PDA

View Full Version : Vibram Five Fingers

Maccabee
06-01-15, 11:09 pm
Has anyone tried these?

I have some issues with my feet, ankles, and knee. I've read all over the internet that it can help tremendously.

KettleBellFreak
06-02-15, 3:28 am
Has anyone tried these?

I have some issues with my feet, ankles, and knee. I've read all over the internet that it can help tremendously.

Wore them lifting for a year, just don't do it man unless you've got the "supplements" to help your joints. Fish oils aren't going to cut it. Just do mobility and yoga stuff for ankles, calves and knees, roll your feet on tennis balls.

Seriously they hurt the fuck out of my feet and ankles.

GunRock
06-02-15, 9:09 am
I tried them and liked them especially when deadlifting and squatting. I spend a lot of time barefoot so they gave me an option for the places where you wouldn't want to do that. I hiked in them, ran, lifted etc. My wife runs triathlons in hers and she's had several foot surgeries.
Uncleboo56 has really bad ankles and after he tried them he was hooked. Wore them to compete in a strongman competition last month. Since arch support doesn't exist they tend to last longer too.
BUT if you aren't barefoot a lot already (seriously A LOT MEANS A LOT) you will want to build up slowly. Maybe 20 minutes at a time at first and the muscles of your feet and ankles will definitely make you pay.
So wearing Vibrams is like lifting weights and foam rolling etc is like stretching and massage.
Hope that helped.

JasonG
06-04-15, 1:13 pm
I've had mine for around 3 years I think. I wear them in the gym no matter what I train. When I used to run I would wear them as well. They make my calves and feet feel better due to the increased mobility. I'm doubt I will buy another pair though. I'm looking at a regular shoe with vibram soles. There's a few out there: NB, Merrill and forgot the third brand...

jabs2
06-04-15, 2:09 pm
I wore mine all the time before I ventured onto chucks/oly shoes. I wear them for my strongman/dynamic training stuff and I like them, just make sure to get the green ones (I forget which model they are) but they are much more durable as you will tear the ones made from a mesh material apart in one day guaranteed. I've worn mine for a spartan mud race a couple years ago and my calves were so sore I couldn't even get into my truck for 3 days, the lack of arch on them also has me worried if they are appropriate for the prowler type workouts as my arches do get quite sore.

BCent
06-04-15, 2:11 pm
I havent worn the 5 fingers, but I still rock the New Balance minimus. They have the Vibram sole, but still built like a shoe- I love the ability to really feel the floor when I'm lifting, and I personally feel like it made such a difference, I don't think I'll wear anything with a chunky sole to lift in again

GunRock
06-04-15, 8:37 pm
I havent worn the 5 fingers, but I still rock the New Balance minimus. They have the Vibram sole, but still built like a shoe- I love the ability to really feel the floor when I'm lifting, and I personally feel like it made such a difference, I don't think I'll wear anything with a chunky sole to lift in again

I'm in the market for another Vibram sole shoe so I can get back into short distance (3 miles or less) running with my wife after she has the baby. Just walking right now so Chucks are fine but after doing trail sprints in my Chucks a few times, I decided that running shoes were created for a reason. But, I don't want to run in mattresses ever again. None of the b.s. heavy arch support stuff that nearly destroyed my already decrepit knees and lower back. So, Vibrams, here I come.