PDA

View Full Version : so many new training programs

skibasgym
06-11-15, 9:34 am
Which to choose from?The 531,The cube,Classsic periodizaton or even the most organized ad predictable for results The Westside method ala Lou Simmmons.
responses welcomed///
Henri..
skibasgym

Rex
06-23-15, 6:34 pm
Which to choose from?The 531,The cube,Classsic periodizaton or even the most organized ad predictable for results The Westside method ala Lou Simmmons.
responses welcomed///
Henri..
skibasgym

In think in Powerlifting a well planned out and sophisticated training program is a lot more critical than in Bodybuilding.
That being said I´ve heard a lot of good about The Westside Method. But I´ve never trained for powerlifting myself. That´s just what I´ve heard...

J Wong
06-28-15, 9:23 pm
Impossible to answer that question in my opinion since everybody responds to things different. I think lots of programs are great for the intermediate lifter such as 5/3/1, cube, etc etc

I'm not a fan of the conjugate method (westside) for beginners/intermediate lifters.

I do my own thing based on trial and error over the years. I use the 10/20/life (by Brian Carroll) principles as well to support my training as well. I know I am affiliated with him and the team he put together, but I definitely believe in the methods of the "program" as I've been using them myself even before his book was released! That being said, I don't really consider 10/20/life as a program...I consider it a set of principles that allows lifters to learn their bodies and customize their own training over time for themselves.

When it comes down to it, I really believe in just hammering the basics, doing accessory work that will help one's particular lifts based on their weak points, implementing planned deloads to prevent burn out/going backwards and doing a decent amount of reps in workouts until the meet gets close.

rainman
06-29-15, 2:14 pm
I keep seeing Jonnie Candito's programs getting rave reviews. It seems like a solid foundation and you can download them free on his site, although if I ever used them I would certainly use the optional donation to him as he does seem a genuine guy who wants to give back to the industry. Squats and deads in the same workout put me off slightly though.

I am currently running a Sheiko type of principal in my training as I have always been quite high volume, but use my own numbers. I may run one as Boris Sheiko intended, but they are pretty subjective to a particular athlete. A few guys have put a lot of effort in to a dedicated website and app, so if I do go full on Sheiko mode it shouldn't be too hard to get the numbers right though.

naturalguy
06-29-15, 3:22 pm
It's good and bad, I can see a beginner getting confused with the amount of programs available and I see a lot of people who are "program jumpers"

That being said there are some really good programs out there.

Aggression
06-29-15, 3:44 pm
It's good and bad, I can see a beginner getting confused with the amount of programs available and I see a lot of people who are "program jumpers"

That being said there are some really good programs out there.

Hello, my name is Aggression and I'm a 'program jumper'. I've done a lot of programs out there. Over the last few years, I've switched back and forth from 5/3/1, Cube, and a Conjugate system (Westside). I enjoy doing all of them and I see results from all of them. I just like change. So I'll run a 10 week cube cycle and then plug my new 'prs' into a 5/3/1 template, run that for a few months, test my numbers, then go into westside, etc. Rinse and repeat to keep things fresh. There's things I like about all of them. I'm no pro powerlifter, nor will i ever be. So I'm going to have a good time in the gym, with whatever program i happen to be running at the time.

naturalguy
06-29-15, 4:53 pm
Hello, my name is Aggression and I'm a 'program jumper'. I've done a lot of programs out there. Over the last few years, I've switched back and forth from 5/3/1, Cube, and a Conjugate system (Westside). I enjoy doing all of them and I see results from all of them. I just like change. So I'll run a 10 week cube cycle and then plug my new 'prs' into a 5/3/1 template, run that for a few months, test my numbers, then go into westside, etc. Rinse and repeat to keep things fresh. There's things I like about all of them. I'm no pro powerlifter, nor will i ever be. So I'm going to have a good time in the gym, with whatever program i happen to be running at the time.

I am guilty as well

Jay Nera
06-29-15, 11:09 pm
In think in Powerlifting a well planned out and sophisticated training program is a lot more critical than in Bodybuilding.

Its nice to hear a bodybuilder say this.

Jay Nera
06-29-15, 11:15 pm
Of course theres the obvious statement " A shitty program done with intensity and consistency will out perform a perfect program done with lack of discipline and intensity."

That being said.
If you are looking at other peoples programs you are likely a beginner or intermediate level lifter, at that point of the strength/time curve or diminishing returns curve things do not need to be super precise…that is..you do not need that perfect program to make gains…

my suggestion is to take a look at the programs that look the most fun to do…the ones that you will be the most enthusiastic to try…. and that you will do the best on that program. Its one of those "you get what you put in" situations…. the alternative would be to find a coach, and this is the most superior way to make gains imo. My lifters pass through barriers quickly because they do not have to suffer the obstacles that i've had to sweat to learn from.