View Full Version : Q&A with Chris Tuttle

ChrisTuttle
08-28-16, 9:32 am
Hey everyone, quick background:

Starting competing in 2005 as a middle weight
Turned IFBB pro in 2013 at Nationals winning the light heavyweight class
Been with Universal since 2014
First pro show 212 NY Pro placed 5th
I am a Registered Dietitian and have my masters in Nutrition (4 years clinical nutrition experience in a hospital)
I run my own business at home with my Fiance Alexia (Nutrition based): nutrition and disease, show preps, weight loss, diabetes management, ect...)

Any questions I will be more than happy to answer. Thanks!

Superman55
08-29-16, 8:30 pm
How do you gel about Keifers Carb Backloading?

Nick527
08-30-16, 10:25 am
Hey Chris,

any plans on a next competition? and are you planning to move to the open division any time soon (if ever)?

thanks man

Rex
08-31-16, 10:39 am
Finally!
Good having you here. Finally someone who isnīt just throwing around bro science. Like me... Haha

ChrisTuttle
09-03-16, 2:39 pm
How do you gel about Keifers Carb Backloading?

I prepped someone once on back loading before and have used it in weight loss clients with good results. However, it is for sure not for everyone and is not superior for most. I tend to do what works for that individual. I do not hate or really push it unless it is the last resort.

Def do not think it is best for gaining in the off season.

ChrisTuttle
09-03-16, 2:40 pm
Hey Chris,

any plans on a next competition? and are you planning to move to the open division any time soon (if ever)?

thanks man

Not sure yet! I am getting married and very busy with clients competing but I will not be doing open! Just not feasible with my GI issues. I got up to 262 this off season but my UC got so bad from eating so much that I ended up having to back down my calories significantly to allow bowel rest. So 212 will be where I will stay.

ChrisTuttle
09-03-16, 2:41 pm
Finally!
Good having you here. Finally someone who isnīt just throwing around bro science. Like me... Haha

HHAHAHh! I think today too many overthink things and make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Rex
09-09-16, 10:35 am
I remember you talking about struggling with Collitis. Is that correct?

What are you doing to keep that in check?
Considering the amounts of food we have to eat, we all want as efficiently and optimally working intestines.

Any supplements or nutritional guidelines you have learned to work well?

Thank you, Chris.

ChrisTuttle
09-09-16, 3:55 pm
I remember you talking about struggling with Collitis. Is that correct?

What are you doing to keep that in check?
Considering the amounts of food we have to eat, we all want as efficiently and optimally working intestines.

Any supplements or nutritional guidelines you have learned to work well?

Thank you, Chris.

I have UC (ulcerative Colitis) lke colitis plus blood! AHAHH Fun time!

Actually I have had a lot of trouble eating large amounts of food this year and simply cannot anymore with UC. What I do is just eat until I feel that I am satisfied as in feeding my appetite and nothing more. Surprisingly so far so good. Been able to gain some weight and improve my phys. I just simply cannot force myself to eat. My GI will not tolerate it.

What new supp that I love is ZMA. I get such deeper sleep to the point that 9 out of ten days I feel refreshed in the am and never ever feel tired during the day anymore. Happens a lot when I am bigger (250+).

Rex
09-10-16, 6:17 pm
I have UC (ulcerative Colitis) lke colitis plus blood! AHAHH Fun time!

Actually I have had a lot of trouble eating large amounts of food this year and simply cannot anymore with UC. What I do is just eat until I feel that I am satisfied as in feeding my appetite and nothing more. Surprisingly so far so good. Been able to gain some weight and improve my phys. I just simply cannot force myself to eat. My GI will not tolerate it.

What new supp that I love is ZMA. I get such deeper sleep to the point that 9 out of ten days I feel refreshed in the am and never ever feel tired during the day anymore. Happens a lot when I am bigger (250+).

Damn it... that sounds awful...
What causes ulcerative Colitis?

Obviously, your solution is the common sense thing to do. You really donīt have any other option. Havenīt you?

What dosage do you recommend and/or are you taking? Iīve done Universalīs ZMA for some time now but I donīt get the same effect you seem be experiencing...

ChrisTuttle
09-10-16, 7:33 pm
damn it... That sounds awful...
What causes ulcerative colitis?

Obviously, your solution is the common sense thing to do. You really donīt have any other option. Havenīt you?

What dosage do you recommend and/or are you taking? Iīve done universalīs zma for some time now but i donīt get the same effect you seem be experiencing...

there is no known cause. It is more common in jewish ancestry and in people under high stress. They really do not know why. It is an inflammatory disease.

There really is not any other option and i refuse to take all these meds they want me to take. I rather control it with diet and live as much as a stress free life as i can.

I do just 3 tabs 45 mins before bed time and 1.5 hours after last meal.

TexasJim
09-26-16, 11:13 am
Sir,

I would highly recommend Chris' services. He is a true professional and great to work with. Okay, enough of the bromance.

What is your thoughts on Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin (HBCD) versus other high glycemic carb sources for intra workout?

ChrisTuttle
09-28-16, 4:22 pm
Sir,

I would highly recommend Chris' services. He is a true professional and great to work with. Okay, enough of the bromance.

What is your thoughts on Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin (HBCD) versus other high glycemic carb sources for intra workout?

Thanks bud!

Regarding types of carbs as you mentioned? Too keep it simple he have to find what works best for you. Personally I cannot tolerate HBCD. I crash in my workouts when using it for Intra and go hypo easy and it upsets my GI. I prefer matlodextrin. Something easy to digest but I bit slower. I have clean even energy and it does not dump into my small intestine too fast and cause issues. Again I do have ulcerative Colitis so it might be different for me. Dextrose I think is just a waste. Too much bloating in the belly to be taken intra workout. The body can only absorb and utilize about 1 carb per min so anything over 60g in a 60 min weight lifting workout for intra supplementation is silly.

I run 25-35g Carbo Plus intra and 60g post.

TexasJim
09-29-16, 12:58 pm
Thanks bud!

Regarding types of carbs as you mentioned? Too keep it simple he have to find what works best for you. Personally I cannot tolerate HBCD. I crash in my workouts when using it for Intra and go hypo easy and it upsets my GI. I prefer matlodextrin. Something easy to digest but I bit slower. I have clean even energy and it does not dump into my small intestine too fast and cause issues. Again I do have ulcerative Colitis so it might be different for me. Dextrose I think is just a waste. Too much bloating in the belly to be taken intra workout. The body can only absorb and utilize about 1 carb per min so anything over 60g in a 60 min weight lifting workout for intra supplementation is silly.

I run 25-35g Carbo Plus intra and 60g post.

Thank you for your reply. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Are there plans for a third season of the The Tuttle Diaries?

ChrisTuttle
10-03-16, 1:19 pm
Thank you for your reply. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Are there plans for a third season of the The Tuttle Diaries?

You are very welcome!

As far as I know there is!

TexasJim
10-05-16, 10:54 am
In your opinion, are human growth hormone booster supplements beneficial for a non-enhanced athlete?

ChrisTuttle
10-05-16, 7:23 pm
In your opinion, are human growth hormone booster supplements beneficial for a non-enhanced athlete?

Personally I do not think the work enough to see a difference. However, if you are older than 30 years old then I think it would be worth a shot since GH is quite a bit lower at that age than early 20s!

zanderkelley
11-05-16, 3:28 pm
Hey Chris,

I've read a bunch of your videos and always try to read whatever I can from you because I think you are a great no-nonsense source for nutrition info. I have a question for you. I have been training for several years and have experimented with different diets. For my last cutting period I used carb cycling with 4 low carbs days, 2 medium, and 1 high. I am now transitioning into bulking phase which will be assisted with AAS use. I have not used AAS before, this will be my first cycle. I have done very well with this style of diet. I have maintained a lot of my strength and workouts have been pretty good even though I'm the leanest I have ever been. I decided to add in about 45g of carbs on my training days for the past two weeks and those few carbs have brought me noticeably more strength and energy in the gym.

So...for my questions...
Should I gradually reintroduce more carbs into my diet while keeping fats steady?
OR Should I work my way in to a more classic 40/40/20 style diet?

I am really looking to get the most out of my first cycle. Some may suggest getting on a 'see-food' kind of diet to maximize gains but I have tried that in the past (without AAS mind you) and it hasn't done much for me. I respond very well to carbs when my carb sensitivity is high but that goes out the window if I am just shoveling down carbs all day every day.

npcdusty
11-08-16, 4:27 pm
Chris you planning on being at the Arnold this year for the Cage and ABC?

ChrisTuttle
11-16-16, 7:59 pm
Hey Chris,

I've read a bunch of your videos and always try to read whatever I can from you because I think you are a great no-nonsense source for nutrition info. I have a question for you. I have been training for several years and have experimented with different diets. For my last cutting period I used carb cycling with 4 low carbs days, 2 medium, and 1 high. I am now transitioning into bulking phase which will be assisted with AAS use. I have not used AAS before, this will be my first cycle. I have done very well with this style of diet. I have maintained a lot of my strength and workouts have been pretty good even though I'm the leanest I have ever been. I decided to add in about 45g of carbs on my training days for the past two weeks and those few carbs have brought me noticeably more strength and energy in the gym.

So...for my questions...
Should I gradually reintroduce more carbs into my diet while keeping fats steady?
OR Should I work my way in to a more classic 40/40/20 style diet?

I am really looking to get the most out of my first cycle. Some may suggest getting on a 'see-food' kind of diet to maximize gains but I have tried that in the past (without AAS mind you) and it hasn't done much for me. I respond very well to carbs when my carb sensitivity is high but that goes out the window if I am just shoveling down carbs all day every day.

Thanks bud for your support. I would for sure add only more carbs gradually. This is provided your fats are at least 10g per meal. This is just basing it off of what you said. Without knowing height, weight, pics, and exact current diet hard to say 100%. Hope that helps!

ChrisTuttle
11-16-16, 8:01 pm

That is only if they send me. I do have a couple of clients competing in the Arnold Am but we will see.

s4rgonnn
11-23-16, 3:42 am
Glad to see you here.

ChrisTuttle
11-23-16, 7:28 pm
Glad to see you here.

Thanks!

Tony Montgomery
12-20-16, 10:01 am
Awesome to see you on here with Q&A's Chris,

After a prep diet or a mini cut, what is your weight gain/reverse dieting approach following that? Do you go into a higher calorie push to reap the benefits of the nutrient sensitivty and ability to grow or do you slowly bring the calories back up and try to really focus on staying leaner? Pretty broad question and I know it depends person to person but just a little insight into your philosophy on this would be great.

ChrisTuttle
12-22-16, 9:16 pm
Awesome to see you on here with Q&A's Chris,

After a prep diet or a mini cut, what is your weight gain/reverse dieting approach following that? Do you go into a higher calorie push to reap the benefits of the nutrient sensitivity and ability to grow or do you slowly bring the calories back up and try to really focus on staying leaner? Pretty broad question and I know it depends person to person but just a little insight into your philosophy on this would be great.

First goal is to protect the appetite (keep insulin sensitivity super high) as in keep the body in that mentally hunger state. The appetite post show is generally a false appetite so feeding the messenger often leads to unwanted fat gain. Meaning appetite is far higher than what the body actually NEEDS. I first increase carbs by 50% from what that individual was following and monitor every 5 days on appearance and body weight increases. From there it is a straight progression. Adding only as needed and pulling back if appetite starts to dip but that does not usually happen until the 6-8 week mark. This is a very simplified version.

If weight is climbing 1-2 lbs in 7 days post show, pumps and strength are improving then I change nothing. If greater then I will back off. Keep in mind that some weight will come back on super fast post show in the first week but that is mostly glycogen stores refilling.

Rex
01-05-17, 12:35 pm
Piggybanking of the question you posed to G-Six:

If you had to put together an INTRA training drink from a gas stationīs product portfolio, what would it consist of?
It has to provide carbs and aminos and/or whole protein and it has to be at least semi liquid. Homogenity isnīt necessary.

ChrisTuttle
01-05-17, 2:23 pm
Piggybanking of the question you posed to G-Six:

If you had to put together an INTRA training drink from a gas stationīs product portfolio, what would it consist of?
It has to provide carbs and aminos and/or whole protein and it has to be at least semi liquid. Homogenity isnīt necessary.

I would say given what is at most gas stations that would impossible unless Im consuming a RTD protein drink during which I would never do. Intra is simple from a gas station in my mind. I would pick up a gatorade or powerade. Unless they had another product that contained some aminos/ bcaas that was watered down. Similr to those vita waters but with aminos!

If they had a RTD protein supplement that was sweet flavored and more of a consistency of "clear liquid" I would water it down with Gatorade/ Powerade with a similar flavor to get as close to a 4/1 ration of carbs to protein. That would be ideal. I have seen them at some gas stations but most carry the thick RTD chocolate which you would never want to consume during a workout.

ChrisTuttle
01-05-17, 2:28 pm
Below is an example of what I was doing 2 weeks out from 2 different shows roughly 6 months apart. My diet at the time was done by Chris Aceto. As you can see different carb amounts and cardio. Ny pro I came into better shape and fuller. Second time around I had to work harder to get into the same shape. This happens quite a bit when the body starts to respond differently. Basing changes off previous preps quite often back fires. The body is always changing. Changes should be made based on what is happening in the hear and now.

2 weeks out Europa

30 mins cardio post workout (moderate) and 20 min fast past cardio PM / 45 min fasting on on off days

Meal 1
2 scoops ISO Whey Vanilla + 5g Universal Creatine mono + 10g Universal Glutamine
1 whole egg
3 pc Gluten free bread (15g carb per slice)
1.5 tbs almond butter

(Meal 2) Post workout meal
10 oz COD
8 asparagus spears
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Intra-workout 1 scoop Atomic 7

Meal 3 + 4 + 5
12 oz Chicken or 99% lean ground chicken/ turkey
spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
8 oz 90% lean ground beef
large salad

2 weeks out New York pro (6 months Prior Europa )

30 mins cardio easy to moderate pace fasting 5x per week

Meal 1
2 scoops ISO Whey Vanilla + 5g Universal Creatine mono + 10g Universal Glutamine
1 whole egg
4 pc Gluten free bread (15g carb per slice)
1.5 tbs almond butter

2 scoops whey isolate
4 pc Gluten free bread (60g carbs)
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Meal 3 + 4
8 oz Chicken or 99% lean ground chicken/ turkey
1 cups rice
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 5
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad

Rex
01-06-17, 10:43 am
I would say given what is at most gas stations that would impossible unless Im consuming a RTD protein drink during which I would never do. Intra is simple from a gas station in my mind. I would pick up a gatorade or powerade. Unless they had another product that contained some aminos/ bcaas that was watered down. Similr to those vita waters but with aminos!

If they had a RTD protein supplement that was sweet flavored and more of a consistency of "clear liquid" I would water it down with Gatorade/ Powerade with a similar flavor to get as close to a 4/1 ration of carbs to protein. That would be ideal. I have seen them at some gas stations but most carry the thick RTD chocolate which you would never want to consume during a workout.

Thanks for your response.

Do you consider a 4:1 ratio from carbs to protein optimal for everybody (offseason scenario)?

ChrisTuttle
01-06-17, 1:43 pm
Thanks for your response.

Do you consider a 4:1 ratio from carbs to protein optimal for everybody (offseason scenario)?

It is the ratio for the fastest gastric emptying. Anything greater than that during exercise can slow gastric emptying and can become problematic during extreme exertion for some.

Rex
01-07-17, 10:45 am
Below is an example of what I was doing 2 weeks out from 2 different shows roughly 6 months apart. My diet at the time was done by Chris Aceto. As you can see different carb amounts and cardio. Ny pro I came into better shape and fuller. Second time around I had to work harder to get into the same shape. This happens quite a bit when the body starts to respond differently. Basing changes off previous preps quite often back fires. The body is always changing. Changes should be made based on what is happening in the hear and now.

2 weeks out Europa

30 mins cardio post workout (moderate) and 20 min fast past cardio PM / 45 min fasting on on off days

Meal 1
1 whole egg
1.5 tbs almond butter

10 oz COD
8 asparagus spears
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Meal 3 + 4 + 5
spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad

Meal 1
1 whole egg
1.5 tbs almond butter

2 scoops whey isolate
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Meal 3 + 4
1 cups rice
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 5
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad

Thatīs great insight. Thanks for sharing this, Chris.
Youīre absolutely right. Preparing for a show has nothing to do with weather forecasting...

Rex
01-07-17, 10:46 am
It is the ratio for the fastest gastric emptying. Anything greater than that during exercise can slow gastric emptying and can become problematic during extreme exertion for some.

Interesting. I didnīt know that. Thanks.

ChrisTuttle
01-07-17, 3:57 pm
Interesting. I didnīt know that. Thanks.

I learned that stuff in my master's program

ChrisTuttle
01-07-17, 5:11 pm
Thatīs great insight. Thanks for sharing this, Chris.
Youīre absolutely right. Preparing for a show has nothing to do with weather forecasting...

Yet so many people fall victim to that. it is nuts!

Fe-MD
01-14-17, 6:20 pm

2 weeks out Europa

Meal 1
1 whole egg
1.5 tbs almond butter

10 oz COD
8 asparagus spears
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Meal 3 + 4 + 5
spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad

Meal 1
1 whole egg
1.5 tbs almond butter

2 scoops whey isolate
3 UNITVITE
Universal Fish oil 3x

Meal 3 + 4
1 cups rice
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 5
Spinach and tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad

In a lot of your videos you don't seem opposed to gluten at all. Are you only eating gluten free during contest prep, and in the offseason you eat it much more liberally? Would you actually mind posting up what your offseason diet looks like right now?

As far as the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein goes, does that include drinks that are only amino acids? SO for example, you would want 10 grams of aminos for 40 grams carbs, or is that only whole proteins?

ChrisTuttle
01-14-17, 7:01 pm
In a lot of your videos you don't seem opposed to gluten at all. Are you only eating gluten free during contest prep, and in the offseason you eat it much more liberally? Would you actually mind posting up what your offseason diet looks like right now?

As far as the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein goes, does that include drinks that are only amino acids? SO for example, you would want 10 grams of aminos for 40 grams carbs, or is that only whole proteins?

In my opinion i think people overreact to this gluten thing. Just a kick like people cannot eat fruit during prep which is also silly. I mean if you have issues with it sure but if you do not then why cut it out?

The 4:1 ration is from studies with endurance athletes for during and post supplementation that yielded the fastest rate of gastric emptying.

ChrisTuttle
01-14-17, 7:08 pm

Off SEASON DIET:

MEAL 1 (2 UNIVITE)
3 cups wilted spinach
2 cups egg whites
4 Vans Gluten Free waffles (not because of gluten because I like he way they taste)
2 tbs REAL maple syrup
1 banana
6 oz orange juice heavy pulp
2 tbs peanut butter

INTRA WORKOUT
1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus
5g creatine
10g glutamine

Meal 2 Post workout
3 scoops Universal Vanilla ISO Whey
2 low fat blueberry muffins

Meal 3,4,5
8 oz Chicken
1 cup white jasmine rice
1 cup wilted spinach or asparagus
1 cup sliced pineapple
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
10 oz 90% lean ground beef or sirloin or salmon
large salad
baked potato

Fe-MD
01-14-17, 7:34 pm
Off SEASON DIET:

MEAL 1 (2 UNIVITE)
3 cups wilted spinach
2 cups egg whites
4 Vans Gluten Free waffles (not because of gluten because I like he way they taste)
2 tbs REAL maple syrup
1 banana
2 tbs peanut butter

INTRA WORKOUT
1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus
5g creatine
10g glutamine

Meal 2 Post workout

Meal 3,4,5
8 oz Chicken
1 cup white jasmine rice
1 cup sliced pineapple
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad
baked potato

awesome! Thanks chris, lightning fast responses.

How much waer is mixed in your intra drink. I know osmolarity/osmolality is important for gastric emptying as well.

ChrisTuttle
01-16-17, 1:17 pm
awesome! Thanks chris, lightning fast responses.

How much waer is mixed in your intra drink. I know osmolarity/osmolality is important for gastric emptying as well.

I check this everyday unless I am traveling for my life is 90% in of front of a computer! HAHA!

About a liter of water

SMuncey
01-17-17, 10:26 am
Chris, typically I will do fasted cardio in the morning at a 12.5 incline on the treadmill at 3.2 mph, would you consider that high intensity cardio or low intensity? Any advice on preventing shin splints?

ChrisTuttle
01-17-17, 8:28 pm
Chris, typically I will do fasted cardio in the morning at a 12.5 incline on the treadmill at 3.2 mph, would you consider that high intensity cardio or low intensity? Any advice on preventing shin splints?

If you are completely sedentary (some one really out of shape) then I would consider that high intense cardio. Now for someone who is an athlete probably more on the moderate side (75%). High intense is like a run. Kind of what how we felt running the mile in high school. Horrible HAHHA

Shin Splints
Strengthen anterior tibialis (look up some exercises for it too hard to explain)
Stretch Gastrocnemius (calve larger part by keeping leg locked during stretch)
Foam roll or deep tissue massage the anterior tibialis

Fe-MD
01-19-17, 8:42 am
If you are completely sedentary (some one really out of shape) then I would consider that high intense cardio. Now for someone who is an athlete probably more on the moderate side (75%). High intense is like a run. Kind of what how we felt running the mile in high school. Horrible HAHHA

Shin Splints
Strengthen anterior tibialis (look up some exercises for it too hard to explain)
Stretch Gastrocnemius (calve larger part by keeping leg locked during stretch)
Foam roll or deep tissue massage the anterior tibialis

Hey Chris,

I have seen your videos whee you talk about working with clients, lifters or not, with digestive difficulties. I definitely has some degree of IBS. What do you think are the biggest things one can do to improve digestive health.

1. Do you have any experience with utilizing the FODMAPS diet? I know onions and garlic are big offenders for me, and a good chunk of high fodmap foods I try to avoid.
2. Are there any supplements people can utilize to improve digestive strength, tolerance of various foods, etc. Does glutamine have this potential? Every time I try to use glutamine, even only a few grams, it constipates me/dries out my stools. I know it increases micro villi length and allows them to absorb more nutrients and fluids, but it shouldn't effect me that strongly should it?
3. DO you believe, or have you seen clients gain the ability to tolerate foods they couldn't in the past when they improve their digestive function with supplementation, lowering stress, optimizing sleep, and perhaps following dietary avoidance protocols for short periods?
4. Do you ever recommend people utilize short term elimination diets temporarily to allow them to get rid of big offenders, and if so how can one go about doing so?

ChrisTuttle
01-19-17, 9:47 am
Hey Chris,

I have seen your videos whee you talk about working with clients, lifters or not, with digestive difficulties. I definitely has some degree of IBS. What do you think are the biggest things one can do to improve digestive health.

1. Do you have any experience with utilizing the FODMAPS diet? I know onions and garlic are big offenders for me, and a good chunk of high fodmap foods I try to avoid.
2. Are there any supplements people can utilize to improve digestive strength, tolerance of various foods, etc. Does glutamine have this potential? Every time I try to use glutamine, even only a few grams, it constipates me/dries out my stools. I know it increases micro villi length and allows them to absorb more nutrients and fluids, but it shouldn't effect me that strongly should it?
3. DO you believe, or have you seen clients gain the ability to tolerate foods they couldn't in the past when they improve their digestive function with supplementation, lowering stress, optimizing sleep, and perhaps following dietary avoidance protocols for short periods?
4. Do you ever recommend people utilize short term elimination diets temporarily to allow them to get rid of big offenders, and if so how can one go about doing so?

1. Yes I do have quite a bit of experience with FODMAPS but would only recommend it to someone with severse IBS of course
2. A really good probootic but you have to find out why you are having digestive issues and remove them from the diet. In some cases just bowel rest and help (reducing calories for a week or two)
3. Yes for sure including myself/ Once the inflammation has gone down in the GI tract more foods are often tolerated. Very common actually. It is not like we can go back to eating whatever in any amount but within reason
4. Yes!!!!!!!!!! Elimination diets is what I use mostly but I do a reverse. I start with bare bones diet and then add one food back at a time. Clearly starting with NO foods that are known to cause gas or allergic reactions

Fe-MD
01-19-17, 6:04 pm
1. Yes I do have quite a bit of experience with FODMAPS but would only recommend it to someone with severse IBS of course
2. A really good probootic but you have to find out why you are having digestive issues and remove them from the diet. In some cases just bowel rest and help (reducing calories for a week or two)
3. Yes for sure including myself/ Once the inflammation has gone down in the GI tract more foods are often tolerated. Very common actually. It is not like we can go back to eating whatever in any amount but within reason
4. Yes!!!!!!!!!! Elimination diets is what I use mostly but I do a reverse. I start with bare bones diet and then add one food back at a time. Clearly starting with NO foods that are known to cause gas or allergic reactions

Thanks chris.

Would you mind listing out some foods one would start out with as their baseline. I'm guessing it would be just for a week or 2/3 to let the bowels rest, then you would want to start adding in foods one at a time so as not to allow any nutritional deficiencies to develop from an unvaried diet (a good multi can help here I guess, but nothing trumps food variety. Also fiah oil and something like curcumin for anti inflammatory purposes would probably be beneficial).

ChrisTuttle
01-19-17, 9:35 pm
Thanks chris.

Would you mind listing out some foods one would start out with as their baseline. I'm guessing it would be just for a week or 2/3 to let the bowels rest, then you would want to start adding in foods one at a time so as not to allow any nutritional deficiencies to develop from an unvaried diet (a good multi can help here I guess, but nothing trumps food variety. Also fiah oil and something like curcumin for anti inflammatory purposes would probably be beneficial).

If the person was really bad I would leave out eggs and nut butters and start really bare bone! Even only salt and fresh herbs. NO onion or garlic or ANYTHING spicy

Meats:
Chicken, White fish, whole eggs, egg whites

Carbs
White rice, white potato, cream of rice, pineapple, banana

Fats
oils, smooth nut butters

Veges
1/2 cup servings 4x per day TOPS
Spinach
Romaine
Zucchini
Carrots

I would meet the individuals caloric needs with these foods and the start adding variety one at a time in 72 hour intervals.

Fe-MD
01-20-17, 6:31 am
If the person was really bad I would leave out eggs and nut butters and start really bare bone! Even only salt and fresh herbs. NO onion or garlic or ANYTHING spicy

Meats:
Chicken, White fish, whole eggs, egg whites

Carbs
White rice, white potato, cream of rice, pineapple, banana

Fats
oils, smooth nut butters

Veges
1/2 cup servings 4x per day TOPS
Spinach
Romaine
Zucchini
Carrots

I would meet the individuals caloric needs with these foods and the start adding variety one at a time in 72 hour intervals.

Thanks a ton chris. Have you ever looked into using the various super absorbable forms of curcumin such as "super bio curcumin" or "meriva"? I Know there are many studies showing their benefits for ulcerative colitis (and crohns). I have used both and they definitely help my GI sstem out a ton, and my uncke who has UC says they have allowed him to be much more wiggle room in his diet, and kept him flare free for years.

Fe-MD
01-20-17, 7:22 am
Thanks chris.

I missed the probiotic comment. I had my colon removed back in 2010 and now have an ileostomy. For a year or two I did great with probiotics, fermented foods, greek yogurt, but slowly over time they have really started to bother me, and I can't really do any fermented dairy, or dairy with casein in it (whey and dairy fats are fine, just not casein). John meadows who also had his colon removed said pretty much the same thing has happened to him (minus the casein problems). On other online sites for ostomates quite a bit have had the same problems as me and john, but many have not and handle probiotics fine, so I wonder what is wrong in our cases. I wish I could eat those foods again because I loved saurkraut, greek yogurt, kim chi, etc. Oh well., maybe one day. Any ideas?

(My colon was removed due to colonic inertia. I had something along the lines of 15% the normal number and density of interstitial cells of cajal in my large intestine, so my peristalsis was virtually nothing. My great grandfather on my moms side had something similar. I also definitely have some degree of visceral hypersensitivity in my GI system, so I just feel things more intensely than others do. Im working on this by just trying to learn to de stress, meditation, etc. I am a very interesting case you would probably get a kick working with clinically if you were still doing that (or I could be a nightmare, lol!)

ChrisTuttle
01-20-17, 6:54 pm
Thanks a ton chris. Have you ever looked into using the various super absorbable forms of curcumin such as "super bio curcumin" or "meriva"? I Know there are many studies showing their benefits for ulcerative colitis (and crohns). I have used both and they definitely help my GI sstem out a ton, and my uncke who has UC says they have allowed him to be much more wiggle room in his diet, and kept him flare free for years.

Yes I was using a Curcumin supps but did not notice much of a difference. More food causes was my issue and of course stress.

ChrisTuttle
01-20-17, 7:35 pm
I missed the probiotic comment. I had my colon removed back in 2010 and now have an ileostomy. For a year or two I did great with probiotics, fermented foods, greek yogurt, but slowly over time they have really started to bother me, and I can't really do any fermented dairy, or dairy with casein in it (whey and dairy fats are fine, just not casein). John meadows who also had his colon removed said pretty much the same thing has happened to him (minus the casein problems). On other online sites for ostomates quite a bit have had the same problems as me and john, but many have not and handle probiotics fine, so I wonder what is wrong in our cases. I wish I could eat those foods again because I loved saurkraut, greek yogurt, kim chi, etc. Oh well., maybe one day. Any ideas?

(My colon was removed due to colonic inertia. I had something along the lines of 15% the normal number and density of interstitial cells of cajal in my large intestine, so my peristalsis was virtually nothing. My great grandfather on my moms side had something similar. I also definitely have some degree of visceral hypersensitivity in my GI system, so I just feel things more intensely than others do. Im working on this by just trying to learn to de stress, meditation, etc. I am a very interesting case you would probably get a kick working with clinically if you were still doing that (or I could be a nightmare, lol!)

I wish I had an answer for you bud. That is out of my expertise. I assume you have to find an Top Dietitian or Gastro that specializes in just that. I know there is an answer for you some where out there.

nicklepore
01-24-17, 11:07 am
oh hey pal!

J.Halladay
01-24-17, 11:31 am
All i see here is real maple syrup

Off SEASON DIET:

MEAL 1 (2 UNIVITE)
3 cups wilted spinach
2 cups egg whites
2 tbs REAL maple syrup
1 banana
2 tbs peanut butter

INTRA WORKOUT
1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus
5g creatine
10g glutamine

Meal 2 Post workout

Meal 3,4,5
8 oz Chicken
1 cup white jasmine rice
1 cup sliced pineapple
1 tsp olive oil

Meal 6
large salad
baked potato

ChrisTuttle
01-24-17, 5:17 pm
oh hey pal!

My man! Whats up> How is off season treating you?

ChrisTuttle
01-24-17, 5:17 pm
All i see here is real maple syrup

BHAHAHHAHAAHAH I do not do fake shit! Like if I am going to eat ice cream, I am eating the real thing!

Fe-MD
01-24-17, 7:34 pm
What is your opinion on beef protein powders. I digest them a lot better than any dairy, even whey hydrosylates. So far I have followed the elimination diet you laid out, with the exception of dropping out whey for beef isolate. My digestion has improved tremendously. Sadly, looking at the amino acid profile of beef iso, it is pretty low in bcaas mainly, and very high in glycine. It makes up about half my protein intake mainly due to weak digestion (protein powders and shakes in general make up 50% of my protein at any given time). Should I maybe add some bcaas or eaas to shakes with it? Have you ever used beef protein powders? I'm loving how my digestion improved a lot, but am wondering if I am compromising muscle protein synthesis now with the beef iso.

Also, so far yams seem to be erfectly fine, rice milk, and processed rice products like cereals, etc. Oh yeah nature valley granola bars as well. Will be adding in various berries next!

ChrisTuttle
01-25-17, 7:34 pm
What is your opinion on beef protein powders. I digest them a lot better than any dairy, even whey hydrosylates. So far I have followed the elimination diet you laid out, with the exception of dropping out whey for beef isolate. My digestion has improved tremendously. Sadly, looking at the amino acid profile of beef iso, it is pretty low in bcaas mainly, and very high in glycine. It makes up about half my protein intake mainly due to weak digestion (protein powders and shakes in general make up 50% of my protein at any given time). Should I maybe add some bcaas or eaas to shakes with it? Have you ever used beef protein powders? I'm loving how my digestion improved a lot, but am wondering if I am compromising muscle protein synthesis now with the beef iso.

Also, so far yams seem to be erfectly fine, rice milk, and processed rice products like cereals, etc. Oh yeah nature valley granola bars as well. Will be adding in various berries next!

I actually would not worry considering you are probably eating more protein than you need and are not in a caloric deficit putting the proteins on the chopping block to be used as energy. I really would not worry. Is it a good idea to supplement with BCAAS? Sure but I would choose the BCAAs over the Amino. If you were able to consume whey isolate and replaced the whey with beef protein you would never even notice a difference in your strength, muslce gains, or body composition. The differences are too insignificant. Maybe in a blood test. If that was the only thing you changed of course about your diet.

I have never tried beef protein but have many clients who do take it because they are allergic to whey. Yes that is a thing. HAHA

Interesting! See If I ate a granola bar I would be shitting blood for days! Differences from person to person.

Fe-MD
01-26-17, 11:02 am
I actually would not worry considering you are probably eating more protein than you need and are not in a caloric deficit putting the proteins on the chopping block to be used as energy. I really would not worry. Is it a good idea to supplement with BCAAS? Sure but I would choose the BCAAs over the Amino. If you were able to consume whey isolate and replaced the whey with beef protein you would never even notice a difference in your strength, muslce gains, or body composition. The differences are too insignificant. Maybe in a blood test. If that was the only thing you changed of course about your diet.

I have never tried beef protein but have many clients who do take it because they are allergic to whey. Yes that is a thing. HAHA

Interesting! See If I ate a granola bar I would be shitting blood for days! Differences from person to person.

Yeah, UC is a bitch, sorry man :/

Look into super bio curcumin or meriva by throne. Both have been clinically shown to help UC and crohns a good deal!

Fe-MD
01-26-17, 4:05 pm
When would you start introding condiments like basic mustard and zero carb ketchup? After building up the food selection a certain degree?

ChrisTuttle
01-26-17, 7:32 pm

I am not sure yet. Depends on work and business!

ChrisTuttle
01-26-17, 7:34 pm
Yeah, UC is a bitch, sorry man :/

Look into super bio curcumin or meriva by throne. Both have been clinically shown to help UC and crohns a good deal!

I used them both or did when my flare ups happened. It did not help much for when those flareups occur they are like unstoppable! HAHA

ChrisTuttle
01-26-17, 7:35 pm
When would you start introding condiments like basic mustard and zero carb ketchup? After building up the food selection a certain degree?

Oh I would have never cut them for the amount I use is so little and mustard is tolerated very well.

Fe-MD
01-29-17, 7:17 am
DO you recommend incorporating glutamine into a elimination diet to help the gut heal and repair? If so, how and when would you dose it (I have heard different info about taking it with or without food).

ChrisTuttle
01-30-17, 2:04 pm
DO you recommend incorporating glutamine into a elimination diet to help the gut heal and repair? If so, how and when would you dose it (I have heard different info about taking it with or without food).

I actually would not. Bare bones is best and work things in one by one. If you drop things out and start something new at the same time you end up not knowing what helped or did not, even if the food or supplement is know to help.

DaveAB
01-30-17, 2:14 pm
Hi Chris...keto/low carb diet related question for you.

Say you are on a keto-like, very low carb, high fat diet with the goal of leaning out. If you hit the stage where you no longer are losing (the scale reads the same weight for two or more weeks). What would you suggest cutting down on? Fats? Protein? Overall calories?

I know increasing cardio is always an option. But for this case, lets ignore the cardio piece.

Thanks!

ChrisTuttle
01-30-17, 7:06 pm
Hi Chris...keto/low carb diet related question for you.

Say you are on a keto-like, very low carb, high fat diet with the goal of leaning out. If you hit the stage where you no longer are losing (the scale reads the same weight for two or more weeks). What would you suggest cutting down on? Fats? Protein? Overall calories?

I know increasing cardio is always an option. But for this case, lets ignore the cardio piece.

Thanks!

I would look at the following:
How much fat you are in taking total per day
How much weight loss have you total thus far (yes this matters)
Last time you had a refeed or higher carb days and how much
How many off days of training you have

J.Halladay
01-31-17, 9:02 am
BHAHAHHAHAAHAH I do not do fake shit! Like if I am going to eat ice cream, I am eating the real thing!

thats why we get along

J.Halladay
01-31-17, 2:38 pm
How is the knee coming along?

DaveAB
01-31-17, 3:08 pm
I would look at the following:
How much fat you are in taking total per day
How much weight loss have you total thus far (yes this matters)
Last time you had a refeed or higher carb days and how much
How many off days of training you have

More moving parts than I would have originally thought. Seems highly individualized. I have a better idea now though. Thanks!

ChrisTuttle
01-31-17, 6:58 pm
More moving parts than I would have originally thought. Seems highly individualized. I have a better idea now though. Thanks!

You always have to consider all of those.
If you have lost a ton of weight and have been dieting for a long time then you might need a diet break or short refeed (2-5 days) (bring down the sympathetic nervous system)
If not then try cutting fats if they are over 80g per day
If no refeeds or high carb days past 14-21 days then I would t lower fat and bring in a higher carb day 1 once per week about double what you do on the low days.

Fe-MD
02-02-17, 7:18 pm
IM guessing part of the elimination diet would include dropping out all peri workout supplements like aminos, carb powders, creatine, citrulline, agmatine, etc. that one uses, correct?

And are liquid egg whites, especially when drank without cooking (the pasteurized kind) pretty common offenders for bloating, gas, etc? I seem like I do fine with whole eggs, but liquid or cooked egg whites are a no go (liquid being worse).

ChrisTuttle
02-03-17, 8:33 pm
IM guessing part of the elimination diet would include dropping out all peri workout supplements like aminos, carb powders, creatine, citrulline, agmatine, etc. that one uses, correct?

And are liquid egg whites, especially when drank without cooking (the pasteurized kind) pretty common offenders for bloating, gas, etc? I seem like I do fine with whole eggs, but liquid or cooked egg whites are a no go (liquid being worse).

I would actually keep the supps for those are not KNOWN culprits. Some carb powders can cause dumping syndrome like waxy maize and cyclic dextrins which can give you diarrhea. Dextrose can cause stomach bloating in some. The rest should not be a problem!

Yes liquid egg whites do cause issues quite a bit actually. I would say 20% of my clients have had some issue with raw whites at one time or another. Does not mean you should kick it right away if you know you are tolerating it.

Fe-MD
02-04-17, 6:38 am
I would actually keep the supps for those are not KNOWN culprits. Some carb powders can cause dumping syndrome like waxy maize and cyclic dextrins which can give you diarrhea. Dextrose can cause stomach bloating in some. The rest should not be a problem!

Yes liquid egg whites do cause issues quite a bit actually. I would say 20% of my clients have had some issue with raw whites at one time or another. Does not mean you should kick it right away if you know you are tolerating it.

I wasn't. TOok them out and started feeling much better. Also took out bcaas and Im even feeling better yet again.

ChrisTuttle
02-06-17, 2:06 pm
I wasn't. TOok them out and started feeling much better. Also took out bcaas and Im even feeling better yet again.

You were not what?
You felt better once you dropped the eggs or the supps?
You could be sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

rynoisbeast
02-06-17, 2:30 pm
Suggestions for a program to follow for a few months? Main goal is to get defined and pack on some muscle.

ChrisTuttle
02-06-17, 8:38 pm
Suggestions for a program to follow for a few months? Main goal is to get defined and pack on some muscle.

I really do not know how to answer that. Regarding training or nutrition? Also you have given me two goals. Defined and pack on muslce which are two different things. It has to be on or the other. As well as the timeline is very small. You can get defined in a few months but not pack muslce. A good off season plan for focusing on gaining muscle should be at least 6-9 months. Where the whole goal is geared towards lean mass.

When you say program you mean existing programs?

rynoisbeast
02-06-17, 9:25 pm
I really do not know how to answer that. Regarding training or nutrition? Also you have given me two goals. Defined and pack on muslce which are two different things. It has to be on or the other. As well as the timeline is very small. You can get defined in a few months but not pack muslce. A good off season plan for focusing on gaining muscle should be at least 6-9 months. Where the whole goal is geared towards lean mass.

When you say program you mean existing programs?

An existing training routine for gaining muscle but also getting rid of fat. I'm currently dieting, just need help with training.

ChrisTuttle
02-07-17, 9:06 pm
An existing training routine for gaining muscle but also getting rid of fat. I'm currently dieting, just need help with training.

Hypertrophy- increase in size of skeletal muscle

Remember, when you’re not in the gym you are growing. When you are in the gym, you are tearing muscle down. Adequate rest = muscle mass! Learn how to push yourself to the max with the exercises you have. REMEMBER CONTROLLED MOVEMENTS. FOCUS ON THE MUSCLE THAT IS BEING WORKED. JUST DON’T HAUS WEIGHT AROUND. You are a bodybuilder not a weight lifter. Your goal is to bring the muscle to absolute muscular failure in the 8-15 reps range depending on what body part. The goal should never be, “I am going to squat 315 for ten reps today.” You don’t want to be concerned with getting a goal number of reps, but rather focusing on each rep until muscular failure. If you fail before 8 reps you need to go lighter. If you fail after 12 reps you need to go heavier.

Last 1-2 sets to ABSOLUTE FAILURE

Workout Plan 2015

• Back tip: Pull with your elbows while retracting shoulder blades together with every contraction. Back takes focus on every movement. If your back is not sore after 48-72 hours, then your technique is off.

• This is a 4 week rotation. You follow weeks 1-2 for 2 weeks, weeks 3-4 for two weeks then, repeat. Feel free to mimic like exercises. Example: Standing cable pull overs = pull over machine = DB pull overs. THIS IS ENCOURAGED!!!! YOU MUST LEARN YOUR BODY. FIND THE EXERCISES THAT YOU FEEL BEST WITH. NOT WHICH ONES YOU LIFT MORE BUT FEEL THE MUSLCE BEING STIMULATED

Back Week 1-2
Standing Cable pull overs or Machine pull overs 3 sets 15-20 reps
Pull ups or assisted pull ups 3-4 sets 6-10 reps Note: Grip slightly wider than shoulder width
T-bar rows or Barbell rows 3-4 sets 8-15 reps
Seated cable row 3-4 sets 10-15 reps Note: close grip or under hand E-Z bar/ find what has a better feel for YOU!
Deadlifts 4 sets 10-12 reps Note: Very strict technique, no bouncing or yanking on the bar

Back Week 3-4
Cable Lat pull down or Lat pull down machine 4-5 sets 8-15 reps Note: Grip slightly wider than shoulder width
Shoulder width grip cable row (palms down) 4 sets 8-15 reps
Dumbbell rows or single arm cable row neutral grip 4 sets 8-15 reps
Reverse grip pull down slightly wider than shoulder width 4 sets 8-12 reps
Back extensions 3-4 sets 15-20 reps

Chest + Abs + calves Week 1-2
Pec Dec chest flye 3 sets 10-15 reps Note: slowly contract and squeeze the chest with every contraction, really focus
Incline DB press or Incline DB or Smith machine press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Hammer strength Flat press or Bench press or Flat Dumbbell press 4 sets 8-12 reps
Dips or decline press 2-3 sets 10-15 reps
Rope crunches 4 sets 15-30 reps to absolute failure
Stability ball plank super set with MB twists 2-3 sets NOTE: Until muscular failure = you cannot do another one
Standing calve raises 3-4 sets 15-20 reps
Seated calve raises 3-4 sets 10-25 reps

Chest + Abs + calves Week 3-4
Standing cable flye 3-4 sets 10-15 reps Note: slowly contract and squeeze the chest with every contraction, really focus Incline DB press or Incline DB or Smith machine press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Hammer strength Flat press or Bench press or Flat Dumbbell press 4 sets 8-12 reps
Dips or decline press 2-3 sets 10-15 reps
Hanging leg raises 3 sets all reps to failure
Rope crunches 3 sets 15-30 reps
Standing calve raises 3-4 sets 15-20 reps
Seated calve raises 3-4 sets 10-25 reps

DAY OFF

Shoulders /Hamstrings 1-2 Note: Alternate sequence of exercises every two weeks
DB shoulder press or any machine shoulder press (weight stack or plate loaded) 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
DB lateral raises or cable lateral raises (standing or sitting) 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
Bent over rear delt flye or reverse cable flye 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
Lying leg curl or seated leg curl 3-4 sets 10-15reps
Seated leg curl or lying leg curl or standing leg curls 3-4 sets 10-15 reps Note: do the opposite of what you did first
Stiff legged Deadlifts 3-4 sets 10-20 reps Note: This is not about weight, it is about fatiguing those hamstrings

Shoulders / Hamstrings Week 3-4
Lying leg curl or seated leg curl 3-4 sets 10-20reps
Seated leg curl or lying leg curl or standing leg curls 3-4 sets 10-20 reps
Deadlifts 3-4 sets 10-15 reps Note: This is not about weight, it is about fatiguing those hamstrings
DB lateral raises or cable lateral raises (standing or sitting) 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
DB shoulder press or any machine shoulder press (weight stack or plate loaded) 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Bent over rear delt flye or reverse cable flye 3-4 sets 10-15 reps

Arms Week 1-2 Note: focus on the contraction and use controlled movements
Rope press down 3 sets 12-20 reps
Overhead tricep extension with EZ bar, DB, or any cable attachment 4 sets 8-15 reps
Tricep press down any attachment of your choice 3 sets 8-12 reps
Preacher curl EZ bar, DB, or straight bar 3 sets 8-12 reps
Hammer curl DB or Cable with Rope 3 sets 8-12 reps
Standing Alternate DB curl 3 sets 8-12 reps

Arms Week 3-4 Note: focus on the contraction and use controlled movements
Single arm cable press down 4 sets 8-15 reps
Overhead tricep extension with EZ bar or DB or cable 4 sets 8-15 reps
Lying tricep extension of any type 4 sets 8-12 reps
Hammer curl DB or Cable with Rope 3 sets 8-12 reps
BB curl or EZ- bar curl 2 sets 8-12 reps
Preacher curl EZ bar, DB, or straight bar 3 sets 8-12 reps

DAY OFF

Legs (switch the order of front and back squats every other week)
Leg ext 3 sets 20-25 Example set: fail at 15, wait 5 sec, squeeze out 5, wait 5 sec, squeeze out another 5)
Single leg press or Hack squat 3-4 sets 10-15 reps
DB or barbell walking Lunges 3 sets Note: no more than 15-30 steps, IF YOU CAN DO MORE THEN USE HEAVIER WEIGHT
Back squats free or smith machine 3 sets 10-15 reps Note: feet slightly wider than shoulder stance with toes pointed slightly out
*NOTE: squats focus all on technique and bringing the legs to failure. Do not worry about weight.*

Alt leg workout
Leg ext 3 sets 20-25 Example set: fail at 15, wait 5 sec, squeeze out 5, wait 5 sec, squeeze out another 5)
Leg press 3-4 sets 15-20 reps
Hack squats 3-4 sets 15-20 reps
DB or barbell walking Lunges 3 sets Note: no more than 15-30 steps, IF YOU CAN DO MORE THEN USE HEAVIER WEIGHT

Alt leg workout NOTE: unsafe to do without a TRUSTED SPOTTER
Back squat 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Superset with
Lunges 3 sets 15-30 steps to failure
Leg press 3 sets 8-15 reps

Alt leg workout (Giant sets) NOTE: You will need good spot this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leg ext 15-20 reps to Walking lunges (no more than 15-30 steps) to Leg press 10-15 reps (3 revolutions)
Back squat 3-4 sets 8-10 reps

Fe-MD
02-12-17, 8:33 am
Hey chris, how much water do you typically dilute your workout shake stuff in, and how much fluid would you say you drink daily?

ChrisTuttle
02-12-17, 3:26 pm
Hey chris, how much water do you typically dilute your workout shake stuff in, and how much fluid would you say you drink daily?

My intra workout I use about 750ml
Total per day about 1 gallons or slightly more
Must keep in mind my job is SUPER sedentary so I am not perspiring not much at all.

Fe-MD
02-19-17, 11:46 am
Do you pretty much stick to only isolates, or have you ever used the animal muscle food whey (the one with all the fancy flavors like red velvet, etc)?

ChrisTuttle
02-19-17, 2:02 pm
Do you pretty much stick to only isolates, or have you ever used the animal muscle food whey (the one with all the fancy flavors like red velvet, etc)?

I stick with isolates 90% of the time! I do use Animal muscle food here and there but the Vanilla Iso Whey digests like Water! I love it!

ChrisTuttle
02-20-17, 6:53 pm
Taking a break from the excessive carbs and tapering down volume in the gym for 8 weeks.

Reasons:
1. Decrease inflammation (less volume / less carbs / more healthy fats)
2. Lose some weight (fat) 10-15 lbs
3. Heal some chronic injuries (hoping) Help knee heal quicker being lighter
4. Improve digestion (recovery from some UC flare ups)
5. Not have taken a break from training and diet in 10 years.

Weight Training: 3 Days per week / No super sets or drop sets / Straight sets to failure in the 8-12 rep range
Split: Chest/ Shoulders, Back/ Hams, Legs, abs
Cardio: 30 mins steady state cardio moderate pace 6x per week
Diet: Below
Fluid: Coffee, Water, Bcaas ONLY

Meal 1
1.5 cups egg whites
2 whole Pasture raised eggs
2 pc Ezekiel Bread
3/4th cup mixed berries
100g avocado
1 pack Animal Omega

Meal 2 + 4 + 6
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1/2 cup rice
1 tbs avocado oil or olive oil
1 cup Green vegetables
1 oz Almonds or 100g avocado

Meal 3
7.5 oz 90% lean grass fed beef or Atlantic salmon
1/2 cup rice
2 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
Green salad with carrots and tomatoes

Pre-workout drink right before training into the first 10 mins of training
1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus

Post-Workout meal (5) / Off day repeat chicken meal
3 scoops Universal Iso-Whey Vanilla
75g carbs from Rice chex, carbo plus, or muffins

Universal ZMA before bed

J.Halladay
02-28-17, 2:57 pm
Taking a break from the excessive carbs and tapering down volume in the gym for 8 weeks.

Reasons:
1. Decrease inflammation (less volume / less carbs / more healthy fats)
2. Lose some weight (fat) 10-15 lbs
3. Heal some chronic injuries (hoping) Help knee heal quicker being lighter
4. Improve digestion (recovery from some UC flare ups)
5. Not have taken a break from training and diet in 10 years.

Weight Training: 3 Days per week / No super sets or drop sets / Straight sets to failure in the 8-12 rep range
Split: Chest/ Shoulders, Back/ Hams, Legs, abs
Cardio: 30 mins steady state cardio moderate pace 6x per week
Diet: Below
Fluid: Coffee, Water, Bcaas ONLY

Meal 1
1.5 cups egg whites
2 whole Pasture raised eggs
2 pc Ezekiel Bread
3/4th cup mixed berries
100g avocado
1 pack Animal Omega

Meal 2 + 4 + 6
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1/2 cup rice
1 cup Green vegetables

Meal 3
1/2 cup rice

1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus

Universal ZMA before bed

Still carbs with every meal? Do you ever do any straight protein/greens or protein/fat meals with no carbs?

J.Halladay
02-28-17, 2:57 pm
I stick with isolates 90% of the time! I do use Animal muscle food here and there but the Vanilla Iso Whey digests like Water! I love it!

Second this! Iso digest like water!

ChrisTuttle
02-28-17, 3:04 pm
Second this! Iso digest like water!

damm right! Makes you scratch your head wondering why so many other complain of gas, bloating, and lack of appetite with other brands! Sketch!

s4rgonnn
03-06-17, 11:03 pm
hey man how you doing?

Whats your approach on high, low, medium volume training. I trained all of these but see no difference. If you train low volume with highest intensity, you will gain as much as muscle like high volume training. Is that true?

ChrisTuttle
03-07-17, 8:14 pm
hey man how you doing?

Whats your approach on high, low, medium volume training. I trained all of these but see no difference. If you train low volume with highest intensity, you will gain as much as muscle like high volume training. Is that true?

It is best to train high intensity with moderate volume for size/hypertrophy and the amount of volume is really on average from 12-18 sets per body part but that can vary greatly from person to person. You can judge this by how fat you recovery or lack there of. You always should have a deload week / a week with lower volume and intensity to allow the body to fully recover.

6-10 rep range with 90sec to 2 min rest between sets

Rex
03-28-17, 10:43 am

ChrisTuttle
03-28-17, 5:23 pm

Knee is actually getting better at a faster rate now. I am up too 5 plates on each side on leg press with NO pain. Each week I am able to do a little heavier and more reps without pain. Although I have to be very careful and train very slow and controlled! I am so afraid of hurting it again.

J.Halladay
03-30-17, 5:24 pm
Knee is actually getting better at a faster rate now. I am up too 5 plates on each side on leg press with NO pain. Each week I am able to do a little heavier and more reps without pain. Although I have to be very careful and train very slow and controlled! I am so afraid of hurting it again.

what was the actual diagnosis?

ChrisTuttle
03-31-17, 6:15 pm
what was the actual diagnosis?

chondromalacia my friend! Now my knee grinds every time I bend it HAHHA

J.Halladay
04-12-17, 4:44 pm
chondromalacia my friend! Now my knee grinds every time I bend it HAHHA

Geezzeeee i feel for you brother, i really do. My knees kill, and they dont grind. God bless you....

ChrisTuttle
04-12-17, 5:25 pm
Geezzeeee i feel for you brother, i really do. My knees kill, and they dont grind. God bless you....

We are getting old man! LOL! The problem is my mind is like an 19 year old and my body is like 50! HAHA!

I can actually hear the grinding when I do legs! HHAHA

Sup3rCell
04-14-17, 4:33 am
Hey Chris,

I sent you a pretty long message regarding GI issues I've been dealing with lately. Was hoping to get your insight on the matter when you get a chance.

I appreciate it!

ChrisTuttle
04-15-17, 6:59 pm
Hey Chris,

I sent you a pretty long message regarding GI issues I've been dealing with lately. Was hoping to get your insight on the matter when you get a chance.

I appreciate it!

All set bud!

J.Halladay
04-16-17, 1:57 pm
We are getting old man! LOL! The problem is my mind is like an 19 year old and my body is like 50! HAHA!

I can actually hear the grinding when I do legs! HHAHA

yup, we are basically in the same boat! hahaha

Sup3rCell
04-18-17, 3:45 pm
All set bud!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to such a long message. You obviously didn't have to take the time to reply, so I appreciate it. I actually checked my inbox, but I haven't received your response. I don't have that many messages saved. Not sure why it didn't go through.

ChrisTuttle
04-20-17, 8:27 pm
Thanks for taking the time to reply to such a long message. You obviously didn't have to take the time to reply, so I appreciate it. I actually checked my inbox, but I haven't received your response. I don't have that many messages saved. Not sure why it didn't go through.

Got it bud and replied!

ChrisTuttle
04-20-17, 8:28 pm
yup, we are basically in the same boat! hahaha

I really wish I was more careful training when I was younger

Sup3rCell
04-21-17, 8:03 am
Got it bud and replied!

Not sure why I can't receive messages on here? I only have a total of 8 messages saved, so my inbox is far from being full. I'll send you another message with my email address. If it isn't too much to ask, maybe you can send it to my email address? I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for the bother! I feel like I am making this more complicated than it has to be haha. Thanks for your patience!

Shidler57
04-21-17, 2:04 pm
Love your stuff Chris! Thanks so much for all of the info! Could you post your favorite training split to cut?

ChrisTuttle
04-25-17, 5:34 pm
Not sure why I can't receive messages on here? I only have a total of 8 messages saved, so my inbox is far from being full. I'll send you another message with my email address. If it isn't too much to ask, maybe you can send it to my email address? I'd really appreciate it. Sorry for the bother! I feel like I am making this more complicated than it has to be haha. Thanks for your patience!

I just replied again. If it do not go through I will send to your email

ChrisTuttle
04-25-17, 5:36 pm
Love your stuff Chris! Thanks so much for all of the info! Could you post your favorite training split to cut?

Thanks! My training split never changes from off season to prep except i train Less in he off season. I might do 4 x per week and 5x per week on prep

Lats (pull downs) calves
Chest/ Shoulders
Quads / Hams
OFF
Upper back / abs
ARMS
OFF

Sup3rCell
04-28-17, 12:17 pm
I just replied again. If it do not go through I will send to your email

Message received. Thanks again! Hope you have an amazing weekend!

ChrisTuttle
04-28-17, 1:59 pm
Message received. Thanks again! Hope you have an amazing weekend!

No problem bud! Sorry for the delay!

ChrisTuttle
04-28-17, 2:08 pm
At this point Ii seems that I will be competing in May 2018!!!! Very excited. 2-3 shows based on how my knee is recovering. I am up to 260 lbs body weight and still will do 212! IF however I go up to 270 I will do open!

Knee status: I am able to do the following: Hack squat 3 plates, leg press 6 plates, leg ext, and lunge with body weight without any pain.

So that is a serious difference to 6 months ago when I could not even do the leg press with no weight on it.

ChrisTuttle
04-28-17, 2:16 pm
My new favorite arm workout

Rope press down 3-5 sets 15-20 reps (elbows pointed out and pull rope all the way apart and pause for 1sec hold)
Lying triceps extension with DB (hammer grip) slow and controlled motions full range of motion. Feeling stretch at the bottom of the motion 4 sets 10-15 reps
Standing over head cable triceps ext with EZ bar (full range of motion gaining slight stretch on the bottom of each rep and extend arms 100% locked. Slow and controlled motions 3-4 sets 8-15 reps
Cybex Preacher weight stack machine 4 sets 8-12 reps (nutty feel)
Hammer curl DB or Cable with Rope 4 sets 6-10 reps

J.Halladay
04-28-17, 4:53 pm
Thanks! My training split never changes from off season to prep except i train Less in he off season. I might do 4 x per week and 5x per week on prep

Lats (pull downs) calves
Chest/ Shoulders
Quads / Hams
OFF
Upper back / abs
ARMS
OFF

whats your nutrition look like on off days?

J.Halladay
04-28-17, 4:54 pm

broooo - SAMEEEEEEE. Paying for it now...

J.Halladay
04-28-17, 4:55 pm
At this point Ii seems that I will be competing in May 2018!!!! Very excited. 2-3 shows based on how my knee is recovering. I am up to 260 lbs body weight and still will do 212! IF however I go up to 270 I will do open!

Knee status: I am able to do the following: Hack squat 3 plates, leg press 6 plates, leg ext, and lunge with body weight without any pain.

So that is a serious difference to 6 months ago when I could not even do the leg press with no weight on it.

Any progress is progress! Glad to see you are moving in the right direction!

ChrisTuttle
05-02-17, 6:45 pm
whats your nutrition look like on off days?

I really do not change my nutrition in the off days besides no high carb post workout meal

ChrisTuttle
05-02-17, 6:46 pm
Still carbs with every meal? Do you ever do any straight protein/greens or protein/fat meals with no carbs?

I must have missed this question broski! In off season? never really. Only when dieting

ChrisTuttle
05-02-17, 6:47 pm

I just remember some older lifters telling me when I was young that I need to lower the weight and do better form. In my head I was like, "whatever old man." HAHHA

MRmichael.hooker
05-05-17, 9:56 am

I know I'm no where on your guys level. But if it helps any, I've been pretty careful throughout most of my lifting life. Also am a big pusher for warming up, stretching, protecting myself by not doing unnecessary slinging around weights, staying hydrated, etc. Still have managed to tear a hammy and rip my intercostals lol. At least we're bigger than the average and our body shows discipline and hard work.

ChrisTuttle
05-11-17, 5:53 pm
I know I'm no where on your guys level. But if it helps any, I've been pretty careful throughout most of my lifting life. Also am a big pusher for warming up, stretching, protecting myself by not doing unnecessary slinging around weights, staying hydrated, etc. Still have managed to tear a hammy and rip my intercostals lol. At least we're bigger than the average and our body shows discipline and hard work.

I believe it. The body is not really meant to do what we do to it. I tore my hamstring too warming up! Horrible! I just wish the cartilage would heal FASTER!

MRmichael.hooker
05-11-17, 6:02 pm
I believe it. The body is not really meant to do what we do to it. I tore my hamstring too warming up! Horrible! I just wish the cartilage would heal FASTER!

Lol mine was a similar situation. I was finishing my workout and doing a couple of very light sets of hamstring curls just to pump some blood in and it snapped. I was more upset it didn't happen doing something better, story wise. If you're hurt, it's easier to say "I was deadlifting 600lbs and it snapped" instead of "I was doing machine curls with 30lbs"

ChrisTuttle
05-11-17, 9:12 pm
Lol mine was a similar situation. I was finishing my workout and doing a couple of very light sets of hamstring curls just to pump some blood in and it snapped. I was more upset it didn't happen doing something better, story wise. If you're hurt, it's easier to say "I was deadlifting 600lbs and it snapped" instead of "I was doing machine curls with 30lbs"

Yes very true however it might have been a more catastrophic tear. You never know. My just has tons of scar tissue in it and is totally dysfunctional.

MRmichael.hooker
05-11-17, 10:29 pm
Yes very true however it might have been a more catastrophic tear. You never know. My just has tons of scar tissue in it and is totally dysfunctional.

Very true. I got tired of telling people at work what happened, so I started telling people it was a bear attack (some actually believed it).

Did you try ART on it? That was the only thing that helped me with the scar tissue

ChrisTuttle
05-12-17, 8:26 pm
Very true. I got tired of telling people at work what happened, so I started telling people it was a bear attack (some actually believed it).

Did you try ART on it? That was the only thing that helped me with the scar tissue

AHAH that is funny!

Yes tried quite a bit. It happened in 2009. Never been right since and sometimes it acts up or gets aggravated

Fe-MD
05-13-17, 9:45 am
What is your opinion on/experience with beef protein powders Chris? I know the amino acid profile isnt great (particularly the BCAA content). I have been taking a break from whey, and can't really tolerate any of the other sources of powdered protein (and definitely can't stomach 100% of my protein in whole foods).

ChrisTuttle
05-15-17, 8:13 pm
What is your opinion on/experience with beef protein powders Chris? I know the amino acid profile isnt great (particularly the BCAA content). I have been taking a break from whey, and can't really tolerate any of the other sources of powdered protein (and definitely can't stomach 100% of my protein in whole foods).

I think it is a great alternative in situations like yourself. I have quite a few clients that cannot tolerate whey. They go for egg protein or beef protein. How much protein are you eating per day?

Fe-MD
05-16-17, 7:40 am
I stick to 1.25 grams per pound. That should be enough to more than cover my amino acid bases. I have done more in the past but my digestion seems to be better when I stick to 1-1.25 g/lb. I try to keep my protein powder usage to 2 scoops a day. I have been thinking of trying muscle egg egg whites. From what I have read people seem to have an easier time digesting them as opposed to pasteurized egg whites, though I don't now why. Any experience with those kind of drinks?

Do you ever use things like almond milk or no sugar added rice milk for dairy alternatives when eating stuff like cereal, or just trying to up calcium intake? How common is it for the fillers like carrageenan and the different gums they use in those to be problematic?

ChrisTuttle
05-17-17, 7:54 am
I stick to 1.25 grams per pound. That should be enough to more than cover my amino acid bases. I have done more in the past but my digestion seems to be better when I stick to 1-1.25 g/lb. I try to keep my protein powder usage to 2 scoops a day. I have been thinking of trying muscle egg egg whites. From what I have read people seem to have an easier time digesting them as opposed to pasteurized egg whites, though I don't now why. Any experience with those kind of drinks?

Do you ever use things like almond milk or no sugar added rice milk for dairy alternatives when eating stuff like cereal, or just trying to up calcium intake? How common is it for the fillers like carrageenan and the different gums they use in those to be problematic?

Oh yeah that amount of protein should go down super easy. I wonder why you are having digestion issues or slow digestion with that amount. What are your vegetables of choice and starches?

I so seldom use Almond milk or anything like that. no reason really other than I just don't.

Cooked egg whites digest the best. Some people can digest raw egg whites just fine but cooked them does increase digestibility. Again doing too many eggs gives your GI a high sulfur content which can upset your stomach.

Fe-MD
05-21-17, 8:21 am
Oh yeah that amount of protein should go down super easy. I wonder why you are having digestion issues or slow digestion with that amount. What are your vegetables of choice and starches?

I so seldom use Almond milk or anything like that. no reason really other than I just don't.

Cooked egg whites digest the best. Some people can digest raw egg whites just fine but cooked them does increase digestibility. Again doing too many eggs gives your GI a high sulfur content which can upset your stomach.

VEggies are spinach and green beans (canned, no sodium).

Would that include an eg protein powder like egg pro? What do you think is a good limit for the egg protein intake to not risk overdoing it? Maybe keep egg sources to one or two meals a day and judge from there?

LAstly, I saw you mention you have been feeling much better with a higher fat and moderate carb approach to your offseason. Do you just feel less bloated and have more stable energy? What does your diet look like now, and how much more fat and less carbs do you think you are eating now compared to before?

Fe-MD
05-21-17, 11:24 am
Veggies are spinach and green beans (canned, no sodium).

Would that include an eg protein powder like egg pro? What do you think is a good limit for the egg protein intake to not risk overdoing it? Maybe keep egg sources to one or two meals a day and judge from there?

Lastly, I saw you mention you have been feeling much better with a higher fat and moderate carb approach to your offseason. Do you just feel less bloated and have more stable energy? What does your diet look like now, and how much more fat and less carbs do you think you are eating now compared to before?

A few more questions I thought of regarding food and supps for digestions (this thread is turning into a conversation with just us lol!)

1. Do you find for most that oatmeal digests better cooked, or eaten raw (I would blend it in a shake)?
2. As an RD, and working with clients on diet, do you ever recommend digestive enzymes? Also, in your opinion, would pancreatic enzymes or plant based enzymes be better? I have read that pancreatic/animal sourced enzymes require an alkaline pH, so don't start working until they reach the duodenum and bicarbonate makes the contents entering from the stomach more alkaline. Plant enzymes on the other hand are supposedly much more stable over a wide range of pHs, so they can start pre-digesting the food in the stomach. This is all according to "science" though, and just like weight lifting, what empirically works better can differ than studies.
3. In line with digestive enzymes, I have seen lots of people using betaine HCL to supplement stomach acid or improve protein digestion. Do you have any experience with these or any clients that use them?

ChrisTuttle
05-25-17, 9:58 pm
VEggies are spinach and green beans (canned, no sodium).

LAstly, I saw you mention you have been feeling much better with a higher fat and moderate carb approach to your offseason. Do you just feel less bloated and have more stable energy? What does your diet look like now, and how much more fat and less carbs do you think you are eating now compared to before?

Those veges should be fine. Now It is all about finding out what the issue is with you GI. I would drop down to eggs (including egg pro) to once per day for 5 days then increase to see if you is occuring gets worse.

I like higher fat and moderate carbs for 3 reasons.
1: easier to eat more fats than carbs
2: too many carbs make my UC flare up. Carbs tend to be inflammatory in my opinion
3. I feel much better energy and my belly does not get distended

This is what my diet looks like as of yesterday

Meal 1
1.25 cups egg whites
1 whole Pasture raised eggs
4 Gluten Free pancakes VANS (not because they do no have gluten but because they digest like water)
3/4th cup mixed berries + 1 banana
3 tbs peanut butter
1 pack Animal Omega

Meal 2 + 4 + 6
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1 cup rice
1 cup Green vegetables

Meal 3
1 cup rice

1 scoop Atomic 7
1 scoop Carbo plus

ChrisTuttle
05-25-17, 10:09 pm
A few more questions I thought of regarding food and supps for digestions (this thread is turning into a conversation with just us lol!)

1. Do you find for most that oatmeal digests better cooked, or eaten raw (I would blend it in a shake)?
ANSWER: I cannot digest oatmeal almost at all anymore. If I do it has to be very little like 40g. I personally do not find a difference if I cook it or eat it raw but again I use 1 min old fashion oats. NOT ROLLED OATS

2. As an RD, and working with clients on diet, do you ever recommend digestive enzymes? Also, in your opinion, would pancreatic enzymes or plant based enzymes be better? I have read that pancreatic/animal sourced enzymes require an alkaline pH, so don't start working until they reach the duodenum and bicarbonate makes the contents entering from the stomach more alkaline. Plant enzymes on the other hand are supposedly much more stable over a wide range of pHs, so they can start pre-digesting the food in the stomach. This is all according to "science" though, and just like weight lifting, what empirically works better can differ than studies.
ANSWER: I never recommend digestive enzymes to clients only probiotics. I mean if someone has pancreatic insufficiency that is a different story. What i do instead is to remove the problem foods from the diet.

3. In line with digestive enzymes, I have seen lots of people using betaine HCL to supplement stomach acid or improve protein digestion. Do you have any experience with these or any clients that use them?
ANSWER: I do not believe in betaine HCL for helping digestion of protein. Bromelain maybe a better shot. I really feel most bodybuilders have such issues digesting foods is because of the pure amount of food and their diets generally lack a variety of fruits and veges which play a role in digestion. Different foods work as a synergy.

Fe-MD
06-04-17, 3:34 pm
Hey chris, is it pretty common for someone to experience increased gas/bloating or change in bowel habits when starting a probiotic, especially if you haven't been eating any fermented foods or taking probiotics for a long time?

Are there any particular probiotic brands or strains you like to recommend to people?

Hope your UC is doing well and your life is going good!

ChrisTuttle
06-06-17, 10:13 pm
Hey chris, is it pretty common for someone to experience increased gas/bloating or change in bowel habits when starting a probiotic, especially if you haven't been eating any fermented foods or taking probiotics for a long time?

Are there any particular probiotic brands or strains you like to recommend to people?

Hope your UC is doing well and your life is going good!

I have heard that before to a possible side effect of starting but more so with digestive enzymes. I have not once heard any of my clients complain of that. I would say it is certainly possible.

UDO's Super 8 is great all around probiotic

Fe-MD
06-21-17, 10:43 pm
I enjoyed the video where you talked about the various macro splits for offseason. Would you say you are closer to the 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 35% fat?

In terms of lean gains would you say you tend to stay leaner using more fats and less carbs even with the same amount of calories as a higher carb approach, or is it really only for the digestive benefits you get with higher fats?

Fe-MD
06-21-17, 10:48 pm
Also, how much sodium would you say you eat daily? I know some large meta analysis that came out recently have shown that the groups of people that had the lowest risk of all cause mortality consumed 3-5 grams of sodium daily. Below 3 grams and above 5 grams had higher rates of all cause mortality. I have only gotten in around 2 grams a day, and I have an ileostomy so I probably lose more sodium than the average person (and dont have a colon to re absorb some). Thinking about bumping up to 3 grams+

ChrisTuttle
06-23-17, 8:54 am
I enjoyed the video where you talked about the various macro splits for offseason. Would you say you are closer to the 40% protein, 25% carbs, and 35% fat?

In terms of lean gains would you say you tend to stay leaner using more fats and less carbs even with the same amount of calories as a higher carb approach, or is it really only for the digestive benefits you get with higher fats?

Macro split for the MOST part will not effect your body composition if you are eating adequate energy intake (total calories). Unless the macros are extreme Carbs being >60 and protein being <15. I adjust them to enhance appetite and digestion. Easier for me to digest more calories in fats then eating 2.5 cups of rice per meal. I feel better too as well. More energy, better sleep, and more regular.

ChrisTuttle
06-23-17, 8:55 am
Also, how much sodium would you say you eat daily? I know some large meta analysis that came out recently have shown that the groups of people that had the lowest risk of all cause mortality consumed 3-5 grams of sodium daily. Below 3 grams and above 5 grams had higher rates of all cause mortality. I have only gotten in around 2 grams a day, and I have an ileostomy so I probably lose more sodium than the average person (and dont have a colon to re absorb some). Thinking about bumping up to 3 grams+

That is hard to say for me. I do not keep track per day. If I had to guess probably around 3-4g per day. Which is considered average intake. I do add spices that have salt in to each meal for sure.

Fe-MD
06-26-17, 8:38 am
THe higher fat lower carb diet is helping digestion for sure. At a body weight of 145 I am getting in about 2500 cals with 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carb. That lands me around ~250 grams protein, ~110 grams fat, and ~125 grams carbs. Not gaining any weight doing this. Protein is already very high so should I just bump up fats and/or carbs some?

MRmichael.hooker
06-28-17, 10:36 am
Hey Chris, I had sort of a weird/peculiar question for you, especially with your nutrition background. Do you have any experience/background with women who are breastfeeding? Trying to help my wife and it's something I've not worked with before.

ChrisTuttle
06-28-17, 3:12 pm
THe higher fat lower carb diet is helping digestion for sure. At a body weight of 145 I am getting in about 2500 cals with 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carb. That lands me around ~250 grams protein, ~110 grams fat, and ~125 grams carbs. Not gaining any weight doing this. Protein is already very high so should I just bump up fats and/or carbs some?

I would bring both fats and carbs up. Say 500 calories per day total. Add 300 cal in fat and 200 cals in carbs

ChrisTuttle
06-28-17, 3:14 pm
Hey Chris, I had sort of a weird/peculiar question for you, especially with your nutrition background. Do you have any experience/background with women who are breastfeeding? Trying to help my wife and it's something I've not worked with before.

Yes I do and have helped many woman throughout pregnancy and postpartum. Is she have issues?

MRmichael.hooker
06-28-17, 4:51 pm
Yes I do and have helped many woman throughout pregnancy and postpartum. Is she have issues?

Her issues are milk supply. Of course, she's trying to get back to pre-preggo weight but it's a fine line of losing weight & getting enough cals in to produce milk. Everything I've read says around 1800-2200 cals are needed a day for a woman to produce milk. I'm honestly not really sure where my question lies, lol, because I don't know much about it.

ChrisTuttle
06-28-17, 7:18 pm
Her issues are milk supply. Of course, she's trying to get back to pre-preggo weight but it's a fine line of losing weight & getting enough cals in to produce milk. Everything I've read says around 1800-2200 cals are needed a day for a woman to produce milk. I'm honestly not really sure where my question lies, lol, because I don't know much about it.

I mean I am no OBGYN but most common issues are stress, not drinking enough fluids, low estrogen, and or not breast feeding or pumping enough. The less pumping and feeding that occurs quite often breast milk production will decrease. What does the OBGYN say?

MRmichael.hooker
06-29-17, 9:16 am
I mean I am no OBGYN but most common issues are stress, not drinking enough fluids, low estrogen, and or not breast feeding or pumping enough. The less pumping and feeding that occurs quite often breast milk production will decrease. What does the OBGYN say?

So her milk comes in decently enough. She feeds him regularly and then pumps every 2.5-3 hours at work (pumps twice). Rest of the time, she feeds him directly. Where the concerns are coming in is now he's eating more, so his day care is asking for more milk and it's hard to just PRODUCE more immediately. The other issue is she was sick for a couple weeks so her supply has been a little lower than normal, which isn't helping with the fact he needs more too lol. Her biggest issue is getting enough cals in. She's started tracking her cals & macros a lot more like she use to before she had him. She eats pretty healthy most of the time with lots of fruits/veggies & lean proteins & healthy fats and carbs. It's more so just making sure she IS eating enough during the day at work. Do you think something like Animal Mass would be beneficial? I know it's a 'weight gainer' but to me, a 'weight gainer' is only a larger amount of calories/macros compared to a normal protein powder. Just trying to bounce some ideas around.

ChrisTuttle
06-29-17, 9:25 am
So her milk comes in decently enough. She feeds him regularly and then pumps every 2.5-3 hours at work (pumps twice). Rest of the time, she feeds him directly. Where the concerns are coming in is now he's eating more, so his day care is asking for more milk and it's hard to just PRODUCE more immediately. The other issue is she was sick for a couple weeks so her supply has been a little lower than normal, which isn't helping with the fact he needs more too lol. Her biggest issue is getting enough cals in. She's started tracking her cals & macros a lot more like she use to before she had him. She eats pretty healthy most of the time with lots of fruits/veggies & lean proteins & healthy fats and carbs. It's more so just making sure she IS eating enough during the day at work. Do you think something like Animal Mass would be beneficial? I know it's a 'weight gainer' but to me, a 'weight gainer' is only a larger amount of calories/macros compared to a normal protein powder. Just trying to bounce some ideas around.

I see! Def no supps while breast feeding. FOOD! Plan for that food prep but even then calories actually have to be very low for production to decrease. I diet woman while breast feeding with no issue. If cals are 1700 or more she should be fine.

MRmichael.hooker
06-29-17, 9:59 am
I see! Def no supps while breast feeding. FOOD! Plan for that food prep but even then calories actually have to be very low for production to decrease. I diet woman while breast feeding with no issue. If cals are 1700 or more she should be fine.

Ok good to know. She's aiming around 1800-2000 so she should be alright.

ChrisTuttle
06-30-17, 6:33 am
Ok good to know. She's aiming around 1800-2000 so she should be alright.

Awesome! I am sure it will turn around.

J.Halladay
06-30-17, 1:16 pm
what phase are you in right now brother? getting ready for anything or still trying to get fully healthy?

ChrisTuttle
07-04-17, 4:55 pm
what phase are you in right now brother? getting ready for anything or still trying to get fully healthy?

I am in got married mode! HAAH! No, still training and slowly progressing but nothing out of this world. Just taking time and being patient with my knee. It is crazy for this thing has been injured almost a year! 4 different docs have no idea. Just doing my rehab work for my leg and focusing on my back and arms.

Fe-MD
07-13-17, 2:06 pm
Cngrats on the wedding chris!!

I recently bought a vegetable steamer. Should I be concerned about any kind of micro nutrient losses when steaming, mainly potassium?

ChrisTuttle
07-14-17, 7:04 pm
Cngrats on the wedding chris!!

I recently bought a vegetable steamer. Should I be concerned about any kind of micro nutrient losses when steaming, mainly potassium?

Thanks bud!

No you should not. Just do not over cook them. Plus the loss of nutrients is mainly with boiling with water soluble vitamin loss. Steaming is good to go!

J.Halladay
07-31-17, 1:12 pm
I am in got married mode! HAAH! No, still training and slowly progressing but nothing out of this world. Just taking time and being patient with my knee. It is crazy for this thing has been injured almost a year! 4 different docs have no idea. Just doing my rehab work for my leg and focusing on my back and arms.

i hear that brother - we just set our date, oct 26, 2018 - never knew how much stress something 15 months away could cause!

ChrisTuttle
07-31-17, 2:22 pm
i hear that brother - we just set our date, oct 26, 2018 - never knew how much stress something 15 months away could cause!

HAHHA dude just you wait! Wedding planning is way more stressful than an actually prep and it is because of woman! HAHHA

Rex
08-06-17, 6:18 pm
Chris,

Whatīs your take on weighing meats raw vs. cooked?
I have my theory but I would like to hear yours.
Which one is the more precise way to go?

ChrisTuttle
08-07-17, 9:49 am
Chris,

Whatīs your take on weighing meats raw vs. cooked?
I have my theory but I would like to hear yours.
Which one is the more precise way to go?

I have the best answer for this. It is not about being precise it is about being consistent. I have had clients in preps measuring things in correctly and realize it 4 weeks out. At that point, it does not matter any more since I was basing changes off what they WERE doing. Going back making the correction at that point is almost taking a step backward. Plus it is splitting hairs at that point in regards to accuracy. I personally think measuring everything raw is a waste of time. I cook a large amount of chicken, rice, sirloin, potatoes, and throw together meals night before with ease. Measuring everything raw is more time consuming and for not any real increased benefit. Everyone in Europe is used to that actually. Here in the states most everyone measures it cooked. The issue becomes when you over cook ground beef or make oven fried potatoes since their is a significant amount of water loss in that cooking process.

Fe-MD
08-21-17, 10:48 pm
ANy idea how much potassium you get daily? DO you think you meet or exceed the 4700mg rda? DO you recommend more than that for most?

In your latest video you mentioned you dont use intra workout drinks anymore. Do they just not digest for you while you workout (even just aminos)?

ChrisTuttle
08-23-17, 5:33 pm
ANy idea how much potassium you get daily? DO you think you meet or exceed the 4700mg rda? DO you recommend more than that for most?

In your latest video you mentioned you dont use intra workout drinks anymore. Do they just not digest for you while you workout (even just aminos)?

I am really not sure how much potassium I get in per day but I do eat a lot of tomatoes, dark leafy greens, avocado, and almonds per day. I would assume close to 4g per day. I never ever have cramping issues.

What I used to do for intra I directly pre workout now. I find it works better if I drink it right before I go. As in on the way to the gym or withing the first few sets.

J.Halladay
08-29-17, 1:26 pm
HAHHA dude just you wait! Wedding planning is way more stressful than an actually prep and it is because of woman! HAHHA

yuppppp - we are 14 months out and you would think its next week - lord help me

ChrisTuttle
08-30-17, 6:49 pm
yuppppp - we are 14 months out and you would think its next week - lord help me

HAHAHHAHHAH oh and the Mothers get into it and start putting in their two cents! LIGHTS OUT!

J.Halladay
09-25-17, 11:12 am
HAHAHHAHHAH oh and the Mothers get into it and start putting in their two cents! LIGHTS OUT! Tell me about it......

ChrisTuttle
09-25-17, 6:12 pm
DIET UPDATE: This is the same diet I have been following for the last 10 weeks without A SINGLE CHANGE to base plan (have changed refeed methods. I started at 254 lbs 10 weeks ago and currently 231 as of this morning. That is averaging 2.2 lbs per 7 days. Cardio I am doing 30 mins sessions 6x per week of moderate pace steady state. I refeed ONCE per week where I will eat 100g carbs in first 4 meals of the day. Compromised of cream of rice, white bagels, and jasmine white rice. I do have Ulcerative colitis so what I can eat is VERY limited. The only spices and condiments I can use without issues are mustard, mild salsa (small amount), salt, and curry powder. I have about 9 more lbs to go to be shredded! I will keep everyone posted.

TRAINING DAYS (6x per week) NO carbs on OFF DAYS-

WAKE- 630am- -8 oz water + 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with a mother

715am-
1 scoop Universal vanilla iso-whey
1.5 cups Egg whites
3 cups spinach
1/2 cup mushrooms
3 pc Ezekiel bead
1 tbs Natural peanut butter

845am- Pre workout (30mins prior)
half scoop Fury Apple

915am- Pre/Intra workout (I drink as I am walking in the door and finish within 10 mins of workout)
1 scoop Universal Atomic 7 Grape
1 scoop Carbo plus

1045am- (give or take 15mins)
3 scoops Universal vanilla iso-whey
3g Creatine monohydrate
1x Animal Omega pak
-DRIVE HOME- 15mins-
45g Cream of rice (36g carbs)
1/2 cup Mixed berries (10g carbs)
Cinnamon

1pm-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1.5 tsp macadamia oil
Med salad (Romaine lettuce, half carrot shredded, half med tomato, 4 slices cumcumber.
2 tbs aged balsamic Vinegar (20 cals)

3pm-
7.5 oz 90% lean ground beef
50g Sauerkraut

5pm- -8 oz water + 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with a mother

6pm-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1.5 tsp macadamia oil
Med salad (Romaine lettuce, half carrot shredded, half med tomato, 4 slices cumcumber.

9pm-
8 oz Atlantic salmon
100g Zucchini

10pm- -8 oz water + 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with a mother

Before Bed- 3 pill Universal ZMA

ChrisTuttle
09-25-17, 6:13 pm
Tell me about it......

Dude I was ready to go nuts on my Mom. Luckily Alexia and I paid for 90% of it so we could call the shots

ThatGuy
09-26-17, 12:13 pm
I like how we all agree on Apple Cider Vinegar.

We also need someone to import Cream of Rice to Europe...

ChrisTuttle
09-26-17, 8:31 pm
I like how we all agree on Apple Cider Vinegar.

We also need someone to import Cream of Rice to Europe...

You guys do not have cream of rice????????????? Rice flakes though?

ThatGuy
09-27-17, 12:46 am
You guys do not have cream of rice????????????? Rice flakes though?

We have stupidly expensive baby food "rice flakes" which are nearly the same as cream of rice (3-4Eur/350g). The granulated versions are thicker and cook to a consistency of oats (2Eur/500g).

So i'm left with my cheap oeatmeal.

ChrisTuttle
09-28-17, 12:20 pm
We have stupidly expensive baby food "rice flakes" which are nearly the same as cream of rice (3-4Eur/350g). The granulated versions are thicker and cook to a consistency of oats (2Eur/500g).

So i'm left with my cheap oeatmeal.

Oh mean! What about cream of wheat or Grits?

ThatGuy
09-28-17, 1:27 pm
Oh mean! What about cream of wheat or Grits?

Grits are available in wheat and corn version. Got raised with that stuff. I looked around in the grocery store and we have rice flour, which is equally expensive but not really the same thing as cream of rice.

MRmichael.hooker
09-29-17, 2:15 pm
When it comes to fat loss do you prefer a consistent diet approach (just for example- 250g pro, 300g carb, 40g fat) every day until progress stops and adjusting, or carb cycling?

ChrisTuttle
10-10-17, 7:26 am
Grits are available in wheat and corn version. Got raised with that stuff. I looked around in the grocery store and we have rice flour, which is equally expensive but not really the same thing as cream of rice.

Interesting. My German clients came and stayed with me for a week last week and told me similar stuff with certain foods.

ChrisTuttle
10-10-17, 7:28 am
When it comes to fat loss do you prefer a consistent diet approach (just for example- 250g pro, 300g carb, 40g fat) every day until progress stops and adjusting, or carb cycling?

Oh yes but I would start with less carbs and more fats. I have become a higher fat person and it works much better for me. I am prepping myself now for a photo shoot for Universal and have not changed my diet once for 11 weeks with steady weight loss. The only think I have changed is cardio and how my refeeds go. (high carbs days vs single large carb and fat meal once per week)

ThatGuy
10-10-17, 8:33 am
Interesting. My German clients came and stayed with me for a week last week and told me similar stuff with certain foods.

You have german clients? I could need some guidance haha ;)

ChrisTuttle
10-10-17, 8:50 pm
You have german clients? I could need some guidance haha ;)

Yes, German, Ireland, Australia, Denmark, and New Zealand. Prev a few in UK

ThatGuy
10-11-17, 2:08 am
Can i contact you somewhere directly?

ChrisTuttle
10-11-17, 6:58 am

Yes you have a PM

ChrisTuttle
10-11-17, 7:01 am

Never mind I cannot figure out how to do it. Email me at nutritionforyouct@gmail.com

Fe-MD
10-17-17, 10:19 pm
DIET UPDATE: This is the same diet I have been following for the last 10 weeks without A SINGLE CHANGE to base plan (have changed refeed methods. I started at 254 lbs 10 weeks ago and currently 231 as of this morning. That is averaging 2.2 lbs per 7 days. Cardio I am doing 30 mins sessions 6x per week of moderate pace steady state. I refeed ONCE per week where I will eat 100g carbs in first 4 meals of the day. Compromised of cream of rice, white bagels, and jasmine white rice. I do have Ulcerative colitis so what I can eat is VERY limited. The only spices and condiments I can use without issues are mustard, mild salsa (small amount), salt, and curry powder. I have about 9 more lbs to go to be shredded! I will keep everyone posted.

TRAINING DAYS (6x per week) NO carbs on OFF DAYS-

WAKE- 630am- -8 oz water + 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with a mother

715am-
1.5 cups Egg whites
3 cups spinach
1/2 cup mushrooms
3 pc Ezekiel bead

845am- Pre workout (30mins prior)
half scoop Fury Apple

915am- Pre/Intra workout (I drink as I am walking in the door and finish within 10 mins of workout)
1 scoop Universal Atomic 7 Grape
1 scoop Carbo plus

1045am- (give or take 15mins)
3g Creatine monohydrate
1x Animal Omega pak
-DRIVE HOME- 15mins-
45g Cream of rice (36g carbs)
Cinnamon

1pm-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1.5 tsp macadamia oil

3pm-
50g Sauerkraut

6pm-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
1.5 tsp macadamia oil

9pm-
8 oz Atlantic salmon
100g Zucchini

Whats the ACV for? Also, since you finish your bcaas and carboplus 10 mins into the workout, do you have extra water to drink after that?

ChrisTuttle
10-18-17, 6:14 am
Whats the ACV for? Also, since you finish your bcaas and carboplus 10 mins into the workout, do you have extra water to drink after that?

ACV= Apple cider Vinegar with a mother (pulp). Helps promote digestion by creating balanced PH in your stomach. More often than not the amount of alkaline foods we eat in a bodybuilding diet are low. The stomach acid becomes to acidic which disrupts the natural digestive bacteria in the stomach. Causing gas, bloating, and in some cases constipation. ACV being very alkaline helps balance that out thus promoting digestion. Probably one of the best things I have ever brought into my diet. I have no gas, no bloating, and are moving my bowels 2x per day during a dieting phase which is unheard of for me.

TexasJim
10-20-17, 11:15 am
Oh yes but I would start with less carbs and more fats. I have become a higher fat person and it works much better for me. I am prepping myself now for a photo shoot for Universal and have not changed my diet once for 11 weeks with steady weight loss. The only think I have changed is cardio and how my refeeds go. (high carbs days vs single large carb and fat meal once per week)

What's a good "rule of thumb" on daily fat intake for someone over 50? Currently, running 75 - 90 grams and working toward adding mass. Looking to bring my carb intake down from 250 - 350 grams.

ChrisTuttle
10-20-17, 4:48 pm
What's a good "rule of thumb" on daily fat intake for someone over 50? Currently, running 75 - 90 grams and working toward adding mass. Looking to bring my carb intake down from 250 - 350 grams.

Well it is all really dependent on what you have been doing and of course your total carb/calorie intake. Generally I do .5g fat per lbs of body weight. So I am 250 on average in the off season (not sloppy) and will do 125g fat per day total. Carbs around 250g

Fe-MD
10-20-17, 10:41 pm
Well it is all really dependent on what you have been doing and of course your total carb/calorie intake. Generally I do .5g fat per lbs of body weight. So I am 250 on average in the off season (not sloppy) and will do 125g fat per day total. Carbs around 250g

WOuld you add to both fats and carbs if not gaining from those amounts (and getting in adequate protein already)?

ChrisTuttle
10-21-17, 4:22 am
WOuld you add to both fats and carbs if not gaining from those amounts (and getting in adequate protein already)?

I would for sure add more carbs to my current plan if I was not gaining and I HAD an appetite. If I do NOT have an appetite I would do two things. Change the carbs to more simple sources but keep the amount per day the same ( bagels. white rice, English muffins (things that are generally easy to eat) and would add more fats. Maybe go up 300 cals in fats per day. Then reassess in 7 days.

TexasJim
10-21-17, 12:53 pm
I would for sure add more carbs to my current plan if I was not gaining and I HAD an appetite. If I do NOT have an appetite I would do two things. Change the carbs to more simple sources but keep the amount per day the same ( bagels. white rice, English muffins (things that are generally easy to eat) and would add more fats. Maybe go up 300 cals in fats per day. Then reassess in 7 days.

I am still using a meal plan designed by you when we worked together back in August 2016. The only adjustments I made were adding carbs to my intra and post workout meals. I have been gaining 1 to 3 pounds per month and my strength is increasing. My appetite is never an issue. My plan is to change nothing at the moment. As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.

ChrisTuttle
10-21-17, 1:55 pm
I am still using a meal plan designed by you when we worked together back in August 2016. The only adjustments I made were adding carbs to my intra and post workout meals. I have been gaining 1 to 3 pounds per month and my strength is increasing. My appetite is never an issue. My plan is to change nothing at the moment. As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Well that sounds good and if you are getting stronger along with that weight again and YOU ARE NOT getting noticeably softer then you rate is good. 1-2 lbs per month probably better.

Fe-MD
10-21-17, 9:47 pm

Thanks chris. I'm curious, with your UC do you have to take any extra vitamins or minerals (above and beyond whats in pak)?

ChrisTuttle
10-22-17, 4:14 am
Thanks chris. I'm curious, with your UC do you have to take any extra vitamins or minerals (above and beyond whats in pak)?

My UC now is 100% under control. I think I may have had 2 minor flare ups in the last 12 months. As long as I stay away from heavy stimulants, stay on strict diet, and manage stress I am 100% fine. If I have a day that is stressful and or say jacked myself up with stims I fall apart in hours. I do not take any extra vitamins no. I actually do not even take a pak. I do Fish oil, vitamin C, Ubiquinol, and B-complex.

Fe-MD
11-02-17, 8:49 pm
My UC now is 100% under control. I think I may have had 2 minor flare ups in the last 12 months. As long as I stay away from heavy stimulants, stay on strict diet, and manage stress I am 100% fine. If I have a day that is stressful and or say jacked myself up with stims I fall apart in hours. I do not take any extra vitamins no. I actually do not even take a pak. I do Fish oil, vitamin C, Ubiquinol, and B-complex.

What brand of b complex do you use? DO you use one with folic acid, or do you use any of the new ones that have pre activated/methylated b vitamins?

ChrisTuttle
11-03-17, 5:15 am
What brand of b complex do you use? DO you use one with folic acid, or do you use any of the new ones that have pre activated/methylated b vitamins?

Universal brand. They make a basic B-complex and I break the tablet into two. Take one with meal 1 and one with post workout meal (meal 2). I just do not buy into all of these new versions of vitamins.

J.Halladay
11-16-17, 10:04 am
looking awesome brother! keep killing it - would love to get a lift in soon :)

ChrisTuttle
11-17-17, 4:43 am
looking awesome brother! keep killing it - would love to get a lift in soon :)

Thanks buddy! Oh for sure! Hey i had Alexia work with Johnny. No way I am doing it AHAHH. Good dude!

J.Halladay
11-20-17, 9:11 am
Thanks buddy! Oh for sure! Hey i had Alexia work with Johnny. No way I am doing it AHAHH. Good dude!

ah that is great! yeah he rocks - lets bother NG and see when we can arrange that :)

ChrisTuttle
11-20-17, 9:15 pm
ah that is great! yeah he rocks - lets bother NG and see when we can arrange that :)

yeah great dude! Yes lets go!

ChrisTuttle
12-22-17, 7:03 am
This is my current diet 7 weeks post photo shoot. Up to 233lbs so about 16 lbs up! Staying lean and feeling great! Training is improving weekly. Digestion is perfect. Slowly adding more and more food to this as tolerated.

TRAINING DAYS (6x per week) NO carbs in meals 4-6 on OFF DAYS-

WAKE- 5am- -8 oz water + 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with a mother

615am-
1.5 cups Egg whites
3 cups spinach
1/2 cup mushrooms
2 pc Ezekiel bead
35g cream of rice Measured dry
half banana
30g blueberries
66g avocado

745am- Pre workout (10mins prior)
1/3rd scoop Fury Apple + 1.5 scoops Carbo plus + 1.5 scoops Juiced aminos + pinch of salt

915am- (give or take 15mins)
3g Creatine monohydrate
1x Animal Omega pak
-DRIVE HOME- 15mins-
52g Cream of rice (36g carbs)
half banana
1 tbs nut butter either peanut or almond
Cinnamon

1130am-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
160g jasmine white rice
1 TBS macadamia oil

2pm-
160g jasmine white rice
50g Sauerkraut
100g cooked carrots and Zucchini

6pm-
6.5 oz Chicken breast
160g jasmine white rice
1 TBS macadamia oil

9pm-
8 oz Atlantic salmon
100g cooked carrots and Zucchini