PDA

View Full Version : Twisting on the squat

Strength Cleveland
05-05-16, 8:17 am
Ok so I have a problem on the squat in which I twist slightly to one side. This has caused some lingering inner thigh problems on my left leg. I've tried slow descending squats, front squats, narrowing my stance, and switching to high bar, but I still have this problem. I believe it is caused by one of my leggs being stronger than the other. How do I fix this problem? NO matter how much I practice the squat, nothing helps.

Nmowery
05-05-16, 9:10 am
Since you think one leg is stronger have you tried more 1-legged variations of lifts? Split or Bulgarian squats, lunges, single leg press, etc...

Cellardweller
05-05-16, 7:55 pm
You could also be compensating for an injury, a strained joint

Buckfever
05-06-16, 10:57 pm
Ok so I have a problem on the squat in which I twist slightly to one side. This has caused some lingering inner thigh problems on my left leg. I've tried slow descending squats, front squats, narrowing my stance, and switching to high bar, but I still have this problem. I believe it is caused by one of my leggs being stronger than the other. How do I fix this problem? NO matter how much I practice the squat, nothing helps.

I would lighten the weight a lot and do paused Squats. Light enough so you're not twisting and then move up slowly so that the weaker leg catches up and no twisting develops.

BamBam
05-07-16, 10:59 am
Could be a number of things. Easiest could be foot alignment (one foot behind the other or not angled the same/properly), or even your shoes may be too worn and cause an imbalance.

You could also have a tightness in your psoas (hip flexor) or your adductor(s).

Your guads may also be weaker at the knee, which causes the knee to buckle a bit, causing the twist.

Maybe post a video and we can help a little more.

Also if you fear that one leg is stronger than the other, then I would suggest incorporating some strongman training to your regimen. Do farmers walks (just use heavy DB's if you dont have the handles), frame carry (trap bar deadlift works fine too), yoke, etc.

Rex
05-08-16, 10:05 am

Custom made orthotics for your shoes. They´ll correct your mechanics and over time the imbalance will dissolve

Buckfever
05-08-16, 11:35 am
You know Rex brings up an excellent point. Whether you squat with a heal or with a flat shoe you need a hard stable sole. I see a lot of problems with people squatting with running type shoes and the shoes collapsing during the movement and causing all kinds of instability.

rainman
05-10-16, 2:06 pm
I found it was a set up issue for me. As I'd come out the hole I would twist up with more weight on my left foot, sometimes causing the plates on the left hand side of the bar to spin. Watching a couple of videos I found my left side would tuck down a bit in the hole causing the bar to go further forwards and the path would go up and back on the ascent as a result.

As Buckfever suggested, I also used paused squats to combat the problem - with zero movement of the plates being the main aim but also to get me comfortable with hitting depth - and have also worked really hard on getting my back tight. If you squat low bar, (as I do), then you'll find rotator stretching exercises will help to keep your hands closer in and your set up tighter.