PDA

View Full Version : Pro Vs Amateur

Orthodox
07-01-16, 6:08 am
Pro Vs Amateur...

Ok guys, whats the difference?

For arguments sake and to make things easier, lets stick to Bodybuilding. This post is geared towards the belief that bodybuilding at any level, is based solely, on building and developing ones body. As it should be. I mean, bodybuilders build their body. The titles pretty much self explanatory lol.

So yeah... Pro Vs Amateur... whats the difference? Or more to the point... What makes a Pro a pro?

I'll give you a clue... Its got nothing to do with sponsorships, endorsements, advertising etc because well, i get offers daily and have done for the last say 15 years to promote some kind of stupid supplement, claiming to be a magic potion and the next best thing, only to then disappear the following day and I'm not a pro so?

Being a pro is nothing to do with money either. Many pros who don't place top 5 still have to work, like doing PT for example in their spare time. Also, being a 'Pro bodybuilder' is somewhat different to any another pro athlete in the sense of money because where all other pro athletes in other sports fields get paid to perform, a pro bodybuilder has to pay to perform themselves. Wether that be for entry into that show that their competing in or for that so converted 'Pro Card', or 'Golden ticket' as i like to refer to it, as as it gets you through the doors and into Mr Willy Wonkers, magical chocolate Factory or industry in this case. You get to see all his special secretes. The golden ticket also allows you access into certain rooms in that factory others have no access to, enabling you to then see and hear things others cannot.

So... Pro bodybuilder Vs Amateur... Whats the difference?

An obvious factor is the 'Physique'. True... A Pro will definitely have a well developed physique but dose that make him a pro? I mean...how do you determine such a thing?
Dose he or shes arms have to be a certain size, as in for example hit 23" in order to be considered a pro? But why? Thats only because you look at most pro's and they just happen to have 23" arms. So you therefore conclude that that is required in order to be a pro. You now expect it.

I know many pros who have have 21" arms. Infact i also know many bodybuilders (including myself) who have 23" and above arms but are not considered a pro? Why? Is that because you don't know them or me? Is being a pro therefore based on "Fame?'. Odds are in my case, you probably do know me :) only you just don't know it yet? Infact if your a youtube watcher, you've probably, no definitely seen me but i am not a pro. Im in say that video with a pro/s but... one day i'll tell you who i am! ;)

Maybe its the 'Pro Card' that differentiates between the two? That makes you a pro but if thats the case, then one could also say that that well developed amateur, was already a pro before they received their pro card, because their physique would of had to of been considered at a pro level, to of even been granted a pro card.

Hold on... I know? Its to do with how much national shows you win but once again, their are many who chose not to compete (like myself) but have a physique that is more than worthy of a pro card. Well, going on what i see now a days on the stage that is.

I'll tell you what the difference is to what a pro bodybuilder dose to say an amateur, NOTHING! I know, I've met most of the pro's that stand on that Olympia stage, hell I've even been lucky enough over the years, to have met all the Mr O's.

Wether, thats just in passing or we have sat and eat together or we trained or did our cardio together. Hell, my social circle is made up of pros, my best friend (other than my Wife who was coincidentally also a Pro Ballet Dancer) is a pro, even though he doesn't consider himself to be one, based on the fact that he doesn't compete. Nevertheless, his got aspects of his physique that are as developed, or if not more developed than some of those blessed guys on that olympia stage.

A pro dose the same thing as an amateur dose. Eats, Sleeps and Trains. Obviously minus all the business commitments to say, his sponsors, endorsements, advertising, guest appearances, seminars and expo's etc. Its very very simple what a pro bodybuilder dose, its the same as an amateur, so whats the difference?

The ONLY DIFFERENCE between a pro and amateur, other than THEIR PHYSIQUES, is what they KNOW and how LONG they have been DOING what they know. Thats the difference between a PRO bodybuilder and a so-called amateur.

A pro will approach building his body in a different way, a more serious and strategical way = A professional way. His approach to say diet is different (even though it was once the same) such as, a pro will pay more attention to his DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. For example, If your body cannot properly digest food right, then how the hell are you gonna be able to consume say 5,000 + cals a day or 10,000 in my case (which was only due to my understanding of my body's digestion process). Its just not gonna happen. A pro will know not just the different type of protein and carbs that there are out, he or she will also know when to eat them and more importantly, what works best. A pro will know their own body.

A pro supplements right, knows what to use, how much to use and when to use it and he or she is definitely gonna be taking in enough WATER. A pro knows how much sleep they need, when to rest and how long to train for. What to train and what not to train. A pro knows when to do their CARDIO and when to throw in some EXTRA CARDIO.

Why? Because a pro has been listening to their body for longer than an amateur and they have all the above FOR LONGER.

Thats the difference between a pro bodybuilder and an amateur. THEIR APPROACH TO HOW THEY BUILD THEIR BODY... They have been doing it for longer. Thats how you DEVELOP and attain a Professional looking physique, Over time by using a professional approach. Yes everybody's body is different but they must all be doing the same thing because their standing on the stage together and their all called the same thing...'A Pro'.

Im just throwing something out there. Something for you to think about.

Thanks guys and...

Journey Well

Rex
07-11-16, 10:37 am
In a perfect world, I´d totally agree with what your saying.

Pros train smarter, harder, longer, are more knowledgable, more dedicated and so on... Sure. Some certainly are. But frankly, some of them have no idea what they´re doing and even with that they aren´t consistent or intense.
One very strong factor is genetics. Ability to build muscle, recover, response to supplements, bone structure etc. That certainly is something you cannot neglect.

J U S T I N
07-11-16, 10:49 am
great point of view - I agree