PDA

View Full Version : Fish in the Offseason

PA Kodiak
03-22-16, 7:57 am
I believe many (if not most) of us use chicken as our primary source of protein in the offseason and then switch over to fish in contest prep. Just curious if anyone has used fish as their main source of OFFSEASON protein. I'm not talking about one fish meal a day, I mean 3 or more out of 7-8 meals per day. The "Eating for your bloodtype" thread here has me thinking. Chicken supposedly has a negative effect on my metabolism being that I have type B blood. I actually prefer fish over chicken when it comes to taste....not so much price wise though.

C.Coronato
03-22-16, 9:10 am
Evan does all the time, i personally am not a HUGE fish fan unless its Sea Bass or Salmon, and Sea Bass is way too expensive and Salmon has too much fat for it to be a highly used meal. I personally stick with Chicken / Turkey / Lean beef, but no issues with using fish in the offseason!

Rex
03-22-16, 11:35 am
Evan does all the time, i personally am not a HUGE fish fan unless its Sea Bass or Salmon, and Sea Bass is way too expensive and Salmon has too much fat for it to be a highly used meal. I personally stick with Chicken / Turkey / Lean beef, but no issues with using fish in the offseason!

I´m exactly the same as you, C.

Rex
03-22-16, 11:37 am
I believe many (if not most) of us use chicken as our primary source of protein in the offseason and then switch over to fish in contest prep. Just curious if anyone has used fish as their main source of OFFSEASON protein. I'm not talking about one fish meal a day, I mean 3 or more out of 7-8 meals per day. The "Eating for your bloodtype" thread here has me thinking. Chicken supposedly has a negative effect on my metabolism being that I have type B blood. I actually prefer fish over chicken when it comes to taste....not so much price wise though.

Try it and you´ll find out how it works for YOU. In the end, that´s all that matters.

rainman
03-22-16, 4:13 pm
There's a guy at my gym who is a pescetarian and he has the most impressive physique in the place. OK, he has kick ass genetics which go some way to this, but he will hold a lot of size on his diet without chicken, beef etc. He has to be quite creative with his meal planning as fish can be pretty bland when eating it 5-6 times a day, but he uses a lot of salads and cottage cheese for variety.

EthanBrooks
03-22-16, 8:20 pm
Fish is my main protein source especially in the offseason. I find that fish digests much quicker than chicken or beef. In the offseason digestion is very important to me because of the mass amounts of food required to gain weight.

PA Kodiak
03-22-16, 8:25 pm
Fish is my main protein source especially in the offseason. I find that fish digests much quicker than chicken or beef. In the offseason digestion is very important to me because of the mass amounts of food required to gain weight.

What kind of fish are you eating, how much a day, and how much cash are you dropping on fish alone in one week?

EthanBrooks
03-22-16, 10:10 pm
What kind of fish are you eating, how much a day, and how much cash are you dropping on fish alone in one week?

I eat 4 canned tuna meals a day and 2 tilapia or cod meals a day, it costs me about $40-50/ week, which ain't bad with Canadian prices. I tend to buy in bulk when ever fish is on sale, so price per week varies.

Bean
03-23-16, 10:09 am
There was a fish thread not too long ago and tilapia was brought up. I looked into the reasons for the negative feelings about the fish considering it was the only fish besides Mahi that I could handle on a regular basis. Became disgusted with what I was reading about China fish farm Tilapia. So I left the bag of frozen filets in my freezer until the other day when I realized I had nothing to cook for my meals the next day. So, I pulled the fish out and cooked it up like normal. It is amazing how the mind can alter the way something tastes. Tasted horrible and all I could think about was the fact I was eating shit fed fish. At the end of the day, no more tilapia for me...ever.

Nmowery
03-23-16, 10:23 am
There's a guy at my gym who is a pescetarian and he has the most impressive physique in the place. OK, he has kick ass genetics which go some way to this, but he will hold a lot of size on his diet without chicken, beef etc. He has to be quite creative with his meal planning as fish can be pretty bland when eating it 5-6 times a day, but he uses a lot of salads and cottage cheese for variety.

A little bit of a random tangent, but have you ever seen guys who live in fishing villages in the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, etc? A lot of those guys are lean and jacked, and likely without ever touching a weight in their life. Fish, rowing, and swimming is all they do, and some have arms that would put most dudes to shame

PA Kodiak
03-24-16, 5:43 pm
There was a fish thread not too long ago and tilapia was brought up. I looked into the reasons for the negative feelings about the fish considering it was the only fish besides Mahi that I could handle on a regular basis. Became disgusted with what I was reading about China fish farm Tilapia. So I left the bag of frozen filets in my freezer until the other day when I realized I had nothing to cook for my meals the next day. So, I pulled the fish out and cooked it up like normal. It is amazing how the mind can alter the way something tastes. Tasted horrible and all I could think about was the fact I was eating shit fed fish. At the end of the day, no more tilapia for me...ever.

I also ditched tilapia as well as any other farm raised fish. I only eat wild caught fish now. I ate tilapia all throughoutmy last contest prep and I truly feel excluding it next time around will make a significant difference.

Rex
03-24-16, 8:31 pm
I also ditched tilapia as well as any other farm raised fish. I only eat wild caught fish now. I ate tilapia all throughoutmy last contest prep and I truly feel excluding it next time around will make a significant difference.

Even if you don´t specifically feel a difference, it will certainly make one in the long run. You won´t regret it

Ox
03-29-16, 8:37 am
Fish has its pros ande cons.

The greatest advantage that fish has to offer is its easy digestability. For example, in a 24 hour period, a person would likley be able to eat MUCH more fish than they would beef...this would result in a greater protein intake AND leave most people feeling less lethargic than they would from the beef. The other great advanatge that fish offers is it's balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. Even in low fat fish like cod, the ratio is MUCH more favorable than that of grass fed beef (by that point you're likely sending more than you would on fish)...the result is improved insulin sensitivity and a greater likelihood of staying in better shape with less effort.

Downsides being price and heavy metal content (might or might not be over-exaggerated) and for some people, taste.

I like chicken and beef but feel that adding fish to the mix allows for greater protein consumption with less digestive strain.

Rex
03-30-16, 5:48 pm
Fish has its pros ande cons.

The greatest advantage that fish has to offer is its easy digestability. For example, in a 24 hour period, a person would likley be able to eat MUCH more fish than they would beef...this would result in a greater protein intake AND leave most people feeling less lethargic than they would from the beef. The other great advanatge that fish offers is it's balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. Even in low fat fish like cod, the ratio is MUCH more favorable than that of grass fed beef (by that point you're likely sending more than you would on fish)...the result is improved insulin sensitivity and a greater likelihood of staying in better shape with less effort.

Downsides being price and heavy metal content (might or might not be over-exaggerated) and for some people, taste.

I like chicken and beef but feel that adding fish to the mix allows for greater protein consumption with less digestive strain.

Especially that last sentence is one of the biggest advantages of fish. Considering the amounts of food one has to eat to build or even just sustain super natural muscle mass.

PA Kodiak
03-31-16, 9:02 am
...the result is improved insulin sensitivity and a greater likelihood of staying in better shape with less effort.

These are the two main reasons I really want to try replacing all my chicken meals with fish. I'll be looking into what my options are and if it's a financially realistic idea. I've grown to hate chicken...never had a problem eating fish with some lemon juice. Once I give it a go I'll report back. Thanks for the input.

Rex
03-31-16, 10:31 am
These are the two main reasons I really want to try replacing all my chicken meals with fish. I'll be looking into what my options are and if it's a financially realistic idea. I've grown to hate chicken...never had a problem eating fish with some lemon juice. Once I give it a go I'll report back. Thanks for the input.

Once you´ve been eating fish instead of chicken for a year straight, you will see this differently... haha

PA Kodiak
03-31-16, 11:11 am
Once you´ve been eating fish instead of chicken for a year straight, you will see this differently... haha

Haha I don't doubt it!