PDA

View Full Version : hook grip and speed work

Reko
04-11-16, 9:35 pm
This is for deadlifts by the way.

Anyone here do speed work while using hook grip? I'm fairly new to hook gripping and need to work on my grip with it as my strength here is lower than my DL max on an over/under grip. But i was curious if people who use hooks for their max effort/comp lifts do it for speed work too, or if that is just "regular" double overhand grip. I'll probably try it anyway unless i get some strong negative advice, but figured i'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

rainman
04-14-16, 4:49 pm
I usually only deadlift once a week, warming up with double overhand over 3 sets by adding a plate a time, before going to the hook grip for my working sets of 4PPS+. All my working sets, whatever the weight, I'll hook grip. The problem I have found with double overhand using the lighter weights is that the bar does have a tendency to shift about in my hands if I move too quickly, whereas it stays locked with the hook. I don't do much speed work as I seem to be quicker off the floor since hook gripping (probably because I want to get the pain out the way ASAP!) but will do snatch grip deads or paused sumo deads using straps as accessory movements, if only to give my thumbs a break. Were I to incorporate speed work I'd definitely keep using the hook grip though.

Aggression
04-14-16, 5:45 pm
I would practice the way you plan on playing. If you plan on competing using hook grip, use that grip when doing your dead work.

Reko
04-14-16, 7:28 pm
Makes sense. Thanks.