-18-15, 2:37 pm
Been doing the deads with running shoes and I find them to be extremely unstable, almost to the point of causing a bit of strain, by not being able to lock it in and push through. Been putting it off but decided to bite the bullet and ordered the Matflex 4. Yesterday's weight was 191.8, 4.8lbs to go. I almost don't feel fat anymore, so another 5 should be fine. Something to be said about fat loss versus weight loss. Honestly think to much cardio hurts tightening up by pushing you catabolic.

Gotta do a double tomorrow to make up yesterday's missed session.

Buckfever
06-19-15, 1:18 pm
6/19 A.M.

Squat

95X10
135X10
185X10
225X5,5,5,5,7
185X8(paused)

Calve press on leg press machine

190X12
210X12
230X12
250X11
270X8
290X7
310X6

Superset with:

Bodyweight paused Squats sets of 10 to practice sitting in the hole.

Notes:
The last 2 working sets on the Squat were the easiest and on the last working set I did 7 to prove it to myself. I'm obviously having a mental issue here with the Squat. Because its so early I'm progressing despite it, but at some point I have to get my head in it. I'll keep working at it.

Buckfever
06-19-15, 5:17 pm
6/19 p.m.

Bench
135X10
185X10
205X4,4,3,3,2,2
135X9

Superset with:

WG Pulldowns front

120X10

140X10,10,8,6repsX7sets

DB Bench

60X13,6,5

Notes:

The setup on the bench just doesn't feel right to me, so on the 4th working set I brought the grip out one finger and it felt like I found the groove right away and almost got an extra rep. I'm going to work on that. First time I got 185 for 10 on the way up but then I was a little fatigued for the working sets. By the time I got done with the pump set I had a huge chest pump going. Felt good. I tested the CG pulldowns and that strains the inner elbow area so I'll stick with the WG front pulldowns which seem to be more forgiving and work back up with those. I'm not sure if it was the CG pulldowns or the straight barbell curls that caused the irritation but I'm dropping both. There's lots of other variations.
Back on track with the double today.

Buckfever
06-21-15, 6:56 pm
6/21

DB standing Overhead Press

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10
60X7,5,4
45X13

CG Bench

135X10
185X4, 3repsX6sets,2

Superset with

Alt Dumbell curls

25X10
30X10
35X10
40X5
45X4
50X2
40X10,5

Triset:

Barbell curl
40X10
50X10
50X10

Tricep Pressdown
70X10,10,5

Weighted abs 35lbs decline bench on 1' riser

Notes:
Not recovered from the friday bench workout and I'm feeling the weight loss, a little more to go, got to grind through it. I tried bringing the grip out on the CG bench but it didn't feel right, so I went back to the thumb on the smooth. Increased the weight on the weighted abs. Been stuck at 17 reps with 25lbs forever.

Buckfever
06-23-15, 9:41 pm
6/23

Squat

135X10
185X10
225X10,10,10,10,7
185X12
135X20

Calve Press
230X12
250X12
270X10
290X10
310X8
330X8
350X6

Standing Calve raises on Hack squat
135X12
185X12
225X12

Notes:
It's official I'm a puzzy. I told myself that while I'm not yet ready for a mindset of controlled rage, at least if you can get 225 for 5 sets of 10 you're not a pussy. Going into the 5th working set I actually thought I had a shot at it. I told myself get the first five and then grind them out one at a time. Well I got the first three and then I had to go one at a time and the 7th rep I held the form but that was a serious grinder, a little light headed and I didn't want to risk dumping the 8th rep. Falling short really helped me focus repping out on the back off pump sets and while the conditioning leaves a lot to be desired, I really was happy with this session. It was a big jump in reps over the last session and the mindset was much improved. Gotta read some more Machine threads, get over this puzzy schit.

Cellardweller
06-24-15, 12:57 pm
You're looking good in here. Getting stronger. Don't let that last set get to you. You know what you have to do next time. Once you hit your target reps with 225, add 10lbs to the bar next week and do it again until you hit that, then add 10lbs to the bar ...

If you have microsoft works I have a big quote file I can email you if you want it for inspiration. Just PM me an email address and it's yours.

Buckfever
06-24-15, 4:25 pm
6/24

AM conditioning
40lb vest in the hill
16 times about 40 minutes.

Afternoon

Bench

135x10
185x10
225x2repsx8sets
185x8
135x18

Pulldowns
6sets

Dumbell bench
60x12
60x6 paused.

Notes: I like middle finger on the ring much better. I feel I can get much stronger on the bench it's just the sticking point. Gonna bake at 225.

Buckfever
06-26-15, 1:16 pm
6/26

Deads

135X10
185X10
225X10
275X5repsX4sets

Notes:
Erectors were still sore from the Squats so I shut it down. I think my form at the bottom of the movement is off, pulling too soon. Gonna work on that.

Buckfever
06-26-15, 5:03 pm
6/26

Afternoon:

Tbar rows:

1 plateX10
2 platesX10
2plates +25X10repsX10sets

2 minute rest

Notes:
As a result of me neglecting the upper back, the portion of the spine that was injured has been acting up in the last week. Since I cut the morning dead session a little short it was a good opportunity to put back the T-bar rows, which really target that area. Decided on GVT as I really want to build up the musculature in that area to support the spine. Got to get this in once a week. Man there's something about having weights at home. Crank the music, hammer a movement, 30-40 minutes, done!!!

Buckfever
06-28-15, 3:25 pm
6/28
AM conditioning

Sledding hill with the 40lb vest

18 times hot and humid good effort about 43 minutes.

Afternoon:

DB overhead press
30X10
40X10
50X10
60X3 drop 40X6
40X12,10,10

CG Bench

135X10 playing with the grip

back to thumb on the smooth

95X10
135X8,6,7,7,9

Alt dumbell curl
25X12
30X10
35X10
40X6

Superset

Tri pressdown v bar
60X12
70X8,6
60X11

Weighted Abs on decline bench with 1 foot riser 50lbs

Notes:

I was very weak for the lifting session, frustrated with getting the last bit of weight off so I've restricted the calories a bit more and I'm not modulating the carbs. I have a trip in September with my wife and I need this weight off, so as frustrating as this is I'm shifting my priority to leaning up for the short run till I get the last 5 lbs off.

There was a guy doing full beltless paused squats in the squat rack with 315, young thin guy, beautiful form. And the wannabes in the gym were criticizing him, for doing singles. As if. This is a gym where the squat rack is seldom used. So before leaving I went over and complemented him. He thanked me.

I think powerlifting is still very under appreciated.

Pale Rider
06-28-15, 7:35 pm
Training hard

Buckfever
06-30-15, 9:47 pm
6/30

Squats:

135X10
185X10
225X10
245X5
275X3setsX2reps

Paused:

245X3
225X5
185X6
135X10

Calve Raises on Hack:

1PPSx12
1+25PPSX12
2PPSX12
2+25PPSX10
3PPSX6

Notes:
Worked late got home had a protein shake, toast and jelly and headed off to the gym. Erectors still a little tight but mostly recovered. My conditioning on the Squat remains an issue even more so today after a long day of work, but it was a nice jump in weight to at least feel 275. I watched that guy do the paused reps on Sunday and I was inspired so I paused on all the back off sets. Although to tell the truth I'm strong in the bottom, it's the sticking point that's the issue, however, pausing in the bottom forces you into the right position to grind through. The trade off though is that I can't get as much volume. But I still believe ass to grass is what gets you there. I'll be happier when I get to 315, but I was very happy with the session.

BJ Whitehead
07-01-15, 12:15 am
Good stuff!!

Buckfever
07-01-15, 1:46 pm
7/1

Bench

135X10
185X10
225X3repsX3sets
225X2repsX3sets
185X9,5
185X5 drop 135X8

DB Bench

70X5,6
60X8

Pulldowns Various

100X12
120X12
140X8
140X10

Notes:
Bench keeps creeping up so that's good. On the backdown sets I went back to ring finger on the ring. Felt better because I start a little lower. It's a form issue transitionng to the flare. Chest was on fire. Vacation starts today so a deload week.

Buckfever
07-09-15, 8:37 am
7/09/2015

Back from vacation. Took my weight this morning 192.6 so not too much damage on the trip. Recorded the body fat measure from the impedance scale to get a relative value. Set up the Macros for the meal plan and now we begin the assault on the final 5.6lbs. Just looking to reduce the BF so the abs are visible. I want this done, I want it done now.

Buckfever
07-09-15, 7:44 pm
7/09/2015

T-bar Rows:

1PX10

1P+25X10

2PX10

2P+25X10

3PX10X5sets

2PX20

Notes:
First workout back. I think the rest did me some good. Need to start the warm ups a little higher, 3 warmups would be plenty.

Buckfever
07-10-15, 7:02 pm
Deads:

135X10

185X10

225X10

275X2 Form sucked dropped immediately back to 225

225X10

225x10

225X10

225X8

185 worked on form.

Notes:
My conditioning for sets of 10 is lacking however I'm just going to have to deal with it as I need to hold the form and slowly move up, so 5 sets of 10 and a pump set is what I'm doing till I get the form burned in. Definitely prefer Sumo but conventional is really helping rehab the spine so I want to stick with it. Really took the pressure off the erectors with the improved form.

191.2lbs this morning, new low!!!

Buckfever
07-12-15, 11:59 am
A.M. Conditioning work on the sledding hill with the 40lb vest

14 flights @32:21.

Notes:

Been walking 2-3 miles almost daily for a while now. Hot and humid but it's been 2 weeks since I'd been on the hill and lost a little conditioning. Yesterdays weight was 189 today 188.8 so I'm probably hitting another plateau. My initial goal was 187 but I think I'm going to take it down to 182. Right now there's still a bit of fat on the lower abs and the obliques. So I need to overshoot a bit and I'll let the muscles fill in after the fat is off. Been a while but at 182 I used to have a 6 pack, so I know that'll be enough. Getting the fat off has become annoying and I just want to get it over with. Again I'm not sure why now this has become imperative but something in my head about having a man's body has gotten triggered and anything less has become completely unacceptable, creating an urgency. Ima ride that wave.

Erectors feel great after the deadlifts so the focus on the form, took the strain off the spine. Also I'm doing a 20 minute stretch to decompress the spine after deads and squats where you lie back over an edge. That really helps as well.

Buckfever
07-12-15, 3:16 pm
7/12 P.M.

Bench (Paused)

135X10

185X8,5,5,4,3

135X11,8,6

Superset with:

Pulldowns front

100X10

120X10

100X10,20,15,13,10,15,15,12

Notes:
First day back from the deload and I took a good hit here on the strength level. Also since March 25th I've taken off 13 lbs, which was bound to catch up to me. But my priorities are clear here in the short run I want to lean up first. It's important not to get discouraged and keep pushing against the strength loss while leaning up. Finally I really need to bench more, I do better when I bench every 5 days.

Buckfever
07-14-15, 5:25 pm
7-14

DB Overhead Press standing

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X6
60X3
40X13,13,12,8

Tricep Pressdown vbar

60X10
70X10
85X8
100X3 drop 85X3 drop 70X3 drop 60X8

Superset:

Alt Dumbell Curl

25X10
30X10
35X10
40X4 drop 35X3 drop 30X3 Drop 25X4 drop 22.5X4 drop 20X6

Weighted abs decline bench on 1' riser 50lbs

Notes:
16 days since the last accessory session and the drop off was very painful. I don't even want to think about what the Squat session tomorrow is going to look like. But at least at that point everything is hit once since the deload and that should stop the bleeding. As suspected the weight has plateaud at 189-190. I will never be a bodybuilder. I'm committed to getting the fat off but I absolutely hate this, knowing that the calorie restriction is halting my progress is killing me. Definitely changing the programming to bench every 5 days, want that in so that when the leaning up is done I'm ready to roll.

Buckfever
07-15-15, 9:58 am
7/15

Deads:

135X10

185X10

225X10X5sets Rep PR

185X16

Notes:
Weight:189
Scheduling issue so Squats get pushed to Saturday. Form started coming together on the pump set. Had a lot more in the tank but the wind wasn't there. Good session, back on track with the deads.

Buckfever
07-15-15, 7:01 pm
7/15
P.M.

T-bar Rows

1P+25lbsX10

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+5lbsX10X5sets

2P+25X12

Notes:
Walked 2 miles in between sessions and will get get in another 2 miler in here shortly. But put a fork in me I'm pretty much done. :-)
We'll give the erectors a chance to heal up for the Saturday Squat session. Bench on Friday.

Buckfever
07-17-15, 11:55 am
Bench

135X10

185X7,7,7,6,5,4,4,5,4,4

Superset with:

Pulldowns Front

100X10

120X10X10sets

Notes:

Weight jumped up to 191.2 this morning, typical rebound this happens to me every single time, I mention this because if someone is leaning up don't let this discourage you it's normal.

Second workout back from the deload, 185 is getting comfortable and the bench is finally starting to feel right. Going to stick to 10 sets of 10 on the pulldowns and slowly work back up.

Tomorrow Squats, long layoff, should be fun.

Buckfever
07-18-15, 7:48 pm
Squats

135X10
185X10
225X7
245X4
275X2
225X4
185X7
135X10X5sets

Calve Raises on Hack machine

Lots.

Notes:
I was dreading this not because I don't like Squats but 2.5 weeks is way too long a layoff, especially when you haven't been Squatting that long. I probably should have stayed at 185 and did sets of 10 but I wanted to feel(load the structure with) the weight. One of the problems is that whenever I have a conflict I tend to skip the Squat because I know that's my strongest movement but at this rate if I don't work it I'm never going to go up. So that is one programming change I'm committed to making. Every 5 days on the bench, every 6 days on the Squats and Deads. I'll tuck the rest of it around it. Feels good to get that one in the books and back on track. Let's roll.

191.2lbs this morning got to put the hammer down on that too.

Buckfever
07-19-15, 5:09 pm
Workout Sunday!!!

Early AM

2 mile walk

AM

DB standing overhead press

20X10
30X10
40X10
50X10
40X8,8,8,8
45X7

Alt DB curl

30X10
35X10
40X7,8,8,8,7

Superset:

Tri presdown V-bar

60X10
70X10
85X6,6,6,7,6

Weighted Abs decline bench on 1' riser, 50lbs

Notes:
Shoulders definitely not recovered from the friday bench. Was going to drop the bicep work because my forearms are getting beat up, but having trouble getting the dumbbells up to position is a weak link for me, so working the alt dumbbell curls is I think necessary. Abs not recovered from yesterdays Squat session so 5 sets to get a little more volume.

Noon:

2 mile walk

Afternoon:

T-bar Rows:

2PX10

2p+25lbsX10

3pX10

3P+10lbsX10X5sets

2P+25lbsX17

Notes: T-bar rows are great of the thoracic spine region, but also for tightening the core. On the 3rd working set I forgot to tighten the belt and I noticed I was able to tighten the core without the belt no problem.

And now off we go for the final 2 mile walk of the day and that's a rap.

Morning weight: 189.8

Ed Eliason
07-19-15, 5:17 pm
It looks like you are making progress losing that last five pounds! Nice work!

Buckfever
07-22-15, 12:11 pm
7/22 A.M.

Bench
135X10

185X10,7,5

185X4X7sets

Superset:

Pulldowns Front

100X10

125X10X10sets

Notes:
Morning weight 189.2, hungry all the time. Developing an appreciation for what bodybuilders do to cut.
The Bench finally feels right. I've settled on middle finger on the rings, that just seems to be the spot for me. But more than that after 2.5 months I finally have my setup down. First set the grip, then retract the shoulder blades, then slightly arch back to push onto the traps and flatten the feet to lock it. Then just stay tight and keep it in the groove. Going to keep going up 5 lbs a workout on the pulldowns, trying not to beat up the forearms too much. Needed an extra day of recovery after the layoff on the Squats will do Deads this afternoon.

moparguy55
07-22-15, 2:31 pm
Crazy volume wow good job.

Buckfever
07-22-15, 3:26 pm
7/22
Afternoon Deads:

135X10

185X10

225X10

235X10X4sets

235X12

185X20

Notes:
Rep PR @ 235. Shortened the ROM because I was feeling a tiny bit of knee strain, which took the strain completely away and the movement felt much easier and faster. Very happy with the session.

Buckfever
07-24-15, 3:04 pm
7/24

Workout Friday.

AM
2 mile walk

AM weights:

DB Overhead press:

20X20
30X20
40X15,12,8,8,9

Alt Dumbell Curl
30X10
35X10
40X8,8,7,7,6

Superset:

Tri Pressdown V-Bar
60X10
70X10
85X5,7,7,7,7

Weighted Abs Decline bench on 1' riser 50lbs

Noon:
2 mile walk

Afternoon weights:

T-bar Rows:

2PX10
2P+25lbsX10
3PX10
3P+25lbsX7X4sets
3P+25lbsX10
3PX14

Notes:
Morning weight 188.2, so 6.2lbs to go to my new AND FINAL goal of 182. Definitely lost something on the DB overhead press, so I upped the reps and will slowly move back up. But for the most part I'm still moving up slowly or remaining stable despite the weight loss. Will get another 2 mile walk in later, got to get this done.

Buckfever
07-26-15, 12:30 pm
7/26

Bench
135X10
185X10,7,7,6,4,4,5,4,5,4 Rep PR

Superset

Pulldowns (front)

120X10
130X10X10sets

Notes:
Morning weight: 188
Moved the Bench up so not fully recovered, still managed a 10 set rep PR with 185. Anything that I can do to hold on to muscle strength/conditioning while I'm leaning up and essentially starving the muscles gives me a mental boost. Knee started feeling better yesterday and there's no pain today, but I'm still going to give it a full week since the last squat workout for full recovery. I'm pretty sure I got hurt on the Hack squat machine getting in position for the calve raises. I hurt the ankle and then I was compensating. I've never had knee issues. I'm going to go back to the leg press for the calves. We squat on Tuesday.

Cellardweller
07-26-15, 5:07 pm
The hack squat machine can be hard on your knee. Hope all is well. And dude, 56 reps with 185? Crazy volume. You'll be lean and jacked if you keep that up.

Buckfever
07-28-15, 7:20 pm
7/28

SQUATS!!!

135X8

185X6

225X4

245X4

275X3,2,1

225X5X3sets

210X12
230X10
250X10
270X10
290X10
310X6

Notes:
I was careful given the recent knee strain, but I think that's the first triple I did with 275 since I've started back up. Knees felt great. Left a lot in the tank, didn't even feel like I worked out.
Morning weight 188.8. Breaking 188 has become a thorn in my side. It's going down!!!

Buckfever
07-29-15, 9:24 am
Morning weight: 187.4. New low. Going after it.

One of the great benefits of this community, is that there is so much to draw from. When I take a look at what Guns did, I got no Fn excuses.

Buckfever
07-29-15, 5:49 pm
7/29

T-bar rows

2PX10

2P+25X10

3PX10

3P+25X10X5sets

3PX17

Notes:
Love this movement.

Buckfever
07-31-15, 11:17 am
7/31

Bench

135X10

185X6

205X4

225X2

205X4X6sets

Superset:

Pulldowns (front)

120X10

140X10X9sets

Notes:
Not ready for 225 but I had to try. Did I mention dieting sucks?

Pale Rider
07-31-15, 10:39 pm
Nice work

Buckfever
08-01-15, 6:30 pm
8/01

Deads:

135X10

185X10

225X10

275X7,7,7,7,8

225X17

Notes: Big jump, I don't know what happened. I was scheduled for 240X10X5sets, but when I pulled 135 it felt like I was pulling the bar, when I hit 225 for 10 with speed I was like you got to jump. I'll bake at 275 for a while to get sound structurally, but these developments are very encouraging to me given my age. Because while I don't dwell on it in the back of your head you wonder, will I still respond. I really don't wonder about that now. Now it's: just don't get hurt.

Buckfever
08-02-15, 11:25 pm
8/2

Wasn't feeling the gym today, hit the sledding hill with the 40lb vest for 14 flights and walked 3 times for a total of 7 miles. Figured lets keep pushing on leaning up. I'll get a weight tomorrow.

One thing for sure I do not like this feeling small. As you strip the fat away you do lose a lot of volume, it's a little unnerving. And clearly the muscles have not enjoyed the deficit while I'm pushing them. So I do look forward to finishing up the leaning up process and getting back to an anabolic meal plan. But I have no interest in repeating this extensive of a leaning up process. In the last 19 weeks I've taken off about 15lbs which is about a 400 calorie daily deficit. Prior to that I lost 10 lbs at a slower pace. It's no fun.

And now it's literally 31 days to go and I remove the deficit, but while I'm very interested in gaining lean muscle, I have no interest in gaining fat and 400 calories does not allow for indiscriminate intake. It's got to be measured, discipline must remain. But I am looking forward to the extra food.

Buckfever
08-03-15, 8:26 am
8/3

Morning weight: 186.8.

4.8lbs to go now and it was a good call to lower the goal to 182. Almost there.

Buckfever
08-03-15, 6:14 pm
8/3/15

T-bar Rows:

2PX10

2P+25X10

3PX10

3P+25X10

3P+30X10X4sets

3P+30X9

3PX19

Notes:
We're working now. Skipped the accessory day because I need to bench on wed. Programming remains challenging and the changes are being forced on me in that I simply can not pull everything off. I need to stay focused on good programming for the main lifts.

Buckfever
08-05-15, 8:42 pm
8/5

Squat

135X8

185X6

225X4

275X4,3,3

225X7X3sets

Calve Press:
250X10
270X10
290X10
310X10
330X10
350X8

Notes:
Very happy with how the Squats are going, it's just a matter of getting them in. I was having fun for sure.
Wanted to bench in the morning but my forearms were screaming with the warm up so I shut it down. It's a programming problem, I want to bench every 5 days but I can't do Pulldowns and then T-bar rows 2-3 days apart. Either I'll alternate or drop the pulldowns, just hit back every 5 days and structure it so the forearms are recovered by the bench day. Maybe change the programming on the upper body to a push/pull. And I got to tuck in the weighted abs somewhere. We'll figure it out.

Buckfever
08-07-15, 1:02 pm
8/7

Bench

135X10

185X10

205X5X2sets

205X3X8sets

Notes:
Benching without a spot, sucks. I hope I did enough volume to make up for having to be cautious. Forearms are still screaming. I'm going to continue to strip the programming down to basic movements. Yesterdays weight was 186.6, 4.6lbs to go.

Buckfever
08-08-15, 3:54 pm
8/8

Deads:

135X10

185X10

225X10

275X10X4sets

275X8

225X15

Notes:
Sucking wind. No structural issues.

Buckfever
08-09-15, 8:27 pm
A.M.
Sledding hill with the 40lb Weighted vest 16 flights.

Afternoon:

T-Bar Rows:

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+25lbsX10

4PX5X4sets

4PX6

3Px20

Walked 3 times for a total of 6 miles.

Notes: Might be better programming to do pulldowns after deadlifts and T-bar rows after Squats, as the traps and erectors are fatigued after the deadlift day not sure though. Maybe why guys handling the heavier weight gravitate toward chest supported rows, or one arm dumbell rows. On the other hand doing them back to back gives the erectors a complete break till the Squat day. And I really like the rows, forces you to stay tight.

Might need a new belt, I'm now down to the last notch on my size large Inzer.

Buckfever
08-10-15, 5:51 pm
8/10

Bench

135X10

185X8

205X5X3sets

205X3X7sets

Notes:
The bench is really starting to piss me off now. Have a conflict Wed so I had to move it up and 3 days is not enough recovery, but still. Going to put more focus on this movement, go every 4-5 days.

Buckfever
08-10-15, 8:57 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/IMG_1571%201_zpsr5rbdx7s.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/IMG_1571%201_zpsr5rbdx7s.jpg.html)

I thought it turned out fine and it was a pretty simple procedure. The holes are spaced out an inch, so I centered and punched it. Then I used a hammer and nail to establish a pilot. Then I put my knees on either side of it on top of a 2X6 to keep it flat and just started with a thin drill bit and moved up to the bit that I had premeasured as the right size. That was pretty easy. The tricky part is to clean up the outer suede. For that you got to come in from the inside of the belt and pull back with the bit running to clean it up. Didn't take 5 minutes.

Buckfever
08-14-15, 1:09 pm
8/14

Bench

135X10

185X6

205X6X2sets

205X5

205X4X5sets

205X3X2sets

Notes:
Rep PR at 205, which is a little encouraging as I felt the bench was lagging. Definitely can go every 4 days on the bench at least with these lighter weights, so I'll go every 4-5 days, feels like I need more time under the bar. Working without a spot, leaves a lot in the tank, but looks like the volume is making up for it. Went on a vigorous 7 hour hike on Wed over challenging terrain, so things are out of sequence. Got to get back on the Squat rack, but my legs were cramping all night after that hike so I wanted to give it a little time. Hopefully by Tuesday everything is back in.

Morning weight 185.8. 3.8lbs to go. I do not like being this small. I'll finish it, but then that's it. I'm surprised I'm getting stronger because I've definitely lost muscle.

Buckfever
08-16-15, 2:17 pm
8/16

Squats

135X10

185X6

225X4

245X4

275X4

285X2X3sets

245X4X3sets

Calve Press on leg press

250X10

270X10

290X10

310X10

330X10

350X10

370X8

390X6

400X4

Notes:
Had to push the Squat out as the Wed hike really strained the joints. Back on track now with the Squats, just got to keep creeping up slowly, so the structure gets used to it. Now we just got to get the deads in later this week and have everything back in. Life gets in the way and it kinda pisses me off, got to learn to take it in stride.

Buckfever
08-16-15, 4:08 pm
8/16

Afternoon

T-bar Rows

2PX10

3PX10

3P+25lbsX10

4Px7,7,5,5,6

3PX21

Notes:
Right now 5 plates seems like a long ways away. Forearms still beat up - the limiting factor.

Ed Eliason
08-16-15, 5:58 pm
Nice squats brother!

Buckfever
08-16-15, 11:00 pm
Nice squats brother!

Thanks man!

Buckfever
08-17-15, 1:58 pm
17 days final push. Going on Vacation on 9/2, which I will use as a deload. I have no interest in dieting after that so I have decided to give it a 17 day final push. Nothing massive just further reduce the daily intake 200 calories and add an additional 2 mile walk daily. This is it. Final push.

Cellardweller
08-17-15, 9:51 pm
I agree, nice squatting, and lots of volume on that bench day. Lots of work there. Props for killing the dieting on top of all that.

Buckfever
08-18-15, 5:39 pm
8/18

Bench

135X10

185X6

205X4

225X3

225X2X9Sets

Notes: Threw up 4 with 205, forearms weren't too bad so decided to jump. Still getting used to benching without a spot. I did get a spot for the last set, it was a good spot which is rare at this gym, didn't need it lots of speed. As I get stronger there is an increased willingness of some guys to help me out, I just got to figure out who the good spotters are there. I'll bake at 225 for a while try and up the rep count.

Cellardweller
08-19-15, 1:33 pm
Looks good. I hate asking for a spot. I want to focus on my lift and not worry about what random guy is going to do. I probably take too many risks sometimes just because of that.

Buckfever
08-19-15, 4:46 pm
Looks good. I hate asking for a spot. I want to focus on my lift and not worry about what random guy is going to do. I probably take too many risks sometimes just because of that.

I hate asking too. If my bench ever comes up I'm going to go to a powerlifting gym every couple weeks, so I can push it.

Buckfever
08-21-15, 12:20 pm
8/27

Deads

135X10

185X10

225X10

275X10

315X4,4,5,4

225X17,12,10,8

Notes:
Got to bake at 315 for a while.

Buckfever
08-23-15, 1:14 pm
8/23
Bench
135x10
185x6
205x4
225x3x6sets
225x2x4sets

Notes:
Date night with the misses last night, says she's not used to me being this lean. 2 drinks and I swear I have a hangover i'm such a lightweight. Rarely drink. Didn't count calories yesterday but was still disciplined. Got 10 more days of the calorie deficit, will finish strong. Not taking a weight till I'm done with the final push. Forearms are still banged up but getting a little better. Going to just focus on the main lifts now until the vacation. Alternating squats and deads every four days and benching every four days. It's going good.

Buckfever
08-25-15, 6:06 pm
8/25

Squats

135X8

185X6

225X4

245X4

275X4

285X2

285X1

275X1

245X3X7sets

Calve raises on Leg press machine

290X10

310X10

330X10

350X10

370X8

390X4

400X4

Notes:
Hit 275 for 4 on the Squat and it felt fine. Hit 285 for 2 and it felt heavy, which was upsetting. So I told myself try again see if you can get 3 sets. After the first rep I racked it. I knew I didn't have it. So now I'm a combination of pissed and disappointed, I thought I was going to go up. So I calmed myself down and told myself either it's the day, or the diet or the training. If it's the day or the diet, there's nothing you can do. But if it's the training what do you need to do? Well the problem was I was weak at the bottom. So okay find a weight you can work the bottom. Hit one rep at 275 and that was a joke. Hit 3 reps at 245 going down real slow and controlled catching the little bounce off the bottom and driving up. It wasn't an easy set but the reps were clean and I figured I might recover some as more time passed from the heavier sets and that's what happened. So I ground out 7 sets of three with 245 and salvaged what started out as a disappointing session.

Cellardweller
08-26-15, 1:33 pm
Notes:
Hit 275 for 4 on the Squat and it felt fine. Hit 285 for 2 and it felt heavy, which was upsetting. So I told myself try again see if you can get 3 sets. After the first rep I racked it. I knew I didn't have it. So now I'm a combination of pissed and disappointed, I thought I was going to go up. So I calmed myself down and told myself either it's the day, or the diet or the training. If it's the day or the diet, there's nothing you can do. But if it's the training what do you need to do? Well the problem was I was weak at the bottom. So okay find a weight you can work the bottom. Hit one rep at 275 and that was a joke. Hit 3 reps at 245 going down real slow and controlled catching the little bounce off the bottom and driving up. It wasn't an easy set but the reps were clean and I figured I might recover some as more time passed from the heavier sets and that's what happened. So I ground out 7 sets of three with 245 and salvaged what started out as a disappointing session.

This is how you do it. Everyone half squats 405 in the gym and their egos won't allow them to drop down the weight to what they can handle and build back up out of the hole. It's how I learned. There is no other way. There's going to be some big things happening in here.

Buckfever
08-27-15, 8:40 am
8/27

Strained the right erectors on the Squat session. Shouldn't have taken out the weighted abs. I've been pretty injury free, it was bound to happen.
We'll see how long before I can get going again. Scheduled to bench tomorrow.
Morning weight 184.8, 2.8lbs to go.

Pale Rider
08-28-15, 12:19 am
Nice work

Buckfever
08-28-15, 5:33 pm
8/28

Bench

135x10

185X6

205X4

225X3,2

205X4X5sets

205X3

205X2X4sets

205X4

205X3

Notes: If someone doesn't think leg drive makes a difference on the bench, strain your erectors give the bench a go and get back to me. I felt strong on the bench till I got to 225 and couldn't hold tight to drive so I dropped to 205 and went to work. Erectors are healing rapidly, but I will be careful. Forearms feel are completely healed, no pain. 5 more days of a calorie deficit, then the vacation deload and then we get 2 it. I've averaged a 425 calorie deficit since March 25th and it's just starting to sink it that it's almost done. Personally while I understand the benefits of a bulk, I would caution against doing so without discipline, because needing to grind out leaning up plain sucks. Want to get another bench session before the trip. Bench gains are tough I don't want to lose too much.

Buckfever
08-30-15, 11:45 am
8/30

Sledding hill with the 40lb weighted vest

15 flights.

Notes:
Erectors improving but still not recovered so won't get deads or squats in before the vacation so decided to get some conditioning on the sledding hill.
3 more days on the calorie restriction. On a side note leaning up is definitely an aphrodisiac. I'm getting approached on the street, which seems a little phucked up to me, however over drinks my wife revealed to me how much she appreciates my loss of gut. I'll take that.

At 197 I had gone for hydrostatic bodyfat testing and correlated that to the home bodyfat scale. And I know it's not perfectly precise but based on this past weeks reading at 184.4 I've lost approximately 4.9lbs of muscle. So with that in mind the next phase is going to be focused on getting that back but I want to be disciplined. So my thinking is recomposition. All I'm going to do is add 250 calories a day, I'm going to stay disciplined, just enough so that I'm no longer starving the muscles.

Still will remain focused on the main lifts and strength but I do miss the hypertrophy work, so some minor programming changes after the vacation.

For lower body I want to do deads, squats/calves and the sledding hill once a week. I'm going to modulate the volume so I can get that in. The sledding hill with the weighted vest is very much like a lunge and with those three movements I feel the lower body is solid.

On the upper body, Bench, Pulldowns, T-bar rows, Weighted incline abs are the staples but I also want to add DB overhead press, curls and triceps pressdown. The programming key for me on the upper body is to keep the volume just below the threshold where the forearms get beat up. Thinking benching every 4-5 days, pulldowns or rows every 4-5 days and maybe accessories only once a week.

Looking forward to the next phase.

BJ Whitehead
09-01-15, 1:36 am
Good job!

Buckfever
09-09-15, 10:04 pm
9/9

Bench

135X10

155X10

185X7X2sets

185X6

185X5

185X4X6sets

Notes:
First day back since vacation. I was only going to do 135 for 10 sets of 10 just to start back up, but 135 felt light, so I thought ok 5X10 at 155 and a pump set, but then 155 felt light, so I decided to just go to 185 and get to it.

This is a shot that my wife took of me on vacation, being playful, trying to piss me off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Buckfevr/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsswfjssp6.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Buckfevr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsswfjssp6.jpg.html)

Now I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Admittedly I am very happy about leaning up. Also I am happy about picking a goal and sticking to it. But I have to say I was shocked at this photo. All my muscle is phucking gone. So a couple of things. I've been struggling with why I'm not moving any weight, well that picture explains it. There's no muscle to move anything with. The second thing after seeing the pics, I went back to my records and calculated that of the 17lbs lost 6.8lbs was muscle. Posting up a photo, this is not something I'm comfortable with, but I think it's very important especially for the older lifters. It is very costly to get fat and have to get the weight off. I know that strength gains are greatly enhanced when bulking, but as an older lifter all I can say is, don't do it. We do not have the metabolism to support recomposition, it is very, very hard to lose weight after 50. You don't cut back enough, nothing happens, you cut back too much you don't have energy to train or nourishment to recover, it's a hard thin line.

So having experienced this process and having seen the cost, I am not going through this again. Basically I'm setting a hard line at 187lbs, for at least a year, which gives me plenty of room to gain lots of muscle with out putting on any fat. I held a 425 calorie deficit since March, I'll start by adding back 250 calories a day and see how it goes. Basically my goal is to eat as much as I can but stay under 187lbs. For the Macros I'm going to keep it at 40/30/30 with protein at 40, but if I see that I need more energy I might take it to 40/30/30 with the carbs at 40. Also I'll up the volume. For reps I'll keep it in the 4-10 rep range for hypertrophy and for sets it'll between 5 working sets(and a pump set) to 10 working sets. I'll be honest I don't see the point to pushing the strength right now as there's only so much strength I'm going to gain with that little muscle IMO.

Erectors are healed up. Probably deads tomorrow.

Ed Eliason
09-09-15, 11:30 pm
Nice session! Way to get back at it! Dude you are lean! Time to start adding muscle! Yay! Man that's a lot of exclamation points!!

Buckfever
09-10-15, 8:16 pm
9/10/15

T-bar Rows

2PX10

2P+25X10

3PX10X10sets

Notes:
Change of plans, hiking tomorrow, had to push the deads out, so we got the rows going.

Buckfever
09-13-15, 11:30 am
9/11

4 hour hike challenging terrain

9/13

16 flights on the sledding hill with the 40lb weighted vest

Notes:
Weight stable at 185. Appetite is kind of suppressed. The other day I ate BIG and when I added everything up I was only at 2400 calories. My tastes have changed, a lot of the unhealthy and calorie rich foods that I used to eat, are not appetizing anymore. Have to go hiking again on wed, so can't put legs back in till friday, should get going after that though.

Cellardweller
09-13-15, 2:13 pm
a lot of the unhealthy and calorie rich foods that I used to eat, are not appetizing anymore.

That's one of the cool benefits of dieting. Looking good in the pic too. Hope you had a great vacation.

Buckfever
09-19-15, 7:44 pm
9/16
4 hour hike difficult terrain

9/18
Field Archery
125 rounds

Notes:
This is a painful decision but I've decided to an extended deload. On the hiking on wed, I did some non technical climbing and the forearm pain(attachment at the elbow, both sides) was just excruciating. I have to say that overall I've had a pretty good go of it with little in the way of injuries, but this forearm pain simply has been something that I've not been able to work through and pretty much everything irritates it. I tend to be a big picture kind of guy and my primary focus is to get on a 6-9 month strength based hypertrophy run starting after Thanksgiving and I need to be completely healed by then. Given that the post vacation work conflicts didn't let me get much traction on working out and looking at the plethora of conflicts I'm facing in the next few weeks, I've decided to take the deload now. I will continue with biweekly conditioning work on the hill. And I'll do field archery bi weekly as well which keeps the injured area of the spine conditioned and (which friday's session revealed) without any strain on the forearms. But excepting that I'm going to lay off the weights entirely and give these banged up forearms a chance to heal.

Buckfever
09-20-15, 11:19 am
9/20

20 flights on the sledding hill with the 40lb vest.
45:19

Notes:
No reason I can't improve my conditioning while I'm healing up.

Buckfever
09-27-15, 12:03 pm
9/27

Sledding hill 40lb weighted vest

20 flights

Notes:
The medial condylitis on both forearms is healing nicely, at this point there is no muscle pain and only pain to pressure on the tendon insertions. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it, but I'm going to wait for complete healing. I did however put the calorie deficit back in as I am not lifting, there's no need for a higher level of intake and I might as well lean up a bit more. Weight is down to 183.4 and the body fat is dropping. I was probably over training before, my thighs feel bigger just from doing the hill.

Buckfever
10-05-15, 8:31 am
10/4

Sledding Hill with 40lb weighted vest
20 flights

Notes:
185lbs this morning so been doing ok maintaining the weight during the layoff. Medial condylitis on the left forearm is largely resolved but persists on the right forearm. I think I tore the tendon a little on that one, so maybe a couple more weeks. Very very hard to wait and let it heal fully. Part of why I haven't been here as much as it's just too painful as it is to stay out of the gym and I know to take it to the next level I need to be completely healed.

Buckfever
10-11-15, 1:08 pm
10/11

Deadlift

135X10X10sets

Notes:
Starting over nice and easy.
Weight down to 182.4. Got a conflict first 2 weeks in November but at least we'll get things started.
Here we go.

Cellardweller
10-11-15, 1:13 pm
100 reps?!! 100 reps of anything is awesome. Nice start back.

Buckfever
10-13-15, 4:33 pm
10/13/2015

Bench

135X10X4sets

135X5X6sets

Superset with:

Pulldowns front:

100X10X10sets

2 minute rest between supersets.

Notes:
It's almost an eerie feeling to be able to load plates without excruciating forearm pain. Actually no pain. Lost a lot but for me full recover was worth it.

Ed Eliason
10-13-15, 11:39 pm
I'm glad your forearm is healed up! The lifts will come back in no time.

Buckfever
10-21-15, 1:58 pm
10/18

Sledding hill with 40lb vest 20 flights about 45 minutes

10/21
Deadlifts

135X10

185x10X4sets

Notes:
Having trouble getting motivated as I'll be on the road from 11/1-11/22 for 13 days and will not be able get anything in. Just trying to get a few more light workouts in before then.

Buckfever
11-15-15, 6:31 pm
11/15

Deadlift

135X10X10sets

2 minute rest

AJones148
11-16-15, 4:16 pm
11/15

Deadlift

135X10X10sets

2 minute rest

100 reps!! Damn thats a lot of volume!! Well you'll definatlely get your hypertrophy from that.. Kinda reminds me of my sorta bb days when I did German Volume training.. God, I hated that, but that pump tho!!

Buckfever
11-16-15, 9:30 pm
100 reps!! Damn thats a lot of volume!! Well you'll definatlely get your hypertrophy from that.. Kinda reminds me of my sorta bb days when I did German Volume training.. God, I hated that, but that pump tho!!

I like starting back up with GVT, put on a little size, burn in the form and get back some conditioning. Got a day trip wed and then traveling the weekend but then we should be free and clear to get this thing rolling.

Buckfever
11-21-15, 11:26 am
11/21

Deadlifts

145X10X10sets

2 minute rest.

Buckfever
11-21-15, 1:49 pm
11/21 PM

T-bar Rows

2platesX10X10sets

2 minute rest

Buckfever
11-22-15, 11:37 am
11/22

Bench
95X10X10sets

Superset with

CG pulldowns

100X10X10sets

Cellardweller
11-22-15, 12:11 pm
Holy volume Batman. Came back strong in here.

Buckfever
11-22-15, 9:26 pm
11/22 pm

Overhead press

BarX10X10sets

Barbell curls

30X10X10 sets

Superset with

Tricep Pressdown

40X10X10sets

Incline abs

BWX15,12,6

Buckfever
11-26-15, 12:32 pm
11/26

Thanksgiving Deadlifts

155X10X10sets

2 minute rest.

Buckfever
11-27-15, 12:16 pm
11/27

Bench Press

100X10X10sets

Superset with

Pulldowns

105X10X10sets

Buckfever
11-27-15, 4:39 pm
11/27
p.m.

Overhead Press
50X10X10sets

Barbell curls

40X10X10sets

superset with

Tricep Pressdown

45X10X10sets

Incline Abs
BWX10X4sets

Buckfever
11-29-15, 12:46 pm
11/29

Deadlifts

165x10x9sets

165X20

Buckfever
11-29-15, 6:31 pm
11/29 p.m.

T-Bar Rows

2plates+5lbsX10X10sets

Pale Rider
11-30-15, 11:03 pm
Nice work

Buckfever
12-06-15, 11:24 am
12/6

Bench (Paused)

105X10X10sets

Superset with

Pulldowns(various)

120X10X10sets

Notes:
Started up meal plan.

2250 calories, 40% protein.

Buckfever
12-06-15, 4:33 pm
12/6 p.m.

Overhead Press

55X10X10sets

Barbell curls

40X10

50X10X10sets

Superset with

Tricep Pressdown

40X10

50X10X10sets

Weighted incline abs, decline bench on a 1 foot riser

25lbsX7

25lbsX5X4sets

Buckfever
12-08-15, 6:46 pm
12/8

Deadlift

135X10

185X10X10sets

Buckfever
12-16-15, 6:08 pm
12/16

Bench

115X10X6sets

115X8

115X7X3sets

Superset with

C.G. Pulldowns

125X10X7sets

125X8X2sets

125X7

Buckfever
12-16-15, 11:06 pm
12/16 p.m.

Deadlifts

135X10

185X10

190X10X5sets

185X12

Notes:
All work and no play makes Buckfever a dull boy. Working 6 out of the next 7. Had to do something.

Buckfever
12-20-15, 11:38 am
12/20

Bench

120X10X7sets

120X8X2sets

120X7

Superset with:

CGpullldown

130X10X3sets

WGPulldown

140X7X6sets

140X6

Buckfever
12-22-15, 6:05 pm
12/22

Squat

115X10X10sets

Calve press on Leg press machine
150X10
170X10
190X10
210X10
230X10

Notes:
First squat session back, this is going to hurt. Paused last rep of each Squat set. I'm tight, left shoulder wasn't happy. Should've done more volume on the calves but I'm probably going to have trouble walking as it is.

Buckfever
12-27-15, 12:03 pm
12/27

Bench

135X10X6sets

135X8X4sets

Superset with:

Pulldowns

140X10X3sers

140X8X4sets

140X7

140X8X2sets

Pale Rider
12-31-15, 8:43 pm
Happy new year

Buckfever
01-03-16, 2:10 pm
1/3/2016

Bench

135X10

140X10X5sets

140X7X4 sets

140X6

Superset with:

Pulldowns(various)

140X10X6sets

140X8X4sets

Notes:
First day back after a week off, fighting a sinus infection. Sucking wind.

Cellardweller
01-03-16, 2:28 pm
Dispite not feeling well you got lots of volume in. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Buckfever
01-04-16, 4:31 pm
1/4

Squat

120X10X10sets

2 minute rest

Calve Press on Leg Press machine

210X12X4sets

Notes:
Still tight but not as tight. I'm just out of shape. Right now just got to keep getting the workouts in.

Buckfever
01-06-16, 1:24 pm
1/6

Standing Overhead Press

45X10

55X10

65X10

75X7X3sets

80X7X5sets

80X5

80X6

Tri Pressdown

Vbar

50X10

60X10

70X8,8,7,7

Rope

6sets

Superset with

Barbell Curls(fat bar)

50X10

60X10

70X8X2 sets

70X6,7,7,6

70X5X4sets

Incline Weighted Abs
25lbsX10,7,6

Notes:
Last year I couldn't do standing Overhead barbell press, too much structural damage. So I was doing dumbbells and can use so much more weight with those because I can work around the weakened, damaged areas. Thing is I don't want to work around the damage I want to work through it. So I'm glad that I can do this movement again. I'll just go easy with good form and move up slowly. Good forearm pump from the fat bar, I have big hands, it really works for me.

Buckfever
01-06-16, 7:07 pm
1/6 p.m.

T-Bar Rows

1pX10

2pX10

2p+25lbsX10X7sets

2p+25lbsX8X3sets

Notes:
Deads on friday and that will make the first full week back. Let's get this thing rolling.

Buckfever
01-08-16, 11:39 am
1/8

Deadlift

135X10

185X10X10sets

Notes:
First full week of programming. Hadn't deadlifted in 3 weeks so I took a step back to play it safe. Wind is weak but getting better. Going to alternate deads and squats every 4-5 days. Not sure on goals yet for the year. I'll take a weight on Sunday. Definitely want a 6 pack by the summer, but already have the meal plan going and I'm starting off in much better shape than last year. It's the other part of it that I'm not clear on. Whether to focus on strength or hypertrophy. I am sure that I prefer training movements rather than body parts, not sure why as I definitely respond better to a bodybuilding type of workout. Maybe its because I'm older and I have a different mentality now, but I'm sure this is what I prefer. I just don't know if I'm going to emphasize going heavy versus focusing on volume. From June 2014 to September 2015 I went from 212.2 to 182.4, 10lbs of which was muscle. And this was starting from an atrophied state. This is no doubt part of the dilemma for me. I am not used to having so little muscle.

Maybe it's age related, maybe those days are over. I'm just not willing to accept it. We'll figure it out.

Anyway programming is back in, we got no pain. Slow and steady wins the race.

Buckfever
01-10-16, 10:39 am
Facing the music. Morning weigh in: 192.2. Impedence scale says about 6.5lbs of fat gained. Time to get to work.

Buckfever
01-10-16, 2:18 pm
1/10

Bench

145X10X7sets

145X8

145X7X2sets

Superset with

Pulldowns

140X10X8sets

140X8X2sets

Notes:
Even with this minimal progression my wind is lagging. Either I program less volume or it will likely be forced on me.

Buckfever
01-11-16, 8:21 am
Morning weight 193.4 gained 1.2 from yesterday. So this is how it's going to be? :-)

HotShotSki
01-11-16, 10:29 am
Morning weight 193.4 gained 1.2 from yesterday. So this is how it's going to be? :-)

Buck,

What area of Lake County? I grew up in Zion until I graduated HS, left for the Army and haven't missed the place much

Buckfever
01-11-16, 10:36 am
Buck,

What area of Lake County? I grew up in Zion until I graduated HS, left for the Army and haven't missed the place much

Lincolnshire area, moved here for the schools. -3 this morning I doubt you'd miss it much today.

Buckfever
01-13-16, 1:28 pm
1/13

Squats

135X10X10sets

Paused last rep each set
2 minute rest

Calve press (life fitness)

90X10X10sets
1 minute rest

Notes:
They adjusted the leg press machine, I think to make it more user friendly for the woman, but they shortened the ROM adjustment and I can't get in it and push enough weight to work the calves. So I switched to the calve press machine, it's fine I just got to get used to it.

My joints hate the cold.

Buckfever
01-13-16, 6:33 pm
1/13 p.m.

T-bar rows

1pX10

2pX10

2p+35lbsX10X5sets

2p+35X8

2p+35X7

2p+35X8X3sets

Notes:
Quads didn't like rows after Squats.
Morning weight 191.4.
Daily calories 2250 ~35%protein.

Buckfever
01-15-16, 2:43 pm
1/15

Bench

135X10

155X10X4sets

155X9

155X8

155X7X2sets

155X6

155X5

Superset with

Pulldowns(wide)

140X10

145X10X2sets

(close grip)

160X6X6sets

160X5

160X4

Notes:
Should have been at 150 today on the Bench but I'm a little frustrated by the 5 lb progression. Which is stupid because I'm progressing fine and without any discomfort, I need to be patient.

The Pulldowns I go with whatever station is available and when the wide grip was taken I decided to give the Close Grip pulldowns a go and test the forearms at 160. Very slow controlled reps and was able to get in a good amount of volume without any discomfort. I'll bake there for a while.

Buckfever
01-17-16, 1:14 pm
1/17

Standing Overhead Press

50X10

65X10

75X10X2 sets

75x8

75x7x2Ssets

Tricep Pressdown

50X10

60X10

70X8

70X10

70X9X3sets

Superset with

Curls

50X10

60X10

70X8X5sets

Incline weighted abs
25lbsX7,7,6,4

Notes:
Abs are weak. Backing off on volume, wind and recovery can't keep up with progression.

Cellardweller
01-17-16, 2:58 pm
I'm always blown away by the volume you do. I wouldn't even begin to know what I could do 10x10 on any given lift. How is that on your joints? Does it kill your elbows?

Jeppeehh
01-17-16, 4:18 pm
I'm always blown away by the volume you do. I wouldn't even begin to know what I could do 10x10 on any given lift. How is that on your joints? Does it kill your elbows?

Agree, some impressive volume you have going on!

Buckfever
01-17-16, 5:24 pm

I think you have to keep in mind how light the weights are and at this point there is just a small strength component so this is mostly just conditioning. I think about when I used to Squat 405. The progression would be 135X8,185X6,225X4,275X4,315X3,365X3 385X3, 4X4 working sets with 405 and then a pump set of 12 with 315. To me that's volume. Squats of 135X10X10sets is just exercise.

But to tell the truth I don't think 10X10 is all that effective. When I look at the log, even with the light weights once the progression gets to the point that you're building a little strength, it's pretty clear that at 6-7 working sets, the muscles are done. I don't even like sets of 10. LOL I view it as safe rehab work. My idea of strength conditioning is 5 sets of 7. That's volume with a heavy enough weight. But a year and a half ago I was benching with the bar and now I got crazy ideas that I can get strong again.

I'm going to do what I can do. Structurally I feel pretty sound right now, so very gradually I'll decrease the volume as I keep the progression.

Ed Eliason
01-18-16, 10:05 am
You can get strong again! Looks like you're doing great, just gradually increase the weight while decreasing the volume. You'll get there.

Buckfever
01-20-16, 12:36 pm
1/20

Deadlifts

135X10

185X10

225X10X5sets

185X15

Notes:
Man still sucking wind, had to stop at 15 on the pump set because I was so winded I couldn't hold the form.

Morning weight: 191

Buckfever
01-20-16, 3:20 pm
1/20 Afternoon

Tbar Rows

1PX10

2PX10

2P+25X10

2P+37.5X10X2sets

2P+37.5X8X3sets

2PX20

Buckfever
01-22-16, 12:36 pm
1/22

Bench

135X10

155X10

165X10,10,6,7,7

Superset with

Close Grip Pulldowns

140X10

160X10,10,8,8

180X5

Notes:

Pissed off, holding back, so far so good.

Buckfever
01-22-16, 8:20 pm
1/22 p.m.

Standing Overhead Press

BarX10

65X10

95X5,5,5,5,6

Barbell curls

60X10

70X10

80X10,6,6,5,5

Superset with:

Tricep Pressdown

60X10

70X10

85X6,5,5,5,5

Incline weighted abs

25lbsX10,7,5

Notes:
Had to run off to catch the Revenant with my wife immediately after the workout. Long movie, I'm starving. :-)

Buckfever
01-24-16, 2:06 pm
1/24/2016

Squat

135X10

155X10

185X10X5sets

Calve Press machine

95X10
100X10
105X10
110X10
115X10
120X10
125X10
130X10

Notes:
I have no idea where I'm supposed to be at on this calve machine. Sucking wind on the last few sets on the Squats, but I got them in. Inspired by Gunrock's performance.

Buckfever
01-27-16, 3:44 pm
1/27

Bench

135X10

155X10

185X6X4sets

185X5X2sets

185X4X2sets

Superset wuth

C.G. Pulldowns

140X10

160X10

180X6

180X5X4sets

180X4

180X5

180X4

Notes:
Probably not benching again for a week so a little more volume. I think I was scheduled for 170 but the wind wasn't there so I bumped up the progression a little. But also I'm curious because I did some volume with 6 rep sets on the pulldowns and the strength jump was pretty significant. I do want to explore that a little bit. I know I don't respond well to 3 rep sets. 10 reps work ok but then the wind is a limiting factor. There probably is a rep/set recovery time sweet spot.

Buckfever
01-29-16, 1:08 pm
1/29

Standing Overhead Press

BarX10

65X10

95X8,6,6,6

95X5,4,5,6

Curls (Fatbar)

60X10

80X10

90X6,5,4,4,4

Superset with:

Tricept pressdown (v bar)

60X10

70X10

85X8,7,6,6,4

Incline weighted abs

25lbsX12,7,5

Notes:
My son is coming home for the weekend so I put off deadlifts till Sunday to lift with him. I'm very excited about the Overhead press. Feels like I'm gaining mobility and able to get the movement in the right groove. Been a long time. I did that door jam shoulder/thoracic stretch yesterday and that seems to help. There's just a couple of rehab stretches I need to do and I need to be more consistent there.

Watching Ed Eliason and Cellardweller put the beatdown on the lbs is giving me a lot of motivation regarding the mealplan and I've been remarkably disciplined but the weight isn't budging. I suspect the layoff was giving me a false reading on the weight as the muscles had deflated. I remain steadfast.

Ed Eliason
01-29-16, 1:29 pm
Stick to it and adjust where necessary. You'll get there. Have fun lifting with your son!

Buckfever
01-31-16, 1:10 pm
1/31

Deadlift

135X10

185X10

225X10

245X10

275X7

295X4,7,5,5

225X13

Notes:
Basement deads with my son.

Buckfever
01-31-16, 4:18 pm
1/31/16

T-Bar Rows

1Plate+25lbsX10

2PlateX10

2Plates+25lbsX10

3PlatesX10X5sets

2Plates+25lbsX17

Notes:
So far so good. I remain cautious but things are coming up. Wind remains an issue but with the reduced volume I'm getting along. When the weather breaks I may add a 2 mile run 5 times a week. We'll see if I still need it by then. The only issue I see is the weight. I'm rock solid on the meal plan, with protein up to 40% and carbs down to 30%, my appetite is completely suppressed now but the weight is not budging. I'm not gaining but I'm not losing either. Thing is that I don't want to eat less. I'm getting a good amount of protein and good nutrition and I'm responding to training. The muscles are filling out and the shape of my body is changing. Not into the bodybuilding look so much but would rather look like a gorilla than a boy. So while I'm inspired by what some are doing here and I do want to get ripped for vacation late summer, there's time, I'll keep it here for a while.

Pale Rider
01-31-16, 4:43 pm
Nice work man

Buckfever
02-02-16, 11:47 pm
Weight creeped up to 193.8, tightened up the calories to 2000/day, protein at 200grams. It doesn't make any sense that I should be gaining weight as I've been very disciplined, except that I'm coming back from a long layoff and the muscles are filling up. But it's not like I'm ripped and I have no interest in letting the weight get away from me. I'm not hungry so it's not a big deal. If I start dropping off I'll revisit it.

Buckfever
02-03-16, 12:52 pm
2/3

Bench

135X10

185X10

195X6

195X5X5sets

195X4X2sets

Superset with

Close Grip pulldowns

140X10

160X10

180X8

180X7

180X6X5sets

Notes:
Felt much stronger so once a week on the upper body seems to be working. On the 7th working set on the bench I was done, I did the 8th set because I was being stubborn. I'm figuring for straight sets on a once a week deal 6-7 sets, 4-7reps for the working sets, is where I need to be for now. Weight is already dropping after just a short time of tightening it up, but I'm not going to report it yet as I'm sure I appear psychotic about my weight. But I do find it beneficial to have a sounding board to flesh it out.

Buckfever
02-05-16, 1:31 pm
2/5

Squats

135X10

185X10

205X6X6sets

185X10

Life fitness Calve Press

130X10X5 sets

Notes:
Thought about going heavier on the Squats but I know the whole thing will be waiting for the structural strength to catch up so there's no point in pushing it. Not sure about the volume. 10 reps I'm still sucking wind 6 works better. Not sure about the volume but it seemed pretty good I didn't feel the need to pause the last rep of the last working set, felt I was working pretty good. And on the drop down set I didn't want any more than 10. We'll see the response next time That Life Fitness Calve Press for the life of me I can't find the groove on that movement but it's my best available option so we'll keep doing it. The last set I did a drop set down to 90, decent burn but I don't know what that means. Trying to get away from supplements a little and eat more food.

Buckfever
02-07-16, 1:24 pm
2/7/16

Overhead Press

45X10

65X10

95X9

100X6X3sets

100X4X4sets

Curls

60X10

80X10

100X4X3sets

80X8X2sets

80X6X2sets

Superset with

Tricep pressdown

60X10

70X10

85X8X2sets

85X6X2sets

85X8

85X6X2sets

Incline weighted abs

25lbs X11,7,5

Notes:
Abs are still weak. No dinner meetings /functions for a couple of weeks now so I'm going to put the hammer on the meal plan and see if we can whittle away at this. I've been disciplined even when going out but it's hard to now for sure how things are prepared and you're estimating on the portions where as at home I can weigh things and be much more precise. So I'll weigh in on the 20th, see if I can crack this thing.

Buckfever
02-09-16, 11:02 am
2/9

Deadlifts

185X10

225X10

275X8

315X4X4sets

275X6X3sets

Notes:
We're working now. It's hard not to be inspired when you see what Pete Rubish is doing.

Buckfever
02-09-16, 2:44 pm
2/9 afternoon

T-bar Rows

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+10lbsX10X5 sets

3PX12

Notes:
Slow and steady. Forearms are holding up.

Buckfever
02-10-16, 12:50 pm
2/10

Bench

135X10

185X10

205X5,4,4,4

185X6,6,7

Superset with

C.G. Pulldowns

140X10

180X8

200X4X7sets

Notes:
Wasn't planning on 200 with the pulldowns but I accidentally loaded 180 instead of 160 and it felt light so I stopped at 8 and decided to give 200 a try. The pulldowns have come back quickly but my theory is that when my forearms were lit up that was interfering. Right now structurally everything is pretty good. Which is my primary focus. I'm creeping up just enough to strain the structure but recover by the next workout. It's a lot of discipline you really have to pay attention. Gym was empty I played it conservative on the bench. Which is a problem for me because where I'm at on the bench is a thorn in my side. Not that I'm strong on any of the movements but I'm not concerned about the others. It is what it is, just got to keep grinding away.

Cellardweller
02-10-16, 2:42 pm
Strength creeping up on you. You've got to love those happy accidents when you misload something and nail it. Bench is tough by yourself. I used to be crazier in my basement and really push myself. I did the roll of shame many times LOL. If I don't have a spot in the gym I just don't do that last iffy rep.

Buckfever
02-12-16, 1:31 pm
2/12

Standing Overhead Press

50X10

70X10

95X10

105X6

115X4X4sets

105X6X3sets(last one was a grinder)

Curls

60X10

80X10

100X4X4sets

80X6X3sets

Superset wtih

Tricep Pressdowns Vbar

70X10

85X10

100X3,4,3,3

85X6X3sets

Weighted incline abs

25lbsX13,7,4

Notes: Squatting on Sunday and the upper body gets a much needed rest till next Wed. Things are going well and yet I'm getting pissed. It's a good thing.

Buckfever
02-14-16, 12:03 pm
2/14

Squat

135X10

185X10

225X6X6sets

Calves Assorted
Lots.

Notes:
They reset the range of motion on the Leg press machine, thank God, so I can go back to doing calve raises on that. I just didn't fit right in the other one. Thought about going heavier on the Squats but once again reason prevailed over emotion. Slow and steady. Still sucking wind but only towards the end.
Correct answer: Spend the money on the roses.

Happy Valentines Days!

Buckfever
02-15-16, 7:49 pm
2/15/2016

Bench

155X10

185X8

205X5

215X3X5sets

195X4X4sets

Superset with

Close Grip Pulldowns

160X8

180X6

200X6X3sets

200X4X4sets

Notes:
Had to move up the bench because of a conflict next week that would mess up all my programming. I was sore as hell from the squats so it was hard to get tight. Gym was really busy it was hard to get on the bench. And since I foolishly did full range of motion I was immediately abandoned, so no spot. So I was conservative, but upped the volume, hopefully I did something.

I couldn't be happier with the pulldowns. I wasn't sure if last time was a fluke but I was even stronger this time. It just feels like my body is working right on that movement. And it's a nice piece of equipment, stack goes to 260.

Buckfever
02-17-16, 1:22 pm
2/17/16

Standing Overhead Press

60X10

80X10

100X8

100X7X6sets

Barbell curls

60x10

80X10

100X6,5,4

90X6,6,4,4

Superset with

Tricep pressdown

70X10

85X10

100X4X3sets

85X7,6,5,6

Incline weighted abs

25lbs X14,7,5

Notes:

Squat rack was not available so I had to use the fixed weight barbells so I kept it at 100 on the overhead press and did a little more volume. Abs are improving. Now the pressing movements get a much needed rest till Sunday. Not yet where I want to be in terms of fitness but it feels like I'm able to push now. I want to get stronger. I'm starting to believe it.

Kowboy
02-17-16, 1:31 pm
The new gym I am at has 2 squat racks and man it can make lifting a pain in the ass. I hate having to clean it first then press. Nice work on overhead press man, just stick to it and keeping grinding.

Cellardweller
02-17-16, 2:45 pm
I'm able to push now. I want to get stronger. I'm starting to believe it.

Without belief in yourself you've got nothing. You will get stronger. You are getting stronger.

Buckfever
02-18-16, 6:55 pm
The new gym I am at has 2 squat racks and man it can make lifting a pain in the ass. I hate having to clean it first then press. Nice work on overhead press man, just stick to it and keeping grinding.

Without belief in yourself you've got nothing. You will get stronger. You are getting stronger.

Appreciate the support guys.

Buckfever
02-19-16, 11:22 am
2/19/16 AM

Deadlifts

185X10

225X10

275X10

315X6X3sets

315X4X4sets

Notes: Rep PR @ 315 since the accident. Slow controlled movements staying tight. I remain cautious.

Buckfever
02-19-16, 3:13 pm
2/19/16 PM

T-bar rows

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+25X6X6sets

3PX16

Notes: A little bit of thickness is starting to develop in the Thoracic spine area. Maintaining good mobility, need to keep working to stabilize the spine there. So a combination of hypertrophy and strength, a little higher on the reps here. Keep creeping it up carefully.

Buckfever
02-20-16, 8:19 am
On 2/6 my weight creeped up to 193.8 so I decided I needed to tighten the meal plan. On 2/7 I took a weight and I had bumped up to 194 so I decided to drop the calories to 2000 and hold it there till the 20th, today which is going to be an off day as I'm taking my wife out for the evening. I kept a strict food diary and during those 13 days I averaged 1938 calories and 198 grams of protein. Todays weight 193.

I have to say that the scale is a little disappointing. That said, I have to say that the mirror isn't. There is an undeniable increase in mass. It's a long ways from where I used to be and where I want to go, but there is a glimpse now of a man's body. The weight is stabilized, I am getting stronger, I'm putting on a little size, I'm going to keep the meal plan here.

And I do like this deal where you pick a future date as an off day. Makes it a whole lot easier to stay disciplined IMO.

But the 6 pack summer goal has not changed. That must happen. I'll stay on this till April 2, which is the next time that I can take my wife out and I'll reassess. But most likely if I need it, I'll just add a 2 mile daily walk or run to tip the balance.

Ed Eliason
02-20-16, 11:05 am
As long as you're looking better and getting stronger I wouldn't be concerned with gaining a few pounds. I've gone up a few pounds lately, it's easy to do with daily fluctuations in hydration levels and what not. Plus my diets loosened up some. I need to it up some.

Cellardweller
02-20-16, 1:32 pm
Could be you added a bit of muscle too. If a 6-pack is the goal, then don't worry too much about the scale and focus on the mirror more. I'm in a weight loss contest so I'm focusing on the scale right now, but after ...

Buckfever
02-21-16, 12:49 pm
2/21/2016

Bench

135X10

185X10

225X2X8sets

205X4,5,4,4

Close Grip Pulldowns

160X10

180X10

200X6X3 sets

200X4,4,4,5

Notes: Been afraid to go to 225 on the bench so I convinced myself to just do sets of 2. Not afraid of it now. Groove was off wasn't bringing it back up over the shoulders to finish. Was starting to find it there towards the end. Erectors are sore so the pulldowns were tough. Back on the meal plan today. I'll take a weight tomorrow.

Buckfever
02-23-16, 1:25 pm
2/23/2016

Standing Overhead Press

65X10

95X10

115X6X3sets

Cellardweller is pressing what I'm benching.

115X4

115X4

115X4

115X4

Tricep Pressdown

70X10

85X10

100X6X3sets

100X4X4sets

Superset with

Curls

70X10

90X8

100X3X3sets

90X8

90X6X3sets

Incline weighted abs

25lbsX15,9,7

Notes: Man that guy's a ball buster. I was planning to Squat today but the erectors were still a little strained yesterday so I decided to give them a little more time and move up the pressing. This accessory day has become no joke. Abs are responding, forearms are feeling rock solid, I think they're good. Still not happy with my wind. We'll just keep plugging away.

Buckfever
02-23-16, 6:56 pm
Correction top set of Curls was 110X3X3sets.

Buckfever
02-26-16, 12:57 pm
2/26/2016

Squats

135X10

185X10

225X6

245X5,6,5,3

225X4X6sets

210X10

230X10

250X7X4sets

250X11

Notes: Too long a layoff. Soreness in the erectors caused me to push out the Squat session and then I got buried at work. I was definitely tentative because I was concerned about the erectors. Last year I tweaked the erectors squatting and then went to the chiro and he did a weird manipulation that wind up hurting my hip. So I learned from last year from the forearms and the erectors that I'm just way better off letting things heal rather than pushing through it. The erectors today were not an issue at all. But because of the concern I did 4 deep controlled top sets leaving a lot in the tank and then did deep controlled volume on the backoff sets. That should get me back on track.

I can not believe how much I lost on the calves so I'm so glad the leg press machine is fixed. The stack on that goes to 390 so that's going to be the goal there.

Because I was so busy this week I only managed about 1800 calories a day and my weight dropped to 190.2 this morning. I'm going to push the calories back up to 2000. I want to lean up but I want to do it slow, building strength remains the primary. I have a lunch this Sunday with my son and then my next date night with my wife I'm planning for 3/26, so those will be off days. I'll take a weight and make the next evaluation on the meal plan on the 26th.

Kowboy
02-26-16, 1:25 pm
looking good man, I have tweaked my hips a million times. Mine are super fucking tight always....

Buckfever
02-26-16, 7:58 pm
2/26/2016 P.M.

Bench

135X10

185X10

225X3X3sets

225X2X5sets

205X4X4sets

C.G.Pulldowns

160X10

180X10

200X6X3sets

200X4

200X5X3sets

Notes:
Driving out to see my son on Sunday so it was either Bench today or after work tomorrow, but given how crazy work has been I decided not to put it off. I can say definitively that Squats in the morning and Bench and Back in the afternoon is insane. I was running out of gas on the pulldowns but then seemed to get a second wind for the last 3 sets. Now I just got to press on Monday or Tuesday after work and I'm back on schedule. Progress is slow and steady, but we keep pushing.

Buckfever
02-29-16, 7:07 pm
2/29/2016

Standing Overhead Press

65X10

95X10

115X7X3sets

115X4X4sets

Curls

70X10

90X10

110X4,4,4,3,2,2,3

Superset with

Tricep Pressdown

70X10

85X10

100X7,6,5,4,3,4,4

Weighted Incline Situps

25X16,7,7

Notes: It was a fuck day at the office, but I went to the gym anyway. Didn't feel like back down sets. Just ground out whatever I could get.

Buckfever
02-29-16, 8:10 pm
I just want to say that I'm going to try to clean up my language. I actually reached out to the moderators to clean it up for me. Till then, my apologies, I'd like to show better form.

Buckfever
03-02-16, 11:31 am
3/3/2016 A.M.

Deadlift

225X10

275X10

315X6

325X3

335X3X5sets

315X4X3sets

Notes: There is no question that the biggest factor that I'm facing recovering from injury is fear of injury. At 315 I thought about just doing volume, but then I coaxed myself into testing a little. First I thought just throw on the 2.5s but then I thought go up 10. 325 @ 3 was easy so I stopped there deciding to go up a little more. Got 335 for 3, thought about going up but then decided that that a 20lb jump was enough and I actually thought I could do some work here, so I went at it with sets of 3s. I wanted one more set @ 315 but I felt I was done and looking at it now it was a decent amount of volume. Anyway in evaluating where I'm at the problem is that my quads are behind. I waited on putting the squat in because it's my strongest movement, it just has to catch up. Erectors feel good. Rows later.

I do want to do volume but down the road, maybe 4 months out. As long as i can keep creeping up that's what I want to do and then eventually when I plateau, back off just a little, pound the volume focusing on general fitness and leaning up and putting in a new base for the next run. But it's way too soon, just got to keep pushing through.

Buckfever
03-02-16, 2:05 pm
3/3/16 afternoon

T-bar rows

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+25lbsX10X2sets

3P+25lbsX8

3P+25lbsX7X4sets

Notes: Felt heavy, couldn't remember what I did last time so I pushed the volume on the top set. I just didn't remember, it was a decent jump. Needed more rest from the morning session, but wanted to get it over with. Back on schedule now. Benching on friday.

Buckfever
03-04-16, 12:57 pm
3/4/2016

Bench

135X10

185X8

225X3X7sets

205X4X4sets

C.G. Pulldowns

160X10

180X8

200X6

220X3X3sets

220X2

180X7X3sets

Notes:
Gym was empty again and I was nervous to bench without a spot. I got 3 sets of 3 and then I was entering new ground, but I'd get the first 2 reps easy so I kept going for the 3rd. Didn't have to grind anything at 225. On the back down sets I focused on keeping it in the groove really working the sticking point.

This pulldown session after the recent rows tends to be a tough one for me as I'm not recovered and there's some cross over. But that's why I like the close grip as it's almost all lats. I keep eye balling that 260lb stack which is funny because I probably can't even move it, but when I hit 200 I started thinking a little crazy. I don't know I just got fixated on trying 220. I was smiling because I wasn't sure I could actually get the weight into position or if I could even move it if I did. But I got 3 clean reps so I decided to keep going. On the 4th set I wasn't even close to the 3rd rep so then I dropped down and got some work in.

Long session but a quality session.

Buckfever
03-06-16, 2:19 pm
3/7/16

Squat

135X10

185X8

225X7

245X5X7sets

Calve press on leg press machine

210X10

230X10

250X10

270X10

290X8

310X5

330X5

350X3

330X4

310X6,4

Notes:

Felt stiff on the Squat to start but by 225 felt better. I tried out Squatting with flat shoes because with the heal I feel a tendency to tip forward, but I just don't have the mobility and quite frankly I don't want to spend the time working on it. I could have gone heavier but the fact is I need to build up the quads, it's all in the sticking point right now. I actually wanted to do more volume with 245 but guys were waiting on the Squat rack and they were just too uncomfortable to work in with me. I offered several times. They were respectful and told me there was no hurry, but I really don't understand that culture. Right now the Squat is lagging IMO. I put it in last because it's usually my best movement but as with all things and especially being older I have come to find, if you don't use it you lose it.

Calves are weak we'll keep working on it.

Buckfever
03-08-16, 9:53 pm
3/8/16

Bench

135X8

185X6

225X4X2sets

225X3X3sets

225X2X4sets

C.G.Pulldowns

160X10

180X8

200X6

220X4X2sets

220X3X3sets

220X2

220X3

Notes: I did save it for 225 on the bench, that said its the first time I got 225 for 4 since the accident. But the more significant thing was that I actually benched tonight. I'm not sure what I had been doing before, but some time tonight I found the groove and was mostly able to keep it there. That's huge IMO. I don't know that the hell is going on with the pulldowns, but it's going good. Maybe it's where you draw inspiration, but every time that I look at that pulldown stack @260 I think about Pete Rubish going after 900. But it's not just inspiration. There's something else you see it in Rubish in Dan Green but also you see it in the regulars here, certainly a lot of the ones I happen to follow cellardwellar, Edelliason, ajones, gunrock(sic),etc there is a willingness to take it to the redline. It's not reckless, but it is deliberate. I respect it and I draw from it.

I did miss the pressing/accessory day, because I've been helping my daughter with her studies, but I'll make that up tomorrow.

Ed Eliason
03-08-16, 10:17 pm
Nice benching! And yes finding the groove is HUGE!

Cellardweller
03-09-16, 1:35 pm
Great job. Things will just move up from here out.

Buckfever
03-14-16, 8:24 pm
Well I wish I had a great workout to report, but instead last Wed I got hit with that nasty virus that's been floating around. I went down hard. I wound up sleeping for 34 hours straight, complete misery. It was made worse I believe by the fact that my wife was away to Europe for 2 weeks on a business trip, I was in no condition to drive and the only medicine in the house was Tylenol. So I had to ride it out three days till I was in good enough shape to pick up some Flonase for the secondary Sinus infection and reach my Doc for antibiotics.

The biggest concern I have though is that I did not eat for 2 days and since then my appetite is slowly coming back but I'm not wanting protein. I'm craving carbs. I'm incorporating protein by making homemade meat sauce to have with the pasta and adding fish to the rice. But truth is that's about all I can do. I'm really not hungry.

Hopefully back in the gym Wed. We'll see how much damage.

Cellardweller
03-14-16, 8:56 pm
2/23/2016

How did I miss this before? LOL! There are guys on the FORVM warming up with my maxes and it wasn't too long ago that I was benching what you are. But please, if you are coming after me keep up the mantra. You're on the right track and the work is getting done.

Buckfever
03-23-16, 2:09 pm
3/23/2016

Bench

135X8

185X6X5 sets

185X4X2sets

Close Grip Pulldowns

160X10

180X8

200X3X7sets

Notes:

First day back after 2 weeks and I was dreading it for fear of how much I lost. Wasn't horrible. I lost a lot of weight so I was expecting it to be worse. My sense of taste remains altered from the infection, certain protein staples for me are simply not palatable. Including but not limited to whey. Which is really the one supplement I relied on to fill in the blanks. But right now with my appetite suppressed, I'm just trying to eat enough. Anyway back in the saddle so that's good.

Buckfever
03-25-16, 11:26 am
3/25/2016

Deadlift

185X10

225X10X7sets

Notes: Nothing left.

Buckfever
03-25-16, 3:09 pm
3/25/2016 Afternoon

T-bar Rows

2PX10

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10X7sets

Notes:
A notch tighter on the belt.

Buckfever
03-27-16, 1:24 pm
3/27/2016

Standing Overhead Press

65X10

95X10

95X7X3 sets

95X5X5sets

Notes:
Forgot the gym closed at noon today. Didn't get to arms or abs.

Buckfever
03-29-16, 7:10 pm
3/29/2016

Squats

135X10

185X10

225X5,3,4,4

225X3X3sets

225X2X3sets

Calve Press

210X10

230X10

250X10

270X10

290X7

Notes: Eh. Felt like I was all over the place on the Squat. I'm going to try and Squat and Deadlift once a week. Instead of alternating every 5 days. I think I need more frequency we'll see if I can handle the recovery.

ibnmahama
03-30-16, 2:08 pm
keep up the hard work!

Buckfever
03-30-16, 2:44 pm
3/30

Bench
135X10

185X8

205X4X4sets

205X3

205X2X8sets

C.G Pulldowns

160X10

180X8

200X6

220X2X8sets

Notes: Bouncing back ok. Don't like being this weak. Feel like pushing. Determined.

Buckfever
03-30-16, 7:41 pm
3/30 P.M.

Standing Overhead Press

70X10

95X8

115X6

125X4X2sets

125X3X5sets

Tricep Pressdown

70X10

85X9

100X2,3,3,4

Curls

80X10

100X4

100X3X4sets

Incline Weighted Abs

25X12,9,6

Notes: I wanted to bench again on Sunday so I did a double and got the pressing out of the way. Lost a little on the arms and abs but those come back quick. Pressing is going fine.

Pale Rider
03-31-16, 11:11 pm
Nice work

Buckfever
04-01-16, 10:38 am
4/1

Quads are screaming, I'm going to push the deads/rows out to Sunday and the Bench/pulldowns out to Tuesday. All the enthusiasm in the world won't make me recover any faster. The muscles have filled out again since the virus so I took a weight today and I'm at 191.2 with the bodyfat reading the lowest it's been this year. The 6 pack summer goal remains, but my primary goal is to get materially stronger which I feel I have the base now to do. I'm a lot closer this year than I was last year so I'm not sure I need to get down all the way to 182 but we'll figure it out. Next date night is 4/23 so I'll reassess then. Still looking at the 4th of July as the goal date.

Buckfever
04-03-16, 3:57 pm
4/3/2016

Deadlift

225X10

245X10X5sets

245X6X3sets

Buckfever
04-03-16, 5:30 pm
4/3/16 P.M.

T-Bar Rows

2X10

2+25lbsX10

3X10

3+10lbsX10X5sets

3+10lbsX8,7

Notes: Because I needed more recovery I backed off on the intake for a few days and my weight dropped under 190. Interesting to me to see some here make these massive drops and what my experience suggests is that as you get stronger and your work capacity increases your metabolism also seems to go through the roof. I think there's something there. I look at the folks now who live on the elliptical or the treadmill for like I year I see them grinding away and they don't touch the weights and they don't look to make any progress. I'm sure they've made aerobic gains, but they sure haven't leaned up any. I think there's something here. It seems to me a much better strategy is to get on a weight lifting program first, develop a meal plan, do that for 6 months and then with the gains in work capacity and in metabolism, back off on the intake and add the aerobics and I think the results would be much more forth coming, for those looking to permanently lean up.

Buckfever
04-06-16, 12:27 pm
4/6/2016

Bench

135X8

185X6

215X3X6sets

215X2X6sets

C.G. Pulldown

180X8

200X6

220X4

220X3X2 sets

220X2X3sets

180X10

Notes: It's an ego thing just want to get back to 225 on the bench and I'll bake there.

Cellardweller
04-06-16, 2:39 pm
Notes: Because I needed more recovery I backed off on the intake for a few days and my weight dropped under 190. Interesting to me to see some here make these massive drops and what my experience suggests is that as you get stronger and your work capacity increases your metabolism also seems to go through the roof. I think there's something there. I look at the folks now who live on the elliptical or the treadmill for like I year I see them grinding away and they don't touch the weights and they don't look to make any progress. I'm sure they've made aerobic gains, but they sure haven't leaned up any. I think there's something here. It seems to me a much better strategy is to get on a weight lifting program first, develop a meal plan, do that for 6 months and then with the gains in work capacity and in metabolism, back off on the intake and add the aerobics and I think the results would be much more forth coming, for those looking to permanently lean up.

After my recent experience I'm sold on a steady diet of weight training and keeping the cardio as a side dish. It's also good to keep in mind that losing weight will only make you smaller while weight training will change the shape of your body.

Buckfever
04-06-16, 5:38 pm
4/6/16 p.m.

Standing Overhead Press

95X8

135X2X4 sets

135X1,2,1

115X4X4sets

Curls

70X10

90X6

110X3

90X6

90X4X5sets

Tricep Pressdowns

70X10

85X8

100X3

85X6X3 sets

85X5,6,6

Weighted Incline Abs

25lbsX14,10,7

Notes:
Abs are almost back. I haven't pressed 135 in years so I wanted to try it, needed more volume so the drop down set. I'll tell you I'm not crazy about these double upper body workouts. By the time I got to arms I was dragging. I want to see if I can cut out of work early on Tuesdays and spread it out a little.

Ed Eliason
04-06-16, 6:58 pm
4/3/16 P.M.

I think you are right on point with this.

Buckfever
04-08-16, 12:39 pm
4/8/16

Squats

135X10

185X10

225X8

245X4X4sets

245X3X7sets

Notes:
Deep in the hole. Ran out of time, calves later.

Buckfever
04-08-16, 5:02 pm
4/8/16

Calve Press

250X10

270X10

290X8

310X6

330X6

350X4,4

Other Calve press machine

110X12,12

Notes:

So this morning I couldn't finish because an older gentleman decided to park his arse on the leg press machine for 10+ minutes and my daughter needed the car. This afternoon I go back and it was free so I go at it. I'm not hogging up the machine I do my set and get off and rest giving others an opportunity to get on. Well this guy I guess figured I had gotten in enough sets so he gets on and sits on it not letting me work in. I suppose he was pissed that I was doing so many sets and he felt that I was hogging it. Anyway I just switched over to the other machine got a few more sets in and left. This morning I was squatting and a guy asked how many sets I had left and I said lots but please work in and eventually he did. When I was done he thanked me and I said that I actually prefer when someone works in and he agreed that he found it to be better. But I've noticed that this isn't something that is well received here, which strikes me as strange. Fortunately as I'm getting stronger and making more of a presence on the free weight side guys are talking to me and are more accommodating.

tzone
04-09-16, 4:01 pm
There's been several times when someone asked me how many more sets of squats in the rack, and I offered to share the rack if they would help me swap the plates downwards for their sets. One time, things were made easier when a guy was squatting what I was overhead pressing.

Buckfever
04-10-16, 5:31 pm
4/10/2016

C.G.Puldowns

180X8

200X6

220X4

240X2X5sets

200X6X3sets

Bench

135X8

185X6

225X2X8sets

205X4X2 sets

205X3X2sets

Notes:
I have no idea why I developed an obsession with pulling the stack on the pulldown machine. It seems a pretty random thing to focus on except that I've never seen anyone do it there, which again seems random as this is not a strength focused gym. I think it's more that I considered it once and knocked down the idea, which forced me to revisit it. And now I want it.

Felt like I sandbagged the Bench workout. It was my first day back at 225 and wanted to make sure I got the 8 sets of 2. Had to add the drop down sets because I just hadn't done enough.

Legs feel well worked from the Squats.

Buckfever
04-12-16, 6:05 pm
4/12/2016

Standing Overhead Press

95X8

135X3X2sets

135X2X4sets

135X1

115X4X4sets

Barbell Curls

70X8

90X6

110X3X3sets

90X6

90x4X2sets

Tricep Pressdown

70X10

85X10

100X4X3sets

85X8X2sets

85X7

Incline weighted abs
25lbsX16,9,6

Notes:
Woke up achy and was achy all day. Went anyway got an okay workout. Weight 189.6, still looking at 182, want to be quite a bit leaner.

weightsb4dates
04-12-16, 6:11 pm
nice work in the last few workouts, i havent gotten to deep into the past entries but it looks like you keep it pretty well updated in here. gonna sub and stick around. secondly i dont think its ridiculous to try and hit the entire stack on the pull down machine, that thing is heavy af, if you can pull it down you're a beast.

Buckfever
04-12-16, 6:34 pm
nice work in the last few workouts, i havent gotten to deep into the past entries but it looks like you keep it pretty well updated in here. gonna sub and stick around. secondly i dont think its ridiculous to try and hit the entire stack on the pull down machine, that thing is heavy af, if you can pull it down you're a beast.

Thanks man.

Buckfever
04-13-16, 12:51 pm
4/13/2016

Deadlift

225X10

275X10X3sets

275X6

275X4X4sets

Notes:
Curls the day before deadlifts is a bad idea. I have big hands so grip is never an issue. Well it was today. By the third working set my forearms were pumped. Probably too was too big a jump. This I think was only my 3rd workout back should of been at 260. Hopefully enough volume though to gain some. Sense of taste is almost back to normal, going to tighten up the meal plan and up the protein.

Buckfever
04-13-16, 3:47 pm
4/13/2016 P.M.

T-bar Rows

2P+25lbsX10

3PX10

3P+25lbsX10X3sets

3P+25lbsX7X4sets

3P+25X8

Notes:
Probably too big a jump but it went okay, back to pre virus levels. This is such a great movement for me as it targets the area where the spine was injured, really nails the thoracic spine/lower trap area. Should be hitting it once a week, but it interferes with my Pulldown obsession. I think the Pulldown thing has to do with the fact that it's a movement that is largely unimpeded by the injuries. And so when I see myself gain previous strength levels there, it encourages me to think that if I can continue to strengthen the damaged areas and rebuild the atrophied areas that regaining the strength is possible. If it can happen there, it can happen everywhere. I should sleep good tonight.

Buckfever
04-13-16, 3:56 pm
Meant to add this to the previous post but the edit feature is too fast for me. So my weight has been ranging between 189.6 and 191.2, I put the meal plan back in this past monday, the next date night is 4/26 so the goal will be to break through that range by then. Small incremental pushes as we head towards summer.

Buckfever
04-15-16, 12:13 pm
4/15/2016

Bench

135X10

185X8

225X3

225X2X7sets

215X3X2sets

C.G.Pulldowns

180X10

200X8

220X4

240X2

260(stack)Xfail

220X4X4sets

Notes: Need to find the groove on the bench. Not even close on the stack on the pulldowns. Weight: 191

Cellardweller
04-15-16, 4:31 pm
I look at the lat pulldown machine as a bodybuilding tool and not a strength tool. For me it's more important to get quality reps and feel it in my lats than it is to rep the stack. Most guys who do rep the stack are flopping around like a fish out of water and their low back probably is getting more of a workout than their lats. It becomes a show for everyone else and not building anything. I usually use 100-130lb and that's it.

Buckfever
04-16-16, 8:35 am
I look at the lat pulldown machine as a bodybuilding tool and not a strength tool. For me it's more important to get quality reps and feel it in my lats than it is to rep the stack. Most guys who do rep the stack are flopping around like a fish out of water and their low back probably is getting more of a workout than their lats. It becomes a show for everyone else and not building anything. I usually use 100-130lb and that's it.

I appreciate the concern. I think this is an excellent point that we don't want to sacrifice form in general. And while I'm not doing that, with these kinds of weights I am bringing my core into play to a larger extent to to keep myself tight during the movement. As far as the specific weights used. There's no way I can only use 130lbs at this point I'd be doing sets of 50. But I understand how it looks you being much stronger than me it doesn't make sense for me to be using these weights. But previously when I was strong I used to use 200 for 5 sets of 10 at several gyms and I don't perceive this stack to be light. I think it might just be that I'm so weak on all the other movements presently that this looks like an outlier. Or it could be that the pulley system on the equipment that you're using is such that your 100-130 is more like 200-260?

I'm not sure.

I am sure that I want to regain my strength on all the movements and part of that is pushing the structure to get it ready. I am not making a distinction on bodybuilding movements versus strength movements, I'm just trying to regain strength to as large a degree as I can before I'm too old.

But I do agree with the idea that periodically consolidating with periods of volume is very important and I do plan on doing that here shortly as I'm plateauing on the strength gains on this latest run.

Cellardweller
04-16-16, 2:28 pm
I am sure that I want to regain my strength on all the movements and part of that is pushing the structure to get it ready. I am not making a distinction on bodybuilding movements versus strength movements, I'm just trying to regain strength to as large a degree as I can before I'm too old.

And you're well on your way.

Buckfever
04-17-16, 2:05 pm
4/17/2016

Squat

135X10

185X10

225X8

275X2X3sets

245X4

245X3

245X2X5sets

Calve Press on Lifefitness legpress

250X5

270X5

290X5

310X8

330X6

350X6

370X6

390X3

400X3

320X10

Notes: Form was good on the Squats. Baby steps.