PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training(Cyclist)

dergrinch20
06-29-15, 7:17 pm
Hey Everyboy

I´m a road cyclist and i want to introduce some Strength/Powerlifting Training to get stronger and to improving my sprints. I want to combine both worlds. Road cyclists are encouraged to be very light, but strength is still important to reducing central fatigue/neuromuscular fatigue and greater stability on the bike.

I´m riding 5-6 days a week. Each ride is 2-5 hours long. Sometimes i´ll do some short intensive(sprinting) rides and i want to train 3-4 days in the gym.

I don't want to gain to much mass. I only want to get stronger for sprints and to be a healthy human being. I want to combine both worlds. Powerlifting and cycling.
What Strength Program could you recommend?

Jay Nera
06-30-15, 12:15 am
Hey Everyboy

I´m a road cyclist and i want to introduce some Strength/Powerlifting Training to get stronger and to improving my sprints. I want to combine both worlds. Road cyclists are encouraged to be very light, but strength is still important to reducing central fatigue/neuromuscular fatigue and greater stability on the bike.

I´m riding 5-6 days a week. Each ride is 2-5 hours long. Sometimes i´ll do some short intensive(sprinting) rides and i want to train 3-4 days in the gym.

I don't want to gain to much mass. I only want to get stronger for sprints and to be a healthy human being. I want to combine both worlds. Powerlifting and cycling.
What Strength Program could you recommend?

When I trained in Japan there was a group of professional velodrome cyclists who trained at my gym. They had normal upper bodies but HUGE legs. They would do tons of piston style squats, never going deep, never standing up all the way, always keeping tension in the quads. about 2-3 plates for MINUTES of these piston reps…same on the leg press.

dergrinch20
06-30-15, 6:07 pm
When I trained in Japan there was a group of professional velodrome cyclists who trained at my gym. They had normal upper bodies but HUGE legs. They would do tons of piston style squats, never going deep, never standing up all the way, always keeping tension in the quads. about 2-3 plates for MINUTES of these piston reps…same on the leg press.

I know a bit about the training of the Tour Pro Teams. They are 3-4 days in the gym and they do some variations of the Coinjugate System and they have different phases. Like Strength and explosive phase. So how would you program the conjugate system or do you know a better program?