PDA

View Full Version : Wong Stwong: Boss of Bosses 3 Training Log

J Wong
06-17-16, 4:01 pm
Right now I am 9 weeks out of the Boss of Bosses 3 meet. After a year layoff due to injury, I competed June 4th and finished with a 1951 lb total at 242 in sleeves which was a 51 lb total PR. I am looking to build off of that number and do my best to prepare myself to win the 242 lb raw division. I will be competing alongside a number of the best lifters in the country so it is going to be a challenge!

I will begin training on Monday. I am still healing up from the past couple weeks of competing so I am aiming to begin training when recovered rather than still beat up.

Let's do dis.

Buckfever
06-17-16, 4:47 pm
Right now I am 9 weeks out of the Boss of Bosses 3 meet. After a year layoff due to injury, I competed June 4th and finished with a 1951 lb total at 242 in sleeves which was a 51 lb total PR. I am looking to build off of that number and do my best to prepare myself to win the 242 lb raw division. I will be competing alongside a number of the best lifters in the country so it is going to be a challenge!

I will begin training on Monday. I am still healing up from the past couple weeks of competing so I am aiming to begin training when recovered rather than still beat up.

Let's do dis.

Congratulations and glad to see you're doing well. BOB3 is going to be insane.

naturalguy
06-20-16, 12:39 pm
Let's get it...................

Universal Rep
06-20-16, 1:31 pm
Good luck.

J Wong
06-20-16, 7:17 pm
Week 1, Day 1

Today: Squats

Squats:
561x5
583x5
595x5
601x5

Leg Curls:
4 sets of 12

I had pause squats programmed after squats but I was beat. In perspective- I have been peaking (very low volume), tapering, and resting for 2 meets since mid April or so. Work capacity is now very low! I will more than likely make up these 3 planned sets of paused squats after deadlifts on Wednesday.

Nmowery
06-20-16, 11:15 pm
You gonna try to reclaim that squat record at bob??

ibnmahama
06-21-16, 12:07 am
looking for to sharing the platform again

C.Coronato
06-21-16, 8:18 am
Exciting for ya brotha!

P Diesel
06-21-16, 9:54 am
any residual injury from taking a tumble with that squat a while back? i think it looked a lot worse than it was thankfully. catch up w u soon brother

P

J Wong
06-21-16, 10:51 pm
any residual injury from taking a tumble with that squat a while back? i think it looked a lot worse than it was thankfully. catch up w u soon brother

P

Hey man, not really! It really messed me up for that weekend but I recovered pretty well. When it comes to my old back injury, I feel pretty damn healthy. I am back to being just a powerlifter with nagging pains and nuisances that hold some thing back rather than a guy hopping around on one leg with a really messed up back!

J Wong
06-21-16, 10:56 pm
Week 1, Day 2

Today: Bench

Bench:
358x4
358x4
358x4

...bicep/arm throbbing pains got pretty damn bad at this point so I put on the slingshot to still get some work in with my planned work sets:

358x4
374x4

^^those last 2 with the slingshot=MUCH better and no pain.

I skipped the prescribed wide grip bench work as my arms were just not having it. Strength wasn't feeling too great today but the pain was the limiting factor. Arms were throbbing so bad I could barely grip the DBs for my accessory work after this!

Lat Pulldowns:
5 sets of 10

DB Front Raise/Rope Pushdowns/DB Shrugs:
3 sets of 12 each movement

Not the best start to benching this training cycle but I expected it. I have been having this issue for awhile now and considering I just came off of a meet prep for June 4th, I wasn't going to have much time to take off to help this issue. I am just going to have to continue making the trip(s) to the chiro for ART treatments.

Altered Beast
06-22-16, 10:41 am
You keep starting so many new threads I can't follow! LOL!

J Wong
06-23-16, 9:10 am
Week 1, Day 3

Today: Deadlift

Deadlift:
595x3
606x3
617x2 + 1 miss
617x3

Romanian DL:
4 sets of 8

Everything felt great. On the 617 set where I missed the 3rd rep, I lost all tightness and got completely out of position setting back up. In hindsight/watching that video I should have taken a step back and reset rather than going for that 3rd rep. I came back and hit it pretty easily though. My deadlift has never felt better. After finally hitting 705 a few weeks ago, my confidence is there.

Altered Beast
06-23-16, 11:51 am
How is everything regarding the injury?

J Wong
06-24-16, 12:38 pm
How is everything regarding the injury?

No injury!

J Wong
06-26-16, 11:33 pm
Week 1, Day 4

Friday: Squat

Squat:
595x4
630x4

These squats were easy. I felt like I had another 3-4 reps in the tank with 630...BUT I had to shut my workout down again. Arm pain was killing me and my back was flared up quite a bit from LOTS of sitting in a car the past few days and I had to play it safe. I'd rather miss a workout or two than miss another four months of training.

Week 1, Day 5

Supposed to bench but arms were throbbing all weekend. Really need to get to the chiro ASAP (probably Tuesday) to get some ART done. Pretty frustrating but it's a part of the game.

Pete Rubish
06-27-16, 4:01 pm
Smart call on not pushing it when your body isn't feeling good. That's the mindset I use in my training too. Looking forward to the meet and sharing the platform with you again buddy!

J Wong
06-29-16, 4:14 pm
Week 2, Day 6'

Schedule is a little messed up this week. Moving things around because the back/arm flare ups. Hopefully next week will go according to plan 100%

Yesterday: Bench

Pause Bench:
390x3
410x3
430x1 (Was supposed to hit 3, which I may have been able to do, but arms were acting up bad again. Was at commercial gym so did not feel too safe).

Called bench early and moved on to accessories:

Seated Cable Rows
DB Upright Rows
Pushdowns
DB Curls

Frustrating, but at least I was able to get work in. The weights moved very well considering everything. Silver lining, right? Something is definitely going on and I know I am going to be taking at least a month off after BOB3. My right arm was feeling all messed up on and off yesterday and late at night at work my hand puffed up and my forearm filled with blood. It almost felt like a pump! I could not close my right hand comfortably for awhile. Good times.

Off to go squat.

J Wong
06-30-16, 6:04 pm
Week 2, Day 6

Yesterday: Squat

Squat:
650x3
683x3
715x3 (33 lb PR)

Pause Above Parallel Squat:
2 sets of 3 @ 561 lbs

No arm pain. Win. Widened grip slightly and focused as hard as I could on keeping my upper back tight (usually it's easy to do with a narrower grip) so I could use that grip...helped tremendously. Great confidence boost.

Buckfever
06-30-16, 6:26 pm
"715x3 (33 lb PR)"

Impressive

Pete Rubish
07-02-16, 10:10 am
715x3!? That's some good stuff buddy!

J Wong
07-04-16, 11:01 pm
Week 2, Day 7

1" Deficit DL:
12 singles w/ ~30 seconds of rest at 407

Some leg curls

Was supposed to do romanians but back was fried.

Week 2, Day 8

Skipped 2nd bench day again. Things have been rough.

Week 3, Day 9

Squat:
3 sets of 5 @ 583

Pause Squat:
1 set of 5 @ 517 (was supposed to be 2 sets)

Had to skip the 2nd planned set on paused squats. Ended up on the ground because right side of my back was so locked up.

Life has been fun lately. Just kidding. Going to make it to BOB3, compete...and then take the month of September off from any heavy work/all squats & deadlifts together. Looking forward to that downtime. My main goal(s) right now are to avoid mental burnout and injury. Lots of crappy stuff going on outside the gym as well and it all builds up.

Pete Rubish
07-05-16, 10:29 am
Hope it all clears up buddy. I know what that's like to have your personal life get the best of you sometimes. I'm in the same boat.

bigpoppachizl
07-05-16, 11:07 am
Same here my man. Nobody sees our personal lives and they can definitely get the best of us like Pete said. Stay motivated- lifting is the best distraction from life.

J Wong
07-13-16, 10:59 am
Update:

Training has been all over the place lately. I took an unplanned deload last week and into this week. Having some issues flare up with the back. I think some nerves have been irritated back there and my legs (last year it was just my left leg, my right leg is now having issues as well) are in some pain and are feeling weak in everyday life. My left foot is also getting tingly as well. In addition to all of that, I am having a knee issue which I think is flaring up from postural issues from standing/walking a certain way to compensate for the back/leg problem. I am not crippled/confined to my bed like last year, but the goal is to not reach that point again. Unfortunately there is a chance I am going to be doing bench only at BOB3. I am going to keep taking it day by day. I really want to do the full meet for a variety of reasons.

Basically- this stings. I've been looking forward to this since I had to withdraw from the meet altogether last year so this is a pretty tough pill to swallow. Pretty depressing stuff right now

Pete Rubish
07-13-16, 11:36 am
Keep your head up man. I'm not going through the same stuff as you, but you are not alone. And you've come back from this before and put up a huge total, you can do it again.

J Wong
07-13-16, 12:07 pm
Keep your head up man. I'm not going through the same stuff as you, but you are not alone. And you've come back from this before and put up a huge total, you can do it again.

Thanks man, looking forward to seeing you next month! Big things coming from you.

Altered Beast
07-13-16, 12:42 pm
Keep your head up my man!

Look into a chiropractor that has decompression equipment and invest in an Inversion Table. These two things have kept my spine and back 110% healthy. A reverse hyper will help strengthen those muscles that cannot be hit with a barbell or a machine, if you can find a gym with one of those.

Aggression
07-13-16, 1:15 pm
Hope everything works out, J. It definitely takes a toll, both mentally and physically when shit like this happens. I know you used to be with 10/20/Life. Do you still use his training style/program? Or are you doing your own shit now?

bigpoppachizl
07-16-16, 10:58 pm
Hey man, if you're not doing full power frikken BRING IT on the bench. Let's see some numbers!! And we could all use your support cheering... Your presence raises the test levels in the room

bigpoppachizl
07-20-16, 10:18 am
You alright, bud?? How's the back??

J Wong
07-27-16, 11:07 am
Alright, so bench only it is. I am glad I made this decision as I ended up taking 10 days off from the gym altogether and my issues are starting to get better. Back pain is sporadic and not too bad, but I know the nerve(s) are still compressed because of the spurts of pain in my shins/legs. I know that for now on I should probably only train for a full meet 2-3 times a year and take about 6 weeks off from loading my spine (which I knew, but tried to push through for this meet) after a competition. ANYWAYS:

Week 1 bench only prep:

Day 1: did 4 sets of 4 in the 374-407 range, 2 sets of 4 @ 352/363 wide grip, and finished up with some BBing work

Day 2: All BBing work

Day 3: Worked up to a really easy 440 lb single, 507 lbs in the slingshot, and 3 sets of 3 @ 374 lbs.

Very happy with how week 1 went. The break from squatting/benching for those 10 days really relieved the pain in my shoulders/arms and everything was pain during these workouts.

I am really looking forward to heading out to BBBC and seeing all of the Animal team compete together.

Buckfever
07-27-16, 3:33 pm
Curious but do you do other variations in the meantime like Leg press or 45 degree back raises, while letting the spine recover?

J Wong
08-03-16, 12:21 pm
Curious but do you do other variations in the meantime like Leg press or 45 degree back raises, while letting the spine recover?

No- would be counter productive. Leg press will still load the spine and the back raises were advised against by McGill for spine health so I stay away.

J Wong
08-03-16, 12:24 pm
Week 2 Bench Only Prep

Day 1
Pause Bench: 374x5/385x5/396x5/374x5
CG Bench: 330x5/308x5/308x5 <<fatigue set in here on the triceps
Accessory Work (Upper back/shoulders/triceps)

Day 2
Lat Pulldown: 3x15
MAchine Rows: 3x15
DB Lateral Raises: 3x15
Skullcrushers: 3x15
Pushdowns: 3x15

Day 3

Pause Bench: 405x4/415x4 for a small PR but called it there. Had to more sets of 4 in the 390-420 weight range but I strained my pec slightly
Accessory Work (Back/Shoulders/Arms)

J Wong
08-25-16, 8:05 pm
Ended up going 3 for 3 on bench and finished with 474 lbs. This was 6 lbs off my best and I am pretty happy with this.

I would like to congratulate all the competitors and my animal teammates for jobs well done!

Also, thanks to Dan and his wife Sparkle for the hospitality and putting on a great meet. The invitational day was insane.

Thanks to Christian Coronato, G Diesel, and Juliet for coming out to the meet and filming/taking care of us. They are great people.

GunRock
08-25-16, 8:26 pm
Ended up going 3 for 3 on bench and finished with 474 lbs. This was 6 lbs off my best and I am pretty happy with this.

I would like to congratulate all the competitors and my animal teammates for jobs well done!

Also, thanks to Dan and his wife Sparkle for the hospitality and putting on a great meet. The invitational day was insane.

Thanks to Christian Coronato, G Diesel, and Juliet for coming out to the meet and filming/taking care of us. They are great people.

Great work J! I love that you immediately set a new goal and got right back into the gym too! Respect.