PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gainers

Orthodox
07-17-15, 8:14 am
Im just throwing something out there for all the youngsters who do not have alot of money.

If you could choose between say, one of the top supplement companies Weight Gainers or make your own, what would you choose? I tell you guys, the homemade Weight Gainer wins hands down. You might think, "well the top supplement companies Weight Gainer has things init, that mine just won't have."

What? Yeah, Chemicals, sugars. You're then say, " Na, theirs has got secret ingredients in. They must have that's why they cost so much! You get what you pay for..."

LISTEN. Its ok to experiment with sups like pre workouts when your training goes abit stale. But when it comes to nutrients, there will never ever be anything out there that can touch real food. Go to your grossery store, get your self some:

•oatmeal
•eggs
•peanut butter
•bananas

That's all your ever need. The quality of these ingredients will blow away the cheap as extracts found in a supplement companies weight gainers, all day long. Their cheaper, healthier, and 3 times more affective. You can also costumize your own shake. You wanna bulk up further, just add another spoon of oatmeal. You wanna change the taste, just add another fruit.

Thanks guys

Nmowery
07-17-15, 11:07 am
Honestly I think a lot of people don't read ingredient labels with this sort of thing. All of the mass/weight gaining products I've checked out have simply taken that company's existing protein powder, added powdered carbs and flavoring, then tripled the price.

intoodeep25
07-17-15, 11:28 am
Im just throwing something out there for all the youngsters who do not have alot of money.

If you could choose between say, one of the top supplement companies Weight Gainers or make your own, what would you choose? I tell you guys, the homemade Weight Gainer wins hands down. You might think, "well the top supplement companies Weight Gainer has things init, that mine just won't have."

What? Yeah, Chemicals, sugars. You're then say, " Na, theirs has got secret ingredients in. They must have that's why they cost so much! You get what you pay for..."

LISTEN. Its ok to experiment with sups like pre workouts when your training goes abit stale. But when it comes to nutrients, there will never ever be anything out there that can touch real food. Go to your grossery store, get your self some:

•oatmeal
•eggs
•peanut butter
•bananas

That's all your ever need. The quality of these ingredients will blow away the cheap as extracts found in a supplement companies weight gainers, all day long. Their cheaper, healthier, and 3 times more affective. You can also costumize your own shake. You wanna bulk up further, just add another spoon of oatmeal. You wanna change the taste, just add another fruit.

Thanks guys

AMEN! I start every morning with this staple of a shake:

-16oz whole milk
-huge scoop of pb
-1 cup oats
-1 or 2 serving of liquid egg whites
-honey
-banana
-vanilla/chocolate swirl icecream
-wheat germ
-1 scoop whey protein

Immediate surge of nutrients right when I pop out of bed. Doesn't hurt that it tastes delicious!

Experimenting with shakes is super fun too. I used vanilla whey with some cinnamon toast crunch thrown in for while. Tasted awesome.

Lightnin'
07-17-15, 12:13 pm
Honestly I think a lot of people don't read ingredient labels with this sort of thing. All of the mass/weight gaining products I've checked out have simply taken that company's existing protein powder, added powdered carbs and flavoring, then tripled the price.

Yep, exactly

Adding fruit... Another scoop of Oats... Is easy changes flavors and will save your ass a ton of green!

Cellardweller
07-18-15, 11:20 am
I used vanilla whey with some cinnamon toast crunch thrown in for while. Tasted awesome.

That sounds off the hook.

intoodeep25
07-18-15, 1:14 pm
That sounds off the hook.

Its freakin delicious. I added some vanilla bean icecream to thicken it up a little with the whey and cinnamon toast crunch. Very scrumptious shake I must say!

ganderson
07-18-15, 5:56 pm

•oatmeal
•eggs
•peanut butter
•bananas

Thanks guys

Couldn't agree more with this. The 4 ingredients above are staples and adding whatever you want in makes it your own and interesting. I have a shake like this almost once a day. Not only is this more cost effective, but I feel a shake like this > above a weight gainer for sure.

Lightnin'
07-19-15, 3:03 pm
Its freakin delicious. I added some vanilla bean icecream to thicken it up a little with the whey and cinnamon toast crunch. Very scrumptious shake I must say!

Add some Splenda and a few shakes of cinnamon.

rainman
07-19-15, 6:01 pm
Avocados in protein shakes are currently where I'm at. I'm not ashamed to admit that I stole the idea from a recent Animal Whey article on BB.com either. That's an extra 300 calories right away.

insatiableOne
07-20-15, 10:47 am
An excerpt from DR. John Heinerman, Ph.D. - Just a rough translation

When he designed drugs for companies he would only use two or three herbs. The rest on the label were placebo's.
(To look impressive)

G Diesel
07-20-15, 12:05 pm
Agreed man. I like pre-mixed gainers for convenience. Lately I've been making a shake every morning that is 3 scoops of gainer in 10 oz of milk. Fast and easy, keeps my protein and calories up (750+ calories, 70 grams of protein).

But as far as blending a home brew goes, I've always enjoyed this recipe, perfectly combining protein powder with whole foods...

12 oz milk
2 scoops whey
1 banana
1/2 cup oats
1 TBSP natural peanut butter

Peace, G

Orthodox
07-20-15, 2:00 pm
Agreed man. I like pre-mixed gainers for convenience. Lately I've been making a shake every morning that is 3 scoops of gainer in 10 oz of milk. Fast and easy, keeps my protein and calories up (750+ calories, 70 grams of protein).

But as far as blending a home brew goes, I've always enjoyed this recipe, perfectly combining protein powder with whole foods...

12 oz milk
2 scoops whey
1 banana
1/2 cup oats
1 TBSP natural peanut butter

Peace, G

'Milk...' How can I forget that? Forgive me you guys

G Diesel
07-20-15, 3:12 pm
'Milk...' How can I forget that? Forgive me you guys

A lot of bodybuilders don't drink milk.

But for my purposes, I like the taste, extra protein and calories and how it improves the consistency of my shakes. Been drinking it consistently my entire lifting life.

Peace, G

insatiableOne
07-25-15, 4:32 am
A lot of bodybuilders don't drink milk.

Been drinking it consistently my entire lifting life.

Peace, G

I sincerely hope you do a kidney cleanse every now & again. I do not want stones, do you?? Not to mention milk is nowhere in the European culture diet, Africa yes, Paleo .. well, no.

Want strong bones, parsley is your friend, Scottish warriors used it to mend broken skulls during times of war.

I'm with the you don't need milk after being a baby. All the beneficial vitamins and such are lost through pasteurization process, thus making it useless. Needing to pump the vitamins back in that you can source better elsewhere.
Not to mention rBGH hormones in it, even Organic milk is mostly not organic, or mixed half and half at best.

The biochemical make-up of cow's milk is perfectly suited to turn a 65-pound newborn calf into a 400-pound cow in one year. It contains, for example, three times more protein and seven times more mineral content while human milk has 10 times as much essential fatty acids, three times as much selenium, and half the calcium.

Milk is actually a poor source for dietary calcium. Humans, like cows, get all the calcium they need from a plant-based diet.

"It is still widely accepted that the calcium in dairy products will strengthen our bones and help prevent osteoporosis, but studies show that foods originating from animal sources (like milk) make the blood acidic. When this occurs, the blood leeches calcium from the bones to increase alkalinity. While this works wonders for the pH balance of your blood, it sets your calcium-depleted bones up for osteoporosis."

Cellardweller
07-25-15, 11:44 am
I'm of the mind to not over think my food. Almost every box of cereal on the shelves is "vitamin fortified" as well as rice and god knows how many other products. Veggies can be genetically modified, covered in chemicals and often cause ecoli and salmonella outbreaks more often than meat. As for meat it can also be genetically modified and fed antibiotics and hormones. What's the difference between drinking vitamin fortified milk and taking an Animal Pak everyday? Useing whey? You can say eat this and not that, but really what's the difference? If there weren't billions of mouths to feed on this planet it would be different. Just eat. It's too depressing to over think it. It's like the vid Powerlifting the Mentality. Don't be that guy all concerned about the CNS and say you're going to break down. We're all going to be in a wheelchair someday. All of us. No matter what you eat. Fuck your elbow.

Rex
07-25-15, 6:15 pm
6 whole eggs
2 scoops Animal Whey (Cookies and Cream)
1 cup of oats (dry)

This is the basic mixture. It´s very thick and almost like reall cookie dough
You are free to add milk if desired

For extra calories add a couple of real cookies. White chocolate Macadamia nut are my favorite, by the way...

(You can also turn this thing into some awesome pancakes of waffles!!!)

skibasgym
07-26-15, 5:33 pm
Great thoughts.

G Diesel
07-27-15, 9:20 am
6 whole eggs
2 scoops Animal Whey (Cookies and Cream)
1 cup of oats (dry)

This is the basic mixture. It´s very thick and almost like reall cookie dough
You are free to add milk if desired

For extra calories add a couple of real cookies. White chocolate Macadamia nut are my favorite, by the way...

(You can also turn this thing into some awesome pancakes of waffles!!!)

I can't necessarily imagine drinking that, but using it for pancakes or waffles sounds amazing.

Good call, Roman.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-11-15, 11:05 am

Cant disagree at all with anythin ya said here brotha. Whole foods top supps when it comes to bulkin, no doubt about it. Without adequate whole foods in ur diet, ur never gonna add quality weight. Ur also rite in that "weight gainers" dont have "secret ingredients" or secret powers or secret abilities or secret anythin to help ya gain weight in 2 days or 2 months. Thats pure marketing BS. Sadly, this is how most supp companies operate... They try to convince consumers that weight gainers are magic nutritional shortcuts in a bottle. But we all know that just aint true.

What ya get for ur money tho aint the quality.

That said, I dont necessarily agree with ur equation here. A weight gainer can have "quality" ingredients. But it will never have the same "nutritional" quality as whole foods. In other words, this is a wrong comparison. Weight gainers shouldnt be compared to food as they will always lose out. See cuz weight gainers arent mean to be "food", they should never REPLACE food (esp when it comes to freshness, wholesomeness, quality, etc). Thats where most get confused. They think its an either/or choice. The prob is, many newbs, mebbe because of that misleading marketing I pointed out earlier, think they can just replace a meal with a shake and call it quits. So wut ends up happenin is, they begin to rely too much on shakes. Big mistake. As I said earlier, ya need whole foods, and lots of it, to gain quality weight... Not shakes.

So then, why use shakes at all? Heres wut it comes down to. Ya dont use a shake to REPLACE WHOLE FOOD. Ya use a shake to ADD CALORIES TO UR WHOLE FOOD DIET. Listen, if ya eat 6 squares a day, and those 6 consist of quality protein like beef and chicken, plus great carbs sources, guess wut? For many, ur gonna feel full. All the time. Some wont or cant power thru that, and eat more. Now Ima guessin, many bulking goals for many lifters will fail precisely for this reason. They dont think they can eat more, so they dont and they dont get weight. They get frustrated and then they quit.

In this very specific case, for this type of guy, a shake can help. Why? Cuz it will deliver the CALORIES without necessarily delivering that full feeling, the kind that prevents ya from eatin that next whole food meal. So in other words, a shake will help you reach your calorie goals for the day... the calorie goals you need to surpass to put you in a position to actually gain the weight. I could go on about the convenience of shakes, but Ive gone on way to long already.

In short, whole foods > shakes. Always is, always will be. But that dont mean theres no room for pre-made shakes either, at least for sum folks who want fast-acting, fast-absorbing cals and protein, etc.