PDA

View Full Version : So Rome wasn't built in a day...

Nmowery
05-19-16, 8:07 pm
Of course we've all heard that saying a million times - and yes, the analogy holds true in regards to anything in life that requires patience and dedication

That said...what they never seem to bring up is that Rome fell apart a hell of a lot quicker than it came together. This recently became way too clear to me when I received word that my dad had fallen gravely ill - he lived halfway across the country, and me, my wife and my daughter packed a couple bags and immediately made the trip out to be there with him at the end.

Now...this post isn't about my personal loss, but as a result of sitting in a car for 5 out of 8 days and eating crap the whole time, I lost almost 10 lbs and swear my legs atrophied to half the size they were previously. I managed a couple workouts in ill equipped hotel gyms, but didn't have the means or will to train legs. After resting up for a couple days after getting home, I went to hit some squats and it was just pathetic. I couldn't get too upset, because it was the result of a situation I couldn't control, but goddamn its sobering to see how quick the gains melt away! If nothing else, the experience has taught to me to not take for granted not only the opportunity to do what I love, but to appreciate my meager accomplishments as a lifter.

Long story short...next time you should be in the gym, and you're running thru all the reasons in your mind of why you can't make it...GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASS AND TRAIN!!! Cause if you dont, all the work you've put in so far is 100% for naught!

Cellardweller
05-20-16, 1:53 pm
I just took 4 weeks off squats and deads due to my ankle and a year ago I took 3 months off due to my knee. One month hasn't been bad. I think it was Rainman who pointed out to me there is a mental aspect to it too. You lay off heavy weights and your mind isn't used to the feel of them anymore so they feel heavier than they are. You have to retrain both mind and legs to get back to where you were. Makes sense. If you have to take one step backward to go 2 steps forward that isn't so bad. However that 3 month layoff really took a hit in my strength. I whined and cried some LOL, but I built back up with attention to form and in 6 months made a 30lb PR. It sucks on the surface, but can be an opportunity if you accept the challenge.

tzone
05-20-16, 11:21 pm
I lost my dad last summer. It was a slow, downhill illness that took him, and it started in late 2013. There were times when I had stopped training to focus more on him.

Life's daily battles, unfortunately, do get in the way of training sometimes, but we still need to press forward towards our unending goals.

krick3t
05-21-16, 6:47 pm
Give it a few weeks. Your legs just arent used to it anymore. They'll be back at it soon, just keep your head up and put your time in.