PDA

View Full Version : Prep for first "legit" meet

Nmowery
06-22-16, 9:49 pm
So...don't know if anyone paid much attention to my thread for my last meet, but my first time on the platform went extremely well. I competed in a smaller/regional federation, and hit the exact numbers I targeted beforehand - 345 on bench, 555 for deadlift. That fed doesn't have squats, which is fine with me cause my squat game is sorry as fuck.

Anyways...I'm now training for a uspa meet in Dayton, oh on 9/17. planning on competing in this as a push/pull as well, just to get a feel for a more serious fed, with the intention of doing a full meet early next year. Goal here is to bench 365, dead 585 for a 50 lb increase over last time out. anyways...Sunday bench session was first of my actual prep:

245/265/285/305x3

I actually only got like 2.5 reps of 305 - my right hamstring cramped half way thru the rep, and as soon as I picked up my leg the bar stalled...but I still grinded it out with a little help from my spotter. Week 1 of my last prep I set a 3rm of 285, so I'm starting off quite a bit stronger than before.

Reverse band bench, -60 lbs at bottom, 315x5, 335x3

Followed that up with some incline db press and pullup supersets, then landmine presses ss w/ cs rows

Monday squatted...worked up to 315x6/6, followed with rdl's, 315/335x10 and some lunges

Today...db bench ss w/ bent db row, 100x10x3 for each. Then 3 sets of jm press ss w/ seated cable rows, and a few sets of shoulder press on smith machine ss w/ wide lat pulls

Deadlifts tomorrow. Not sure how it's gonna go, I tweaked my hammy a few weeks ago pulling 500x5. At first it only bothered me sporadically, but has been slowly getting more tender over time. Gonna try to go hard without fucking myself up even more!

Nmowery
06-23-16, 8:05 pm
Deadlifts...best day of the week!

455x8...this was a rep pr. Don't think I pulled this for more than 5 reps before
475x7...another pr. I know for a fact I've never done this for more than 5
475x3...blew my wad on first two working sets. Might've had another in me, but it would've been ugly

4" block pulls
475x5
495x5

Front squat
245x6
255x6...heaviest I'd ever gone on these
275x3...tried a fourth but had to dump it

Skipped accessory work this week cause my hamstring was fucking with me my entire workout. It'll probably be killing me tomorrow, but I'm a stubborn fuck and probably will refuse to take it easy until it gets to the point that I can't walk on it.

That's it for this week...rest up a couple days then heavy bench day sunday

Nmowery
06-26-16, 8:36 pm
6/26 heavy bench

295x3
305x2
315x1
305x3
315x2
325xfail. Really fucking pissed about missing that rep. No excuse to have not finished that.

Popped on some bands that take off about 60 lbs at the bottom...
325x5
345x3
Same number of reps as last week, but both sets 10 lb heavier

2 sets dips, +50 lbs x8/8, superset these and the band presses with pullups

Barbell rows, 3x8x225 superset with hammer strength shoulder presses

3 supersets of rope cable curls and rope overhead triceps

Doing more volume in these heavy workouts than I have in a while. This time last meet prep I was benching 3x a week, with one day including a lot of arm work. Only time for 2 day bench days a week now, so need to get the same volume over 2 workouts.

Nmowery
06-27-16, 10:40 pm
Squats

Used the safety/yoke bar with bands tonight. Did regular straight bar squats last week, going to try alternating between these 2 variations weekly. I loaded the same amount of weight on the bar for the same number of reps as last week, but the total weight at the top is more since the bar is heavier, but a bit lighter at the bottom with the bands. anyhoo...

300x10
320x8
340x6
360x5
390x3

donkey calf superset with back extensions w/ bands, x2

Seated calves superset with hack squats, x2. Hack squats were with 3 plates on each side, and each rep done from the bottom position on the hack squat machine. Almost as terrible as doing super low paused box squats...almost

Now spending the rest of the week out of town in a hotel for work. Hotel has a "fitness center" which is probably a treadmill and small dumbbells. Might be able to make that work for a light chest/back day on Wednesday, but need to find somewhere to deadlift on Thursday since I won't be back till late Friday evening, and gym time won't be on the agenda after being away from the family all week...

Nmowery
07-01-16, 9:43 am
6/30 deadlifts

Had to skip my light bench day this week...work schedule out of town is brutal, and the "fitness center" at the hotel was torn out for renovations. Ended up hitting golds gym in Indy last night to get deads in and had a hella good session, despite being tired, overworked, and not really feeling the gym itself(no grunting or chalk???)

Deficit deads
225x10
315x8
365x5
405x5
455x5--->pr
475x5--->bigger pr

Sumo deads
405x8
425x6

Front squat, 225x8/8/6, superset with calves

Was going to throw in a few push/pull supersets to make up for the missed workout but those deficits took a toll. Really pleased with progress though...3 weeks back I pulled my heaviest ever set of deficits, and got 445x3. Fast forward 20 days and I managed 2 more reps at 30 lbs heavier. Looking forward to getting home and resting up a bit before heavy bench session on Sunday...

Nmowery
07-03-16, 5:59 pm
7/3 heavy bench

305x4
295x4
285x4
275x6

Wanted to hit a high rep set or 2 at the end but there ended being 11 people in our little "crew" who showed today, so shit was taking forever. Hit all my pre-determined lifts though, even with missing my mid week upper body day, so I can't complain.

Followed up with 3 sets of pullups, +25 lbsx10, superset with incline db press, 90x8/6/5. Tossed a couple reps with 80s on after the last set as well. Then a few supersets of hammer strength shoulder presses and chest supported rows. Wanted to bang a few arm sets since my triceps/lockout are the weak point in my bench right now, but I'd been there too long and needed to get things over with. Squats coming up tomorrow, not really looking forward to that whatsoever to be honest...

Nmowery
07-04-16, 10:58 pm
7/4 squats

285x10
305x8
325x6...felt some tightness in my outer hip(it band?) when I went to rack the bar
345x2...first rep hurt a bit. 2nd rep hurt like hell so had to give up on it

Tried messing around to see if I could do lunges...no go. Hack squats...nope. Tried leg extensions - world of hurt. Tossed a few sets of calves and back extensions with bands on at the end and that was it.

I really hope this is something that heals up quick and doesn't bug me for weeks...I didn't feel it pop or tear or anything, but as soon as I stepped forward to rack that one set it was sore as fuck. Gonna ice and massage the crap out of my leg and hope it doesn't bug me down the road...

spartan300
07-04-16, 11:33 pm
7/4 squats

285x10
305x8
325x6...felt some tightness in my outer hip(it band?) when I went to rack the bar
345x2...first rep hurt a bit. 2nd rep hurt like hell so had to give up on it

Tried messing around to see if I could do lunges...no go. Hack squats...nope. Tried leg extensions - world of hurt. Tossed a few sets of calves and back extensions with bands on at the end and that was it.

I really hope this is something that heals up quick and doesn't bug me for weeks...I didn't feel it pop or tear or anything, but as soon as I stepped forward to rack that one set it was sore as fuck. Gonna ice and massage the crap out of my leg and hope it doesn't bug me down the road...

Orthotics?

Nmowery
07-05-16, 8:43 am
*shrug*

Don't know if that would help or contributed at all...it's a little sore this morning, but seems to feel a little better already than it did last night. I iced it really well before bed and will be doing what I can to keep it stretched and loose in hopes of not having to miss any workouts.

Nmowery
07-06-16, 11:33 pm
7/6 bench accessory and general upper body stuff

Supersets of dumbbell press and bent row, 95x12, 100x8, 105x7 for each. Not as strong as last time out with these, which is frustrating

Close grip bench, 220x6/6/8, 205x10, 185x4 drop set. Superset these with lat pulls with parallel grip, 220x8, 200x10, 180x12/12. Weak sauce again...was hitting 10 reps a month ago with 225.

Shoulder press in smith machine, 185x5/5, 155x10. Superset these with some face pulls.

Tossed in a few supersets for arms. First time doing skullcrushers in forever...my lockout strength has been suffering lately, so I need to make it a priority to hammer triceps. I used to get stuck about 2" off my chest, but could finish any lift that got past there. I made being stronger off my chest a priority, but now I flipped the script and get stuck about halfway up.

Also still a little sore from whatever I tweaked in my thigh/outer quad on Monday. I think I'll be good to deadlift tomorrow, but things can change quickly when the weights get heavy...

Nmowery
07-07-16, 8:55 pm
7/7 deadlifts

Used a reverse band setup today that takes off about 90 lbs at the floor...
315x8
405x8
495x5
545x3
585x3
635xfail

Popped off the bands and hit 445x10, which is a 10 lb increase in 10 rep max over 3 weeks ago

I usually front squat after deads, but whatever I pulled in my hip/outer quad starting flaring up after that last set, so instead I did a few sets of leg presses, leg curls and calves. Hoping that shit feels on good enough shape to squat this coming Monday...also looking to set a solid deadlift pr next week so I need to be as healed and rested up as possible!

Nmowery
07-10-16, 8:56 pm
7/10 Bench press

300x3
310x2
320x1
310x3
320x2
330x1

Added bands, -50ish lbs at chest level...
335x5
315x5

Dips, +50x10, +75x6. Banded presses and dips were superset with pullups, bwx4x12

Dumbbell shoulder press, 50x12, 55x10, 60x8. Superset with hammer machine rows. 3 sets with 115 lbs on each side

Ended with some arm supersets on cables.

Nmowery
07-13-16, 3:37 pm
7/13 bench accessory/general upper body stuff

Close grip bench, 225x10, 235x8, 245x7
Superset with wide grip lat pulls, 160x15, 180x15, 200x10

Dumbbell bench press, 100x7, 90x8/7
Superset with one arm dumbbell rows, same weight/reps as presses

Standing military press, 135x8. For whatever reason these felt terrible to do, so switched to smith machine for 2 sets, 155x10, 165x8. Superset those with chest supported rows, 90x3x10

Then busted a few sets of arm supersets and some face pulls and bent dumbbell raises. Ok workout all in all...have been on vacation the last few days and haven't been eating much or staying hydrated, and it showed today. I switched things up a bit and put the close grip press at the beginning to really go after my triceps. Felt kinda weak on the db presses...but I usually do those first, so I'm not going to read into that too much.

I also skipped my squat workout on Monday. Usually I'll get in and at least do something, even if I don't feel like it, but I woke up with a cramped muscle in my hip/glute and it was my first day of vacation so I didn't do shit. Usually I'm all mad at myself for completely skipping a workout, but didn't care at all this time. I needed the rest, and feel like I'm primed to smash some deadlifts tomorrow, provided I get some food and water in my belly...

Nmowery
07-14-16, 8:30 pm
7/14 deadlifts

4th day on vacation and didn't squat Monday, so felt hella fresh going into deadlifts...

135x10
185x8
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x3
445x3
485x3
525x3--->nice pr here, I'd never pulled over 500 for more than a single before. Came in with this a goal for the day and nailed it

"Block pulls" off of 3.5" bumper plates
495x3, 5

Front squats 185x8x3, superset with donkey calf machine. First time squatting at all since tweaking my hip so kept it light on these

Nmowery
07-17-16, 1:22 pm
7/17 bench day...

305x4/1
295x5
285x4/1
275x4/1
265x5

Was supposed to be a 5x5 reverse pyramid workout, but I kept failing halfway up on 5th reps, so in each case I racked it and banged out a single to make up. Pretty pissed I failed so many reps, but had to self handout today and have been eating like crap all week since I've been off work, so hopefully it's a culmination of bullshit that made for one crap workout.

Followed up with 3 supersets each of pullups/hammer strength incline machine, and dumbbell shoulder press/seated cable rows. Added a couple sets of seated curls to top it off.

tzone
07-17-16, 2:14 pm
Good workouts or bad workouts, so long as the workouts keep going. I always tell myself that every workout is like putting quarters in the piggybank. Sometimes, you can put in more quarters on certain days, but the main thing is that the quarters are going in. They will all add up over time.

Keep hammerin', brother!

Nmowery
07-17-16, 5:29 pm
thanks for the words...I guess I can't say it was a bad workout, just not quite ideal. Having someone to hand out would've helped a lot - I never noticed till recently, but I lose all tightness in my setup when I have to unrack by myself. I don't like making excuses for myself, but I think if I didn't lift solo today I would've stayed tight enough to hit all my reps.

Nmowery
07-19-16, 12:58 am
7/18 squizzats

Decided to hit some paused box squats to a 10" plyo box with the safety bar. 'Tis my penance for skipping last weeks session...goal was simply to hit sets of 5 reps up to max weight
160x10
210x5
230x5
260x5
280x5
300x5

Ditched the box and went 260x10 for last set

Followed with 2 sets each of walking lunges - 10 steps for each leg with a pair of 55 lb kettle bells - and back extensions with bands for 12 reps. Those were "superset" with seated calves...meaning it was a nice excuse to sit my fat ass down for a minute between sets.

All in all, I'm glad I could squat pain free...since tweaking my shit 2 weeks ago, I've been getting random cramps and tightness all over on my left side, I think as a result of some shit overcompensating for what was actually injured. Hopefully that's over and done with, and I can get back to bearing down for this meet. Trying to get my diet on point...cut out crap food, up the protein intake, etc. but it seems like everything in my surrounding environment is working against me. more than anything, $$ is the issue right now, which I just fucking hate.

Sometimes I wonder how my gains would be coming if I had the scratch to put down 300g protein a day, if I could splurge on the supplements that are on my wish list, etc...but in the end, that shit doesn't matter. If the funds aren't there they aren't there...prisoners get jacked on the regular with nothing but weights and gruel, so I have no excuses...sweat and heart is fueling this mother fucker, and now it's time to get to bed so I can walk around on a concrete floor for 12 hours with my sore ass legs, and love every fucking step.

Nmowery
07-20-16, 11:29 pm
7/20

Close grip bench/bent over barbell row superset, 225x10, 245x8, 265x5

Dumbbell bench press, 100x9/8/8...trying to get to 10-12 reps on these. I'm good for it if I do them first in my workout, but not when doing them after close grips. Superset these with wide grip lat pulls, 220x10, 200x10, 180x12

3x8, standing military press...did these behind my head with the ez curl bar with 100 lbs loaded on it. I used to do these all the time back in the day but hadn't messed with these in years, so tossed them in for the hell of it. These were superset with some face pulls.

Ended with 2 sets each of skullcrushers and curls with the ez bar. Was gonna hit some more volume for arms, but my tris were toast and I'm benching heavy on Sunday so I cut if off there.

Deficit deads on tap tomorrow...goal is to work up to 5 plates for 5 reps, which would be a 20 lb increase over 3 weeks ago. Fingers crossed on that one...

Nmowery
07-21-16, 8:55 pm
7/21 deadlifts

Deficits off of 45 lb bumper plates, about 3.5" tall...

405x5
435x5
465x5
495x3

I reeeeeally wanted to get 5 reps on that last set, but the 3rd was tough as fuck. Tried to get a fourth but it didn't go too far. Still the heaviest I've gone on these before, so I'll try in 3 weeks for 5-6 reps at the same weight.

Sumo deadlift, 435x6, 405x8. Don't know if I've mentioned before, but I hate pulling sumo...just absolutely hate it, which is why I do them for at least a couple sets after deficits.

Front squat, 225x6/8. Not sure why but I always do better on my 2nd or 3rd set of these than I do on the first.

Also did 4 sets of donkey calf raises between the sumo pulls and front squats. Pretty good day of lifting, even though my gains in front squats have stalled out from not being able to squat at all for a couple weeks...gonna start pushing it hard on these again starting next week. Hope to nail 275x5-6 by the time this meet comes around, even though I won't be squatting in it.

Nmowery
07-24-16, 6:52 pm
7/24 bench

305x3
315x2
325x1
315x3
325x2
335x1--->matches training pr. Only time I've lifted this before was a week out from my last meet, and then 345 at the meet itself

Reverse band bench
335x5
355x3

Pullups, BWx12/12/10, superset with dips , 3x8 +75/50/25

Hit the hammer strength machines for a few sets each of seated rows and shoulder press, then superset arms with cables - 2 sets with rope handle, 2 sets of reverse grip 1 arm at a time.

Fucking solid workout. Felt fresh coming in, even though I've worked all weekend. Hit all my pre-determined lifts - having someone around to hand out this time really helped me keep setup under the bar. Now that I'm about back on par with where I was in my last meet prep, I have 6 weeks to get into uncharted territory and push my shit towards that 365 goal. now it's time to stuff my face and rest up before putting in 12 hours of work and some squats tomorrow...

Nmowery
07-27-16, 12:04 am
7/26 squats

Should've done this workout last night after work, but I really wasn't feeling it so I said I'd get up this morning and go lift. That didn't happen either...had the day off work, and slept in and really didn't do shit. Just felt really lethargic and worn out all day...kept waiting to feel "better" all day and it never happened, so I dragged my ass to the gym at 10PM.

Since I hadn't done a regular ol' barbell squat since getting hurt on the 4th, I decided I'd replicate the workout I did then...but then everything felt really heavy when warming up. Even 225 felt like a lot of weight when unracking it, and that's before I even attempted to squat it! I wanted my working sets to go 10/8/6/4 reps, but got...

285x5
305x5
325x5--->finally "woke up" here, this set was easier than previous 2
345x4

Then did a couple supersets of hack squats and back extensions, each with some bands for extra tension at the top.

Followed that with 4 sets of seated calves, with some oblique stuff superset between those. I haven't done any direct core or ab work in forever, which I think is contributing to me leaning forward way too much at the bottom of my squats, so I'm gonna start hitting that shit a couple times a week and see how it helps out. All in all not a great session, but not bad either for being one of those days where I just really didn't feel like lifting a damn thing!

Nmowery
07-27-16, 11:56 am
7/27 bench accessory stuff

Close grip bench, 235x10, 245x7, 255x6. Superset with wide grip lat pull, 220x10, 200x10, 180x12

Dumbbell press/row supersets, 100x6, 90x8

Smith machine shoulder press, 135x10, 155x7/6, superset with face pulls

Dumbbell skullcrushers, 30x10/10, superset with incline curl, 30x12/12

So-so workout...first I was pressed for time - I got to the gym when I wanted, but had to poop when I got there...started my workout at 830 when I had to be to work at 10. This made me work thru everything a lot quicker than normal, and has to do fewer sets on some stuff than I would have liked. I think I also suffered a little bit from lifting this morning after squatting last night...only 10 hr turnaround between workouts, but I didn't much want to lift after getting off work at 10 tonight, so it is what it is.

Already looking forward to deadlifting tomorrow...will be less than 48 hours since doing squats, but I didn't go to nuts on them so I should be in good shape. Gonna mess around with some bands, then hopefully push my 10RM up to 455...

Nmowery
07-29-16, 2:03 pm
7/29 deadlifts

Usually deadlift with a group of guys on Thursdays, but was hella tired yesterday and still super sore from squatting on Tuesday, so pushed these back to today...also had to lift in the morning, which I hate with deadlifts, bit I work till 10pm tonight and go back to work 630am tomorrow so going tonight wasn't an option...

Reverse band deads
405x5
455x5
495x5
545x3
585x2
635xfail...lame
605x1

Took off bands, hit 455x9. Tried a 10th rep, got it to my knees, but was toast at that point. On the upside, I'm 100% positive that if I wasn't pulling that in the morning I would've gotten 10, which was my main goal going into today's workout.

Tried to hit some front squats...got 245x4 but was just fried and pressed for time, so cut it off and went home. Decent workout, all things considered...looking forward now to benching Sunday, should have a nice rep pr on tap...

Nmowery
07-31-16, 11:24 am
7/31 bench

225x5
245x3
265x3
285x3
305x3
325x2--->goal was to work up to this for a triple...2nd rep was a grinder so that wasn't gonna happen. Another AM lift with no spot and feeling dehydrated and sluggish so I'm pretty sure I could've gotten it under better circumstances.

Pullups 3x12, superset with dumbbell incline, 85x8/7, 80x8

Seated cable row, 220x6, 200x8, 180x12 superset with standing Arnold press, 45x3x10

Really didn't want to lift right after getting up again, but working 10a-8p and wouldn't have time later tonight so oh well...

Nmowery
08-02-16, 6:00 pm
8/2 squats

Getting back to the routine I started a little while back of doing regular barbell squats one week, then matching the sets/reps/weight on the bar the next week, using the safety bar with reverse bands. Also went down to a 10" box, and paused some but not all reps at the bottom...idea is to get super low with the depth, with the weight a little less than a regular squat at the bottom due to the bands, but a bit heavier at the top since it's a 70 lb bar.

310x6
330x5
350x5
370x4

Followed with 2 super sets of Bulgarian split squats with 30 lb Dumbbells and banded back extensions. This shit was brutal, cause I was doing the back extensions first, then jumping into the split squats which fried my lower back.

After that bullshit, I superset 4 sets of seated calves with some oblique work. My gym has an 80 lb concrete block with a handle set into it, so I carried that around 1 handed for a couple sets then jumped into some side cable bends. I have a horrible tendency of leaning too far forward when I squat, and I think a weak core is a huge part of that. My abs are pretty well developed...I'd have a sweet six pack if I didn't eat so much ice cream, but when flexing my core my sides are all flab...nothing firm seems to exist even under the fat, so time to rectify that situation.

Also...once again I should've done this yesterday but work fucked that up. Lately it's been more hours and more stress than usual, so I'll be deadlifting on 48 hours rest. Gonna try to eat as much as possible between now and then to maximize recovery, cause I'm out to push things to the next level this week on my deads, sore legs or not. This week marks the halfway mark of my 12 week prep, so it's time to turn shit up down the stretch...

Nmowery
08-03-16, 2:38 pm
8/3 bench accessory

Close grip bench
245x10
255x7
265x7---had someone spot me here, dude wouldn't keep his fingers off the bar so I'll really call it 6

Superset that with parallel grip lat pulls, 180/190/200x12

Then superset dumbbell press and rows, 100x8/8/6. Getting closer to my goal of hitting 10 reps on these after close grip...

Next superset smith machine shoulder press, 185x6, 165x8, 145x10 with face pulls

Ended with supersets of barbell tricep extensions and curls. Ripped off Matt wenning from an Instagram vid he put up the other day, doing the tris from the floor while laying down. That shit is sneaky hard! Tried using 95 lb to start...only got 5 reps. Had to drop to 75 lb to get to 10 reps for last 2 sets.

Pretty good day...glad I had more rest between squats than last week, and stuffing my face with food last night I think really helped. Already have my minds eye looking at deadlifts tomorrow...

Nmowery
08-04-16, 8:26 pm
8/5 deadlifts

Bitter-fucking-sweet day of lifting...

315x6
405x3
445x3
495x2
525x2
545x1---->training pr
565x1---->all time pr!

Block pulls, 4" height
505x5
515xfuck me. Got 2 reps, but pulled the shit out of my oblique on the 2nd rep. Put an end to that set real quick, and scratched front squats again.

Finished up with a circuit of calves, leg extensions and leg curls for a few sets. Really shitty about this oblique thing...tried to fart in the car on the way home and it hurt like a mother fucker! I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that I did some oblique work, which I never do, 2 days ago...and now pop goes the side abs.

Nmowery
08-07-16, 5:38 pm
8/7 bench

Shitty workout, don't even feel like posting what I did. The oblique strain from the other day is really fucking with me, which I expected, but it still sucks. If I was smart I'd take some time off and rest up...but I'm a fucking donkey in a human body, so I won't unless I literally can't walk.

310x3
320x2
330x1
320x3...think this is a 3 rep PR
340xfail...this set should have been 330x2, but 340 got put on the bar and it was a sloppy mess
330xfail...was toast after fucking up previous set

Reverse band bench, 330x5

Superset Lat pulls and machine dips, hammer strength rows and shoulder press, and some cable tris/bis. Can't do much of anything with free weights right now.

It'll be interesting to see what I can pull off for legs tomorrow. Not even gonna attempt squats...hoping some hack squats and leg press will be do-able, but who knows.

Nmowery
08-11-16, 6:51 pm
8/10 bench accessory

Close grip bench, 255x3x8, superset with chest supported rows

Dumbbell bench, 100x10/7, superset with wide grip Lat pulls. Was pretty stoked to finally hit those for 10 after close grip, even though I was pretty tired already on the 2nd set.

Smith machine shoulder press, 185x6/6, 155x10 superset with face pulls

Then did a couple sets of seated dumbbell curls and tricep extensions

8/11 deadlifts

Had to skip squats this week with my oblique still hurting, but did hit light-ish deficits, worked up to 315 for 3x8

Followed with 2 sets of hack squats and leg curls, supersetting each with some calf raises.

Probably wasn't a good idea to even do this today, and ended up tweaking the oblique a little at the end of my last deadlift set, but I really don't want to miss any deadlift sessions heading into this meet...on the flip side I don't want this shit to still be lingering a month from now, so trying to toe the line here...