PDA

View Full Version : 2100 @ 242

Pete Rubish
06-19-16, 7:26 pm
This will be my training log where I document my prep for Boss of Bosses, which will take place in 9 weeks in Mountain View, California. I will be competing as a 242 pounder and the goal is 2100 in sleeves. I have made a ton of progress the last few months and would like to continue to do so at this meet. I feel I have my training more dialed in than ever as far as knowing what my body needs and how it responds, so I expect HUGE numbers at this meet. I am also staying lighter this prep to minimize how much the weight cut takes out of me. I cut 23 lbs in 10 days for my last meet, and although I did very well, I think I'll do even better if I only have to cut 5-10 lbs. So the magic number is 252 for this prep and no higher.

My last three meets:

USPA Load the Bar (Southaven, MS): 1868 total in sleeves (655, 424, 799) November 21, 2015
USPA Strong Box Pro/AM (Charleston, WV): 1918 total in sleeves (672, 413, 832) February 20, 2016
USPA Eastern TN Powerlifting Classic (Elizabethton, TN): 1951 (1995 unofficial - 4th deadlift attempt) (722, 435, 838) June 4, 2016

I feel that I will be capable of close to an 800 pound squat in sleeves, 451 bench, and 865+ deadlift if everything comes together for this.

Pete Rubish
06-19-16, 7:27 pm
Today's training:

Deadlifts: 6, 4, 3, 3 x 775 (PR on first set)
Bulgarian Split Squats: up to 13x240 each leg drop set to 10x155 each leg
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 10, 12 x 355
Lat pulldowns holding on to straps for grip work: up to 10x240

npcdusty
06-20-16, 11:13 am
Looking forward to this Log, Glad you are doing it Pete! Keep up the good work...

naturalguy
06-20-16, 12:38 pm
This is going to be good........looking forward to following your progress and taking notes

Universal Rep
06-20-16, 1:38 pm
2100 is no joke.

Buckfever
06-20-16, 1:41 pm
Congrats on the PR.

Pete Rubish
06-20-16, 5:04 pm
Looking forward to this Log, Glad you are doing it Pete! Keep up the good work...
Thanks Dusty! Hope all is well in Jackson! We're about to fly out of the country for the week, but after that it will be back to strictly business leading up to this meet!

This is going to be good........looking forward to following your progress and taking notes
I feel very, very confident about how I'm approaching this. I'm only doing a three day a week training template and it seems to keep me healthy and fresh going into meets, while getting very strong at the same time. Mondays and Thursday are bench days, and Saturdays are my lone lower body days.

2100 is no joke.
I definitely think I have it in me barring injury. I feel I can challenge for the 242 top spot at this meet.

Congrats on the PR.
Thanks buddy! It felt surprisingly easy!

Pete Rubish
06-20-16, 5:06 pm
Final training session before the departure to France for a 660 lbs for reps deadlift competition:

DB Bench: 20x100s, 18x110s, 12x120s, 10x120s
Shrug Machine: 4x30x3 plates/side
DB Hammer Curls: 4x20x32.5s
Tricep Pushdowns w/rope: 3x20x160
Face Pulls: 6x15x130

ibnmahama
06-21-16, 12:07 am
looking forward to sharing the platform again

C.Coronato
06-21-16, 8:16 am
Thats fuckin HUGE. Go get it!

P Diesel
06-21-16, 9:52 am
brutal srength man ... couldnt be happier for all the success ur having cuz i know it has come from years of relentless work. i can do nuthin but repsect that

P

Pete Rubish
06-27-16, 4:08 pm
looking forward to sharing the platform again
You too buddy! Should be a fun one with so many great competitors!

Thats fuckin HUGE. Go get it!
I feel like I'll have it! My body is feeling great!

brutal srength man ... couldnt be happier for all the success ur having cuz i know it has come from years of relentless work. i can do nuthin but repsect that

P
Thanks P! I've really dialed in my training, mentality, and approach nowadays, and everything is going so much better. I'm finally putting it together on a consistent basis when it counts in competition.

Speaking of which, I just got back from France at 1 am this morning. It was probably the most memorable trip I've ever taken. The cultural differences and everything else really left a great impression. The French people were nothing but nice and respectful despite us not knowing French and very few of them speaking fluent English. The food was amazing too. I tried a few classic French dishes like Tartiflette and Escargot (snails). It was a much slower paced lifestyle over there than here in the US and I honestly am going to miss that a lot. It was very relaxing. You had the Alps on one side of the city and Lac Leman (biggest lake in Europe) on the other. The scenery was incredible!

I ended up winning the deadlift competition and pulled 11 reps at 660 beltless. 9 were without straps, then I hit two more with straps just for fun immediately after the 9. I told them I would do as many as I could without, then throw on straps and hit a few reps that wouldn't count towards the competition, but just for the crowd. I was going up against the Swiss Strongest Man and he wanted to go beltless, so I agreed. He ended up hitting 5 reps at 660.

Pete Rubish
06-28-16, 12:46 pm
Body is feeling a little beat up after getting back from France. Not real sure what the deal is with my left quad, but it's a bit sore and tight as if it's a minor strain. The sprained right middle finger is feeling much better though. And the only other thing is that right rotator cuff that's been giving me trouble for a long while now. It's a bit sore, but not too bad. I think I'm going to keep beginning my upper body training with face pulls though as that seemed to help a lot.

Pete Rubish
06-28-16, 6:18 pm
Feeling lucky to be alive considering I was at the Istanbul airport two days ago. Goes to show just how precious life is. Today I did:

30 minute rotator cuff warmup
DB Bench: 10x100s, 10x110s, 10x120s, 14x130s, 13x130s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x20x40s
Shrug machine: up to 3x15x5 plates/side
Tricep Pushdowns with straight bar: 3x20x170
Face Pulls alternating over and underhand: 3 each of 15 by 120 & 140

Pete Rubish
07-01-16, 9:39 am
DB Bench: 18x130s, 14x130s
DB Hammer Curls: 20, 18, 18, 18 x 45s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x180
Face Pulls alternating overhand/underhand grip: 3 each x 15 x 150 & 130

Nmowery
07-01-16, 9:51 am
Hey Pete, have you tried messing with one of those shoulderoks to help out your shoulder? I'm too cheap to buy one, but started swinging around a heavy aluminum baseball bat that was laying around the house, and after only a couple weeks my tender rotator cuff is feeling super fresh.

Buckfever
07-01-16, 10:05 am
DB Bench: 18x130s, 14x130s
DB Hammer Curls: 20, 18, 18, 18 x 45s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x180
Face Pulls alternating overhand/underhand grip: 3 each x 15 x 150 & 130

Almost 19 with the 130s. They were flying up. Nice job.

Pete Rubish
07-01-16, 5:30 pm
Hey Pete, have you tried messing with one of those shoulderoks to help out your shoulder? I'm too cheap to buy one, but started swinging around a heavy aluminum baseball bat that was laying around the house, and after only a couple weeks my tender rotator cuff is feeling super fresh.
I have not tried one yet and they are also outside of my price range. What has recently done the job more so than anything are DB scarecrows. I just added them back in and they have my shoulder feeling better than anything. I Just do 4-5 sets of 25 with the 5 lb DBs as part of my warmup and I feel much better.

Almost 19 with the 130s. They were flying up. Nice job.
Thanks buddy! I'm peaking it so that I go up in 10 lb increments each week. So next week will be the 140s all the way up to the 200s nine days before the meet. And then rest time!

Pete Rubish
07-02-16, 11:51 pm
And this is why I only train lower body once per week now. My body is destroyed from today. Achy as can be in my legs.

Deadlifts: 6x790 (massive PR), 4, 3, 3 x 790 (16 total reps at 790)
Bulgarian Split Squats: up to 13x255 each leg drop-set to 10x165 each leg
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 2x10x365

790 moved so fast, I had to look over after the second rep because I thought plates had fallen off. It literally felt effortless. I had 925 in me today, but if I can stay injury free and peak, the plan is 950 10 days out from BOB!

nickbustos
07-03-16, 12:53 am
Hey Pete I follow you on Instagram and I notice you use straps majority of your pull work. Why is that? I am just curious as to maybe it's just off season or do you even wear them going into a meet?

- Nick

Pete Rubish
07-03-16, 9:42 am
Hey Pete I follow you on Instagram and I notice you use straps majority of your pull work. Why is that? I am just curious as to maybe it's just off season or do you even wear them going into a meet?

- Nick
I use straps on all of my pulls in training whether offseason or meet prep. Right up to the meet I do no pulls without them. Reasoning being is that I can overload the weight, do a ton more volume, and not tear my hands open. I do grip training on the side.

Buckfever
07-03-16, 10:29 am
And this is why I only train lower body once per week now. My body is destroyed from today. Achy as can be in my legs.

Deadlifts: 6x790 (massive PR), 4, 3, 3 x 790 (16 total reps at 790)
Bulgarian Split Squats: up to 13x255 each leg drop-set to 10x165 each leg
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 2x10x365

790 moved so fast, I had to look over after the second rep because I thought plates had fallen off. It literally felt effortless. I had 925 in me today, but if I can stay injury free and peak, the plan is 950 10 days out from BOB!

Holding it at the top to deadpan the camera after 790X6. Priceless!

Pete Rubish
07-03-16, 10:41 am
Holding it at the top to deadpan the camera after 790X6. Priceless!
When I pulled 900, I had just done 800x4. So you can see why 790x6 is a huge deal. Barring injury, if this keeps up, the numbers I put up in the coming weeks will be massive. Only 6 more lower body training sessions until the meet!

Nmowery
07-03-16, 12:12 pm
I have not tried one yet and they are also outside of my price range. What has recently done the job more so than anything are DB scarecrows. I just added them back in and they have my shoulder feeling better than anything. I Just do 4-5 sets of 25 with the 5 lb DBs as part of my warmup and I feel much better.

Yea I definitely don't have the cash sitting around to drop on one of those things, either. I was just messing around with my kids a couple weeks ago, and took a few hacks with a baseball bat, and noticed how stiff and tight everything felt....so I said fuck it, why not swing a regular aluminum bat around like one of those shoulder roks, and sure enough it seems to be helping. I also warmup with some bands and light Dumbbells...just looked up those scarecrows and I've been doing those in my warmups, just didn't know anyone called them that.

Anyways...good luck with the shoulders heading into the meet, I know there's nothing more frustrating than missing out on gains because of lingering injuries and other annoying shit like that.

Pete Rubish
07-03-16, 4:01 pm
Yea I definitely don't have the cash sitting around to drop on one of those things, either. I was just messing around with my kids a couple weeks ago, and took a few hacks with a baseball bat, and noticed how stiff and tight everything felt....so I said fuck it, why not swing a regular aluminum bat around like one of those shoulder roks, and sure enough it seems to be helping. I also warmup with some bands and light Dumbbells...just looked up those scarecrows and I've been doing those in my warmups, just didn't know anyone called them that.

Anyways...good luck with the shoulders heading into the meet, I know there's nothing more frustrating than missing out on gains because of lingering injuries and other annoying shit like that.
I remember the days where it would ache so bad in bed I wouldn't be able to sleep and I could never lean on that side or sleep on that side. So now nearly 7 months later, it finally feels like things are turning the corner for the best.

Pete Rubish
07-04-16, 1:47 pm
Finger strength is coming back in the that sprained right middle finger. Very pleased with that development.

30 minute Rotator Cuff warmup
DB Bench Press: 15, 16 x 140s (both huge PRs)
DB Hammer Curls: 20, 18, 15, 15 x 50s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x190
Alternating Over/Under Grip Face Pulls: 3x15x140 underhand, 3x15x160 overhand
Smith Machine Shrugs w/double over grip: up to 3 plates + two 10s/side for 12 reps

bigpoppachizl
07-05-16, 11:09 am

Sweet baby Jesus lol. Get it Pete!!

Pete Rubish
07-05-16, 11:22 pm
Sweet baby Jesus lol. Get it Pete!!
Thanks buddy! I am very confident, it is coming together for it to happen. Right before I pulled 900 I did a tough 800 for 4 reps and seeing as how I just smoked 6x790, the writing is on the wall.

Buckfever
07-06-16, 8:46 am
Finger strength is coming back in the that sprained right middle finger. Very pleased with that development.

30 minute Rotator Cuff warmup
DB Bench Press: 15, 16 x 140s (both huge PRs)
DB Hammer Curls: 20, 18, 15, 15 x 50s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x190
Alternating Over/Under Grip Face Pulls: 3x15x140 underhand, 3x15x160 overhand
Smith Machine Shrugs w/double over grip: up to 3 plates + two 10s/side for 12 reps

Nice jump on the DB Bench.

Pete Rubish
07-06-16, 9:52 am
Nice jump on the DB Bench.
Pretty excited to go for 15x150s tomorrow. With me it's more a matter of high reps being tough for me than the actual weight. The gameplan is:

Thursday July 7: 150s for max reps
Monday July 11: 150s for max reps again
Thursday July 14: 160s for max reps
Monday July 18: 170s for max reps
Thursday July 21: 180s for max reps
Monday July 25: 190s for max reps
Thursday July 28: 200s for max reps
August 1 - 11: back to heavy barbell benching for four sessions

Bodyweight was 246.5 this morning, so still on track there for an easy cut. Just don't want to get above 250.

C.Coronato
07-06-16, 12:05 pm
Bodyweight was 246.5 this morning, so still on track there for an easy cut. Just don't want to get above 250.

Are you following any specific diet now? I know you had started working with Jansen, but didnt know if you still were

Altered Beast
07-06-16, 12:06 pm
New thread?

C.Coronato
07-06-16, 12:07 pm
New thread?

All the guys doing BoB3 started new threads leading to the comp

Altered Beast
07-06-16, 12:07 pm
All the guys doing BoB3 started new threads leading to the comp

I see. Trying to stay in the loop =)

Pete Rubish
07-06-16, 5:01 pm
Are you following any specific diet now? I know you had started working with Jansen, but didnt know if you still were
I am not working with Matt anymore, but that did help me. It gave me a template to follow whenever I'd like even if I substitute different foods. I'm not tracking anything this prep, it's simply a matter of cutting back on portions and meal frequency that is keeping my weight down from that 255-260 range that it go up to last meet prep.

New thread?
Yep, I like it here better because you don't have to go back three pages to find your thread lol.

Pete Rubish
07-07-16, 10:16 pm
Life's been giving me a rough go of it lately, but training is my escape right now. Just ready to focus on being a better person and being less self-centered, and hopefully things start looking up. I actually signed up for my first fundraiser. Never done one before in my life, but as the age of 25 comes up next month, I've been thinking more and more about giving back. Alzheimer's is a disease that runs in my family and essentially wipes out your loved one's memories and recollection of anything. So this is something I'd like to do and raise money for. The donation link is below.

http://act.alz.org/site/TR?px=12140099&fr_id=9297&pg=personal

Had a decent training session today:

DB Bench: 13, 13 x 150s (both one rep PRs, wanted 15, but it wasn't there)
DB Hammer Curls: 4x15x55s
Tricep Pushdowns w/straight-bar: 3x20x200
Alternating Underhand/Overhand Face Pulls: 3x15x120, 3x15x130

Also be sure to check out the new Animal cage video! It is amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooiM8tQMz8

DGymn
07-08-16, 8:17 am
Great log to follow! Can I ask how you found the mount of work and volume you can tolerate? And how you regulate your training? I feel like I'm missing out on progress because I'm doing more than I can recover from so I need to get my MRV right!

bigpoppachizl
07-08-16, 1:06 pm
Good for you on the fundraiser bud. It definitely feels good giving back. Especially for a cause that hits home.

Pete Rubish
07-08-16, 1:32 pm
Great log to follow! Can I ask how you found the mount of work and volume you can tolerate? And how you regulate your training? I feel like I'm missing out on progress because I'm doing more than I can recover from so I need to get my MRV right!
This is actually a great question. You want to get by on doing the least amount of volume as possible essentially in order to keep your body going for as long as possible. That is just my two cents. I'm looking at my body like I want it to be working well in another ten years and so I try to put it through less repetitions and do more in the form of warming up. I've been training for over ten years, so it's sort of been something I've just figured out along the way. But I have seen some huge success recently from putting my clients on a one day a week lower body approach as well. I would start with that and see how it goes. With upper body, you can start at anywhere from 2 to 3 days and adjust from there.

Good for you on the fundraiser bud. It definitely feels good giving back. Especially for a cause that hits home.
It does feel good. Never done anything like that. Trying to be less about me, me, me.

Buckfever
07-08-16, 5:18 pm
:-) Monster Lift!

Pete Rubish
07-08-16, 8:15 pm
:-) Monster Lift!
Thanks buddy! Had a few things come up, so I'll finish out the assistance work tomorrow. But here's what I did:

Deadlifts: 5x805, 3x805, 3x805, 2x805

The weight is getting up there to the point I'll probably have to only do two working sets with the heavy weight and then drop down and build back up next week. This is the first week I saw a noticeable drop-off on my backdown sets. So next week I'm aiming for 5x820, 2-3x820, 2x5x765, or something along those lines. 805 moved nicely on the first set, but I could tell a sixth rep wasn't going to be there. That being said, the fifth rep moved fast enough that I believe a grinder fifth rep is possible next week with 820. The other big thing to note is that I woke up this morning at 243 pounds bodyweight (aka I am very light right now). I'm in a great spot weight wise though and am going to treat myself tonight to a nice cheat meal of Doritos Loaded frozen bites, mac and cheese, and cream cheese brownies.

Buckfever
07-09-16, 12:06 pm
Thanks buddy! Had a few things come up, so I'll finish out the assistance work tomorrow. But here's what I did:

Deadlifts: 5x805, 3x805, 3x805, 2x805

The weight is getting up there to the point I'll probably have to only do two working sets with the heavy weight and then drop down and build back up next week. This is the first week I saw a noticeable drop-off on my backdown sets. So next week I'm aiming for 5x820, 2-3x820, 2x5x765, or something along those lines. 805 moved nicely on the first set, but I could tell a sixth rep wasn't going to be there. That being said, the fifth rep moved fast enough that I believe a grinder fifth rep is possible next week with 820. The other big thing to note is that I woke up this morning at 243 pounds bodyweight (aka I am very light right now). I'm in a great spot weight wise though and am going to treat myself tonight to a nice cheat meal of Doritos Loaded frozen bites, mac and cheese, and cream cheese brownies.

No question pulling that at that weight adds to the significance.

Pete Rubish
07-09-16, 4:59 pm
Eddie Hall just pulled 1102...I have no words...can you say goals

Finished up my training for the week today.

45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 12, 10 x 375
Barbell Bulgarian Split Squats: 12x265 + 10x175 each side
Shrugs w/double overhand up to 4 plates + 35/side on smith machine
Hammer Deadlift Machine Static Holds up to 8 plates/side

Pete Rubish
07-11-16, 10:02 pm
Nothing real notable. One rep PR on db bench from last week, but that's about it. On to the 160s on Thursday.

DB Bench: 14, 13 x 150s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x15x60s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 2x25, 21x200
Face Pulls alternating under/overhand: 3x15x140/3x15x160
Double Overhand Shrugs: 10x315, 2x10x325, 2x10x335

Buckfever
07-12-16, 8:40 am
Nothing real notable. One rep PR on db bench from last week, but that's about it. On to the 160s on Thursday.

DB Bench: 14, 13 x 150s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x15x60s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns: 2x25, 21x200
Face Pulls alternating under/overhand: 3x15x140/3x15x160
Double Overhand Shrugs: 10x315, 2x10x325, 2x10x335

Almost 15, looking good.

Pete Rubish
07-12-16, 11:19 am
Almost 15, looking good.
Thanks bud! Felt great, but I'm always thinking about the Saturday deadlift day on these bench days lol. One more bench day this week with the 160s and then it will be the fun one.

Lake County, Illinois isn't too far from where I grew up east of Madison, WI. My best friend is from Kildeer lol.

Pete Rubish
07-13-16, 11:42 am
Chomping at the bit to deadlift 820 for reps on Saturday. But first I get to throw around the 160 lb dumbbells tomorrow afternoon. My best with those is 8, but I think 10 should be there. 12 would be awesome, but who knows. Body feels very good right now. The right rotator cuff still aches a bit when I bench, but other than that I feel 100%. Best I've physically felt in probably 3 years.

J Wong
07-13-16, 12:06 pm
It's pretty amazing at the bench progress you are making for basically no barbell bench work and only using DBs for the bulk of your training.

Pete Rubish
07-13-16, 4:18 pm
It's pretty amazing at the bench progress you are making for basically no barbell bench work and only using DBs for the bulk of your training.
My right rotator cuff is still too jacked up to do volume work on barbell bench. So I will start doing singles for the last three bench sessions before the meet, but that's it. I even still feel it on dumbbell, but it's at least doable with those. I still don't really know what I did to it back in January when this happened.

FullBore
07-13-16, 5:14 pm
Hey Pete, I'm a long time fan that gets a great deal of inspiration and motivation from your amazing lifting. I hope you crush some Big PR's.
A couple things, where are the Squats, and is the goal to hit a prescribed number of quality reps at each percentage?
Thanks

Pete Rubish
07-14-16, 3:59 pm
Hey Pete, I'm a long time fan that gets a great deal of inspiration and motivation from your amazing lifting. I hope you crush some Big PR's.
A couple things, where are the Squats, and is the goal to hit a prescribed number of quality reps at each percentage?
Thanks
I appreciate hearing that buddy! I honestly don't do any squatting leading up to a meet because it's tough on my hips and forearms. So I pretty much go into the meet cold on squats and only train single-leg squats once a week. But the single-leg squats really hit my quads and glutes, so it somewhat makes up for it.

I don't do any percentage based training, rather it's a planned out progression when I'm planning my meet prep 10 weeks out. I pretty much have it all planned out ahead of time exactly what numbers I am going to hit each week.

Pete Rubish
07-14-16, 4:03 pm
Was planning to do 4x825 on deads, but the plates fell off at the top of my second rep and derailed that plan. So I improvised and hit my bench day instead.

DB Bench: 2x10x160s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x12x65s
Straight-Bar Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 3x15x110
Face Pulls alternating underhand/overhand grip: 3x15x150 & 3x15x170

I definitely need to temper my expectations a bit I think heading into this meet. Too often we get caught up in comparing ourselves to others when really we just need to focus on ourselves and getting better meet to meet. So realistically speaking, I think 2050 would be a much better goal and a heck of a lot more doable. Anything over that would be icing on the cake. But a 749 squat (27 lb meet PR), 446 bench (11 lb meet PR), and 854 deadlift (16 lb meet PR) would put me at 2050, which would be perfect.

Buckfever
07-14-16, 7:15 pm
That's too bad it was coming up fast. Was that a bad clamp? Bench was strong. When you going again?

Pete Rubish
07-14-16, 10:42 pm
That's too bad it was coming up fast. Was that a bad clamp? Bench was strong. When you going again?
When the plates are that close to the end and the clamps aren't A+ brand new, they don't hold sometimes. Everybody points out to throw more 100s on instead and it's not like I don't know this. But the further the weight distribution is the faster it moves, so I try to get by with as few 100s as possible for as long as possible because that's what I've been doing the last 9 months and I want to compare my numbers to the same standards as before. But going forward, I will likely have to use 3 100s per side and suck it up that it's going to be a lot tougher to break off the floor.

C.Coronato
07-15-16, 8:21 am
I am not working with Matt anymore, but that did help me. It gave me a template to follow whenever I'd like even if I substitute different foods. I'm not tracking anything this prep, it's simply a matter of cutting back on portions and meal frequency that is keeping my weight down from that 255-260 range that it go up to last meet prep.

Awesome bro, looking forward to following

Buckfever
07-19-16, 8:02 pm
For 10? Nice jump!!!

Pete Rubish
07-19-16, 8:30 pm
For 10? Nice jump!!!
Thanks man! My best before was 7 reps with those so pretty happy with that. Had a very minor pec tweak with those on my second set. Hoping I'll be okay by Saturday to go again.

DB Bench: 10x170s, 6x170s (cut short due to pec tweak)
DB Hammer Curls: 2x12x70s, 2x10x70s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 3x12x140
Face Pulls: 4x15x180
Pec Fly Machine: up to 10x200
Double Overhand Static Holds: 365, 385, 405

SMuncey
07-20-16, 8:51 am
Crazy strong brother, definitely inspiring to all of us.

Pete Rubish
07-20-16, 4:45 pm
Crazy strong brother, definitely inspiring to all of us.
Thank you! I'm doing my best!

Back on track today on deadlifts

Deadlifts: 4x830, 5x765, 5x750
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10x275 drop set to 10x185
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 2x10x385

Buckfever
07-20-16, 11:18 pm
Thank you! I'm doing my best!

Back on track today on deadlifts

Deadlifts: 4x830, 5x765, 5x750
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10x275 drop set to 10x185
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 2x10x385

That was awesome! You would not be denied that 4th rep!

Pete Rubish
07-22-16, 9:35 am
That was awesome! You would not be denied that 4th rep!
Two days later and I am still destroyed from that. I remember when I used to pull 800 for singles how beaten down I'd feel in the days that followed. Any time I get in that 800+ range, my nervous system and adrenal glands take a beating. It takes about four days of full rest to recover. I'll probably give benching a go again on Sunday. Overall, my body feels good, I'm just destroyed still from that day. Lots of sleep for me!

Pete Rubish
07-23-16, 6:08 pm
Very, very happy with how today went. Was feeling incredibly strong.

DB Bench: 6x180s, 2x200s, 20x140s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x10x75s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20x110, 20x120, 17x130
Face Pulls: 15x150, 12x190, 12x200

Buckfever
07-23-16, 7:35 pm
Very, very happy with how today went. Was feeling incredibly strong.

DB Bench: 6x180s, 2x200s, 20x140s
DB Hammer Curls: 4x10x75s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20x110, 20x120, 17x130
Face Pulls: 15x150, 12x190, 12x200

I guess the tweak on the pec wasn't anything. Man this is looking really good. And 20X140s on the backdown, just for friends.

FullBore
07-23-16, 8:37 pm
Super strong, you're going to crush some big weights at BOB III !!

Pete Rubish
07-24-16, 8:07 pm
I guess the tweak on the pec wasn't anything. Man this is looking really good. And 20X140s on the backdown, just for friends.
Yeah, the 140s have never felt like they did yesterday. They were a joke. I was also shocked at how fast the 180s were moving. I think if I re-peak quickly I can maybe bang out the 200s for 4 coming up here.

Super strong, you're going to crush some big weights at BOB III !!
I think so too! Can't wait to see what happens

So not too much time left to play with this, so going to hit grip hard the next three weeks.

Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/fat-gripz: 1x225, 2x275, 2x295
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: 10x120, 10x130, 10x140, 10x160

Moving out of Knoxville to my new apartment in Oak Ridge the next two days, so going to be pretty beat. I don't have a ton to move, but moving still sucks. Weight has been really high lately (255), so moving in the blazing heat should help. It's 95 all week.

Pete Rubish
07-27-16, 6:44 pm
With my cortisol levels through the roof and having moved all day Monday I couldn't even budge 855 off the ground. Beyond frustrated, but these things happen. Going to regroup and pull again in a few days and keep gunning for that 2050 total at this meet.

Buckfever
07-27-16, 9:14 pm
With my cortisol levels through the roof and having moved all day Monday I couldn't even budge 855 off the ground. Beyond frustrated, but these things happen. Going to regroup and pull again in a few days and keep gunning for that 2050 total at this meet.

You got time, it'll be fine.

Pete Rubish
07-29-16, 1:30 am
You got time, it'll be fine.
I got back on track tonight!

This was my first time barbell benching since the meet, so was curious where it was going to be at. I know my dumbbell bench has blown up and as soon as I started warming up and felt how much control I had on my negatives, I knew it was going to be good. Went up to 460 and called it there, but felt I had 470-475 in me. I will try 475-480 in 10-14 days and hit a few more dumbbell bench sessions before then:

Paused Bench: up to 460
DB Bench: 5x180s, 16x150s, 6x130s (stopped, pec felt weird)
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 10, 11, 12 x 140
Face Pulls: 2x15x200, 15x190, 15x180
Pec Fly Machine: up to 10x220
DB Hammer Curls: 2x12x80s, 2x10x80s

GunRock
07-29-16, 2:06 am

This was my first time barbell benching since the meet, so was curious where it was going to be at. I know my dumbbell bench has blown up and as soon as I started warming up and felt how much control I had on my negatives, I knew it was going to be good. Went up to 460 and called it there, but felt I had 470-475 in me. I will try 475-480 in 10-14 days and hit a few more dumbbell bench sessions before then:

That's impressive Pete! I've been checking you out on YouTube and your sessions are really impressive. Even when you don't get a weight; I take a lot away from how you approach the miss as just a temporary thing.

Haven't forgotten what I promised you by the way.

Stay blessed Brother.

Buckfever
07-29-16, 1:54 pm

Back on track and then some!

Pete Rubish
07-30-16, 8:09 am
That's impressive Pete! I've been checking you out on YouTube and your sessions are really impressive. Even when you don't get a weight; I take a lot away from how you approach the miss as just a temporary thing.

Haven't forgotten what I promised you by the way.

Stay blessed Brother.
Thanks John! So much of it is simply mental and getting your head right. When I have a bad day, I often step back, get my mind right, and give it a go another day.

Back on track and then some!
Definitely! Even deadlifts couldn't have gone any better!

Deadlifts: 2x875 @ RPE 9,
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 8x405

After each one of these sets my back was toast and I had literally nothing left in me. But happy to have hit those numbers and happy with where my bodyweight is at being only 5 lbs over the 242 limit. Three weeks out!

bigpoppachizl
07-30-16, 8:59 am
That 875 x 2 was ridiculous dude!! Wtf... And I love the silent walk off... like that's a wrap. I'm done here. Cut the tape lmao

Nice work man!!! Better recognize!!!

Pete Rubish
07-30-16, 6:59 pm
That 875 x 2 was ridiculous dude!! Wtf... And I love the silent walk off... like that's a wrap. I'm done here. Cut the tape lmao

Nice work man!!! Better recognize!!!
Didn't even get hyped for it. I was just like "ehhh, this is whatever." The plates being that far out really did make it a hell of a lot easier to break off the floor. I'll try 895x2 a go soon here.

Back to hammering the grip work today. Feeling more and more confident about it.

Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 1 trip with 3 plates, 2 trips with 3 plates + 10/side, 1 trip with 3 plates/side
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 10x190
Barbell Split Squats: 10x295 each leg, 10x215 each leg

Buckfever
07-31-16, 10:14 am
Just saw that pull. That really came up good.

Pete Rubish
08-01-16, 7:17 pm
Just saw that pull. That really came up good.
It was moving very well that day. I basically didn't get pumped at all either, so that was a bit odd for me.

Was working up on bench today and was at 430 when halfway down my left bicep tendon popped. It's just a strain and is a little sore, but nothing too bad. I just may not be benching heavy if at all until meet day in 19 days. But these things happen. I always feel like these injuries are our body's way of reminding us that we need to be smart and conservative. So I have mentally realigned myself to focus on the goal of 2050 at Boss of Bosses once again instead of getting ahead of myself and aiming for a possibly doable, but very ambitious 2100. 2050 would be 55 lbs over last meet and would basically break down as:

755 squat, 446 bench, 848 deadlift. All very doable in my book, but still would require a good day and I have no idea how bench will go given this injury.

Randy Sullivan
08-02-16, 6:12 am
It was moving very well that day. I basically didn't get pumped at all either, so that was a bit odd for me.

Was working up on bench today and was at 430 when halfway down my left bicep tendon popped. It's just a strain and is a little sore, but nothing too bad. I just may not be benching heavy if at all until meet day in 19 days. But these things happen. I always feel like these injuries are our body's way of reminding us that we need to be smart and conservative. So I have mentally realigned myself to focus on the goal of 2050 at Boss of Bosses once again instead of getting ahead of myself and aiming for a possibly doable, but very ambitious 2100. 2050 would be 55 lbs over last meet and would basically break down as:

755 squat, 446 bench, 848 deadlift. All very doable in my book, but still would require a good day and I have no idea how bench will go given this injury.

Hey Pete, good luck at BoB III! I hope everyone competing hits a PR or several :)

Altered Beast
08-02-16, 11:34 am

875 x 2 Reps! Need I say more? You were fried at that point, LOL!

C.Coronato
08-03-16, 2:19 pm
Coming to work the Animal booth at BOB3, see ya out there brotha!!

FullBore
08-03-16, 4:20 pm
I just watched your 905 Deadlift, you are killing it man !!

Buckfever
08-03-16, 7:22 pm
Smooth.

Randy Sullivan
08-04-16, 6:25 am

Yeah, it looked like Pete had a lot left in the tank too. 905 looked very easy.

Pete Rubish
08-05-16, 8:36 am
Hey Pete, good luck at BoB III! I hope everyone competing hits a PR or several :)
I think it's going to go very well. I foresee a huge day from all the competitors.

875 x 2 Reps! Need I say more? You were fried at that point, LOL!
I honestly probably had a third in me!

Coming to work the Animal booth at BOB3, see ya out there brotha!!
I'm very happy to hear that! I can't wait to see all the crew again!

I was thinking about trying for two, but based on the speed of the first rep, it just wasn't quite there.

Smooth.
It felt pretty good. And now I have a little more in the tank for next week.

Yeah, it looked like Pete had a lot left in the tank too. 905 looked very easy.
I will be going a little higher next week for my final heavy day.

Pete Rubish
08-05-16, 8:38 am
Deadlifts: up to 905
Bulgarian Split Squats: 8x305, 8x235
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 8x415

Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/fat-gripz: 365, 365, 345, 335, 325
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 8x200

Randy Sullivan
08-05-16, 1:29 pm
I think it's going to go very well. I foresee a huge day from all the competitors.

I honestly probably had a third in me!

I'm very happy to hear that! I can't wait to see all the crew again!

I was thinking about trying for two, but based on the speed of the first rep, it just wasn't quite there.

It felt pretty good. And now I have a little more in the tank for next week.

I will be going a little higher next week for my final heavy day.

Awesome, can't wait to see the video! I start over on squats today. Just doing 1 set with 135 lbs. for 5 reps. Monday will be deadlift with 135 lbs. for 1 set of 5 reps. I'm slowly going to build back up to squat and deadlift since getting severely injured in April 2015 while preparing for a 600 deadlift at a meet in VA. I got up to a 475 lb squat and a 565 lb. deadlift. Basically I was deadlifting and squatting heavy (4x4, 3x3, 3x2x1, and singles, etc.), twice each a week, every week for 3 months straight. I checked with the doctor, got an MRI, no hernia. The doctor believes its a severe strain with a lot of scar tissue built up that is secreting inflammation every time I squat and especially deadlift. That's what I get for not listening to my body. I know better next time. Starting over sucks but it sucks even more lifting while injured to the point that it feels like you're getting kicked in your groin every time you do a rep on squat and deadlift. I'd rather be able to do both exercises with no pain in my perineum at all.

Pete - you and I have the same body frame. I'm around 235-240 lbs. 6'3.

Samtomerlim
08-05-16, 9:50 pm
Deadlifts: up to 905
Bulgarian Split Squats: 8x305, 8x235
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 8x415

Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/fat-gripz: 365, 365, 345, 335, 325
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 8x200

Killing it Pete. Been following you for a while now. Every pull is ridiculously impressive. Keep it up man, going to be some crazy numbers!

joshjean
08-09-16, 1:50 pm
Hey Pete, I've been watching your videos over the last few months and I was wondering why you don't put the 100lb plates on after the 45s, it would add a little more whip to the bar much like when you put the kilo plates on the ends in your last deadlift video?

Buckfever
08-10-16, 8:24 pm
It's going to be a good meet.

Altered Beast
08-11-16, 11:30 am
Really wanting to see that 920 Pull. Where can we find it?

Tyler Roy
08-12-16, 10:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxp58WvcWdw Here you go boys! The 920 pull is at the 10 min mark. Awesome job, Pete. Wish you the best of luck at the upcoming meet.

Pete Rubish
08-12-16, 2:29 pm
Awesome, can't wait to see the video! I start over on squats today. Just doing 1 set with 135 lbs. for 5 reps. Monday will be deadlift with 135 lbs. for 1 set of 5 reps. I'm slowly going to build back up to squat and deadlift since getting severely injured in April 2015 while preparing for a 600 deadlift at a meet in VA. I got up to a 475 lb squat and a 565 lb. deadlift. Basically I was deadlifting and squatting heavy (4x4, 3x3, 3x2x1, and singles, etc.), twice each a week, every week for 3 months straight. I checked with the doctor, got an MRI, no hernia. The doctor believes its a severe strain with a lot of scar tissue built up that is secreting inflammation every time I squat and especially deadlift. That's what I get for not listening to my body. I know better next time. Starting over sucks but it sucks even more lifting while injured to the point that it feels like you're getting kicked in your groin every time you do a rep on squat and deadlift. I'd rather be able to do both exercises with no pain in my perineum at all.

Pete - you and I have the same body frame. I'm around 235-240 lbs. 6'3.
I had a period of about two years where I couldn't compete or squat at all because my right hip labrum was giving me so many issues. There were many days where I was unsure if I would be able to come back and be competing full power again. So I can relate to that and how awful it feels to know you can't do what you love. That's why I'm a lot more cautious these days about what I do and listening to my body. I really want to be doing this for the foreseeable future so I have to be smart.

Killing it Pete. Been following you for a while now. Every pull is ridiculously impressive. Keep it up man, going to be some crazy numbers!
Thanks buddy! It's been a fun ride. God willing, I hope it keeps up.

Hey Pete, I've been watching your videos over the last few months and I was wondering why you don't put the 100lb plates on after the 45s, it would add a little more whip to the bar much like when you put the kilo plates on the ends in your last deadlift video?
Just tried that this last go around and felt like it helped a bit! Thanks for the tip!

It's going to be a good meet.
I'm 100% in agreement there! One more grip day on Sunday and then I'm shutting it all down until the meet. I was tempted to pull 945 on Sunday, but I figure I should hold back and come into the meet fresh.

Just got put up today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxp58WvcWdw Here you go boys! The 920 pull is at the 10 min mark. Awesome job, Pete. Wish you the best of luck at the upcoming meet.
Thanks man! I'll do my best out there!

Buckfever
08-12-16, 3:33 pm
Oh wow I just saw the 920 pull, holy crap that was easy. No need to go higher now, you're there. Smart move, shows a lot of maturity.

Pete Rubish
08-15-16, 2:47 am
Oh wow I just saw the 920 pull, holy crap that was easy. No need to go higher now, you're there. Smart move, shows a lot of maturity.
I really wanted to try 945 but better to play it smart.

Randy Sullivan
08-16-16, 6:34 am
What did you do to conquer the injury? Did you stay away from squats and deadlifts for some length of time then gradually work your way back to the weight you were doing? Did you see a chiropractor or just did mobility work on your own?

I'm glad that injury is behind you and definitely a smart move not trying 945 (with as easy as 920 was) with it being so close to the meet. I'll be looking online Saturday to see if the meet will be streaming anywhere.

Pete Rubish
08-16-16, 9:46 am
What did you do to conquer the injury? Did you stay away from squats and deadlifts for some length of time then gradually work your way back to the weight you were doing? Did you see a chiropractor or just did mobility work on your own?

I'm glad that injury is behind you and definitely a smart move not trying 945 (with as easy as 920 was) with it being so close to the meet. I'll be looking online Saturday to see if the meet will be streaming anywhere.
I did stay away from squats for almost two years and worked back in some single leg work. Mobility work was also a must during this period and I went to a chiropractor and ART guy.

Pete Rubish
08-16-16, 9:49 am
Training is all done leading up to the meet, weight is at 242, now it's just time to get out there and take care of business on Saturday.

On a side note, you have to have thick skin in this business. This is half the reason I don't even bother reading comments on videos anymore. Some of the things people say are just flat out awful and a lof of it comes from teenagers living at home with no morals or values. I'd love to get my hands on some of these people.

/rant

Nmowery
08-16-16, 11:28 am
Dude I can't believe some of the shit I see people talk on Instagram...and it's pretty much all young kids popping off just because they can. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you crush it at bob3.

Altered Beast
08-16-16, 12:06 pm
Dude I can't believe some of the shit I see people talk on Instagram...and it's pretty much all young kids popping off just because they can. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you crush it at bob3.

It's most likely young idiots on excessive amounts of UGL shit gear that have nothing else to do. Just gotta laugh at em! If you go to their IG pages it's typically a "private account".

Randy Sullivan
08-16-16, 1:30 pm
Training is all done leading up to the meet, weight is at 242, now it's just time to get out there and take care of business on Saturday.

On a side note, you have to have thick skin in this business. This is half the reason I don't even bother reading comments on videos anymore. Some of the things people say are just flat out awful and a lof of it comes from teenagers living at home with no morals or values. I'd love to get my hands on some of these people.

/rant

In the end, they are just jealous. People will find excuses about why someone can do something that they can't. That old saying is true - "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Good luck in your meet man. Focus on your goals and stay positive.

Danny Sullivan
08-16-16, 3:20 pm

/rant

People are haters in general and I think they love to hate to be honest. I'm noticing it now in the gym I belong to. You get focused on something with set goals and when you start progressing towards set goals, haters start hating to try to bring you down. Same goes for comments on videos. It really shows people's maturity, or lack thereof when they can't be happy for someone who is reaching for the stars to hit their goals. Jealousy is such an ugly trait. Keep doing you man and prove them all wrong. We all believe in ya buddy!

Pete Rubish
08-16-16, 4:11 pm

It's most likely young idiots on excessive amounts of UGL shit gear that have nothing else to do. Just gotta laugh at em! If you go to their IG pages it's typically a "private account".

In the end, they are just jealous. People will find excuses about why someone can do something that they can't. That old saying is true - "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Good luck in your meet man. Focus on your goals and stay positive.

People are haters in general and I think they love to hate to be honest. I'm noticing it now in the gym I belong to. You get focused on something with set goals and when you start progressing towards set goals, haters start hating to try to bring you down. Same goes for comments on videos. It really shows people's maturity, or lack thereof when they can't be happy for someone who is reaching for the stars to hit their goals. Jealousy is such an ugly trait. Keep doing you man and prove them all wrong. We all believe in ya buddy!
It's not even that that I have a problem with people talking bad about me, or my lifts, or pointing out acne scars on my arms. It's when I see comments essentially referring to my girlfriend in the manner of a sex object that I'm ready to snap necks. They are few and far between, but it makes my blood boil because if given the chance I would humble them real fast. That's where my line is drawn. Say all you want about me, I really don't care, but when you start disrespecting my girl I'm going to snap. Where are our morals these days that that is okay? I would never talk about someone else's wife, girlfriend, mother, sister, or daughter like that.

Randy Sullivan
08-17-16, 6:33 am
It's not even that that I have a problem with people talking bad about me, or my lifts, or pointing out acne scars on my arms. It's when I see comments essentially referring to my girlfriend in the manner of a sex object that I'm ready to snap necks. They are few and far between, but it makes my blood boil because if given the chance I would humble them real fast. That's where my line is drawn. Say all you want about me, I really don't care, but when you start disrespecting my girl I'm going to snap. Where are our morals these days that that is okay? I would never talk about someone else's wife, girlfriend, mother, sister, or daughter like that.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. The sad part is, a lot of internet trolls will try to get a rise out of someone by referring to the women in that person's life as sex objects. That just shows the kind of class those people are. They are classless and ridiculously immature. For them, morals are thrown out the window. That kind of person simply doesn't care. It's enough to make anyone's blood boil. However, I think they say ridiculous things like that because they know that they can never get a girl like yours so they try to make themselves feel better by referring to that woman as nothing more than a sex object. They are just being keyboard warriors and would never have the guts to say it to someone's face. They will never learn or grow up for that matter.

Altered Beast
08-17-16, 11:35 am
Pete, you're the man! You're going to crush this meet.

Regarding the keyboard minions, that is why I stay off of FB. I'll post vids to IG and have it also send it over to FB just for grins to annoy people =)

Danny Sullivan
08-17-16, 11:59 am

Sorry you have to deal with all that man. People can be just cruel at times and will say anything to try to get under one's skin. I can definitely see why when people rise in popularity on social media they read fewer and fewer comments from people. The more popular you become, the more haters you acquire, it seems.

Danny Sullivan
08-17-16, 1:30 pm
The more popular you become, the more haters you acquire, it seems.

I should clarify this one - I didn't mean you in particular here. I meant anyone who becomes a public figure.

FullBore
08-18-16, 3:04 pm
I'm curious, what kind of Deadlift Bar do you train with? Kick some arse this weekend Pete.

Buckfever
08-18-16, 11:49 pm
You're ready. Get it!

Tyler Roy
08-19-16, 10:10 am
I'm curious, what kind of Deadlift Bar do you train with? Kick some arse this weekend Pete.

Pretty sure its a texas deadlift bar

Buckfever
08-21-16, 8:31 am
What an impressive performance. Of all the lifters it's crazy to me how much more top end potential you still have. Congratulations!!!

Buckfever
08-21-16, 9:05 pm
Also I just saw the 865 pull and I think you had it. I think the collar not holding and the plates sliding off, is why you lost the grip.

FullBore
08-21-16, 9:40 pm
Nice work Pete, it's a shame the loader didn't tighten the collar, that 865 would have been yours.

Pete Rubish
08-23-16, 7:37 pm
Pete, you're the man! You're going to crush this meet.

Regarding the keyboard minions, that is why I stay off of FB. I'll post vids to IG and have it also send it over to FB just for grins to annoy people =)
It went pretty well, even though I was a little shy of the goal. Had the plates not fallen off on that last pull, my total would have been 2045!

I should clarify this one - I didn't mean you in particular here. I meant anyone who becomes a public figure.
That is very true. The more successful you become at something, the worse it gets and it is just one of those things you have to deal with.

Texas deadlift bar, I love them!

Pretty sure its a texas deadlift bar
Yep!

What an impressive performance. Of all the lifters it's crazy to me how much more top end potential you still have. Congratulations!!!

Also I just saw the 865 pull and I think you had it. I think the collar not holding and the plates sliding off, is why you lost the grip.
If I can stay injury free, then I definitely think the sky is the limit! My left quad is a little strained from squatting and my forearms had a little tendinitis, but other than that I feel pretty good. Just taking a few days off. Already committed to Jesse Burdick's meet Reebok Record Breakers in 11 week!

Nice work Pete, it's a shame the loader didn't tighten the collar, that 865 would have been yours.
It is, but I said this on facebook. At the end of the day they're volunteers doing a thankless job and mistakes are going to happen. I will definitely go above and beyond 865 at my meet in November, so it's okay being that there's always another one.

FullBore
08-24-16, 12:29 pm
That's a great attitude Pete. Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing you smash world records.

Randy Sullivan
08-25-16, 1:12 pm
Awesome job at Boss of Bosses III Pete and congrats on totaling over 2,000 lbs!

Pete Rubish
08-26-16, 4:01 pm
That's a great attitude Pete. Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing you smash world records.
I think this next meet is going to be the big one where I really make my mark. Today was very encouraging!

Awesome job at Boss of Bosses III Pete and congrats on totaling over 2,000 lbs!
Thank you! Feels good to be in the 2k realm and on my way to 2100 at this next meet.

So with 10 weeks to go before Reebok Record Breakers I figure we'll keep this training log going. Today was a huge day for me. I hit a huge volume PR of 18 total reps with 785 lbs and hit PRs on back raises. The leg presses also blew my legs up, which was the goal, so that is a great sign. And no knee pain from that so far! Last meet prep I hit 14 reps with 765 in week 1, so this was a huge day.

Deadlifts: 3x785 (plates fell off), 5.9x785, 3x3x785
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 18x315, 16x325
Leg Press: 2x40x2 100 lb plates/side, 45x2 100 lb plates/side

The back pump was insane from this day.

Buckfever
08-26-16, 5:55 pm
I think this next meet is going to be the big one where I really make my mark. Today was very encouraging!

Thank you! Feels good to be in the 2k realm and on my way to 2100 at this next meet.

So with 10 weeks to go before Reebok Record Breakers I figure we'll keep this training log going. Today was a huge day for me. I hit a huge volume PR of 18 total reps with 785 lbs and hit PRs on back raises. The leg presses also blew my legs up, which was the goal, so that is a great sign. And no knee pain from that so far! Last meet prep I hit 14 reps with 765 in week 1, so this was a huge day.

Talk about hitting the ground running. Man you pushed those back raises!!!

RobDaSavage
08-27-16, 8:26 pm

Great job again brotha, looking forward to seeing you get closer to that goal and hit 2100. Your deadlift volume is insane, back pumps from reading that lol.

Pete Rubish
08-27-16, 8:56 pm
Talk about hitting the ground running. Man you pushed those back raises!!!
I know I need to give it everything I've got this prep to hit my goals of 1005 in the gym and 925 in the meet! So I am pushing it harder than I have the last preps even. My girlfriend was remarking how I already seem way more motivated than most preps.

Great job again brotha, looking forward to seeing you get closer to that goal and hit 2100. Your deadlift volume is insane, back pumps from reading that lol.
Thanks Rob! And great to see you on here. Congrats again on joining the team and it was well deserved!

2100 I think will for sure fall at Record Breakers in 10 weeks. I am feeling a 901 meet pull coming up here, which would certainly put me over that mark.

Today I was feeling pretty achy in my whole upper body, so benching felt pretty rough, but I'm not upset at all with this starting point.

Paused Bench: 6x365
DB Bench: 22x120s
Rear-Delt Cable Flyes: 30x30, 30x40, 20x50
Reverse Pec Fly Machine: 15x100, 2x15x90
Pec Fly Machine: up to 20x160
V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 3x25x80
DB Hammer Curls: 25, 26, 31 x 35 lb DBs

Nmowery
08-27-16, 11:15 pm
Just saw the vid of the 785x5.99999...and now all I want to do is create a clamp that will actually hold your shit on for you

Pete Rubish
08-29-16, 12:33 am
Just saw the vid of the 785x5.99999...and now all I want to do is create a clamp that will actually hold your shit on for you
Better clips would certainly be beneficial!

Grip Day:

up to 495 double overhand w/o wraps
Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat Gripz: 4 trips with 3 plates/side
One-Hand Barbell Holds: 4 sets max time with 185 lbs
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 15x210
Captains of Crush 2.5s: 2 x 4 reps each hand (not complete closes)

Tyler Roy
08-29-16, 11:54 am
I had to do a double take when I read that 1005 gym pull will happen this prep. Can't wait to see that happen, not too many people would be able to TALK SHIT NOW after that...actually...its the internet, people will always talk shit haha.

RobDaSavage
08-29-16, 2:00 pm
I know I need to give it everything I've got this prep to hit my goals of 1005 in the gym and 925 in the meet! So I am pushing it harder than I have the last preps even. My girlfriend was remarking how I already seem way more motivated than most preps.

Thanks Rob! And great to see you on here. Congrats again on joining the team and it was well deserved!

2100 I think will for sure fall at Record Breakers in 10 weeks. I am feeling a 901 meet pull coming up here, which would certainly put me over that mark.

Today I was feeling pretty achy in my whole upper body, so benching felt pretty rough, but I'm not upset at all with this starting point.

Paused Bench: 6x365
DB Bench: 22x120s
Rear-Delt Cable Flyes: 30x30, 30x40, 20x50
Reverse Pec Fly Machine: 15x100, 2x15x90
Pec Fly Machine: up to 20x160
V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 3x25x80
DB Hammer Curls: 25, 26, 31 x 35 lb DBs

Thank you brotha, I'll be on here as much as I can been a few months and still figuring things out.
Man a 901! thats insane and will be legit AF. Wish I could make that meet, going to be sick!

Pete Rubish
09-02-16, 10:31 am
I had to do a double take when I read that 1005 gym pull will happen this prep. Can't wait to see that happen, not too many people would be able to TALK SHIT NOW after that...actually...its the internet, people will always talk shit haha.
I got to push them even harder at the Animal Gym! Just got back home from Animal headquarters!

Thank you brotha, I'll be on here as much as I can been a few months and still figuring things out.
Man a 901! thats insane and will be legit AF. Wish I could make that meet, going to be sick!
Thanks man! Best of luck at your next meet! I'll keep an eye on your training as well.

So just got back 9 hours ago from three days of shooting for Animal out in New Jersey. It was a great trip and I think you guys are REALLY going to like what we got done. Crazy training sessions, a big on a budget video, interviews, and all sorts of other stuff!

Deadlifiting at Skiba's Gym. One of the toughest training sessions I've done on four days rest:

Deadlifts: 6x3x800
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 18x335, 14x345

Tyler Roy
09-02-16, 11:18 am
Big on a budget?! Hell yes. I commented on an Animal vid that we needed a PR version just about a month ago. Like 5 people thought it was just gonna be a shopping cart full of red velvet Oreos haha. 10$ says you snagged a few boxes of creamy 4 cheese rice-a-roni.

Pete Rubish
09-03-16, 10:26 am
Big on a budget?! Hell yes. I commented on an Animal vid that we needed a PR version just about a month ago. Like 5 people thought it was just gonna be a shopping cart full of red velvet Oreos haha. 10$ says you snagged a few boxes of creamy 4 cheese rice-a-roni.
I was somewhat limited with my options so couldn't fit that in, but it ill be quite a bit different than all the other one's. I did get juice lol.

Paused Bench: 6x375 easy as can be
DB Bench: 22, 15 x 130s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 3x20x90
DB Hammer Curls: 3x30x40s
Reverse Pec Fly: 3x15x120, 1x15x110
Face Pulls w/underhand grip: 4x15x130
Pec Fly Machine: up to 10x280

DGymn
09-03-16, 5:01 pm
Pete, I really hope you keep posting now that BOB is over!

Pete Rubish
09-04-16, 4:47 pm
I will for sure, but I plan to keep my log in here still since I don't have to go back three pages every day to find it lol.

Grip day from Saturday:

Double Overhand Deadlift Grip Test: 515 pretty easy
One-Arm Barbell Holds: 4 sets each side with 205
Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 335, 335, 315
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps for grip: up to 15x230
Captains of Crush 2.5s: 3x8 each side

RobDaSavage
09-05-16, 6:31 pm
I got to push them even harder at the Animal Gym! Just got back home from Animal headquarters!

Thanks man! Best of luck at your next meet! I'll keep an eye on your training as well.

So just got back 9 hours ago from three days of shooting for Animal out in New Jersey. It was a great trip and I think you guys are REALLY going to like what we got done. Crazy training sessions, a big on a budget video, interviews, and all sorts of other stuff!

Deadlifiting at Skiba's Gym. One of the toughest training sessions I've done on four days rest:

Deadlifts: 6x3x800
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 18x335, 14x345

Awesome, any advice you can trough out if you see that I need, please feel free. I did pull a technique you mentioned twisting the elbows in. I normally keep a tight upper back but getting
heavier in the deadlift I know I need to home in on technique even more.
Love to catch an ABC event with ya one day soon.

Pete Rubish
09-05-16, 7:59 pm
Awesome, any advice you can trough out if you see that I need, please feel free. I did pull a technique you mentioned twisting the elbows in. I normally keep a tight upper back but getting
heavier in the deadlift I know I need to home in on technique even more.
Love to catch an ABC event with ya one day soon.
That's the biggest thing I see with your pull that could be improved. You just grip, dip, and rip. But I would prefer it if you got your grip and then locked your arms tight to tighten up your upper back and lats, look up, and then pull. Slow down the setup a bit and you'll do even better. The potential is there for an 850 pull at this next meet for you in January.

Another grip day today. Back, hamstrings, and glutes were not at all ready to go heavy again. I'm STILL feeling it from that 6x3x800 from last Tuesday.

Double Overhand Deadlifts: up to 525 (ties all time PR, held it longer too)
Coan Holds (each hand): 225, 205, 205, 205
Trap-Bar Framer Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 365, 315, 315
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 12x250
Captains of Crush: 3x10 x 2.5s

FullBore
09-06-16, 3:23 pm

I will for sure, but I plan to keep my log in here still since I don't have to go back three pages every day to find it lol.

Grip day from Saturday:

Double Overhand Deadlift Grip Test: 515 pretty easy
One-Arm Barbell Holds: 4 sets each side with 205
Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 335, 335, 315
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps for grip: up to 15x230
Captains of Crush 2.5s: 3x8 each side

Great news, thanks Pete.

RobDaSavage
09-06-16, 8:48 pm
That's the biggest thing I see with your pull that could be improved. You just grip, dip, and rip. But I would prefer it if you got your grip and then locked your arms tight to tighten up your upper back and lats, look up, and then pull. Slow down the setup a bit and you'll do even better. The potential is there for an 850 pull at this next meet for you in January.

Another grip day today. Back, hamstrings, and glutes were not at all ready to go heavy again. I'm STILL feeling it from that 6x3x800 from last Tuesday.

Double Overhand Deadlifts: up to 525 (ties all time PR, held it longer too)
Coan Holds (each hand): 225, 205, 205, 205
Trap-Bar Framer Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 365, 315, 315
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 12x250
Captains of Crush: 3x10 x 2.5s

Im gonna give it a go to slow it down, main reason I move so fast is i take one breath of air and use my speed off the floor. the pressure from my stomach in the bottom gets me uncomfortable if im down to long.
I have a few months to work on it so I will. Thanks Pete

Pete Rubish
09-07-16, 6:27 pm
Great news, thanks Pete.
Of course! You're welcome!

Im gonna give it a go to slow it down, main reason I move so fast is i take one breath of air and use my speed off the floor. the pressure from my stomach in the bottom gets me uncomfortable if im down to long.
I have a few months to work on it so I will. Thanks Pete
In order to make the transition, you would likely need to take your air at the bottom. So that is something to think about. That is what I do. And it feels a little odd giving advice to such an elite lifter lol, but I appreciate the humility that you're even willing to do so. I'm not telling you to switch though necessarily either, what you've been doing is obviously working. Your pull is going up 20-30 every meet.

Not my best day. Had no endurance and muscles were giving out early.

Paused Bench: 5.5x385
DB Bench: 18x140s, 12x140s (meh)
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20, 21, 22 x 100
Pec Fly Machine: up to 300 lb stack x 8
DB Hammer Curls: 3x30x45s

RobDaSavage
09-08-16, 10:16 am
Of course! You're welcome!

In order to make the transition, you would likely need to take your air at the bottom. So that is something to think about. That is what I do. And it feels a little odd giving advice to such an elite lifter lol, but I appreciate the humility that you're even willing to do so. I'm not telling you to switch though necessarily either, what you've been doing is obviously working. Your pull is going up 20-30 every meet.

Not my best day. Had no endurance and muscles were giving out early.

Paused Bench: 5.5x385
DB Bench: 18x140s, 12x140s (meh)
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20, 21, 22 x 100
Pec Fly Machine: up to 300 lb stack x 8
DB Hammer Curls: 3x30x45s

Im always open to advice or adjustments. The best way I've found to be efficient is to listen to as many established lifters as I can and atleast try to apply techniques. My pull has progressively changed over the past few years. So I appreciate that you are taking the time to throw some stuff out there. It could help someone else as well. Your pressing 140s looked good boss. Also for those Lat pulldowns with the straps do you still feel efficient work in the lats or does it take away from that because focusing on grip?

Pete Rubish
09-08-16, 3:49 pm
Im always open to advice or adjustments. The best way I've found to be efficient is to listen to as many established lifters as I can and atleast try to apply techniques. My pull has progressively changed over the past few years. So I appreciate that you are taking the time to throw some stuff out there. It could help someone else as well. Your pressing 140s looked good boss. Also for those Lat pulldowns with the straps do you still feel efficient work in the lats or does it take away from that because focusing on grip?
It honestly takes away big time from the lat emphasis and that is why that is strictly used as a grip movement. My grip is getting very strong. I hit that 525 double overhand and have plans to build that up to hopefully 585 by meet day in 8 weeks. I know I can hold 925 if I can double overhand 585.

The extra three days rest was the right call. Good day even if the collars didn't want to cooperate.

Deadlifts: 2x820 (plates fell off on third), 3x825, 3x825 (plates fell off at lockout), 3x835
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 14, 12 x 365
Barbell Split Squats: 3x10x205

Buckfever
09-08-16, 5:48 pm
Monster session.

chris790
09-08-16, 8:35 pm
Hey Pete do you do the Captains of Crush grippers directly after your grip work sessions or just around the house?

Pete Rubish
09-08-16, 10:43 pm
Hey Pete do you do the Captains of Crush grippers directly after your grip work sessions or just around the house?
I do them right after usually takes me only 5 minutes to do three sets each hand. I need to get the number 3s

Pete Rubish
09-08-16, 10:43 pm
Monster session.
I felt good about it. As I reduce volume, my strength usually blows up.

Pete Rubish
09-09-16, 2:57 pm
Did grip work a day early so I could have the weekend free to watch football and not have to train. It went surprisingly well. I am exhausted now though from three straight training days. Time for some rest.

Double Overhand Deadlifts: up to 545 relatively easy
One-Arm Barbell Holds: 4 each hand w/225 lbs
Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 325, 325, 315
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 11x270
Captains of Crush Grippers 2.5s: 2x11

John Grey
09-09-16, 4:13 pm
Hey Pete,

No question here right now, just letting you know I've been following for a few years and your progress over the past couple years has been nothing short of motivational for me to push myself harder than ever. Thanks for that and keep pushing! Maybe my Steelers will see your Packers in February lol.

Pete Rubish
09-10-16, 3:50 pm
Hey Pete,

No question here right now, just letting you know I've been following for a few years and your progress over the past couple years has been nothing short of motivational for me to push myself harder than ever. Thanks for that and keep pushing! Maybe my Steelers will see your Packers in February lol.
I appreciate that buddy! I like to think people are following along and I'm pushing others to try to reach their goals. And I really feel good about my Badgers and Packers this year! Can't wait for the season to start tomorrow! Good luck to your Steelers.

Pete Rubish
09-12-16, 6:28 pm
Odd day. Grip strength was very poor today due to what I believe are a few factors. Could feel I was still fatigued from Thursday's deadlifts too.

One arm barbell holds: 185 for four sets max time
100 lb plate carries in each hand: 3 total trips
Double Overhand Static Holds w/Fat Gripz: 4 sets max time w/225
Captains of Crush: 2x5x#3, 2x7x#2.5, 2x10x#2
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps: up to 20x160

Pete Rubish
09-15-16, 9:59 am
Pulled something in my right glute yesterday deadlifting, but was able to finish the training session. It's feeling sore today though, so may even take as much as 10 days off before I pull again to give this a real good chance to heal.

Deadlifts: 3x855, 2x2x855, 1x855
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 1x455, 12, 10 x 385
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10x225, 10x235 each leg

Pete Rubish
09-15-16, 1:59 pm
Paused Bench: up to 5x395
DB Bench: 15, 9 x 150s
DB Hammer Curls: 3x25x50s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20, 15, 15 x 110
Face Pulls w/underhand grip w/pause: 3x15x130, 15x120
Pec Fly Machine: 20x160, 20x180

John Grey
09-15-16, 4:15 pm
Paused Bench: up to 5x395
DB Bench: 15, 9 x 150s
DB Hammer Curls: 3x25x50s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 20, 15, 15 x 110
Face Pulls w/underhand grip w/pause: 3x15x130, 15x120
Pec Fly Machine: 20x160, 20x180

Pete, hope all is well.. Do you plan to keep barbell bench in for this entire prep? I know the past couple you were strictly DB press until the last couple workouts.

Buckfever
09-15-16, 5:51 pm
Pulled something in my right glute yesterday deadlifting, but was able to finish the training session. It's feeling sore today though, so may even take as much as 10 days off before I pull again to give this a real good chance to heal.

Deadlifts: 3x855, 2x2x855, 1x855
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 1x455, 12, 10 x 385
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10x225, 10x235 each leg

Great pulling! Those weights sliding off worry me though.

Tyler Roy
09-16-16, 10:31 am
Has it been 8 weeks yet?!?!!

Pete Rubish
09-16-16, 5:03 pm
Pete, hope all is well.. Do you plan to keep barbell bench in for this entire prep? I know the past couple you were strictly DB press until the last couple workouts.
Yeah, I am doing barbell bench once per week during this prep. My shoulder feels way better and can handle it now, so I do one top set. Next week is 405x4, then 415x4 the week after.

It's not fun, but I test the limits with those things. I'll get it under control.

Has it been 8 weeks yet?!?!!
Yes it has! But now I'm just continuing this training log into the next meet in 7 weeks!

Today was more grip work:

Double Overhand Deadlifts: up to 495 without wraps
Suitcase Barbell Holds: 235 could barely hang on to, dropped it to 185 for a few sets
Towel Pullups: 3x10
Suitcase Farmer Walks w/Fat-Gripz: 25s on each side
Lat Pulldowns holding on to straps for grip: up to 20x200, 20x220

Tyler Roy
09-20-16, 8:48 am

Yea...hate when that happens to me too ;)

Tyler Roy
09-20-16, 9:06 am
Can't remember when or where, could've been on one of your youtube vids or an instagram post, but people were having a discussion about how Koklyaev doing 800x9 was just absurd and not human(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3tP4Rw6Ro). You agreed that its a crazy lift and really on another level. How far off do you think you are from doing something like that? I know you had mentioned dropping volume and reps in your last 855x3 IG post so it obviously doesn't fit with your plan/program now. Leeman did 800x8 touch and go, same with Poundstone. I haven't seen any other vid even close to that weightxrep deadstop.

Buckfever
09-21-16, 10:52 pm
Nice on the Bench, coming up good!!!

Pete Rubish
09-24-16, 3:46 pm
Can't remember when or where, could've been on one of your youtube vids or an instagram post, but people were having a discussion about how Koklyaev doing 800x9 was just absurd and not human(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3tP4Rw6Ro). You agreed that its a crazy lift and really on another level. How far off do you think you are from doing something like that? I know you had mentioned dropping volume and reps in your last 855x3 IG post so it obviously doesn't fit with your plan/program now. Leeman did 800x8 touch and go, same with Poundstone. I haven't seen any other vid even close to that weightxrep deadstop.
That is insane. I honestly think I would be at 6x800, so he's got me beat!

Nice on the Bench, coming up good!!!
Bench is flying!

So terrible week in all honesty. With the exception of bench, nothing went my way. Pulled a horrendous near 2x875 and needed to hit three. Deadlifts have hit a wall and I dont' know why. The 405x4 bench was very easy though and that is going well. Also hit the 160s for 12.

Buckfever
09-25-16, 11:40 am
That is insane. I honestly think I would be at 6x800, so he's got me beat!

Bench is flying!

So terrible week in all honesty. With the exception of bench, nothing went my way. Pulled a horrendous near 2x875 and needed to hit three. Deadlifts have hit a wall and I dont' know why. The 405x4 bench was very easy though and that is going well. Also hit the 160s for 12.

I thought you had a minor injury, takes like 10 days for soft tissue, next session you'll be fine.

Altered Beast
09-26-16, 10:05 am
Might need to back off the Deadlift for a few weeks and hit another Squat session in it's place for a little while!

Buckfever
09-27-16, 8:54 pm
I saw on Instagram that you have new collars coming which I think is great from a safety standpoint. That said I am going to miss seeing things sort of explode with plates flying all over the place. Nice pulling today!

Pete Rubish
09-28-16, 5:38 pm
I thought you had a minor injury, takes like 10 days for soft tissue, next session you'll be fine.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm expecting Friday to go very well in all honesty.

Might need to back off the Deadlift for a few weeks and hit another Squat session in it's place for a little while!
I actually did a little squatting last week and came to the conclusion that I better start hitting the yoga asap again because my hips are TIGHT. So I've started up yoga again and am feeling much better already.

I saw on Instagram that you have new collars coming which I think is great from a safety standpoint. That said I am going to miss seeing things sort of explode with plates flying all over the place. Nice pulling today!
I just got the competition collars in, which are 5 lbs a piece. And then I have another pair of Kabuki collars coming in. So I'm going to be set for a long time as far as collars are concerned. It will be sad to know the days of plates falling off are over though!

Paused Bench: 3.9x420
DB Bench: 9, 6 x 170s
Touch & Go Bench: 26x225 (no endurance lol)
DB Hammer Curls: 15x70s, 12x75s, 12x80s
Tricep Pushdowns on lat pulldown: 12x140, 2x12x130
Face Pulls w/underhand grip and pause: 4x15x120
Reverse Pec Fly Machine: 12x140, 12x150, 2x12x160

John Grey
09-29-16, 1:12 pm
Question in regards to sets/reps... So I am more efficient with doubles/triples than sets of 6+... that being said if I do 6 sets of 3 is that essentially having the same effect from a volume standpoint as 3 sets of 6 or also if the goal was 12 reps does it matter a whole bunch to do 4 sets of 3, 6 sets of 2, etc?

I've heard yes, I've heard no.. wanted to check with someone more experienced in the matter.

Pete Rubish
09-30-16, 3:04 pm
Question in regards to sets/reps... So I am more efficient with doubles/triples than sets of 6+... that being said if I do 6 sets of 3 is that essentially having the same effect from a volume standpoint as 3 sets of 6 or also if the goal was 12 reps does it matter a whole bunch to do 4 sets of 3, 6 sets of 2, etc?

I've heard yes, I've heard no.. wanted to check with someone more experienced in the matter.
I personally think you can't just look at overall volume because if we break this down very simply 3 sets of 6 at 500 is a hell of a lot tougher than 6 sets of 3 at 500. I'd say you'd get a lot more out of the former (the 3x6x500).

Paused High Bar Squats: 555, 605, 635, 655, 675
High Bar Squats: 25x335
45 Degree Barbell Back Raises: 3x5x405
High Row Machine: 3 plates/side x 12, 12, 10

Chivalry
10-03-16, 5:28 am
I actually did a little squatting last week and came to the conclusion that I better start hitting the yoga asap again because my hips are TIGHT. So I've started up yoga again and am feeling much better already.

Hey Pete, I've been out of the game for a couple of months and was actually curious about the yoga part, as I now I need to stretch myself back out, and was wondering if there was any material, via videos or something, that you could recommend? I don't really have any type of yoga classes around here to go to, to get a good grasp on it.

I'd appreciate any type of answer. Thanks man.

Altered Beast
10-03-16, 10:46 am
Hey Pete, I've been out of the game for a couple of months and was actually curious about the yoga part, as I now I need to stretch myself back out, and was wondering if there was any material, via videos or something, that you could recommend? I don't really have any type of yoga classes around here to go to, to get a good grasp on it.

www.ROMWOD.com

You will never know how much stretching can hurt! First 7 days are free, than $7.95 a month. They have daily stretching routines and it's all yoga style.

*Didn't mean to hijack ya, Pete!

Pete Rubish
10-03-16, 6:01 pm

I will have my full routine up in my youtube video on Friday actually. I took some of the exercises from the Yoga with Adriene 30 day challenge series and made up my own hip dominant routine.

www.ROMWOD.com

You will never know how much stretching can hurt! First 7 days are free, than $7.95 a month. They have daily stretching routines and it's all yoga style.

*Didn't mean to hijack ya, Pete!
I appreciate the link buddy! Thank you! It's always good to see some new material.

So today was the boring day of the week, but this stuff is necessary to keep my body going. I did a grip/mobility day. To start out:

Double overhand deadlifts: up to 515
Trap-Bar Frame Carries w/Fat-Gripz: 2 trips with 365, 2 trips with 345, 2 trips with 325
Lat Pulldowns holding straps: 10x150, 10x170, 10x190, 10x210, 10x240
100 lb plate fingertip farmer walks: 3 trips total down and back
Double Overhand Static Holds w/Fat-Gripz: 225, 245, 265, 265 max time
Captains of Crush: 3x9 each hand w/number 2s

Shoulder mobility stretching with band
Hip mobility for 25 minutes (lots of popping, but feeling better every week)

Bench on Wednesday!

Buckfever
10-07-16, 10:44 pm
So it looks to me that between the Squat and the Bench, there is pretty substantial progress towards the total. How is the structure holding up?

Pete Rubish
10-14-16, 1:49 pm
So it looks to me that between the Squat and the Bench, there is pretty substantial progress towards the total. How is the structure holding up?
I found out some mistakes I was making and added in a few things to my diet and it's helping a ton. I added in 5000-6000 IUs Vitamin-D3, 1 gram of turmeric circumen, 2 baby aspirin, a shot of apple cider vinegar, and L-Theanine along with what I was already taking (Animal Pak and Animal Omega). And I have to say I am feeling incredible. I have also been eating oatmeal with blueberries and animal whey every morning as well. The other major change I made about a month ago was I swapped out ground beef for chicken in all of my meals for heart health. And I always put spinach and kale in my homemade chipotle bowls. And finally I eat a banana with peanut butter everyday. So my body feels great and my performance is showing it.

Everything is now looking on track for 2100 at the meet. I'm now thinking as high as 771.6 may be possible on squats. I'm thinking as high as 474 might be possible on bench. And I'm thinking 881.8 is looking good on deads.

I recently did:

690 lbs high bar paused squat in knee sleeves
475 lbs paused bench
955 block pull missed right at lockout from 2.5 inch blocks

Buckfever
10-14-16, 4:46 pm
"And I'm thinking 881.8 is looking good on deads. "

I think so too.

Pete Rubish
10-16-16, 1:23 pm
"And I'm thinking 881.8 is looking good on deads. "

I think so too.
3 weeks out now! I want to hit 880 on the texas squat bar and 930-950 on the texas deadlift bar. And I'll probably give 485 a go on bench. I thought about trying another heavy squat, but honestly that 690 paused high bar was pretty sketchy, so I'll likely just shut down squats until the meet now.

Buckfever
10-16-16, 11:28 pm
3 weeks out now! I want to hit 880 on the texas squat bar and 930-950 on the texas deadlift bar. And I'll probably give 485 a go on bench. I thought about trying another heavy squat, but honestly that 690 paused high bar was pretty sketchy, so I'll likely just shut down squats until the meet now.

That bar is just not bending. You are going to be sooo strong off the floor.

C.Coronato
10-17-16, 9:17 am

Fucking strong brother!

Altered Beast
10-17-16, 10:17 am
I want to hit 880 on the texas squat bar and 930-950 on the texas deadlift bar.

Jumping jackrabbit shitballs!!!!!!!!!!! 930-950?!?!?!?!

Buckfever
10-24-16, 7:50 pm
You know both sides were slipping that bar just bends so much and that's just a lot of weight for those collars. But it sure did look like it wanted to come up.

Pete Rubish
10-26-16, 6:30 pm
That bar is just not bending. You are going to be sooo strong off the floor.
It worked wonders. I may pull on the Texas Squat Bar the entire next meet prep. It gave me so much more speed when I switched back to the deadlift bar.

Fucking strong brother!
Thanks buddy, it's too bad you can't make it out to this meet next weekend in California!

Jumping jackrabbit shitballs!!!!!!!!!!! 930-950?!?!?!?!
Well I was close...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL6_jNFAdc8/?taken-by=pete.rubish

You know both sides were slipping that bar just bends so much and that's just a lot of weight for those collars. But it sure did look like it wanted to come up.
I agree! It felt pretty darn good and after the 805 I was feeling very confident. Now it's jut time to rest up and get ready for the meet!

Altered Beast
10-27-16, 12:03 pm
Well I was close...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL6_jNFAdc8/?taken-by=pete.rubish

Did you have clips on the bar?? Looked like there was room.

Pete Rubish
10-31-16, 1:46 pm
Did you have clips on the bar?? Looked like there was room.
Yep, they were just hanging half off though unfortunately. But now it's time for the meet. Flying out in 3 days and my weight was 240.6 this morning, so I should be ready to go. Pretty excited and feeling great.

John Grey
10-31-16, 2:22 pm
First of all, good luck this weekend!! Secondly, do you know if there is a live stream for the meet??

Buckfever
10-31-16, 2:54 pm
Good luck man!!! Kill it.

FullBore
11-03-16, 3:13 pm
Good luck Pete, kick some arse!!

Buckfever
11-06-16, 11:16 am
871 baby!!!! And congratulations on the new total. Fantastic!!!

brettmayburn
11-06-16, 12:22 pm
Congrats on a helluva meet brother. Great work. Much respect.

FullBore
11-06-16, 3:29 pm
Great job Pete, keep killing it !!

Pete Rubish
11-09-16, 4:19 pm
871 baby!!!! And congratulations on the new total. Fantastic!!!

Congrats on a helluva meet brother. Great work. Much respect.

Great job Pete, keep killing it !!
Thanks guys! Maybe not the perfect meet that I was looking for, but it went pretty darn well. I wanted 2100, but that will have to wait another 10 weeks and I'll have to keep this log going until then. I have the USPA Tennessee Open at my gym on January 14 and should surely go over 2100 if things keep going the way they have.

The 882 deadlift moved well, but my callus tore at the top. Still pretty happy with everything. I went 760 on squats in sleeves, which is a massive 27 lb PR and almost an 8 plate squat. Bench went horribly and I only got my opener of 441. 451 I tried twice and missed 2/3 of the way up. So back to the drawing board on bench. Squats definitely fatigue you for bench though. And then 871 on deads for a 2072 total.

I start this next training prep on Saturday. Feeling pretty good other than some forearm pain from low bar squatting. Most importantly, my hips and knees feel great.

GunRock
11-09-16, 10:20 pm
Thanks guys! Maybe not the perfect meet that I was looking for, but it went pretty darn well. I wanted 2100, but that will have to wait another 10 weeks and I'll have to keep this log going until then. I have the USPA Tennessee Open at my gym on January 14 and should surely go over 2100 if things keep going the way they have.

The 882 deadlift moved well, but my callus tore at the top. Still pretty happy with everything. I went 760 on squats in sleeves, which is a massive 27 lb PR and almost an 8 plate squat. Bench went horribly and I only got my opener of 441. 451 I tried twice and missed 2/3 of the way up. So back to the drawing board on bench. Squats definitely fatigue you for bench though. And then 871 on deads for a 2072 total.

I start this next training prep on Saturday. Feeling pretty good other than some forearm pain from low bar squatting. Most importantly, my hips and knees feel great.

I watched your video and I think it's amazing that your squat went up so much without doing a lot of actual squatting. Nice job man. I think your plan for a 900 pull and how to plan your second attempts is pretty solid too.

FullBore
11-10-16, 12:22 pm
I appreciate you keeping this log going. Dominate brother !!

Nmowery
11-10-16, 3:00 pm

Well shit, add a few pounds on bench and a callus back to your hand and you're already at the 2100 mark!

Pete Rubish
11-17-16, 5:21 pm
I watched your video and I think it's amazing that your squat went up so much without doing a lot of actual squatting. Nice job man. I think your plan for a 900 pull and how to plan your second attempts is pretty solid too.
Thanks John! Squat is very encouraging. To be making this kind of progress without even really doing leg training is pretty nice. I have really increased the leg training this meet prep though.

I appreciate you keeping this log going. Dominate brother !!
Of course buddy! I may not be updating it quite as much, but I'm going to keep things going in here.

Well shit, add a few pounds on bench and a callus back to your hand and you're already at the 2100 mark!
Pretty much right!? But I have much bigger plans than 2100 at this next meet. I'm really going to bring it.

So the current training plan is looking like:

Monday: Bench Day: one second paused bench, close-grip spoto press, db incline bench, alternating db curls, rear-delt accessory work
Tuesday: Grip day - fat gripz trap-bar frame carries, one-arm barbell holds, towel shrugs, and captains of crush grippers
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Off
Friday: deadlifts on the squat bar, crazy high volume leg training accessory work
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

So as you can see, I hit it hard on the days I train, but get plenty of rest. My body is mostly healed up. Just a little big of lagging left elbow pain. But other than that I'm fresh.

Nmowery
11-17-16, 5:50 pm
But I have much bigger plans than 2100 at this next meet. I'm really going to bring it.

*raises eyebrow*

Buckfever
11-26-16, 10:50 am
Looking real good on that Squat bar.

Pete Rubish
12-01-16, 5:26 pm
*raises eyebrow*
Lol, we shall see what happens. Only thing is that it's USPA, so I have to ensure I'm going extra deep on the squats and locking out strong on the deads.

Looking real good on that Squat bar.
Thanks buddy, tried 875 for kicks two days after the 790 training session and got it to my knees. Considering my goal is to pull 880 on that bar before this meet in 6 weeks, I'll take it this far out.

So six weeks out like I said and things are shaping up nicely. As awful as bench felt two weeks ago, it felt great this past week and so far my confidence level is around an 8-9/10 as far as my goals for the meet.

Pete Rubish
12-04-16, 6:35 pm
Now we're cruising. 30 lb PR out of no where after only three weeks hammering my legs! I pause squatted 690 high bar right before Reebok Record Breakers and ended up hitting 760 low bar at the meet. So to hit 720 this far out is mind blowing. What I deemed my "ambitious" goal for this meet prep was a 725 high bar paused squat and I'm already there! I'll be very interested to see how bench goes tomorrow. I'm keeping bench lighter this meet prep in all likelihood. When I tried 485 in training, that's when my elbow got messed up for that 6 week period. Stay tuned on deadlifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkmUGy2GPQ&t=388s

Buckfever
12-04-16, 6:49 pm
Now we're cruising. 30 lb PR out of no where after only three weeks hammering my legs! I pause squatted 690 high bar right before Reebok Record Breakers and ended up hitting 760 low bar at the meet. So to hit 720 this far out is mind blowing. What I deemed my "ambitious" goal for this meet prep was a 725 high bar paused squat and I'm already there! I'll be very interested to see how bench goes tomorrow. I'm keeping bench lighter this meet prep in all likelihood. When I tried 485 in training, that's when my elbow got messed up for that 6 week period. Stay tuned on deadlifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkmUGy2GPQ&t=388s

It's very impressive, now both the deads and the squat. Yeah and if you save it for the meet on the bench to avoid injury there, 2100 is going down for sure.

Buckfever
12-28-16, 11:46 pm
Ridiculous volume with the Texas Squat bar.

Pete Rubish
01-05-17, 7:11 pm
It's very impressive, now both the deads and the squat. Yeah and if you save it for the meet on the bench to avoid injury there, 2100 is going down for sure.
Man, I hope 2100 is there at this one! It's been an awful meet prep, but we'll see if I can put it all together on meet day. I have 9 days only and then I get a nice long break before the next one. So I'm ready to just rest up, cut this weight, and do the best I can come January 14. Seemingly everything has gone wrong this meet prep, but I'm going to keep my head up and knock it all out.

Pete Rubish
01-08-17, 10:49 am
Still resting up. I've actually been able to enjoy food still though. I cut from 252 to 241 in 3 days, so I've enjoyed some snacks the last two days. I have to make weight on Friday, and then the fun begins on Saturday. Resting my body up and feeling pretty good. No aches or pains right now. Ready to do this and then have a long offseason!

Buckfever
01-08-17, 4:25 pm
Still resting up. I've actually been able to enjoy food still though. I cut from 252 to 241 in 3 days, so I've enjoyed some snacks the last two days. I have to make weight on Friday, and then the fun begins on Saturday. Resting my body up and feeling pretty good. No aches or pains right now. Ready to do this and then have a long offseason!

Coming in healthy is big. Good luck!

FullBore
01-08-17, 9:59 pm
Dominate that 2100 Pete !!

Pete Rubish
01-10-17, 11:09 pm
Coming in healthy is big. Good luck!

Dominate that 2100 Pete !!
Thanks for still following along guys! I'll do my best! I'm feeling the best I've felt health-wise in years. Body is well rested!

SMuncey
01-11-17, 8:41 am
Thanks for still following along guys! I'll do my best! I'm feeling the best I've felt health-wise in years. Body is well rested!

Can't wait to see those numbers bro!

npcdusty
01-11-17, 10:13 am
Give em Hell Pete. Man I wish I could be there this weekend. We have both Boys at home and haven't had much Family time since Christmas so I wont be able to drive in. However we will def catch up at the Arnold! Good luck to you brother....

Pete Rubish
01-11-17, 6:40 pm
Can't wait to see those numbers bro!

Give em Hell Pete. Man I wish I could be there this weekend. We have both Boys at home and haven't had much Family time since Christmas so I wont be able to drive in. However we will def catch up at the Arnold! Good luck to you brother....
Thanks guys! And no worries Dusty. I understand having a family and such takes a lot of time and commitment. You guys are a good 3.5-4 hours away anyway, so it's a pretty decent drive.

Weight was 238.8 this morning. Just going to keep bringing it down.

Nmowery
01-12-17, 2:56 pm
So going back to 220 then?

Buckfever
01-14-17, 10:05 pm
Oooooh!!! So close. Nice job man!!!

Altered Beast
01-16-17, 10:22 am
So close on that 881 or 889 whichever weight it was!!!!!!

Pete Rubish
01-20-17, 6:24 pm
So going back to 220 then?
Absolutely, it's time to take that record total!

Oooooh!!! So close. Nice job man!!!

So close on that 881 or 889 whichever weight it was!!!!!!
Thanks guys! But honestly, in hindsight, it was a poor attempt choice. I should have gone 876 and settled for the 2089 total. I messed my whole total up by trying that first.