PDA

View Full Version : Vegan bodbuilders/powerlifters

DEADn
04-07-16, 11:50 am
I have stumbled across a few people who claim to be vegan and are bodybuilders and powerlifters and some of them have some good size on them. It shatters the stereotype of skinny bodies but are those bodies real? Are those testimonies real? I wonder if their health is off the charts outstanding.

Barny Du Plessis is someone I stumbled across who says he is vegan.

C.Coronato
04-07-16, 11:55 am
I recently saw a guy who was a Vegan BB and he was pretty big. I think as long as you are aware of your macros and still get enough protein, it can be done. Not easy, but def can be done!

DEADn
04-07-16, 12:02 pm
I recently saw a guy who was a Vegan BB and he was pretty big. I think as long as you are aware of your macros and still get enough protein, it can be done. Not easy, but def can be done!

Makes me wonder how much healthier this is then the regular diet.

C.Coronato
04-07-16, 12:12 pm
i think it could go either way, because technically something like an Oreo is "Vegan"

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/30-surprisingly-vegan-foods/

DEADn
04-07-16, 12:21 pm
i think it could go either way, because technically something like an Oreo is "Vegan"

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/30-surprisingly-vegan-foods/

Most of that stuff is junkie foods lol. I like that dark chocolate in there though. Bean burritto............acquired taste.

I might experiment with some of this just for health reasons.

Kowboy
04-07-16, 2:30 pm
I considered it at one point, still might eventually but vegan is no animal foods what so ever and is very different then vegetarian. When I did my macros on a book by Robert Cheeke and also another one by Derek Tresize it came out to be about 180g protein, 600g carbs and I forget the fat but I just couldn't stikc with it at home. For me my wife and kids really made it tough to try and stick with it. I couldn't use my normal whey because milk and shit like that is off hte list. I think if I did it again I would still use whey and some supplements but might cut out meat or what not. The first couple weeks my stomach was a train wreck.

In regards to health benefits....I have read both. Now they are saying vegans are having heart issues, vegans say they are healthier, juicing is supposed to be awesome but who knows.

DEADn
04-07-16, 4:28 pm
I considered it at one point, still might eventually but vegan is no animal foods what so ever and is very different then vegetarian. When I did my macros on a book by Robert Cheeke and also another one by Derek Tresize it came out to be about 180g protein, 600g carbs and I forget the fat but I just couldn't stikc with it at home. For me my wife and kids really made it tough to try and stick with it. I couldn't use my normal whey because milk and shit like that is off hte list. I think if I did it again I would still use whey and some supplements but might cut out meat or what not. The first couple weeks my stomach was a train wreck.

In regards to health benefits....I have read both. Now they are saying vegans are having heart issues, vegans say they are healthier, juicing is supposed to be awesome but who knows.

yeah, Vegan is really not the way to go. Vegetarian is better because there I think you can eat fish? I think with vegans there are some important minerals that are missed in that diet. I heard a health show a few days ago on radio talking about this and the lady said that the majority of vegans are missing key ingredients in their foods and it is causing issues in their bodies without using certain supplements.

http://sound.wmnf.org/sound/wmnf_160404_100617_sustain1_392.MP3
Go to about the 50 minute mark and this lady takes on a comment about veganism. It just seems funny to me.

Rex
04-08-16, 10:39 am

Yes. But it has to be much harder. Can you think of any vegan pure protein source comparable to chicken breast or eggwhites?

Rex
04-08-16, 10:42 am
Makes me wonder how much healthier this is then the regular diet.

Itīs probably less healthy and only sustainable with heavy use of nutritional supplementation.
I canīt see how a human body can perform optimally at an intense level fueled only be greens and soy products...

C.Coronato
04-08-16, 10:57 am
Yes. But it has to be much harder. Can you think of any vegan pure protein source comparable to chicken breast or eggwhites?

No, absolutely not lol! MANY shakes need to be consumed

tzone
04-08-16, 11:11 am
We had a cousin from Europe stay with us for a month last year. He's a great musician, a neo-folk guitarist, and is into veganism.

Out of hospitality sake, we served up a lot of vegan/vegetarian meals for the whole family during his stay. My kids and wife ate meat at other times, but I kept up with him daily on the veganism, not only because I wanted to make him feel at home, but also because I was interested in seeing what it would do for me. I will have to say that it is a hard diet and although I felt lighter and generally "good", I was hungry all the time and had to offset this hunger by eating more breads, something which I don't eat much of, and was drinking a lot of beer.

At the time I wasn't lifting, but if I had been, I think I would have passed out from the hunger.

DEADn
04-08-16, 1:49 pm

Which is a reason why I wonder how the vegan lifters get big? Or is part of the answer the forbidden fruit?

Kowboy
04-08-16, 2:49 pm
Which is a reason why I wonder how the vegan lifters get big? Or is part of the answer the forbidden fruit?

If you read the books the protein/carb ratio is way different. But the preach about whole foods so eating more necessarily wont make you fat because if you just eat vegan foods (whole foods) then you really dont pull in that much fat. My macros at 260 were doable. I felt good at the gym but I honestly had an issue w/ the family more than anything. I am still up for trying it one day to just see. My only concern was a lot these guys switch to being vegan. So would have they have been as big being vegan while running a cycle or building mass? I am not sure. Here is a good guy to read about and what not

https://www.facebook.com/Patrik.Baboumian.Fanpage

Rex
04-10-16, 10:19 am

No, brother.
Even drugs wonīt get you big if you donīt supply the nutrients to build the tissue.

Ox
04-12-16, 9:38 am
What if you eat grass fed beef? If you are what you eat and you are what you eats, then wouldn't you be vegan by default? HOWEVER...consider this; is cow manure vegan? I know poultry feathers are not. These two ingredients make up a large part of the fertilizer formulas used in agriculture...to grow vegtables...vegetables are literally thriving on/eating cow shit and chicken feathers. How do vegans feel about this? Not being funny either! Dead serious.

Rex
04-12-16, 10:26 am
What if you eat grass fed beef? If you are what you eat and you are what you eats, then wouldn't you be vegan by default? HOWEVER...consider this; is cow manure vegan? I know poultry feathers are not. These two ingredients make up a large part of the fertilizer formulas used in agriculture...to grow vegtables...vegetables are literally thriving on/eating cow shit and chicken feathers. How do vegans feel about this? Not being funny either! Dead serious.

Thumbs up for this.

Ox
04-24-16, 9:11 pm
Thumbs up for this.

'mIright?

Rex
04-27-16, 10:09 am
'mIright?

If youīre asking me, absolutely.

Aggression
04-27-16, 4:45 pm
Oh, Evan.

All I know is .. I love me some red meat. Maybe down the road I'll limit the amount of meat I consume daily, but I can't ever see myself giving it up. Kudos to those who follow that lifestyle.

Ox
04-27-16, 8:43 pm
Oh, Evan.

All I know is .. I love me some red meat. Maybe down the road I'll limit the amount of meat I consume daily, but I can't ever see myself giving it up. Kudos to those who follow that lifestyle.

Yeah man, for sure. I just don't believe (maybe I'm brainwashed?) that the consumption of a variety of foods (both animal and non-animal foods) is bad!

Rex
05-03-16, 10:29 am
Yeah man, for sure. I just don't believe (maybe I'm brainwashed?) that the consumption of a variety of foods (both animal and non-animal foods) is bad!

On the flipside, I just donīt believe that the consumption of only a drastically limted variety of foods while depriving yourself of others is good.