PDA

View Full Version : Training Partners

Orthodox
07-20-15, 10:22 am
Just a little something for the beginner to ponder...

TRAINING PARTNER... Good idea, bad idea?

There are many ways to look at this. The best way to determine whether you should have a training partner is to think about your reasons? What are they? If its to say depend on them for anything, then personally, this is not a good reason. Forget all this, " Yeah, where in this together crap..." You ain't. In bodybuilding, where all in this alone. You eat alone, you sleep alone and you grow alone. I'm not talking about, someone spotting you, all though personally, POWERLIFTING a side, I do not believe in spotters. You got a Legion of Angels to help you should you need assitance. You got you lifting straps. You got your belt for all that. PAIN!!! That's my training partner. That's who I eat, sleep and train with. PAIN... Let's me know where I should be, where I'm at and where I'm going, what I should be doing and of course-how to best do it.

Other side of the coin, if your lucky enough to find a person that you connect with, why not train with them? Think... Your bodysx are not the same, your personal lives are maybe different hence your meals and timibg could be different also. This could be an issue when it comes to energy levels and the length of time you could train. What muscle are you training? Is it his strong and your weak? Are your goal!s the same but most importantly...

IS HE YOUR KIND OF PERSON OUT OF THE GYM . DO YOU GEL?

"Whys this important you May's say? I only care how he lifts."

WRONG!!!!!!!!! Couldn't be more important. If he is a rat scum bag out of the gym then it will i inevitably spill over into the gym. His phone starts to to going. His mouth starts going, followed by his mind D and now you got a problem. Think, is he GIVING OR TAKING FROM ME? energy wise. If his taking and not giving. Your have a problem.

Just throwing something out there guys.

Rex
07-20-15, 5:52 pm
I have always trained alone and I like it that way. I don´t like depending on or putting trust in other people.

There are some exceptions in my very close circle of friends, of course. But all of them live to far away to train together...

rainman
07-20-15, 6:14 pm
I think it depends on how you train. I have always been a solitary soul in the gym. I run a Sheiko style of training, where I approach a bar expecting to hit X amount of pre determined weight/ reps and very rarely fail a lift. I don't slouch, regularly repping 90% of my estimated 1 rep max in training cycles, but need to bring the mentality to the bar that I can do the set due to my lack of training partner. Training at quite a small gym, I always have a few decent guys around at any one time, should I ever need a spot, but I like doing my own thing most of the time.

The one instance where I would think a training partner was absolutely necessary was if you were embarking on a Dorian Yates 'Blood & Guts' style of workout and, even then, they would have to know you implicitly. Spotting is an art form, (as skillful as lifting itself I would argue), and when you start to mess around with forced reps and negatives there is no way in hell I'd call over some random bro to spot me. I'd need 100% confidence in them.

Swolepez
07-20-15, 9:51 pm
Do you have a certain training partmer that can bring out the best from you..more then you can bring out yourself? Then use that training partner and return the favor...

If no trainer is going to make you any better in any fashion, then lift alone..

Cellardweller
07-20-15, 10:07 pm
Just a little something for the beginner to ponder...

TRAINING PARTNER... Good idea, bad idea?

There are many ways to look at this. The best way to determine whether you should have a training partner is to think about your reasons? What are they? If its to say depend on them for anything, then personally, this is not a good reason. Forget all this, " Yeah, where in this together crap..." You ain't. In bodybuilding, where all in this alone. You eat alone, you sleep alone and you grow alone. I'm not talking about, someone spotting you, all though personally, POWERLIFTING a side, I do not believe in spotters. You got a Legion of Angels to help you should you need assitance. You got you lifting straps. You got your belt for all that. PAIN!!! That's my training partner. That's who I eat, sleep and train with. PAIN... Let's me know where I should be, where I'm at and where I'm going, what I should be doing and of course-how to best do it.

Other side of the coin, if your lucky enough to find a person that you connect with, why not train with them? Think... Your bodysx are not the same, your personal lives are maybe different hence your meals and timibg could be different also. This could be an issue when it comes to energy levels and the length of time you could train. What muscle are you training? Is it his strong and your weak? Are your goal!s the same but most importantly...

IS HE YOUR KIND OF PERSON OUT OF THE GYM . DO YOU GEL?

"Whys this important you May's say? I only care how he lifts."

WRONG!!!!!!!!! Couldn't be more important. If he is a rat scum bag out of the gym then it will i inevitably spill over into the gym. His phone starts to to going. His mouth starts going, followed by his mind D and now you got a problem. Think, is he GIVING OR TAKING FROM ME? energy wise. If his taking and not giving. Your have a problem.

Just throwing something out there guys.

Great post.

I've only really had 2 partners in the gym. Schooling seperated us both times. I train alone and pretty much like that. I can focus and not be distracted. I don't have to worry about being chatty. The only time I miss a partner is maybe on heavy bench. It would be nice for my shoulder's sake to have a lift off sometimes and a safety net.

Jay Nera
08-27-15, 12:15 am
I almost always end up training alone. Im a powerlifter not a bodybuilder. The only time that i would really benefit is having a hand off on the bench press, but other than that, because i squat in a cage, and you can drop a deadlift anytime, a training partner istn necessary…. but also, i have a high degree of intrinsic motivation. I think it boils down to whether not you are motivated on your own, work well alone or prefer a team, do exercises or training styles that need a partner. For example, I could not imagine getting the true benefits of Mentzner style rest pauses with out a training partner because i wouldn't be able to get those crucial reps in that make the world of difference.

JHOORNSTRA
09-03-15, 9:32 pm
Yeah I agree, I need them for liftoffs, etc. Other than that, it pushes me to get that one more rep, maybe I had a hard 3rd rep and was supposed to do 4, it's the confidence that they'll be there to push no matter what. I know this may shock you, but I'm not that flexible in my shoulders and chest...so I hate..hate failing on squats and having to bail. F...that...so I need a spot. It just keeps me more on track, otherwise unless I'm amped up, it's 100 degrees with humidity feeling like 115 and I am alone, I don't go as hard.

J Wong
09-07-15, 11:15 pm
I prefer training with a team, especially during meet prep. It creates a great atmosphere and I prefer to hand spots! It also helps not having to load and take off every single plate.

I do go through phases where I prefer to train alone (offseason, deload days, etc) because I enjoy a faster pace.

JHOORNSTRA
09-09-15, 5:07 pm
I agree, I think optimal for me would be a team, have 2-3 workout partners now but just have to travel between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours everyday to lift...

J Wong
09-10-15, 2:12 pm
I agree, I think optimal for me would be a team, have 2-3 workout partners now but just have to travel between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours everyday to lift...

Just a heads up....very good chance I will be attending UCF in 2016.

BCent
09-10-15, 3:29 pm
I often find myself training alone, even if I go to the gym with my buddies. Often times we'll walk in and all go to different corners of the gym, based on what we planned on hitting that day. While I get jealous at times watching things like Pumping Iron and seeing all the camaraderie that those guys had, it's just not feasible for me with the life that I'm in...

Orthodox
09-11-15, 6:04 am
I often find myself training alone, even if I go to the gym with my buddies. Often times we'll walk in and all go to different corners of the gym, based on what we planned on hitting that day. While I get jealous at times watching things like Pumping Iron and seeing all the camaraderie that those guys had, it's just not feasible for me with the life that I'm in...

Peace to you BCent

It's funny that you mentioned the camaraderie that Arnoald had with those guys in Bumping Iron, because when intianally wrote this post, that was what I had in the back of my mind!

I love watching that documentary. Those days seem so simple and peaceful. A life of Bodybuilding, a life of achieving your goals where anything is possible. The camaraderie that you speak of was so sincere. I mean intense. Powerful. You only have to hear Arnoald speak of those days( like in the Blueprint) and you smile with inspiration. The unity was strong. Not just in the gym but outside also. These guys did there cardio together, running along Venice beach, to and from the gym together. They trained together and they then eat together. They bung out together, sunbathing on the beach and not to forget, stepped on stage and competed together.

It was a wonderful time, well era i guess in Bodybuilding. The game was pure then. Very little supplements, minimal drug usage and their body's looked better. Small muscle belly's, thin waistsetc. Oh those days are gone bro. But I would have them back again

Journey well

JHOORNSTRA
09-12-15, 10:29 pm
Just a heads up....very good chance I will be attending UCF in 2016.

nice man, it's not too slammed, decent equipment for what we need...mostly, but very motivating...

Rex
09-13-15, 10:26 am
I´d say it depends.
If your training partner is as determined as you are and both of you are benefiting from training with each other, that´s perfect.
If the guy is always late, checks his phone during workouts and hinders you from getting the best sessions possible, you´re better off by yourself.

Jay Nera
10-31-15, 9:38 pm

Is that because you need two or three people to lift off that ridiculous bench press?

JHOORNSTRA
11-05-15, 2:16 pm
haha, no...I really only like one solid one man lift...side spotters to help him if I strain/rip/etc something. But it's never balanced. Just the odds of 1-2 making it to workout are better if it's 1-2 out of 5-6.

JHOORNSTRA
11-05-15, 2:16 pm
Someone always has some shit going on...

D Monstah
11-20-15, 11:17 pm
I have always found if you have a training partner with similar goals and mentality towards training styles then your results are fantastic.
However if you team up with someone new or without goals you become more of a trainer than partner.. Then your results will suffer.

skibasgym
11-21-15, 5:24 pm
I have always found if you have a training partner with similar goals and mentality towards training styles then your results are fantastic.
However if you team up with someone new or without goals you become more of a trainer than partner.. Then your results will suffer.

Excellent point. I recently started training occasionally with a new partner, and the new ideas he brings is working out great!