PDA

View Full Version : Strength Program Help.

Boker
06-08-15, 1:53 pm
Hey everyone, I have been all over the web looking for a strength building program. I've always been one to do my own thing from just my general knowledge of lifting, 5-6 days a week. I've only been lifting seriously for about a year now. I'm 5'6 - 155lbs. I feel I put up decent weight for my size. Dead 375, Bench 265, Squat 305. I'm looking for a program that would increase all these and general strength. All my friends have been pushing the 5/3/1 at me. What do you guys think?

SomeDayI'llBeXL
06-09-15, 11:52 am
I don't know a thing about 531 aside from its name so I can't comment on that. I know Brandon Lilly (an Animal Athlete) has his own program, Tee Cummins and Pete Rubbish just laid out their programs in a recent interview they did for Animal, Dan Green has said how he lays out his split in multiple interviews over the last few years, all of these guys are strong as shit so you could take notes from them.

Those are just from the guys on this site, that doesn't include the Lilliebridge method, Sheiko(there are multiple templates), Smolov, Coan/Phillipi, Ortymyer, DUP, Bulgarian, I could go on an on. I don't think you have done as much reading as you think you have. I read on stuff daily and Ive been doing it for years now. Read up on all the ones Ive listed, find one that you'd think you would enjoy and kick ass for at least 12 weeks. Don't change anything, run it as written for a minimum of 3 months and then go from there.

I hope this helps

Reko
06-09-15, 4:18 pm
ill echo on the above poster a little bit and say as long as you are training hard, consistent, and pushing the weights up, you will continue to get stronger no matter what program you are using. It sounds like you have had pretty solid progress your first year with those numbers. Seems like it is working so I don't see the need to change anything if you like your training.

If, on the other hand, you are hitting a plateau or just want to change things up there are a lot of programs to chose from and there is likely a crew training with strength in mind someone near where you live that can really show you a thing or two.

Boker
06-09-15, 9:46 pm
As I was reading these reply I was looking at Brandon Lilly's Method. I am currently doing the Texas Method, the one thing I can say I don't like about this one it is only 3 days a week. I'm used to putting in the full week, I guess it's a habit I have to brake. I am going to read more into Brandon's stuff. Thank you for the responses.

Reko
06-10-15, 9:08 am
I have no idea what either of those methods/programs are, but I'll reiterate what I said before - if you are still progressing and getting stronger and you enjoy your training, don't change a thing.

If you are getting stronger while "putting in a full week" why change?

Aggression
06-10-15, 4:19 pm
There have been countless 'strength' programs out there for decades. Recently, with social media's help, every top lifter is coming out with his own 'program' and selling it in the form of an e-book or personal training via email. I've done a lot in my time ..

To name a few:
- WestSide
- 5/3/1
- DC Training
- Cube Method

Bottom line is that they've ALL worked for me. As long as you train hard and stick with 'it', then you'll get stronger. Each one of those methods I utilized helped me on the platform. In the end, you just have to find one that works and one that you enjoy doing ... and stick with it!

skibasgym
06-13-15, 7:35 pm
In my opinion, the Cube method is great for building strength and the Westside Program is phenomenal for building strength and peaking for a geared competition.

Aggression
06-15-15, 7:53 am
In my opinion, the Cube method is great for building strength and the Westside Program is phenomenal for building strength and peaking for a geared competition.

What about westside for a raw lifter, Skiba?

skibasgym
06-21-15, 4:15 pm
Westside for raw is the best. Most people think Westsiders mostly wear gear. Generally only with speed squats or max effort squats, you will see gear. Most of the nuances of the Westside program is attributed to switching of the bars and numerous conjugate exercises - these are the crux of the Westside Program. These exercises offer variety and multiple opportunities to set personal records. Great question!

PS - Thru Animal I'm hoping to do some Westside mini-seminars.