PDA

View Full Version : Kettlebell/Heavy Bag cardio mix, what do you think?

jrh0341
04-14-16, 2:22 pm
What do you guys think of alternating shorts (30-60 seconds) round of heavy bag striking drills with rounds of kettlebell swings, as a quick intense cardio workout?

I try to keep a few options on standby for "I don't have time for Cardio" cardio. On a perfect day, I get up in time to go to the gym, do abs and cardio before work, then hit the gym for weights on the way home.

On days where I'm short on time (or have to be at work early) I have to find some compressed session I can do from home. I've got a heavy bag in my house, so I've been doing about a 10 minute ab circuit, followed by a few quick rounds on the bag (maybe a punches round, a mixed punches, knees elbows round, then a full mixed punches knees round kicks set, etc)

I need to up the cardio intensity here, and mix it up to keep it interesting, but still keep it pretty quick paced, short and within that confined space. (being able to roll out of bed and get in a good 20 minute thrashing before I hit the shower is great for a me when I'm on a tight schedule)

I'm not worried about building total body strength so much, since I'm still doing plenty of weightlifting in the evenings anyways. I'm just looking for a good fat burning/stamina building cardio shred. I'm thinking a tabata style bag - rest -KBells - rest -repeat as needed circuit might work really well.

Anyone doing something like this already?

Any comments or advice?

What did your intervals look like?

Is it a pretty effective thrash session?

Also, anyone know a site to score decently priced KBells? I guess I only need one, but they're They're pricier than I thought they'd be. Looks like a a 35-40 lb is going to run me 45$?

tzone
04-15-16, 9:51 pm
When I was into karate and kickboxing in the 80s, a very large portion of my martial arts workout was based on the heavy bag (and not just one bag, but different ones with different weights, both light and very heavy). Anyone serious about their martial arts training needs to spend serious time and effort on bag workouts.

Mixing up KBs with bagwork is a good plan, in my opinion. Do you use gloves during bagwork?

One recommendation I would offer though, is that you also devote some time to technical work with the bag(s), as it's easy to build bad habits during flailing sessions. For example, fatigue causes your hands to drop, and that's one habit you don't want for fighting. You still need to develop timing and tempo in your strike combinations and flailing alone could develop some slop in that regard.

Best wishes on your training, brother.

Rex
04-26-16, 10:15 am
What do you guys think of alternating shorts (30-60 seconds) round of heavy bag striking drills with rounds of kettlebell swings, as a quick intense cardio workout?

I try to keep a few options on standby for "I don't have time for Cardio" cardio. On a perfect day, I get up in time to go to the gym, do abs and cardio before work, then hit the gym for weights on the way home.

On days where I'm short on time (or have to be at work early) I have to find some compressed session I can do from home. I've got a heavy bag in my house, so I've been doing about a 10 minute ab circuit, followed by a few quick rounds on the bag (maybe a punches round, a mixed punches, knees elbows round, then a full mixed punches knees round kicks set, etc)

I need to up the cardio intensity here, and mix it up to keep it interesting, but still keep it pretty quick paced, short and within that confined space. (being able to roll out of bed and get in a good 20 minute thrashing before I hit the shower is great for a me when I'm on a tight schedule)

I'm not worried about building total body strength so much, since I'm still doing plenty of weightlifting in the evenings anyways. I'm just looking for a good fat burning/stamina building cardio shred. I'm thinking a tabata style bag - rest -KBells - rest -repeat as needed circuit might work really well.

Anyone doing something like this already?

Any comments or advice?

What did your intervals look like?

Is it a pretty effective thrash session?

Also, anyone know a site to score decently priced KBells? I guess I only need one, but they're They're pricier than I thought they'd be. Looks like a a 35-40 lb is going to run me 45$?

I think what you are describing sunds like a pretty tough cardio session. Itīll probably work. After all cardio training is simply about gettig your heart rate to a certain level and maintaining this state for prolonged period of time. Your heart doesnīt give a damn if your hitting a heavy bag or running on a treadmill.