PDA

View Full Version : Help out of the hole for squats

crh0816
12-02-15, 5:09 pm
First I want to say, if this is somewhere else, I'm sorry for reposting about it.

I do more of an Olympic style squat stance and have had solid gains with it. The only concern I have is coming out of the hole. I can get the bounce all the way up to around 295 but anything over that, I get stuck or if I do coming out its a grind to complete the rep. I have asked a couple buddies I know and they said that speed work could help or doing variations of pause reps could also help.

I want to know if anyone else has had an issue with this and if so, how you got past it.

Thanks

BigChrisF
12-03-15, 11:11 pm
I think pausing at the bottom making sure that you are maintaining a good position will go a long way for what you want. I would imagine you are currently quite dependent on your stretch-reflex to reverse out of the bottom, which is why I think that the pause squats will be a good resource. Again, just make sure you aren't losing good positioning at that bottom when you are pausing. Start with really light-for-you weights and work up a bit to something that is more challenging for 3-5 reps.

rainman
12-04-15, 1:27 pm
I'd agree with Big Chris F on the paused squats. I do these every week on Monday, using a Squat>Bench>Paused Squat template. I only ever go up to 80% of my 1RM, but will usually work around the 60% mark for sets of 5s etc.

I initially started paused squatting to make sure I was comfortable knowing when I'd broken parallel, but it has also helped with bar path on the ascent. If you have access to chains I would highly recommend doing paused squats with these too, as the squat will get harder towards lockout and if you are relying on bounce out the hole then this will be where you will really get the benefit from them.

naturalguy
12-04-15, 4:20 pm
This is one of the best tips I have ever been given and my squat has gone up quite a bit:

http://www.elitefts.com/education/external-rotation-small-cue-for-a-big-squat/

crh0816
12-04-15, 5:52 pm
When you guys do your pauses, how long do you pause for? I have done different pauses before so I'm just wanting to know. Thanks for the advice. Will be using this tomorrow!

rainman
12-04-15, 6:12 pm
I usually pause for a second or two - sometimes I look around at my body position to get a feeling of the correct position my body needs to be in to hit depth - before driving up out of the hole. I have found this has also gone some way to solving my tendency to letting my hips come up first.

This is one of the best tips I have ever been given and my squat has gone up quite a bit:

Informative link. Thanks for posting. This is an action I always seem to mess up when I've tried it in the past.

Rex
12-04-15, 6:30 pm
I think pausing at the bottom making sure that you are maintaining a good position will go a long way for what you want. I would imagine you are currently quite dependent on your stretch-reflex to reverse out of the bottom, which is why I think that the pause squats will be a good resource. Again, just make sure you aren't losing good positioning at that bottom when you are pausing. Start with really light-for-you weights and work up a bit to something that is more challenging for 3-5 reps.

Exactly what I would have suggested

skibasgym
12-13-15, 4:58 pm

Excellent link/info.

tark
12-13-15, 9:09 pm
just something else to throw out there...I like to do Anderson squats and set them up so you start in the hole...they are a real pain in the ass but I have found them to work for me as well as pause squats

skibasgym
12-20-15, 5:13 pm
just something else to throw out there...I like to do Anderson squats and set them up so you start in the hole...they are a real pain in the ass but I have found them to work for me as well as pause squats

Great variation

Deathride
01-05-16, 3:43 am
Descending too quickly was an issue for me - similar stance / style and up to a certain point I could go down quickly and spring up. However, when the weight passed a certain point, I would lose tightness, crumple and grind-ahoy!

A slower more controlled (not a crawl but not a divebomb either!) descent WITH external rotation (that link is excellent by the way) has ensure I am tight right to the bottom of the lift before exploding up - same with paused squats.