PDA

View Full Version : AM Workouts

Kingslayer
08-09-16, 7:02 pm
I'm sure this topic has been done before. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on AM workouts. I'm talking 5AM or 6AM before the work grind.

I work out in a bullshit commercial gym and it's impossible to get in a good one between 12-3 and then 6-9 so I've decided to completely shock my body and start getting up before the sun.

When do yall typically workout? And has it benefited you?

Appleton.Cory
08-10-16, 8:13 am
I get up at 4am every day and do my first workout. I'm usually done around 6am. Then I hit a smaller workout in the afternoon around 4pm when I get home. I also workout in my own garage gym, though.

I've been working out in the morning like this for about 4 years. If I miss a day, I feel terrible throughout the day. But morning workouts definitely put you in a better mood for the rest of the day.

I think the best thing anyone can do is hit the gym hard early in the morning.

BCent
08-10-16, 1:23 pm
Honestly I've done it both ways based on my work schedule. While I "prefer" to train later in the day, once you get used to the AM workouts, there's something kinda nice about knowing you accomplished more in your day than most people will in their whole day...

physlift314
08-10-16, 1:40 pm
From what I can remember, your rated perceived effort (RPE) is higher for morning workouts than evening workouts. I imagine that as you get used to them, that balance flips but I'm not entirely sure. If you're used to PM workouts and switch to AM workouts, just keep in mind that it may be the time switch that seems to cause difficulty. A 300lb squat will be perceived as easier in the PM than in the AM initially and that might be discouraging. You can likely get around this initially by upping your preworkout dosage a bit to give you some extra umph in the beginning and tapering it off as you get used to it. Just something to be aware of.

Starting your day off with that dopamine rush is awesome. I worked out at 4 - 5am for 5 years and loved it. There's something cool about being the only dude awake too at that time. If your schedule allows it and you can get through the initial change, I say do it.

dvnny
08-11-16, 10:54 am
I've been lifting in the AM for about a year now and love it. I also lift in a commercial gym like you which gets crowded around 4-8PM so I enjoy training in the morning. Yes, there's still a few when I go around 6-7AM but only a handful and they are regulars like me. Has it benefitted me? Not particularly, just don't have to wait around for racks and weights to free up or work in with others so I guess that's the benefit. If you enjoy it, stick with it.

C.Coronato
08-11-16, 10:58 am
Honestly I've done it both ways based on my work schedule. While I "prefer" to train later in the day, once you get used to the AM workouts, there's something kinda nice about knowing you accomplished more in your day than most people will in their whole day...

I like this, and I've actually been thinking about trying an AM scheme.

Appleton.Cory
08-11-16, 1:43 pm
I've been lifting in the AM for about a year now and love it. I also lift in a commercial gym like you which gets crowded around 4-8PM so I enjoy training in the morning. Yes, there's still a few when I go around 6-7AM but only a handful and they are regulars like me. Has it benefitted me? Not particularly, just don't have to wait around for racks and weights to free up or work in with others so I guess that's the benefit. If you enjoy it, stick with it.

There's also the added benefit of being able to make last second plans in the afternoon/evening if the wife/kids/gf/friends want to do something. It's easy to miss a workout when everyone else is awake.

EthanBrooks
08-13-16, 10:47 pm
I've always hated morning workouts, I'm just not awake and I don't feel like I have any strength till I've been awake for at least 4 hours. I respect anyone who is able to wake up and train right away, it just isn't for me.

Nmowery
08-14-16, 9:25 pm
I did it today and it yea, it sucks...

Appleton.Cory
08-15-16, 8:33 am
Here's the secret.

Get up. Take your pre workout. Sit on the toilet for a good 45 min. Then get to your workout.

JamesPaul
08-15-16, 10:41 am
What do you guys do about eating before training in the morning? Eat or drink anything before you workout? Wouldn't the lack of calories burn muscle?

Gullinborsti
08-15-16, 2:33 pm
I train sometimes in the early morning, but only an hour after breakfast, I have too much hunger as I could do something else
Also my joints need at least 1 hour time after getting up, otherwise, I have too much pain during exercises.

Nmowery
08-15-16, 4:13 pm
What do you guys do about eating before training in the morning? Eat or drink anything before you workout? Wouldn't the lack of calories burn muscle?

I think I said this in the preworkout diet thread before, but it's almost always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me. Puts something in my belly without feeling full. Also...with whole grain wheat bread and a cup of milk, it's good for about 20 grams protein along with both simple and complex carbs.

dvnny
08-15-16, 6:36 pm

Currently doing aminos and creatine. A sip or two during the drive to the gym then drink it throughout my session. I don't feel any lack of energy or hunger. Before the aminos/creatine I tried a banana before I left my house, also worked but I just can't seem to eat really early in the morning so I prefer the aminos/creatine combo.

IRN-NML
08-15-16, 8:09 pm
Single serve Greek yogurt; look for the ones with 12-15 gms protein. Sometimes they're marked down for clearance; eat 'em in a few days; they'll still be ok.

JamesPaul
08-16-16, 9:59 pm
Currently doing aminos and creatine. A sip or two during the drive to the gym then drink it throughout my session. I don't feel any lack of energy or hunger. Before the aminos/creatine I tried a banana before I left my house, also worked but I just can't seem to eat really early in the morning so I prefer the aminos/creatine combo.

I think I said this in the preworkout diet thread before, but it's almost always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me. Puts something in my belly without feeling full. Also...with whole grain wheat bread and a cup of milk, it's good for about 20 grams protein along with both simple and complex carbs.

Thanks! I like training before work, hels me have enegery for thos 14 hour post. I'll have to get some more aminos and peanut butter lol

Jay Nera
01-29-17, 9:03 pm
Am sessions can be great.

I find that as long as i am not lifting heavy and just chasing a pump i walk away feeling awesome and the rest of my day is great. If i try to train heavy its never as good as as if i trained later in the day with a few meals in me.