PDA

View Full Version : When you enter the Gym

Orthodox
11-23-15, 12:56 am
When you walk into your Gym, remember who you are, not what your doing. Before you put your hands upon any piece of Iron, make sure your soul is right. If your thinking about what your about to do then you are not ready to lift my friend. Odds are your about to lift some unbelievable poundage so you are gonna need the assistance of the Divine. Taping in to this kind of strength will require your mind to be silent, therefore you will need to first STILL YOUR MIND. Don't think. Let your friends load the bar for you, you just close your eyes and remember... Your a person who is about to do Divine things, a person filled with 1000 Angels.

Thanks guys

Journey well

skibasgym
11-23-15, 8:30 pm
Excellent post. Sometimes I let my partners load the bar, and I just get in the zone and lift whatever they've put on it. The mind is our single greatest training tool.

JHOORNSTRA
11-24-15, 12:13 am
awesome

DirtMcGirt
11-24-15, 12:29 am
I've noticed sometimes I'll be dreading a set, then right before if I just block everything out and settle my mind's voice I'll bust through it and find an extra 2-3 reps I didn't think I had in me.

One thing I've also gained from lurking the forums is how important the mind muscle connection is.. I used to go through the motions and I'd plateau so often I'd get discouraged. Now I realize if you channel all the noise in your head into focusing on stretching and squeezing the muscle every rep, your body will grow in ways you didn't think possible.

"Every rep is a wet towel. I want to wring that fucker til its dry."

Rex
11-24-15, 10:17 am
I never attempt training without my mind, body and soul being all united into one big force.
You canīt train for a goal without totally focusing on it and the actions necessary to get there. Notice I always use the word "training", never "workout". Training is geared towards an end result. Working out is simply showing up and expending energy

PA Kodiak
12-01-15, 7:52 am
I normally give myself 10-15 minutes to get my mind ready before I leave for the gym to train. I stand on my backporch and look out at the countryside view. The houses, the tiny little cars driving by in the distance. Beyond that there is a farm with cows in a pasture. From my vantage point they are no bigger than ants. This relaxes my mind. Then I think about what I'm working towards. Being the champion that I want to be. Making my recently departed grandparents proud. Inspiring others. Last I pray and thank God for blessing me with the determination and will to pursue my dreams.

Ox
12-08-15, 8:28 am
I jjust remind myself that there's nothing to really be afraid of. I've pushed my sets of squats to the max before and had to dump the bar. Fail on a deadlift and you drop it. On the bench, you have your boy grab it off your chest....or you lay there and yell for someone to come grab it....hahahahahah. Point being, no scenario involves death! In all of them, the worst case secnario involves dropping the weight. The pain is a given but I think we all learn to embrace that. At the end of the day, there's really nothing to fear.

DirtMcGirt
12-08-15, 11:39 pm
...or you lay there and yell for someone to come grab it....hahahahahah

I had a good chuckle at this. Great post

HIGA MONSTER
12-10-15, 1:34 am
Training is geared towards an end result. Working out is simply showing up and expending energy
I LOVE this quote, brah!

HIGA MONSTER

Nmowery
12-11-15, 9:31 am
I LOVE this quote, brah!

HIGA MONSTER

Not only is it a good quote and mindset, but it's been scientifically proven that those who work out with the mindset of being an athlete, with a specific goal set for themselves, get better results than those who just - as Rex said - show up and expend energy.

After reading an article about this a while back, I started to think of what competitive goals I might have as a lifter. I considered training for a bb show, but I'm not too thrilled with the idea of shaving my entire body, getting a super dark fake tan, and flexing on stage in a thong. I also like ice cream and cookies and shit way too much...

Thus, I decided to take a serious crack at powerlifting, and as soon as I started setting specific goals the gains started coming like never before. After pissing away my 20s doing jackshit from a physical standpoint, I started lifting at 30, and spent a couple years being that guy who just showed up and did some shit, but was aimless in my efforts.

Now I'm set on competing for the first time in April, and will start a specific 12-week training cycle at the end of this month. Even though I'm using December as a break from the heavy weight, I'm already hitting the gym with a laser-like focus that I never had before. Knowing that I HAVE to train or I will fail is the greatest motivator ever. The thought of putting in the time, effort, and $$ just to get on the platform and eat shit makes me sicker than any workout ever could. The numbers I want to hit are already set in stone, so now it's all on me to make that shit happen, all obstacles be damned.

I also just realized what a long and rambling post this was...I really need to stay off the forum while pooping.

skibasgym
12-13-15, 5:16 pm
I never attempt training without my mind, body and soul being all united into one big force.
You canīt train for a goal without totally focusing on it and the actions necessary to get there. Notice I always use the word "training", never "workout". Training is geared towards an end result. Working out is simply showing up and expending energy

Excellent point about the difference between "training" and "working out".

HIGA MONSTER
12-13-15, 11:44 pm
Not only is it a good quote and mindset, but it's been scientifically proven that those who work out with the mindset of being an athlete, with a specific goal set for themselves, get better results than those who just - as Rex said - show up and expend energy.

After reading an article about this a while back, I started to think of what competitive goals I might have as a lifter. I considered training for a bb show, but I'm not too thrilled with the idea of shaving my entire body, getting a super dark fake tan, and flexing on stage in a thong. I also like ice cream and cookies and shit way too much...

Thus, I decided to take a serious crack at powerlifting, and as soon as I started setting specific goals the gains started coming like never before. After pissing away my 20s doing jackshit from a physical standpoint, I started lifting at 30, and spent a couple years being that guy who just showed up and did some shit, but was aimless in my efforts.

Now I'm set on competing for the first time in April, and will start a specific 12-week training cycle at the end of this month. Even though I'm using December as a break from the heavy weight, I'm already hitting the gym with a laser-like focus that I never had before. Knowing that I HAVE to train or I will fail is the greatest motivator ever. The thought of putting in the time, effort, and $$ just to get on the platform and eat shit makes me sicker than any workout ever could. The numbers I want to hit are already set in stone, so now it's all on me to make that shit happen, all obstacles be damned.

I also just realized what a long and rambling post this was...I really need to stay off the forum while pooping.
Awesome my braddah...I salute you!

HIGA