PDA

View Full Version : Home Gym Power Rack

Jay
06-21-16, 2:03 pm
Guys and gals, I've decided to start working on my own garage gym, and I wanted to see what everyones opinion is on equipment. My first purchase will be a squat rack. I dont have thousands to put down for one at say elitefts or a mono lift, but was thinking of starting with one of the racks on amazon.com. Not the stands, or the 150 dollar ones, but something thats inexpensive and will get me started in the right direction. Thoughts?

tzone
06-21-16, 4:35 pm
I think it's a great idea and it will make it easy for you whenever you want to put in a workout without the waiting times one encounters at the gym. Definitely a heavy duty squat rack should be priority, one with lots of pin holes, and a chin up bar. Then, you will need a heavy duty bench to go with it. I still need to get one myself, and some Olympic weights. Right now, I go to a gym, but part of the reason for that is because no one else hardly goes there and I have easy access to whatever equipment is there. At some point, I 'll be doing what you are doing, mainly because this town won't be my residence forever.

GunRock
06-21-16, 10:48 pm
The only problem with the cheaper racks is that they don't feel sturdy sometimes. I had a cheap one at least inexpensive and every time I went heavier it would wobble like Elvis. My suggestion would be to contact Heavy Harris at Dynabody.com and tell him you want to buy one of his used power racks. If you've never heard of the company they provide a lot of the equipment used at SPF meets. Anyway he also supplies a fair amount of college and high school weight rooms so he gets a lot of stuff in as a trade in and then he resells it for a discount. Another option would be to look on craigslist or on Powerlifting Watch. Com and see if there any gyms that are closing or replacing their equipment and you can sometimes get a good deal that way as well.

Rex
07-03-16, 10:37 am
I hear the Barbarian line, Powertech make pretty solid stuff.

The basement weight room I started lifting in had a squat rack by Body Solid. I bought that one myself and it served me well for a couple of years. I pulled 5 plates partial deads and did squats with 4.5 plates off that thing.

Jay
07-08-16, 12:17 pm
Ill have to check into that. So far so good, its getting there. Got a rack for now and built a deadlift platform. Working on getting plates now, which are very expensive

Reko
07-13-16, 12:58 pm
hopefully you are getting used weights. if you can be patient you can find listings on craigslist if you are by any major city. they go quick though if they are priced low enough, but they are there. you may have to get creative with your searches too.

I used a powertech rack in my home gym and had no complaints with it. bolting it into your platform will help with the sturdiness too.

Another option to start cheap is to get some squat stands instead. not ideal for most but if money is super tight now you can always upgrade later.

Rex
07-17-16, 11:14 am
Ill have to check into that. So far so good, its getting there. Got a rack for now and built a deadlift platform. Working on getting plates now, which are very expensive

Iīm sure you can find some pretty cheap on the internet. That is if you donīt care too much about all of them having the same size and dimensions.