PDA

View Full Version : I'm the NEW guy to lifting!! Help!

mmomike
03-01-16, 2:43 pm
I'm 37 years old.. 30% bodyfat.. 5'11", 210lbs...
I got tired of being out of shape and met with a trainer in January. The trainer set me up on a workout and eating plan that I've been using for 2 months now. I've lost roughly 20lbs and have increased most of my lifts. I've been taking animal pak and stak for the past 18 days and I'm just not sure if its working... I'm going to continue to take the supplements for at least another month but I would really appreciate any advice on supplements that maximize building muscle while burning fat. I eat very clean.. Daily I'm taking in the following +/- 25 grams... 120 protein, 180 carbs.. 1 gallon + water. Lifting 3-4 days, cardio for a minimum of 30 minutes 4-6 times a week.. Thanks for any recommendations or help.

LordSwoldemort
03-01-16, 3:30 pm
As a natural trainee, recomping (building muscle while losing fat) is usually an ineffective task.

Not impossible, but usually inefficient in comparison to smaller/traditional bulk/cut cycles.

Also, diet & training are going to be what determines results, not supplements.
But you can always keep the basics on hand to assist in the process.

Pak & Stak are solid options. I'd also recommend keeping creatine in year round and having a solid protein (Animal Whey is a great choice) on hand to help in meeting calories & macros.

You should also be upping your protein quiet a bit. At least 1g/lb, especially during cutting, as more protein could potentially assist in lean mass & strength retention during your cut.

mmomike
03-01-16, 4:41 pm
So my protein intake being more than 1 gram per lb of my lean body weight wouldn't necessarily lead to retaining the fat.?. It would promote the building and growth of lean muscle even if the muscle doesn't need the protein? Thanks for the info too!!

As a natural trainee, recomping (building muscle while losing fat) is usually an ineffective task.

Not impossible, but usually inefficient in comparison to smaller/traditional bulk/cut cycles.

Also, diet & training are going to be what determines results, not supplements.
But you can always keep the basics on hand to assist in the process.

Pak & Stak are solid options. I'd also recommend keeping creatine in year round and having a solid protein (Animal Whey is a great choice) on hand to help in meeting calories & macros.

You should also be upping your protein quiet a bit. At least 1g/lb, especially during cutting, as more protein could potentially assist in lean mass & strength retention during your cut.

_bill
03-01-16, 7:04 pm
Yes, according to this source you need more protein when cutting to prevent muscle catabolism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhVAdRQi_o4

Nmowery
03-01-16, 7:16 pm
Definitely more protein! Protein is rarely converted to body fat; it's not an impossible task for your body, but much much more likely for carbs and fats to be stored as body fat, and 1-1.5g per lb body weight definitely won't make you fatter.

Also, like mentioned above, putting on muscle and taking off fat at the same time is about impossible, since one generally requires a caloric surplus and the other deficit. Best approach for that, imo, is to do what Roman fritz has suggested on here several times, and separate cardio and lifting sessions, i.e. One in the morning, the other later in the day

Buckfever
03-01-16, 8:36 pm
If you can get your protein up to 1gram/lb of bodyweight one of the other biggest benefits is that you wind up eating so clean that your appetite really shuts down.

mmomike
03-02-16, 10:30 am
Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Cellardweller
03-02-16, 10:32 am
I'm 37 years old.. 30% bodyfat.. 5'11", 210lbs...
I got tired of being out of shape and met with a trainer in January. The trainer set me up on a workout and eating plan that I've been using for 2 months now. I've lost roughly 20lbs and have increased most of my lifts. I've been taking animal pak and stak for the past 18 days and I'm just not sure if its working... I'm going to continue to take the supplements for at least another month but I would really appreciate any advice on supplements that maximize building muscle while burning fat. I eat very clean.. Daily I'm taking in the following +/- 25 grams... 120 protein, 180 carbs.. 1 gallon + water. Lifting 3-4 days, cardio for a minimum of 30 minutes 4-6 times a week.. Thanks for any recommendations or help.

With respect, don't listen to these guys. You say you were out of shape and got sick of it. You didn't say you've been training for 5 years and want to drop body fat. As a beginer you CAN lose fat and gain muscle. You already said you were doing it. I also know from my own experience. It's where I started my Journey about 6 years ago at almost the same age you are. Whatever your training plan is, it's working for you.

I totally agree with everyone that you should up your protein. Diet is key here. 1-2 gm per pound of lean mass is where you want to be and more the better if you're gaining strength. Cut out all the empty calories. I've lost about 30lbs in the last 2 months myself. The difference is I'm trying to hold on to my strength and muscle mass as I cut, which is what everyone has been talking about.

For supps I think Pak and Stak are awesome. Cuts may help you as well, but you need to have your diet on point or that would be a wast of your time and money. You may also want to add Universal ZMA Pro in at bedtime to help max out your test production. A protein shake 1-2 times a day to help you meet that intake goal can't hurt. Animal Whey is the best. I also use Universal's Ultra Whey Pro.

Other than that, keep motivated, be disciplined and don't quit until you reach your goals. You're in the right place. I couldn't have achieved what I have without the support of my friends here on the FORVM. Sometimes you need a kick in the ass when you start to slip.

Cellardweller
03-02-16, 10:37 am
... also if you are gaining strength and muscle as you lose weight, the scale is going to be deceptive. It might seem the pounds are coming off slow, but if you are gaining muscle at the same time you are adding in lean muscle weight too. It will be easier to judge your weight lose by how loose your clothes start to fit, what the mirror shows and what other people see. Don't let the scale fuck with your head.

BigChrisF
03-02-16, 9:35 pm
Seems to me that you are on the right track for now. Keep at it!

LordSwoldemort
03-03-16, 3:07 pm
With respect, don't listen to these guys. You say you were out of shape and got sick of it. You didn't say you've been training for 5 years and want to drop body fat. As a beginer you CAN lose fat and gain muscle. You already said you were doing it. I also know from my own experience. It's where I started my Journey about 6 years ago at almost the same age you are. Whatever your training plan is, it's working for you.

I totally agree with everyone that you should up your protein. Diet is key here. 1-2 gm per pound of lean mass is where you want to be and more the better if you're gaining strength. Cut out all the empty calories. I've lost about 30lbs in the last 2 months myself. The difference is I'm trying to hold on to my strength and muscle mass as I cut, which is what everyone has been talking about.

For supps I think Pak and Stak are awesome. Cuts may help you as well, but you need to have your diet on point or that would be a wast of your time and money. You may also want to add Universal ZMA Pro in at bedtime to help max out your test production. A protein shake 1-2 times a day to help you meet that intake goal can't hurt. Animal Whey is the best. I also use Universal's Ultra Whey Pro.

Other than that, keep motivated, be disciplined and don't quit until you reach your goals. You're in the right place. I couldn't have achieved what I have without the support of my friends here on the FORVM. Sometimes you need a kick in the ass when you start to slip.

No one is saying he CAN'T do it, but there is a difference in possible vs optimal...and the truth is that as someone training without the assistance of PED's...attempting to sustain a long term recomposition period is often a sub-optimal route.

Much better to pursue short term bulk & cut phases.

Yes, as a beginner there is going to be natural recomposition that will sustain short term, but plateaus are going to be more often with this route as his training career progresses.

Cellardweller
03-04-16, 6:15 am
No one is saying he CAN'T do it, but there is a difference in possible vs optimal...and the truth is that as someone training without the assistance of PED's...attempting to sustain a long term recomposition period is often a sub-optimal route.

Much better to pursue short term bulk & cut phases.

Yes, as a beginner there is going to be natural recomposition that will sustain short term, but plateaus are going to be more often with this route as his training career progresses.

After 2-3 years I would agree with you but mmomike just started training and dieting 2 months ago and I'm giving him help for where he is at today. After he is successful and sticks to this lifestyle and hits his first plateau, then I'll give him different advice because what you did to get where you are isn't what's going to get you to the next level. What good would it do him to confuse him now?