PDA

View Full Version : "Big On The Basics": Front Squat with Jay Nera

Animal Rep
01-26-16, 3:29 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbBaWN1iEk4

For the powerlifter, the front squat one of the most essential lifts for improving quad strength and for the quad-dominant squatter. Animal athlete and elite powerlifter, Jay Nera presents the latest installment of the Animal series, "Big On The Basics." In this installment, Jay will go deep into the front squat, talking about proper technique and execution. One of the most knowledgeable lifters on the team, Jay can make any complicated topic easy to understand. Check out the vid and tell us what you think.

Nmowery
01-27-16, 11:24 pm
Helpful video, for sure...one question for jay or whoever else, but does anyone have any tips to avoid bruising your shoulders when front squatting, or does that just come with the territory? Every I time do these I end up pretty tender the next day where the bar was laying across.

Jay Nera
02-26-18, 10:16 pm
Helpful video, for sure...one question for jay or whoever else, but does anyone have any tips to avoid bruising your shoulders when front squatting, or does that just come with the territory? Every I time do these I end up pretty tender the next day where the bar was laying across.

Once you go very heavy, it kind of just comes with the territory. It's not like you want to wear a thicker shirt because then although it helps alleviate the pain or the bruising, it debilitates your ability to hold the bar. Unless your have the craziest front delts.

MRmichael.hooker
02-27-18, 10:51 am
Unless your have the craziest front delts.

I remember in 2010 right after Jay Cutler won the O, he came and did a private seminar in NC. I was fortunate enough to go because the guy who helped prep for shows is close friends with Jay & his wife at the time. Jay was going over squats and form and etc and went over getting into a good position for front squats. After having some guys do them and helped tweak their form, he did a set with only 135 on the bar, but his front delts/upper chest were so massive he didn't have to raise his arms up to hold the bar. He was front squatting with his arms at his side having a casual conversation with us.

Rex
03-08-18, 12:28 pm
Once you go very heavy, it kind of just comes with the territory. It's not like you want to wear a thicker shirt because then although it helps alleviate the pain or the bruising, it debilitates your ability to hold the bar. Unless your have the craziest front delts.

Exactly what I would have answered.

Altered Beast
03-08-18, 12:49 pm
I do enjoy the Big on the Basics vids by Animal! Jay is pretty kickass too =)

I find using the EliteFTS Safety Squat Yoke Bar gives better results. Than again, I have the worst possible biomechanics for Squatting so any Squat is horribly awkward, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rex
03-12-18, 11:34 am
Not that I want to kiss his ass but I´m a big fan of Jay´s ever since I first met him at the cage in 2015.

Altered Beast
03-13-18, 11:18 am
Not that I want to kiss his ass but I´m a big fan of Jay´s ever since I first met him at the cage in 2015.

He's a likeable down to earth kind of guy! You are too Mr. Roman!

I don't mind kissing a little bootay, it's just when you start brown nosing it becomes problematic. LOL!!!!!

Jay Nera
03-19-18, 10:52 pm

Thanks Rex. i was looking for you at the Cage this year. The fan factor is reciprocal. You don't have any idea how many people in Canada now eat rice cakes because of my pushing them on people because of you. lol

ChrisTuttle
03-20-18, 7:41 pm
I love front squats. I do have that problem with my head and thoracic spine leaning forward as I get close to failure. I need to work on that.

I also find front squats 10x more comfortable than back squats. I am not sure why exactly. The second I put weight on my back I feel off and out of my proper mechanics. I assume that is because of bar placement is incorrect?

MRmichael.hooker
03-21-18, 10:12 am
I love front squats. I do have that problem with my head and thoracic spine leaning forward as I get close to failure. I need to work on that.

I also find front squats 10x more comfortable than back squats. I am not sure why exactly. The second I put weight on my back I feel off and out of my proper mechanics. I assume that is because of bar placement is incorrect?

Just out of curiosity, do you usually squat more of a high bar squat?

Jay Nera
03-28-18, 4:00 am

That's funny. It's usually the other way around. I'm curious now what your squat looks like and your mechanics.
I didn't start back squatting until i was in my early twenties. All i did was front squat before. Well, I did do a summer of back squats when I was 19 of 600 lb quarter squat workouts. Pretty dumb.

4nim4l
04-04-18, 2:18 am
will check that out

ChrisTuttle
04-04-18, 5:33 pm
Just out of curiosity, do you usually squat more of a high bar squat?

I would say closer to high bar, yes. Def not low bar. I actually did not back squat at all for the first 4 years of BB. ONLY hacks squats, lunges, and front squats.

ChrisTuttle
04-04-18, 5:43 pm
That's funny. It's usually the other way around. I'm curious now what your squat looks like and your mechanics.
I didn't start back squatting until i was in my early twenties. All i did was front squat before. Well, I did do a summer of back squats when I was 19 of 600 lb quarter squat workouts. Pretty dumb.

Squat mechanics look fine but feels SUPER OFF. Front squat mechanics feel like walking, like it is second nature. I do have hips that are off (left 8mm higher than my right). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I front squatted for half my BB career and got up to 405x6-7 reps. Then when I started back squatting I could do 455 for easy 12. When I hurt my knee I have never been able to get back to heavy weight for my imbalances are WAY OFF. Esp in the back squat but not so much in the front squat.

Rex
04-08-18, 6:33 pm

A safety squat bar will solve all your issues. It´s the perfect tool. It places the load right on top of your shoulders. Right in the middle of where a frontsquat and a backsquat would make the weight sit.

ChrisTuttle
04-08-18, 7:26 pm
A safety squat bar will solve all your issues. It´s the perfect tool. It places the load right on top of your shoulders. Right in the middle of where a frontsquat and a backsquat would make the weight sit.

Funny you say that because that is what I use most of the time but even still front squats feel more comfortable. Or should I say Natural.