PDA

View Full Version : How to Deload

AJones148
11-19-15, 2:51 pm
Obviously I've deloaded before and read plenty of things about it, and what I usually do is a low % of my 1rm on the main lifts, then lighter less volume accessory work. That seems to be the general consensus of how to deload...

But I read something from Chad Wesley Smith where he says when deloading mid strength-block, keep the weight heavy and the volume low (50%) for the main lifts. I was wondering if anyone has tried to deload this way and if so, did you feel rested and ready to hit the weights hard once this type of deload was over?

Also, discuss any advantages or disadvantages to deloading this way as opposed to the standard less weight and less volume deload. I don't run the Juggernaut program, so I guess I don't really have to deload like CWS does, but that guy is strong as hell and seems to know what hes doing, so I'm considering it..

Please respond, I only have a few days to figure this out, my deload starts next Monday..

GunRock
11-25-15, 1:02 am
Obviously I've deloaded before and read plenty of things about it, and what I usually do is a low % of my 1rm on the main lifts, then lighter less volume accessory work. That seems to be the general consensus of how to deload...

But I read something from Chad Wesley Smith where he says when deloading mid strength-block, keep the weight heavy and the volume low (50%) for the main lifts. I was wondering if anyone has tried to deload this way and if so, did you feel rested and ready to hit the weights hard once this type of deload was over?

Also, discuss any advantages or disadvantages to deloading this way as opposed to the standard less weight and less volume deload. I don't run the Juggernaut program, so I guess I don't really have to deload like CWS does, but that guy is strong as hell and seems to know what hes doing, so I'm considering it..

Please respond, I only have a few days to figure this out, my deload starts next Monday..

I don't know think that's in TJM 2.0 which is the version I have. It makes sense in terms of the overall workload but if you're trying to let your nervous system recharge, I don't think it would be a good idea. So if you've been working close to your max for the strength cycle then I would say no. But it can be a way to deload if you've been doing high volume lower intensity work because as long as you watch the sets to reps to weight ratio the overall volume is less.

In the Juggernaut Method 2.0 CWS recommends a deload of 40%, 50% and 60% based upon the working max from the cycle you just finished. In my opinion you should come off a deload, hungry to hit the weights hard again but if you're prepping for a meet, you might not want to deload until you get close to the meet.

You might want to shoot this question to somebody like Jay Nera or J. Wong in their Q&A threads for the next time you're ready to deload.

AJones148
11-25-15, 3:19 pm
I don't know think that's in TJM 2.0 which is the version I have. It makes sense in terms of the overall workload but if you're trying to let your nervous system recharge, I don't think it would be a good idea. So if you've been working close to your max for the strength cycle then I would say no. But it can be a way to deload if you've been doing high volume lower intensity work because as long as you watch the sets to reps to weight ratio the overall volume is less.

In the Juggernaut Method 2.0 CWS recommends a deload of 40%, 50% and 60% based upon the working max from the cycle you just finished. In my opinion you should come off a deload, hungry to hit the weights hard again but if you're prepping for a meet, you might not want to deload until you get close to the meet.

You might want to shoot this question to somebody like Jay Nera or J. Wong in their Q&A threads for the next time you're ready to deload.

Thanks for responding.. I ended up workin up to 75% but the volume was really low. I'm hoping by the time its time for me to deload again, I'll have Steve to tell me what to do. So far, I've worked up to 82.5% this cycle, so the 75% isn't much less, but I only did a single with it on squats and 2 doubles on bench.. Tomorrow I'll pull and I'm thinking maybe I'll pull conventional to give myself a break from sumo.. Not sure how heavy I'll go up, but I'll probably do singles or at most a double or 2.. And tbh I know its only been a few days but I'm already gettin hungry to kill the weights. I'm off tomorrow and Friday and I think the biggest challenge I'll have tomorrow is not saying fuck it and pulling heavy, and Friday is Black Friday so I am gonna board bench to a 1rm, and just do lighter or less accessories..

skibasgym
11-27-15, 7:29 pm
Sounds good. Keep to your plan; it's always tempting to say fuck it and forget your plan.