PDA

View Full Version : Training Headache

make1tra1n
03-22-07, 2:09 pm
I was hitting 20 rep squats the other day and once I racked the weight it felt like a bomb went off in my head. I ignored it and started some heavy deads - after each set I had to deal with a 20 second blinding headache that would slowly fade. I thought I was just dehydrated because I hit 200mg of caffeine and some green tea extract.

I didn't think much of any of this until yesterday morning when I got on the bench. I starting upping the weight and once I reached the last few reps of any set the back of my neck contracted so hard it felt like it would tear. This was all followed by another 20-30 second blinding headache that just made me want to lay down.

Anyone have any similar experience/know what this shit is and when it will subside?

Ricky P
03-22-07, 2:19 pm
I was hitting 20 rep squats the other day and once I racked the weight it felt like a bomb went off in my head. I ignored it and started some heavy deads - after each set I had to deal with a 20 second blinding headache that would slowly fade. I thought I was just dehydrated because I hit 200mg of caffeine and some green tea extract.

I didn't think much of any of this until yesterday morning when I got on the bench. I starting upping the weight and once I reached the last few reps of any set the back of my neck contracted so hard it felt like it would tear. This was all followed by another 20-30 second blinding headache that just made me want to lay down.

Anyone have any similar experience/know what this shit is and when it will subside?

I'm almost amazed because I've had the same problem! I would try and explain it and NO ONE would understand it. Couple months ago I was on the leg press doing just a dumb amount of weight and on about my 5th or 6th rep something snapped in the back of my head and yeah it felt like a bomb went off. I was dizzy and lightheaded for a little while, but had to suck it up and finish the workout. It was one of the worst pains ever. It lasted for a week or two. I used to get them when I played baseball. If I ever really tried to let a pitch loose and let one fly sometimes that'd happen. It only happens a couple times a year but when it does, it's really painful. I was supposed to see someone through my head trainer at school but I never went. That was a mistake because I had insurance at that point, now I'm screwed if that happens again. But yeah I got that using extremely heavy weight. Last time it happened, I had to back off leg workouts because that was where I pushed the heaviest weight and I put myself under the most strain. It went away after a couple of weeks, but I definitely know what your talking about, I thought I was the only one.

make1tra1n
03-22-07, 2:28 pm
I'm almost amazed because I've had the same problem! I would try and explain it and NO ONE would understand it. Couple months ago I was on the leg press doing just a dumb amount of weight and on about my 5th or 6th rep something snapped in the back of my head and yeah it felt like a bomb went off. I was dizzy and lightheaded for a little while, but had to suck it up and finish the workout. It was one of the worst pains ever. It lasted for a week or two. I used to get them when I played baseball. If I ever really tried to let a pitch loose and let one fly sometimes that'd happen. It only happens a couple times a year but when it does, it's really painful. I was supposed to see someone through my head trainer at school but I never went. That was a mistake because I had insurance at that point, now I'm screwed if that happens again. But yeah I got that using extremely heavy weight. Last time it happened, I had to back off leg workouts because that was where I pushed the heaviest weight and I put myself under the most strain. It went away after a couple of weeks, but I definitely know what your talking about, I thought I was the only one.

Did you hear something snap in your neck? I don't remember hearing anything but the pain pretty much made me disregard everything around me.

Phil800101
03-22-07, 2:31 pm
This has happened to me before. A few times on leg day I've gotten really bad headaches localized at the back of my head, and yeah, it felt like something exploded. This happened after pushing heavy weight on leg presses or doing high numbers of reps on squats or leg presses. For me though, these headaches were very short lived. They'd be really intense for a couple minutes, and then fade away. This has only happened to me a few times though, and only once did the headache not go away completely after a few minutes, and even then it was just a weak, dull ache for a few hours.

Liftbig21
03-22-07, 2:48 pm
Are you guys holding your breath? If so that could be a reason and you have to watch about popping a blood vessel in your brain (Anyrizum),Which is fatal most of the time....If it has nothing to do with breathing i would see a doctor about it .

Ricky P
03-22-07, 3:15 pm
I didn't hear a pop, but definitely FELT a pop. More like a crack, like and air pocket popping or something as if you were cracking your knuckles. Same thing though Phil, my headaches were localized in the back of my head, lower part, and really intense for about 3-4 minutes and then I had a dull pain the rest of the day and it lasted about a week in that area, usually felt it when I turned my head and stuff.

evansm31
03-22-07, 4:33 pm
You might have some nerve damage back there. That is a serious problem and you should go to the doctor immediatley. There is a difference between being "ANIMAL" and gutting out the last rep when you feel like puking and forcing yourself to squeeze out one more rep when your in serious, unexplainable pain. My buddy popped a blood vessel in his brain and besides almost dying, he was out for 6 months, no lifting. When he came back, he went from 270 lbs. of sick muscle, down to a 200 lb. weakling. He's not allowed to lift any heavy weights for the rest of his life. So you have to ask yourself, is it worth ignoring? My friend thought so, and he doesn't look too imtimidating now lifting 15 lb. cables. Be safe brother...

Phil800101
03-22-07, 4:38 pm
I never felt or heard a pop or anything like that. Liftbig, at least in my case I think you might be right, I was probably just holding my breath or something. I mean, this doesn't happen to me regularly at all, maybe two or three times in the past year.

envy524
03-22-07, 5:04 pm
do you breathe right when your lifting? because if you hold your breathe that makes you light headed and the more weight your lifting the more light headed your going to get

BeastofBurden
03-22-07, 5:18 pm
was benchin 225 for about 3 reps the other day and had the EXACT same thing happen to me man.. Had another headache the next day too. Your right though, it felt like a bomb went off in my head! It basically felt like I had been pushign my head through the bench too hard or something

born0withno0soul
03-22-07, 5:27 pm
yea i would go see a chiropractor for this bro. sounds like a nerve being pinched and it will only get worse. i use to have migraines that felt like what your describing but for much longer than 30 seconds. i had them for hours and i used so mnay prescriptions and gave blood for lab test after lab test. even had to give myself shots in the stomach of imitrex to weaken the pain once i got older and they got worse. i went to a chiropractor for a few months and noticed that all migraines had disappeared and have not had one in about 5 years. your spinal cord is the cause of these pains i would bet you money on it. get it checked out by a chiropractor because they will probably not go away on their own. spinal injuries usually dont.

make1tra1n
03-22-07, 6:05 pm
was benchin 225 for about 3 reps the other day and had the EXACT same thing happen to me man.. Had another headache the next day too. Your right though, it felt like a bomb went off in my head! It basically felt like I had been pushign my head through the bench too hard or something

Did the back of your neck contract really hard?

BeastofBurden
03-22-07, 8:13 pm
yes sir.. felt had like i had to strech my neck out again or go see a chiropractor lol it was kinda scary when it happened

ncsu06
03-22-07, 8:47 pm
I just got done with a series of test by a nuerologist for almost the same thing. about 3 weeks ago i was doing squats and i was on my last set of 20 and decided to push out 5 more. when i was done i had localized extreme pain in the front left side of my head. It literally brought me to my knees and i felt like i was going to pass out it was so intense. It lasted for about 10 min and then just turned into a headache for a couple of days. Its happened to me before but i always just ignored it. I'm a collegiate wrestler so i went and saw my trainer and i had to get a CAT scan and a MRI everything checked back normal though. i was talking to my nuerologist and he said it could be that i just ripped the lining that surrounds my brain from my head b/c when you lift your brain swells and it gets "backed out" (reason for red faces and blown vessels in your eyes) he said this could have caused a tear in the lining which hurts like a bitch bro.....so essentially it could be nothing but better safe than sorry...i guess this is what makes the animal out of us...we just have to push through it....good luck bro...

BeastofBurden
03-22-07, 10:20 pm
I actually got a CAT scan done today because of a fight I got into and nothing came up as well. So neither the lifting or the fists to the temple did the damage so I guess its all good.

Little Houghton
03-22-07, 10:28 pm
this same exact thing happened to my buddy that i lift with, and after a few days he went to the doctor. they said it was actually a muscle along the back of his neck, and an artery that runs under it gets pumping, which puts pressure on the inflamed muscle. just give it a week or so without goin real heavy and it should be alright.

Budsbythebeach
03-23-07, 12:31 am
personally i take aspirin before heavy days, ie bench, squat. why not try that?

make1tra1n
03-23-07, 12:43 am
personally i take aspirin before heavy days, ie bench, squat. why not try that?

I will...I should have anyways with all the caffeine I took.

I hit some cardio tonight and the back of my neck is a little sore and my head felt like it was pumping (maybe I'm getting paranoid)-like right where it connects to my skull. I did some reading and saw that some of the neck muscles connect to the dura matter (membrane around the brain) and that if they contract they can compress the brain-a la bad headache. I just don't want an aneurysm because that would suck. I figure I would blow out a membrane in my nose or a blood vessel in my eye or ears before I popped a serious one in my head...but I could be wrong.

Augur
03-23-07, 6:51 pm
I had the same headache happen to me after doing heavy squats. I did some research and found if you hold your breath, or even do not breath deeply enough, the extreme stress your body is under causes a natural spike in blood pressure. The main side effect of a spike in blood pressure is a massive headache among other things. I don't know if this is any help but it sounded like it might fit your case.

donk
03-24-07, 9:32 pm
same thing happened to me about six months ago. i was doing heavy leg presses and got a damn headache so bad all i wanted to do was bang my head against somthin it hurt so bad. kept doin it for three days, i would walk into the gym and begin warmin up and get an intense headache. come to find out, the animal nitro was doin it to me because in expands the blood vessels. i started takin nitro after my workout instead of before and never had another problem. it could have been the caffeine for you bro.

THE TORNADO
03-24-07, 9:56 pm
I Had This Happen Two Or Three Times Before. Whenever It Happens I Usually Lighten Up The Load And Just Try To Do A Compact Workout. About A Year Ago, I Was Lifting Really Heavy, And It Felt Like A Bomb Went Off In My Head And The Headache Lasted For About Three Days Straight. It Was So Bad That I Couldn't Go To Work And I Just Vomited All The Time. My Girlfriend Made Me Go To The Er And They Said Nothing Was Wrong And Gave Me A Stronger Pain Killer. The Pain Killer Didn't Do Anything, But After About A Week Of Not Lifting The Headache Went Away. Now Every Now And Again, I Will Start To Get The Headache And I Will Just Do A Compact Workout And Then Take A Couple Days Off.

Liftbig21
03-25-07, 12:03 am
Guys im glad to hear everything is okay...But when you train your not just training your muscles,You have to train your lungs.Inhale on the negative and as your driving the weight slowly exhale.Holding your breath can make you black out or even die.Be safe brothers!

make1tra1n
03-25-07, 12:43 am
same thing happened to me about six months ago. i was doing heavy leg presses and got a damn headache so bad all i wanted to do was bang my head against somthin it hurt so bad. kept doin it for three days, i would walk into the gym and begin warmin up and get an intense headache. come to find out, the animal nitro was doin it to me because in expands the blood vessels. i started takin nitro after my workout instead of before and never had another problem. it could have been the caffeine for you bro.

I am experiencing the same shit...for the past 2 workouts I get the headache experience all over again. Once I put something just a little heavy on the bar, I pop my headache cherry and enter a world of pain. I still have a dull ache in my head from lifting 6 hours ago. I had to compress all my workout into a bullshit session...I hate half-speed workouts. I just want this shit to be over...

peterpyper
03-25-07, 1:37 pm
i had the same problem when i was takin creatine

flatrock
04-12-07, 5:50 pm
Sounds like you guys have experienced an exertional headache or weightlifter's headache. I too have experienced it and know how the pain comes back with any sort of physical exertion. These headaches typically become severe very quickly after a strenuous activity such as weight lifting or sex. Exertional headaches can, in some cases, be a sign of abnormalities in the brain or other diseases. Activities that can agravate these headaches include running, coughing, sneezing, sexual intercourse, and straining with bowel movements. These headaches are mostly benign or harmless... but it probably would be wise to seek some professional help.

Big Wides
04-12-07, 6:04 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=5243

almost the same topic, please use the search function, it sounds like both of you have the same problem.

mustar
12-07-09, 3:31 pm
i'm having this huge headaches every time i do squatts with realy heavy weights. i had a medical exam and everything's fine. can u tell me what am i doing wrong? thanx

C.Coronato
12-07-09, 3:35 pm
i'm having this huge headaches every time i do squatts with realy heavy weights. i had a medical exam and everything's fine. can u tell me what am i doing wrong? thanx

Welcome to leg day my man!

But to be sure have you had your actual skull checked out? not only a med exam?

brickhead
12-07-09, 8:09 pm

I dont get headaches but when I go heavy on Deads or Squats, the last rep after setting the weight down and I stand up to walk I get lightheaded. Lol, it isn't bad because I breathe and I know what's going on, it was just a lot of weight. Feels good actually.

andrewT
12-07-09, 11:21 pm
Good to know I am not the only one who feels this

usually happens once in a while for heavy leg presses, and its cause my breathing isn't 100% that day. Hard to explain and I thought I was the only joe who got it!
It usually ruins my workouts, as anything I lift after makes it return.

MaddMike
12-19-09, 2:48 pm
Hey folks, I found this topic with a search cuz I've been getting similar headaches for the last few lifting sessions.

For me, it is related to heart rate along with the exertion, but also, It seems to subside as I rest inbetween sets and walk to the drinking fountain.

I think it's caused by the Supplements I'm taking. I started taking them a few weeks ago, and it seems like now the Vaso-Dilators are kicking in a little too much.

I cut my Pre-workout mix in half, cut Creatine in half, and upped my water intake. I'll know in a few days I hope...

I'm a rookie though, so you guys have been on supplements a lot longer than me... and I'm sure you would know if that was an issue (such as changing your stak). I think, being a newbie that is trying to overcome Chronic Fatigue after years of Testosterone deficiency...Maybe I just went a little overboard on the Arginine and other stuff that is probably swelling up the vessels in my melon.

Can anyone direct me to information about which specific supplements could cause this? I'm not talking about brand names...But which ingredients (I know Arginine, caffeine, etc...but what others?).

Thanks,
Mike

msktyshha
12-19-09, 11:34 pm
I had the same issue while doing heavy bench, my neck was pressed against the bench and I felt a crack in my neck and after I was done I couldn't lift my neck up and got a headache