PDA

View Full Version : Sick Before Meet!!

Strength Cleveland
01-04-16, 11:58 am
My first meet is January 16, so I am two weeks out. This week is my last regular training week, so I was supposed to have two bench days, 1 squat day, 1 deadlift day. Unfortunately, I've come down with one of the worst sore throats I've ever had. Saturday I trained through it, but Sunday I took off (I was supposed to bench). I expected to be better today, but I am worse. Tomorrow I'm supposed to hit my squat opener. Do I bench today and tough it out or fit it in later in the week somehow? I want to be 100% meet day and am worried about tearing my body down too much with how sick I am.

KDbeepbeep
01-04-16, 7:14 pm
If I were you, I would try to get the training done as far away as possible from the meet so our fatigue drops off. Just push through the last of your training. If this was a regular training period I would say take a complete rest from the gym but you're very close to the meet. Colds tend to get worse before they get better so you'll prob feel your worst tomorrow to 4 days.

Load up on Vitamin C, Sambucus (that's my secret weapon), hydrate a ton, and get lots of rest these next 2 weeks.

Deathride
01-05-16, 3:21 am
If I were you, I would try to get the training done as far away as possible from the meet so our fatigue drops off. Just push through the last of your training. If this was a regular training period I would say take a complete rest from the gym but you're very close to the meet. Colds tend to get worse before they get better so you'll prob feel your worst tomorrow to 4 days.

Load up on Vitamin C, Sambucus (that's my secret weapon), hydrate a ton, and get lots of rest these next 2 weeks.

I thought that said Sambuca.....that WOULD be a secret weapon.

I would personally hit some singles with moderate to heavy weight (depending how you feel) but not get too stressed about your gym performance - if you feel rotten, call it early, although I've had some pretty spectacular and surprising sessions whilst under the weather.

However, the meet numbers are what matters....there's no award for the 'heaviest triple with a runny nose and influenza A' so pushing your gym numbers at the expense of slowing your recovery by a few days is not worth it.

Strength Cleveland
01-05-16, 7:39 am
I thought that said Sambuca.....that WOULD be a secret weapon.

I would personally hit some singles with moderate to heavy weight (depending how you feel) but not get too stressed about your gym performance - if you feel rotten, call it early, although I've had some pretty spectacular and surprising sessions whilst under the weather.

However, the meet numbers are what matters....there's no award for the 'heaviest triple with a runny nose and influenza A' so pushing your gym numbers at the expense of slowing your recovery by a few days is not worth it.

Thanks, as of now I have gotten sicker and can hardly swallow any food or water, so the gym is questionable for today. Not sure if I can go to school or not. We will see what happens

Strength Cleveland
01-06-16, 4:36 pm
Thanks, as of now I have gotten sicker and can hardly swallow any food or water, so the gym is questionable for today. Not sure if I can go to school or not. We will see what happens

Ok guys, it turns out I have mono, so I'll just have to go to the meet and see what happens as I'm highly contagious now, and don't even have the ability to lift as I'm so weak.

BigChrisF
01-06-16, 8:43 pm
Don't sweat it too much. There will be other meets.

Strength Cleveland
01-06-16, 9:20 pm
Don't sweat it too much. There will be other meets.

Thanks, im disappointed I was hitting big weights (for me) and would've blown away prs

Nmowery
01-07-16, 8:26 pm
I'm a pretty strong believer in staying away from heavy weights while sick. I had a deadlift workout around thanksgiving where for whatever reason I couldn't lift my 2nd to last warmup set...a freaking warmup! I knew then something was off...and the very next day I was sick as hell with a fever, diarrhea, etc.

Illness and lifting both take a toll on your nervous system, and by the time you actually feel sick, whatever infection you have is running rampant in your body. I find that not only do I not have the energy to perform when I'm sick, but recovery is terrible, and makes me feel like shit longer. I'm not big into worrying about over training or deloading or any of that, but it's usually time to take a week off if really feeling bad.

Plus, no one wants to be that guy who's coughing and dripping snot all over the gym...just not a good look

Strength Cleveland
01-07-16, 9:17 pm
I'm a pretty strong believer in staying away from heavy weights while sick. I had a deadlift workout around thanksgiving where for whatever reason I couldn't lift my 2nd to last warmup set...a freaking warmup! I knew then something was off...and the very next day I was sick as hell with a fever, diarrhea, etc.

Illness and lifting both take a toll on your nervous system, and by the time you actually feel sick, whatever infection you have is running rampant in your body. I find that not only do I not have the energy to perform when I'm sick, but recovery is terrible, and makes me feel like shit longer. I'm not big into worrying about over training or deloading or any of that, but it's usually time to take a week off if really feeling bad.

Plus, no one wants to be that guy who's coughing and dripping snot all over the gym...just not a good look

I agree, I wouldn't want to give anyone what I have as it is a very long and agonizing process

Deathride
01-08-16, 2:08 pm
I agree, I wouldn't want to give anyone what I have as it is a very long and agonizing process

I sympathise and please don't think I'm just being a bastard, but there are people who have been through much worse and come back to break PR's. This is a minor setback on the road to awesomeness. Just think of the progress you've made and keep that place you're going to return to and surpass.

Strength Cleveland
01-08-16, 9:09 pm
I sympathise and please don't think I'm just being a bastard, but there are people who have been through much worse and come back to break PR's. This is a minor setback on the road to awesomeness. Just think of the progress you've made and keep that place you're going to return to and surpass.

Hell yes. I may feel like shit now but this will just make me mentally tougher. It will make me hungrier for pr's and to get stronger. You're right, just a minor setback and I've come to realize everyone deals with setbacks.