PDA

View Full Version : Aria Attia's BoB 3 Training Log

bigpoppachizl
06-29-16, 12:14 pm
Hi guys! I'm a new guy here. Dan Green suggested that I post my training here. It will be good b/c I don't post my training anywhere as of now.

A little background: I'm 32 years old. On 12/05/15 I set the All-Time Raw WR Deadlift in the 275 lbs weight class beating Konstantin Konstantinov's 906 lbs. by pulling 915 lbs. It was my 3rd meet and BoB3 will be my 5th. I'm hoping to total 2100+ lbs in knee sleeves at BoB3 with a 900+ deadlift, if training goes as planned. I hit 2,033 lbs in sleeves at my last meet in June 683/501/848 which was my first meet back from distal biceps tendon reattachment surgery I suffered while setting the WR in December.

Check out my Instagram (@bigpoppachizl) or Facebook/YouTube accounts for videos of all my training.

I'm excited to post here and am happy to take any questions.

I have been a personal trainer for 3 years in the past and have trained several clients of all ages, so I have some knowledge in the area. I call myself a "Pro" powerlifter, but that is in terms of total. In terms of the sport itself, I'm still a noob and have a lot to learn. But I think I have some insight to offer on the deadlift, specifically.

I hope you guys enjoy the content!

Universal Rep
06-29-16, 12:48 pm
Welcome to the FORVM. Curious, but what do you know about Animal? Good luck with BoB III.

P Diesel
06-29-16, 2:32 pm
well ... for starters he has the all time deadlift record at 275 and did it while tearing his bicep off. he is also a cohort of long time ANIMAL tark. Aria is ANIMAL

P

Kowboy
06-29-16, 3:25 pm
Seen you lift out at Eaton about this time last year at the ABC, insanely strong dude. Glad to see you here man.

J Wong
06-29-16, 4:14 pm
Waddddddup

BOSS
06-29-16, 7:41 pm
Looking forward to seeing you lift in person!

Saxxan
06-29-16, 9:03 pm
sorry to hear you tore your bicep man looking back is there anything you think you could have done different? any advice or things you think you can do to prevent it?or is it just one of those things when it goes it goes?

Pete Rubish
06-30-16, 10:58 am
Great to have you here buddy! I know you've been repping Animal gear for awhile now and hopefully with a strong showing in 7 weeks at the meet you can be an official Animal team member!

bigpoppachizl
06-30-16, 11:32 am
Thanks everybody for the love haha. I'd be proud to rep Animal and be a part of the family of monsters! And everybody seems to be hilarious and having a good time... that's what I'm all about too. But first and foremost I have to have a good meet... Things are moving along well- on track for BoB3. Deadlift training tonight.. I'll post an update right after.

bigpoppachizl
06-30-16, 11:36 am
sorry to hear you tore your bicep man looking back is there anything you think you could have done different? any advice or things you think you can do to prevent it?or is it just one of those things when it goes it goes?

Really there was nothing I could do man.. My right arm had severe tendinitis the day before the meet, but that's my overhand and it was OK. My left bicep is completely exposed as my underhand. I could hear the bicep start to tear in my forearm region (it attaches to the radius bone in the arm). It sounded like cloth tearing. I kind of knew what was happening but I kept pulling anyway until I felt it roll up my arm. It was either that or potentially never get the opportunity again. Luckily my arm is back to 110% and I can pull big again. But in all honesty, I think it was just bad luck and really heavy weight - not a mistake on my part ya know? Who knows lol..

bigpoppachizl
06-30-16, 9:47 pm
I came in wanting 885 lbs (401 kg) b/c I feel like I have that strength at the moment. Something about hitting 400 kilos (881 lbs) makes me feel good- almost as good as pulling 9. But I felt the fatigue from doing "cardio" (walking with no incline at 3.0 mph lmao.. but seriously, even the slightest fatigue will ruin my max. I also did 11 sets on heavy squat day on Monday. Anyway, those are my excuses but I ended up being conservative and just doing nine plates (855 lbs). It felt easy, like I had way more in me but it came up slow, which means I was physically tired. Def cutting out the walking but I gotta keep the squat up, it's my worst lift so...

These are all in pounds and touch-and-go. My gym doesn't have Ivankos, which are so freakin nice btw...

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 4
495 x 1
585 x 1
675 x 1
765 x 1
855 x 1
585 x 3 dead stop

For all the above sets, I switch my over-under grip. The odd numbers, i.e. 135, 315, 5 plates, are always left hand under- that way I can end with left hand under for my max, which is my preferred side. The even numbers, i.e. 225, 405, 6 plates, are always right hand under. You have to work your grip both ways... no weaknesses. That's why when I strained my left bicep, (which is also the one that had to be surgically re-attached) 3 weeks out from my meet in June, I was still able to pull 848 lbs. b/c I could use my right hand under because I had been practicing it.

bigpoppachizl
07-02-16, 12:04 am
The goal here was to work with lighter weights (60-70%) and do lots of volume working on depth. I squatted to a 1 foot box to make sure I was hitting depth. There is lots of research on anatomical differences in the hip joint as well as femur length, etc. I truly think I have long femurs and it causes me to pitch forward a little and thus hit parallel or slightly above or below depending on the squat. I've tried everything - wide/narrow stance, toes pointed outward more, flaring my knees outward on the ascent, olympic shoes/Chucks, high bar/low bar. I've been stretching every day religiously.. my groin is extremely tight and hip flexors as well. Once all these things are worked out, I should be able to make progress on my squat.

Using a 65 lbs squat bar:

155 x 10 x 4
245 x 8 x 3
335 x 5 x 4
425 x 5 x 4
515 x 2 x 3

Hit some ab machine and called it quits. This was not supposed to be a tough workout by any means. I deadlifted yesterday and I am squatting heavy on Monday, so it served as a form check. I usually would have taken this day off or done "cardio" but I need to address my squat form.

bigpoppachizl
07-02-16, 3:33 pm
The idea today is to do enough volume and work that I will be able to max out next weekend. I want to hit 515 lbs next weekend, so everything I did today was tailored toward that. In other words work hard, but don't overexert... b/c whenever I overexert (whether it's max weight or max reps) my max weight the following week goes down. So here goes:

Flat barbell bench:

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 5
405 x 4 x 5 (this is the perfect amount of volume at ~80% and all 5 sets felt easy)

Incline barbell bench:

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 2 (I could have gone higher here but again, I'm saving my CNS for next week)
275 x 7

Reverse sit-ups on a bench 4 x 40

Lateral trunk flexion/extension (I'm a little teapot exercise lol for obliques)

50 x 20
70 x 20
85 x 20

Barbell Shoulder Shrugs

235 x 10 x 3 (This was non-strenuous shrugging.. next week I will go heavier and do more sets)

My PR on bench is 535 touch and go, but hopefully 515 will feel smooth next week.

bigpoppachizl
07-05-16, 10:30 pm
Today was a real volume day. I wanted to work up to ~80% for 5 sets of 3. I ended up doing only 3 sets of 3 because my lower back started acting up. I get excruciating pain in my lower back, like 10/10 on the pain scale sometimes. My doctor told me it could be arthritis from years of heavy lifting but the treatment is just strengthening exercises and to stay off it for prolonged periods of time (not happening). I usually take about 1000mg of ibuprofen before heavyish squat and deadlift days but today it didn't help at all. It hurts most when I unrack the weight and compress the spine. The good news is 605 lbs never felt so easy. Squatting twice a week definitely built my confidence with the weight in terms of strength. Since stretching and foam rolling consistently, my depth is getting better every week.

155 x 10
155 x 10
245 x 10
335 x 8
425 x 6
515 x 4
605 x 3 x 3

I did several sets of abs on a machine and reverse crunches on a bench. After that, I called it quits for a few reasons: 1) My back pain was terrible 2) I want to save some of my muscles from fatiguing b/c I want to hit a big deadlift on Friday. Plus, I'll be squatting again on Saturday so I will do more volume then. This workout definitely built my confidence on my squat strength despite the back problem.

bigpoppachizl
07-07-16, 1:06 pm
In a completely unrelated post, Animal's Mocha Cappuccino whey protein should be illegal it tastes so good.

bigpoppachizl
07-09-16, 10:41 am
855 lbs. felt easy last week despite going up slowly. That means that my muscles were fatigued but the strength was there. Yes, I can tell that from the lift. It's like your body wants to give more but it physically cannot because the muscles are tired. Thus, this week became another heavy deadlift week. I do that sometimes.. when I feel like I can. Otherwise, I have a heavy deadlift day 2-3 weeks between each other to allow my back to recover. Here's the workout:

Our gym has an Oki (Oklahoma) bar that I use in training:

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 4
495 x 1
585 x 1
675 x 1
765 x 1
880 x 1

Sometimes the intensity of the last set is so good that I don't feel the need to do a drop set or even to do accessories. In the off-season, I would do good mornings/hamstring curls/calves, but when I'm training for a meet, it seems I can get away with much less volume. That's why I have a volume day on it's own in the weeks between heavy days. Also, I just feel it out by my body. Sometimes less is more for me. Other times I really need to beat myself up to get stronger. This workout took 2 hours for reference.

Check out the video on my YouTube channel or Instagram or Facebook. It'll get you pumped up for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ExKjtnA0U&feature=youtu.be

bigpoppachizl
07-11-16, 10:19 am
Everything was on point today.. felt really smooth and on track for a ~523 lbs bench at BoB3.

Flat Barbell Bench:

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 8 x 2
315 x 6
405 x 4
455 x 1
515 x 1
555 x 1 (in the yellow SlingShot. I got out of the groove and failed but this was a set just for fun)
435 x 5

Incline Barbell Bench:

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 5
365 x 1
405 x 1 (I haven't gone heavy on incline in a while. This felt really smooth and strong.)
315 x 5

Great bench session. Next week is volume and I'll go for 525 lbs in 2 weeks. Again, my PR touch and go is 535 lbs. I hit that just before my last meet in June and that produced a third attempt of 523 lbs where I just missed at lockout due to a major cramp in my hamstring at the top. Hopefully this time I will be successful. My meet PR paused is 510 lbs.

bigpoppachizl
07-12-16, 10:58 am
Today I worked up to 80-90% range for some volume. I ended with 3 sets of 3 with 655 lbs. that felt really smooth. I will keep alternating strength weeks with rep weeks and will be looking to squat between 730 - 750 lbs in knee sleeves at BoB3. My lower back started aching but I was able to get all my sets in before the real pain set in.

155 x 10 x 2
245 x 8
335 x 6
425 x 6
515 x 5
605 x 3
655 x 3 x 3

Again, here the intensity was so good that I didn't feel the need for accessories. Training for an upcoming meet has become SO different than my training in the off-season. In the off-season, I would have pyramid up to a heavy double or single, then followed up with leg press/ leg extension/ leg curl , maybe even walking lunges. I think the reason I can get more volume in the off-season is because I give my body more rest. Whereas during meet prep every Monday is squat day to keep on track, during the off-season it might be every 10 days is squat day. Things are moving along though, so I keep it this way.

bigpoppachizl
07-15-16, 8:55 am
I did "cardio" on Tuesday followed by helping someone move out of his house on Wednesday. Needless to say, I was fatigued going into tonight's workout. But this week just serves as a placeholder until next week's big pull. I'm just trying to get some stimulation without frying my CNS until next week, the BIG 900. Simple workout, but great stress on my lower back.. just enough to not be painful but enough to offer strength gains for next week...

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 10
315 x 4
405 x 4
495 x 1
585 x 2
700 x 6 (5 touch and go, 1 dead stop)
495 x 8

Reading my workouts make it seem like I'm not really doing much. But I've learned to listen to my body. I know just the right amount to make my strength go up each week without getting too fatigued. Let's see what we can pull together for next week.

bigpoppachizl
07-17-16, 4:31 pm
I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio for the week seeing old friends. My bodybuilder friend convinced me to work out LA Fitness. I hate the bars at the one I go to, (thicker and the racks are very dangerous), but I still was able to get a decent workout.

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 8 x 2
315 x 5
405 x 4 x 4

On my last set, I felt a pop in my right tricep. It was a scary moment. It just happened to me a few weeks ago when I was training chest at Dana Linn Bailey's gym in Reading, PA. I pressed 500 lbs and felt the same pop, but luckily finished the rep. Here, I dropped the weight slowly onto my chest and was able to finish the last rep with a small spot. It's definitely not torn, but I know something is up with it. I'm really hoping it stays solid for BoB3. I cut the workout there just to be safe. I tore my quad doing a squat in my second meet, tore my bicep pulling a deadlift in my third meet- all I have left is a bench injury... I keep it in the back of my head and I'm careful but you can never anticipate an injury I guess. Really frustrating.

Nmowery
07-17-16, 5:33 pm
Just curious, but where do you usually train? Like someone else mentioned earlier, I also saw you at the abc in eaton last year - I'm about an hour north of Cinci myself.

bigpoppachizl
07-17-16, 6:48 pm
Just curious, but where do you usually train? Like someone else mentioned earlier, I also saw you at the abc in eaton last year - I'm about an hour north of Cinci myself.

Rivercity Barbell in Newport, KY is my main powerlifting gym. Yeah I drove about an hour to Eaton last year. I wish I lived around there.. that gym was sweet.

Nmowery
07-17-16, 8:50 pm
It is hella nice! I don't live that far from eaton, and know other people who lift there, but the only time I've been there was for that abc. I'd fucking kill for a monolift and buffalo bar at my gym...ive thought about going down there weekly to squat, but my gym is 2 min. From my house and has 24 hr access for my fucked up work schedule, so convenience wins out there.

bigpoppachizl
07-18-16, 11:48 am
It is hella nice! I don't live that far from eaton, and know other people who lift there, but the only time I've been there was for that abc. I'd fucking kill for a monolift and buffalo bar at my gym...ive thought about going down there weekly to squat, but my gym is 2 min. From my house and has 24 hr access for my fucked up work schedule, so convenience wins out there.

Haha, yeah I guess the most important thing is getting it in! That's too convenient to pass up... Hopefully I'll see you up there if they have another ABC some time!

bigpoppachizl
07-18-16, 10:49 pm
My left knee and right quad were giving me issues since last week. I went ahead with the workout anyway. This week, I want to pull BIG on Thursday so today was a volume day at ~80%. Again, not too heavy.. just enough to stay strong and not too much to affect my deadlift. I'm really going to need an offseason to work on my squat b/c I am prioritizing the deadlift for BoB3. I need a time where I'm not on a schedule or a deadline, for example squat when my legs/back have recovered like in 10 days instead of 7 or to squat more frequently and put the deadlift on the back burner. I really want a bigger squat. I'm starting to like it a lot.

155 x 10 x 2
245 x 10
335 x 5
425 x 5
515 x 5
605 x 3 x 3
425 x 10

Back in Cincinnati at Rivercity Barbell (actually in Newport, KY). The gym atmosphere is amazing. Everyone has a one-track mind: get stronger. Blasting heavy music and tons of spotters and support on your workouts is what you can expect. Check out gym owner Zac Whalen's article in the newest issue of Power Magazine.

Pete Rubish
07-19-16, 7:02 am
Did you move back to Cincinnati? I take that as a good sign.

bigpoppachizl
07-19-16, 9:03 am
Did you move back to Cincinnati? I take that as a good sign.

I wish my man.. I'm actually looking for work here, came to get my dog and cat. She won't even talk to me.. blocked me on text/FB/email. After 4 years together, you'd think she'd give me the decency of closure but nope. Time heals all I guess. Thanks for caring tho lol

Pete Rubish
07-19-16, 2:27 pm
I wish my man.. I'm actually looking for work here, came to get my dog and cat. She won't even talk to me.. blocked me on text/FB/email. After 4 years together, you'd think she'd give me the decency of closure but nope. Time heals all I guess. Thanks for caring tho lol
Well at least you've got your pets man. We're looking at getting a German Shepherd in the next two months or so. We've been talking about it for awhile and it's been a year now since I last had a dog. See you in California buddy!

bigpoppachizl
07-20-16, 10:20 am
Well at least you've got your pets man. We're looking at getting a German Shepherd in the next two months or so. We've been talking about it for awhile and it's been a year now since I last had a dog. See you in California buddy!

Yeah thanks man.. My next dog will be a German Shepherd.. love those dogs. Can't wait till Cali, it's gonna be fun!!!

bigpoppachizl
07-22-16, 2:10 pm
It's time to come to terms with what happened! I was pulling for an audience at RiverCity Barbell in northern Kentucky. I was SO confident in my pulls thus far. Guess what? I missed. First miss since January. This wasn't a strength miss, this was a miss due to pulling a hamstring- which has never ever happened to me doing deadlifts. 900 came off the floor quick, but about 6 inches up, my leg started shaking forward and back and I felt a pop and had to drop it. Hopefully this is a minor strain and should be completely healed by BoB3. I am getting sick and tired of injuries, frankly, but I guess it comes with the territory. Depending on how it feels, I might want to give it another run tomorrow because my back is hardly sore at all.... All the warmups flew off the ground and I felt strong as heck that day:

135 x 10 x 2
335 x 8
425 x 4
515 x 1
605 x 1
695 x 1
765 x 1
900 - strained hammy

Humidity and electrolytes never meant so much to me than in powerlifting. It was hot out that day ~90 degrees. I was sweating more than usual and actually drank an entire gallon of water sitting there doing the deads. I will go for it again either tomorrow (if my hammy heals a little bit or even just enough that I can take it out of the lift) or next week, depending on how the hammy has healed. 900 is going down at some point before BoB3,, I need to feel the weight.

I feel like I let people down at this thing. One girl left a concert early to come watch me. Another guy invited his girlfriend to come see it. I take my lifts very seriously and I love to entertain people if they care haha. That's why I'm really bummed about missing this lift. I had forgotten what it feels like to fail on a big deadlift, but this one wasn't a strength failure, just a body failure...

bigpoppachizl
07-25-16, 4:31 pm
I tried it again. Took enough ibuprofen that I could not feel my hammy (which has completely healed by today btw). I went up the same progression of weights, but 765 lbs came up really slow. Even though my muscles were completely recovered, my CNS was fried from 2 days ago. I let them down in Cincinnati. I'll be back in October for a wedding to redeem myself.

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 10
335 x 4
425 x 4
515 x 1
605 x 1
695 x 1
765 x 1 cut it here, came up too slow

I will try 900 again in a week and a half... gotta be sure the CNS recovers. I may want more by then, but I also might play it conservative and just go for 900 flat. It's going down before BoB3.

In other good news, I got into medical school at Drexel University in Philly. This turns my life in a new direction and for the first time in a long time I see that I can become successful... It's a great feeling. Don't worry, I checked the schedule of classes and BoB3 falls right after our first exam. So while everyone is out partying, I'll be getting ready to do BIG THINGS!! Keeping my head up and moving forward with the training...

bigpoppachizl
07-25-16, 11:46 pm
Not a good day... My tricep strain from a week ago was more significant than I thought. My arm bruised up. I try to never post pictures of my injuries b/c I don't like showing weakness. Benching was OK, but I cut it at 405 lbs. because after one rep I felt some sharpness in my shoulder/pec area. I know my tricep was giving me grief a week ago when I dropped 405 on my chest,, but I was still able to push it up easily with a spotter. I think I can go up to 455 ish right now but I don't know about 500+. This might be the first meet where I don't bench 500, which would be very disappointing. But let's be clear: I'm there to deadlift first and total high/sponsorship/fame second. I'm there to deadlift. I want 900+. That might mean 903 if I'm fatigued by the end or 920+ if I'm ready to risk everything. I'm known to risk everything so... I heard Yuri Belkin's gonna be there so... American vs. Russian so... Rocky style so... Let's do this!!!

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 8 x 2
315 x 5
405 x 1 Cut it here b/c I felt a sharpness in my shoulder/pec area

In the back of my mind I'm thinking the tricep just needs time to heal (medial head only).... I'm thinking 2-3 weeks (it's already been 1). I hope I'll be ready for BoB3 in the bench department. But I'm also weary of my pec... I tore a quad squatting so that one of my legs doesn't look like the other one anymore- the muscle is torn but the tendon still attached, I tore my left biceps puling the World Record deadlift, only thing left is to tear a pec/tricep something in the bench press realm. I'm ALWAYS scared when I go under a 500 bench. But that I know I can almost always get. I want that same feeling with 900 deadlift. It's getting there. Then you guys will see me drop 900 on an average saturday lol, no meet in mind. That's what I want... Thanks for reading my rants if you read 'em btw!

bigpoppachizl
07-29-16, 9:32 am
I worked up to an easy 700 lbs x 2. Everything felt good despite my strained hammy, which bruised up down by the kneecap. Since I was able to squat with no issues, I am confident I will be able to put up a good squat and serious deadlift at BoB3. This was the first squat workout in a long time that I did not take ibuprofen before the workout and that my back gave me no issues whatsoever. I seriously try to figure out why the lower back issue happens, but it seems like there is not a single trigger.

155 x 10 x 2
245 x 8 x 2
335 x 5
425 x 5
515 x 2
605 x 2
655 x 1
700 x 2
515 x 5

Great workout. I gained a lot of confidence on my squat here. My work on hitting depth in the past meet prep (extensive stretching and foam rolling) has paid off. Now, to balance a heavy deadlift with more squats until the meet...

bigpoppachizl
08-01-16, 2:32 pm
My tricep is still healing. I have a huge bruise on the inside of my arm and I can feel the tricep having trouble as the weight increases. The goal here was to test out the arm and just fill the muscle with blood. I'm a big fan of active recovery, aka working through an injury. I rarely stay off a muscle completely until it heals. I train on it using as much weight as I feel comfortable without re-injuring it. This method definitely increases my healing time, but I prefer it. Not the smartest, but whatever... Here, I was able to do 5 sets of 315. Although I think I'm good for 400-450 range right now, I didn't feel comfortable testing it just yet. Next week and the week after will be CRITICAL in getting my bench back to where it needs to be by BoB3. Hopefully this injury heals by then... very unfortunate.

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 10 x 2
315 x 5 x 5 (7 reps on the 4th set and 10 reps on the 5th set)

I am really scared under the bench these days, but I will try to go heavier to gain confidence next week. My squat is where it needs to be and my dead is almost there... just gotta fix this bench situation.

bigpoppachizl
08-07-16, 7:55 pm
I got sick with a bad cold on Monday this week. I thought I'd try 900 on Thursday but I knew being sick would change the plan. Also, for med school orientation they had us doing lots of social events at night. It felt like homework... I had to go home and nap to prepare for the social, then wake up at 6am the next day for more orientation haha. Needless to say, i was beat up all week. I tried 855 lbs. and it felt heavy.. but I think this is because I was still sick and my body was tired. Hopefully my strength rebounds by BoB3. I will do lots of sub max work this week to make up for the low max of 855 instead of 900. I just hope it all comes together at the meet for a big pull (high 800's to 900).

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 10 x 2
315 x 5
405 x 4
495 x 1
585 x 1
675 x 1
765 x 1
855 x 1
585 x 1 (nervous system was shot and 1 rep was like pulling a max here)

Good Mornings:

135 x 10
225 x 5 x 5

I added in good mornings to make up for some of the work I lost by not hitting 900. These good mornings plus lots of reps on Thursday of next week should keep me on track for a high 800 to 900 lbs. deadlift at BoB3. The hamstring tear from 2 weeks ago was a non-issue. I don't even feel it and it's healing quickly. Let's see what the future holds...

bigpoppachizl
08-07-16, 7:59 pm
I gave my tricep enough time to heal as much as possible. It is still black and blue but today's workout didn't aggravate it at all. I didn't feel any sharpness or pain in either my tricep or pec, so my confidence on the bench is rebounding. I'm still getting over the sickness.. (just about done) but it definitely affected me. I was able to hit 455 easy and fast, but I only got 525 lbs about half way without a pause. Again, I think this is because I'm getting over a sickness and bad eating/sleeping last week. The goal is 523 at BoB3, but definitely 500 as a second attempt. This should save my total...

135 x 10 x 2
225 x 10 x 2
315 x 5
405 x 4
455 x 1
525 x 1 (missed at lockout. Tried touch and go and it still wasn't there.. I'm hoping this is due to sickness b/c I felt strong all the way up to this set).
315 x 10 (went for a light down set b/c I'm still afraid of the tricep or pec tearing... the idea was to fill the muscles with blood and continue the recovery.. I already took the big risk in 525)

Randy Sullivan
08-08-16, 6:21 am
Hi guys! I'm a new guy here. Dan Green suggested that I post my training here. It will be good b/c I don't post my training anywhere as of now.

A little background: I'm 32 years old. On 12/05/15 I set the All-Time Raw WR Deadlift in the 275 lbs weight class beating Konstantin Konstantinov's 906 lbs. by pulling 915 lbs. It was my 3rd meet and BoB3 will be my 5th. I'm hoping to total 2100+ lbs in knee sleeves at BoB3 with a 900+ deadlift, if training goes as planned. I hit 2,033 lbs in sleeves at my last meet in June 683/501/848 which was my first meet back from distal biceps tendon reattachment surgery I suffered while setting the WR in December.

Check out my Instagram (@bigpoppachizl) or Facebook/YouTube accounts for videos of all my training.

I'm excited to post here and am happy to take any questions.

I have been a personal trainer for 3 years in the past and have trained several clients of all ages, so I have some knowledge in the area. I call myself a "Pro" powerlifter, but that is in terms of total. In terms of the sport itself, I'm still a noob and have a lot to learn. But I think I have some insight to offer on the deadlift, specifically.

I hope you guys enjoy the content!

Hey Aria, barring injury, what openers do you plan to hit on squat, bench, and deadlift at BoB III? By the way, CONGRATS on setting the All-Time WR Deadlift in the 275 lbs weight class! Very impressive!

bigpoppachizl
08-08-16, 6:47 am
Hey Aria, barring injury, what openers do you plan to hit on squat, bench, and deadlift at BoB III? By the way, CONGRATS on setting the All-Time WR Deadlift in the 275 lbs weight class! Very impressive!

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm still thinking this through, but I'm leaning toward 683 squat / 455 bench / 800 deadlift. I take bigger jumps, that's just how I train. I'm hoping to end up with a 730 squat / 523 bench / 881 - 903 deadlift. It all depends on the day, my hydration, rebound after cutting a few lbs. etc. Let's see how it goes!!

Randy Sullivan
08-08-16, 11:51 am
Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm still thinking this through, but I'm leaning toward 683 squat / 455 bench / 800 deadlift. I take bigger jumps, that's just how I train. I'm hoping to end up with a 730 squat / 523 bench / 881 - 903 deadlift. It all depends on the day, my hydration, rebound after cutting a few lbs. etc. Let's see how it goes!!

That's awesome! I hope you hit your numbers. I have a goal of making it in the Pro division which for 242 weight class I believe is 1,605.

I did my very first powerlifting meet two weeks ago in Lancaster, PA. It was Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate (RPS). I had a blast even though I did bench only. I opened on bench at 330 lbs. and then hit 345 lbs. I tried 355 lbs. but didn't get it. I'm recovering from a severe muscular strain that I incurred in April 2015 in my perineum (groin region) from doing heavy barbell back squats and deadlifts twice a week, every week for 3 months straight. So squatting and deadlifting was definitely out from the RPS meet. I didn't listen to my body and thought I would be fine...Nope. Paying for it now. I've spent several weeks at the Chiropractor working through the injury. It's a lot better now but I know I'm not back to normal. I'm starting completely over on squat and deadlift doing 135 lbs. for 1 set of 5 and eventually will go to 5 sets of 5 then slowly increase the weight and go back to 1 set of 5...Rinse and repeat. If the pain still persists then I will look into Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections. I know it's pretty expensive but at this point I'm out of options and this injury is beyond annoying.

Before I got injured I was doing 4x4 on deadlift with 500 lbs. (touch and go) and 4x4 on squat with 405 in knee sleeves. My max on deadlift was 565 lbs. for two singles 15 minutes apart and squat was 475 lbs. Sucks starting over but what can ya do. I lift much smarter now and base everything on feel. I do this as a precautionary method in an attempt to prevent further injury of any kind.

bigpoppachizl
08-08-16, 3:57 pm
That's awesome! I hope you hit your numbers. I have a goal of making it in the Pro division which for 242 weight class I believe is 1,605.

I did my very first powerlifting meet two weeks ago in Lancaster, PA. It was Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate (RPS). I had a blast even though I did bench only. I opened on bench at 330 lbs. and then hit 345 lbs. I tried 355 lbs. but didn't get it. I'm recovering from a severe muscular strain that I incurred in April 2015 in my perineum (groin region) from doing heavy barbell back squats and deadlifts twice a week, every week for 3 months straight. So squatting and deadlifting was definitely out from the RPS meet. I didn't listen to my body and thought I would be fine...Nope. Paying for it now. I've spent several weeks at the Chiropractor working through the injury. It's a lot better now but I know I'm not back to normal. I'm starting completely over on squat and deadlift doing 135 lbs. for 1 set of 5 and eventually will go to 5 sets of 5 then slowly increase the weight and go back to 1 set of 5...Rinse and repeat. If the pain still persists then I will look into Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections. I know it's pretty expensive but at this point I'm out of options and this injury is beyond annoying.

Before I got injured I was doing 4x4 on deadlift with 500 lbs. (touch and go) and 4x4 on squat with 405 in knee sleeves. My max on deadlift was 565 lbs. for two singles 15 minutes apart and squat was 475 lbs. Sucks starting over but what can ya do. I lift much smarter now and base everything on feel. I do this as a precautionary method in an attempt to prevent further injury of any kind.

Glad to hear about your meet and that you're back on track!! Yeah, unfortunately it seems like injuries are just a part of the game in this sport. The idea is to keep them to a minimum and when they happen, to nurse yourself back to health. Sounds like you've got a good plan moving forward. Get after it man!! Injuries are temporary- the weight is waiting for you!

Randy Sullivan
08-09-16, 6:52 am
Glad to hear about your meet and that you're back on track!! Yeah, unfortunately it seems like injuries are just a part of the game in this sport. The idea is to keep them to a minimum and when they happen, to nurse yourself back to health. Sounds like you've got a good plan moving forward. Get after it man!! Injuries are temporary- the weight is waiting for you!

Thanks man! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the BoB III video footage online. I can't wait to see everyone lift. You guys sure know how to party with the weights. lol