PDA

View Full Version : kettle bell swings

greatkeen
07-07-15, 1:56 am
HI fellas, lately i have been hearing a lot about kettle bell swings. I gave it a shot in my last workout too. Didn't really feel them in any particular muscle area but yeah they exhausted me good. Did 20 reps - 10 sec rest & repeated 4 times. Used 10 Kg bell.

Wandering what u guys have to say abt them, are they any good from hypertrophy point of view ? IF so which muscle do they primarily hit ?

Or may be just keep them as conditioning workout etc ?

Thanks guys

Nmowery
07-07-15, 10:27 pm
Definitely something I consider more of a cardio/conditioning exercise. Due to there usually being fairly light weights involved while using most major muscle groups, they suck for building strength but are great for getting your heart rate up. I'm one of those people who absolutely hates running and other monotonous forms of cardio, so I'll do these in a circuit with box jumps and burpees when I'm not feeling too lazy to actually do cardio.

(20 kettle swings + 15 box jumps + 10 burpees)*as many rounds as you can stand = fml

KettleBellFreak
07-13-15, 8:07 pm
Definitely something I consider more of a cardio/conditioning exercise. Due to there usually being fairly light weights involved while using most major muscle groups, they suck for building strength but are great for getting your heart rate up. I'm one of those people who absolutely hates running and other monotonous forms of cardio, so I'll do these in a circuit with box jumps and burpees when I'm not feeling too lazy to actually do cardio.

(20 kettle swings + 15 box jumps + 10 burpees)*as many rounds as you can stand = fml

I would disagree with this almost entirely. While yes they can be turned into cardio with loose form, you can load a heavy kb off of a plyo box or bench and perform the movement in a controlled fashion with heavier weights it builds grip strength, strong shoulder mobility and strength in the hips and glutes

greatkeen
07-15-15, 12:44 am
Thanks Guys, i have included them in all my workout days, towards the end . I also am not a cardio person and thus hoping could cover for with KB swings with decent weight and very moderate Vol and frequency.

skibasgym
07-17-15, 1:52 pm
KBs can have many uses/benefits. I personally use them for a cardio/ab/stretching combo.

Jay Nera
08-27-15, 12:19 am
A powerlifter using a 10kg kettle bell…ayyyyyye

Use at least a 32 kg bell. When I would do my swings I would do 48kg for 15-25 slightly higher than my head…I'm not saying that i expect you to do the same, just that you can't be shy to push it a little. We don't even make our men in crossfit swing something that light.

JHOORNSTRA
09-03-15, 9:24 pm
A powerlifter using a 10kg kettle bell…ayyyyyye

Use at least a 32 kg bell. When I would do my swings I would do 48kg for 15-25 slightly higher than my head…I'm not saying that i expect you to do the same, just that you can't be shy to push it a little. We don't even make our men in crossfit swing something that light.

I agree, we make the women in our bootcamps we run do about that for sets of 50...they're a good change, works a lot of different muscle groups.

Rex
09-19-15, 10:39 am
HI fellas, lately i have been hearing a lot about kettle bell swings. I gave it a shot in my last workout too. Didn't really feel them in any particular muscle area but yeah they exhausted me good. Did 20 reps - 10 sec rest & repeated 4 times. Used 10 Kg bell.

Wandering what u guys have to say abt them, are they any good from hypertrophy point of view ? IF so which muscle do they primarily hit ?

Or may be just keep them as conditioning workout etc ?

Thanks guys

Definitely NOT going to get any gains from that. Trust me...

Jay Nera
09-28-15, 2:01 pm
To give an idea, when i did them I would do them after deadlifting, and I would use a 48kg for sets of 20-25. 2-3 sets and your entire posterior chain is cooked.

I would agree with Rex in that they aren't really going to create hypertrophy, but they will definitely build up the conditioning and work capacity in your posterior chain.