PDA

View Full Version : opinion on box squats

adharsh
04-17-15, 3:40 am
I've been struggling to increase my squat in the last 2 months. A friend of mine suggested high volume box squats..I would like to know what you guys did to increase it?

thanks

AJones148
04-17-15, 8:00 pm
I've heard and read that box squats are better for geared lifters.. But I lift raw and I've done them in past training cycles. I think it depends where your sticking point is. If you're weak out of the hole, I'd suggest paused squats. If you miss a few inches above parallel, maybe try squatting off pins, at that position..

I'm sure there's more variations you can use, and other people on here know more than me, but I know paused squats have made me much faster out the hole..

skibasgym
04-18-15, 7:43 pm
I am a firm believer in box squats for several reasons:

1. Everyone at Westside Barbell (strongest guys on earth) does box squats.

2. Since the box is at a set height and you consistently squat to that height, you are not wasting energy going deeper than the box and can accurately see your strength progress.

Jay Nera
04-26-15, 7:52 pm
Box squats are a tool.

They are not a tool that I use and the occasions for which i would consider using box squats on myself or my lifters is very rare.

I think it has a huge role in the world of geared lifting. This is because of HOW they squat.

THe majority of raw squatters do not squat with a very wide hip dominant squat but rather a narrower quad dominant style. I see NO place for a box squat with quad dominant squatting….unless the box squat is being used as a tool to develop the sumo deadlift.