PDA

View Full Version : 2016 XPC finals - meet write up

knotahumanbeing
03-07-16, 10:50 am
2016 XPC Finals

Leading up to the meet, my weight was around 288-290 lbs. and for me to hit the 275 lbs. mark, I would have to start cutting weight earlier than usual when leading up to a competition. My previous meet, in August, I started cutting weight about a week out and I missed the cut. This time I was hitting the mark, so I started preparing two weeks out.

Thursday morning: weigh-ins. Woke up pretty anxious, hungry and apparently still 279 lbs. So I grudgingly hopped on the elliptical for a half-hour, got cleaned up and we headed on to Columbus. When we arrived, I was still nervous, hoping that the past two weeks pays off and I make weight. Stripped down to my skivvies and boom 273 lbs. I was more than ready to eat, get some rest, and prepare to step on the platform.

Squat

I had really high expectations of myself to do well in my squat. I’m a competitor, mainly with myself, I compete against myself, wanting to push myself to be better to do more. Warm ups were really rushed, I had someone completely new wrapping me. I was jittering and just not fully focused. 650 was my opening attempt. Less than 3 min after hitting my last warm-up, I was up on the platform getting wrapped. 650 was good, no real issues. I wanted more for my second attempt, but decided to be conservative because a little tweak ascending on my opener. 685 would be my next attempt. I was flustered, apparently I was shaking really bad and I was just uneasy and unfocused. I mentally was out of it for some reason or another. Got up under the bar on my second attempt and I completely buried the squat with no control, no tightness. Somewhere in there I injured my lower back, don’t know exactly when I did it, but it was shot. I was completely disengaged from the lift and became more frustrated with myself. I did not put in all this work, the time, the sacrifice, to get on the platform and shit the bed. Went for 685 a 3rd time and I failed, again no tightness through my body, I allowed my knees to cave in, I did not bring it.

Bench

Despite the back injury, it was either lay down and quit or fight on to the next lift. Steffenie sat down with me and even though I was visibly upset, few tears streaking down my chin, she told me to get my shit together, do what I need to do to get back in this. It doesn’t take long for me to get warmed up for bench. I took my time getting my shoulders warmed up and getting mentally back in the game. I was in some pretty severe pain with my back still, but I wasn’t giving up yet. 415 opener, felt smooth as butter, speed, drive, control, it was all there. 425 2nd attempt, same thing felt great, no issues with drive or lockout. It was a small choice between 430/435 for my 3rd attempt, either way it would have been a PR, so we decided 435, and it was a wise choice. 435 felt extremely easy, to the point where I feel I had another 10 lbs. in me. A good feeling to have, knowing that my bench is continually progressing.

Deadlift

Throughout the training cycle, my deadlift had not been up to par and I experienced a few hiccups along the way, which caused me to scale back my opener to be on the safe side. After injuring my back on squats, I contemplated scaling it back even more. Throughout the meet I had been foam rolling, stretching, slamming ibuprofen, trying any remedy to alleviate the pressure and pain in my lower back. Started warming up and it was definitely giving me some problems, but I did not come to quit or give up easy. I concluded that I was going to leave it all out there on the platform, f*ck it. I’ve got no reason to hold back, nothing to save it for and I figured I’ll have plenty of rest after the meet. 665 was my opening attempt, came off the ground with no issues, back was still very tender but nothing I could do about it now. For me to still have a decent total (personal thing) I still had to pull at least 700, so that was my 2nd attempt. Hips shot up a little early and the lockout was a little slow but I successfully completed the lift. For my 3rd attempt I went for 725, but as soon as I bent down to pull off the floor, I felt my lower back pull and there was a sharp pain, I didn’t even attempt to pull any further.

1780 total and my worst meet. I failed to do what I set out to do, I bombed this meet. Despite having a successful bench, there’s more than just bench in this sport. I can do better and I will do better. Yes, it’s just one meet and there’s no guarantees every time you step foot on the platform but I want to excel and do better every single time. In all 3 lifts.

I could not have gotten to where I am without the people beside me and that were with me throughout the day, leading up to the meet and without all their support I wouldn’t be where I am today. Steffenie, Steve, Chris, Mikel, P-Diesel, AJ, Ed, Rivercity Barbell, Colerain Barbell, usironclub, and TigerFitness.com were all a part of my support, not just on the day of my meet but leading up to it. I thank you all for your continued support. It hurts and pains me deep, because I feel that I let them down. My piss poor performance did not equal the amount time, stress, sacrifice, and pain that I poured into training for this meet.

This isn’t the end…

http://youtu.be/ePnyouPPCa8

Reko
03-13-16, 10:19 pm
The meet isn't a failure if you learn something for it and add to your arsenal for the next one. rest up that back and youll be crushing those lifts again soon!