PDA

View Full Version : First Meet Down

MikeHerman
04-19-15, 11:30 pm
Finished my first powerlifting meet yesterday at SPF Battle of the Bluegrass in Berea, KY. I finished the day with an 1,105 total at 160 lbs body weight. I went 6/9 with a 430 squat, 230 bench, and 445 deadlift. It's not the total that I wanted, but I did hit two PRs and it was a great experience for my first meet. SPF puts on a great meet, and I got to meet a bunch of guys that I've followed on social media for some time. I told myself I wasn't going to do anymore meets before leaving for basic training, but after such an awesome day, I have decided to do one more meet in June before I leave. I plan on going 9/9 at this one, and taking a more calculated approach to my attempts. My biggest concern was balancing cardio endurance and strength training, but I am certain I can balance it out and still make progress in both areas. Though I didn't do how I wanted, I'm still really happy with it because I left it all out there and had a great time doing it. Going to start a new training cycle in a few days and get some bigger numbers up in 8 weeks. Next stop is SPF Braggin' Rights on June 13th.

Gooners85
05-13-15, 9:39 pm
nice job, what were your missed attempts? What kind of total were you going for?

Christman
05-13-15, 9:53 pm
Can't wait to see how you do in June, looks like your training for it is on point.

ArmAndHammer
05-13-15, 9:59 pm
Did my first meet this past weekend...bench only but it was my first competition ever and it was a blast. I can't wait to get my wrist better so I can resume training and do a couple more this year. Hoping to get things up to snuff so I can do some full meets too. I wish I would have started this when I was young. Better late than never I guess.

MikeHerman
05-14-15, 3:31 pm
nice job, what were your missed attempts? What kind of total were you going for?

Missed attempts were my first 400 lbs squat for depth (got nervous and jumped the gun), a 245 bench, and a 465 deadlift. Didn't really have a number in mind. It was my first meet, so I wanted some numbers up. Really would have liked to reach Master Class with an 1,190 total, but it wasn't there. Trying for 1,200 in 4 weeks.